Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My issues is mostly that I don't understand why an individual would sign to work for WWE and expect them to be respectful of human rights issues above money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

expectations don't mean poo poo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sportsgenius86 posted:

My issues is mostly that I don't understand why an individual would sign to work for WWE and expect them to be respectful of human rights issues above money.

WWE totally does that "we're a family" snowjob until you realize its just a meatgrinder and Vince is insane.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

WWE totally does that "we're a family" snowjob until you realize its just a meatgrinder and Vince is insane.

Well they didn't say they were a good family

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

You know what the toughest part about being a gay, black sports-entertainer is?

The Discrimination.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Corzaa posted:

You know what the toughest part about being a gay, black sports-entertainer is?

The Discrimination.

This here what you call discrimination

It's a byproduct of institutional oppression

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This here what you call discrimination

It's a byproduct of institutional oppression

So ignore all the signs

And stay in the lines

Cause everything you do, discriminated.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You were at Mania? I met two PSP lurkers, but no other posters. :(

I was there with 2 other guys. It was a blast. Where did ya'll sit? I was facing the entrance so I had a great view.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

I was there with 2 other guys. It was a blast. Where did ya'll sit? I was facing the entrance so I had a great view.

I was in one of the wheelchair accessible sections which was like, mid-height, but straight on. Great view.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

flashy_mcflash posted:

He has exactly as much choice as Justin Gabriel and CM Punk did.
I always snicker at how simple people think walking out of a job is, especially when that job is generally looked upon with envy as being fun or easy (eg athletics). Labor mobility as a concept is always overstated, as if people typically planned their lives around working jobs that they could be forced out of for any number of reasons on any given day. If you have debts of any kind (like mortgage on a house you expected to grow old in) you're basically hosed. In practice there are very few jobs that you can up and quit from and land laterally - it requires (1) an alternative employer on the same level and (2) that said employer is totally fine hiring someone who's been known to walk off jobs. You can do that if you're in tech, but not in wrestling, not if you're a low carder. NJPW's not taking more gaijin and UFC doesn't give a poo poo if you're not already a draw

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that WWE also kept him from actually going over there to work for his own protection (their words)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

flatluigi posted:

Note that WWE also kept him from actually going over there to work for his own protection (their words)

Wouldn't you? That government does whatever the gently caress it wants and the WWE wouldn't necessarily be able to get him out of trouble.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

Wouldn't you? That government does whatever the gently caress it wants and the WWE wouldn't necessarily be able to get him out of trouble.

If they had sent The Mizarine over there, he'd have been able to save Darren from the prison.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can see D-Young benefiting from a stint in Japan.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Eltoasto posted:

Uhhh hello they could just have Big Show and Kane serve as his bodyguards, they showed in the Rumble that they can get poo poo done

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I can see D-Young benefiting from a stint in Japan.

i don't think there's anybody in the industry who wouldn't benefit from learning a variety of styles with a variety of opponents around the country/world

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattJackson13/status/565709138500812800

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
cool

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Love dem Bucks.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

HIDEO ITAMI tries his luck taking a #Selfie after defeating @mmmgorgeous at #NXTTakeOver!!! #WWENetwork

http://instagram.com/p/y-4fftgFOt/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I loved this. Excalibur's twitter is good stuff. https://twitter.com/ShutUpExcalibur/status/565712771694989313

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

:circlefap:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh hell yes I hope they troll him until he dies.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/565716799367692290

heh

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Steen was working in front of 400 people and the finish got a mixed reaction.
This isn't exactly Foley or any of the guys Eric ran off winning the WWF title.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The first comment :stare:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The first comment :stare:

guess we found brooke's personal twitter

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I haven't seen the match but I assume now Generico gets to chase, which is how it should be. You know they're both into it too, it's gonna be awesome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Steen was the one that actually got pushed hard under Cornette and was more over under him than he has been since.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Steen was the one that actually got pushed hard under Cornette and was more over under him than he has been since.
There's also that. The Cornette stuff is weird and overblown.
It should be even less of a thing than WWE forcing guys to adapt and refusing to push them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's also that. The Cornette stuff is weird and overblown.
It should be even less of a thing than WWE forcing guys to adapt and refusing to push them.

Jim Cornette posted:

Q: Why does Kevin Steen hate you?

A: Because I got him a raise, a contract renewal, Visa paid for, a 9 month undefeated run with the World Title and tons of TV time, even after he refused to lose weight to get the spot, so you tell me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If a monster heel who just murdered the most over babyface in the company got an actual celebration by the crowd after winning then someone hosed up seriously on the way to the finish.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It was a mixed reaction because they thought it's a smart crowd and everyone thought it was a DQ, non-title change at all. There's a pop as soon as Owens grabs the belt.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's really funny that people are so used to cheering heels that the best-thought-out heel move in ages is seen as bad because they didn't cheer for it

it's like what he did at the start of the match -- free heat by delaying the match actually happening because people were so excited for it to start

it's A+ writing

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

no the reaction was mixed because nobody was sure if Kevin Owens had been DQ'd, or actually won the match, and if the title was changing hands or not. The audience is actually trained to think this finishing sequence is stupid horseshit so it doesn't get the monster heel reaction you want, but instead deflates the crowd. He did get a pop when he hoisted the belt up. The problem isn't the finish itself but the lack of context for it when it happened. That's all he's saying.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 12, 2015

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I like how Cornette didn't like working with Steen & Generico because Steen didn't want to lose weight & Generico didn't want to change his gimmick or lose the mask. So then they go to the WWE, Steen loses some weight & Generico works without his mask. Then their success is somehow a jab at Cornette not being able to spot talent.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

dsriggs posted:

I like how Cornette didn't like working with Steen & Generico because Steen didn't want to lose weight & Generico didn't want to change his gimmick or lose the mask. So then they go to the WWE, Steen loses some weight & Generico works without his mask. Then their success is somehow a jab at Cornette not being able to spot talent.
I don't want him to touch fantasy booking with a 50 foot pole. That said, if there's a miserable, old, loving coot with outdated ideas of how to run a wrestling show that I want to see drop dead next week, it isn't Cornette.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

dsriggs posted:

It's context. Both of those things needed to happen for those guys to reach their potential in WWE. In ROH, they were already the hottest thing going and were mega over with the crowds there so everything Cornette wanted to do was strictly because he could.

Cornette wasn't necessarily wrong in a vacuum, he was just completely oblivious to what ROH was/is and was treating it like OVW or something.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

so wait this is the thinner kevin owens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Piss in my rear end posted:

so wait this is the thinner kevin owens?

Yeah he used to look awful: