Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Brendan Gaughan to Cup in the 62 car for 35 races. Brian Scott will be in it for the 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Boomer The Cannon posted:

26 by my count, 8 short of a full field.

Where did you find the entry list?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

On the flipside, it looks like we're gonna have a good sized entry list for the 500, so hopefully that'll make the Duels better.

EDIT: 49 cars by my count - would prefer it to be 55+, but not bad

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 11, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I live in Tampa Bay and I'd really like to drive out to the Unlimited just to say I've been to Daytona for something but I'm apparently looking at $40+ for a ticket and $20 or more for parking on top of gas and driving back across the state in the rear end hours to avoid staying at a hotel and man, it just seems like a gigantic pain.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The real problem with your trip is having to drive on I4.

Honestly If I had room I'd say crash at my place and ride with me up and back. But sadly, I moved out of my house and have it for sale, renting a room from some friends.

:smith:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

skaboomizzy posted:

I live in Tampa Bay and I'd really like to drive out to the Unlimited just to say I've been to Daytona for something but I'm apparently looking at $40+ for a ticket and $20 or more for parking on top of gas and driving back across the state in the rear end hours to avoid staying at a hotel and man, it just seems like a gigantic pain.
I'd say go to the Duels, but I think those are at night as well. I don't know how much the Nationwide race tickets would be (direct or secondary market), but it's during the day and therefore would cut out a hotel stay...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ticket sites:
-Unlimited: https://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2015/Sprint-Unlimited/Sprint-Unlimited.aspx
-Duels: https://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2015/Budweiser-Duel/Budweiser-Duel.aspx
-INXS race: https://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Tickets-Events/Events/2015/Alert-Today-Florida-300/Alert-Today-Florida-300.aspx

e- Keep in mind, if you go to the Unlimited, your ticket gets you more bang for your buck because you also get a seat to the gift that keeps on giving, LOL ARCA SUPERSPEEDWAY MADNESS. Two-for-one on your racing dollar.

Vince Vaughn Daytona 500 Grand Marshal. :(

Kid Rock Daytona 500 Pre-Race Concert. :negative:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

daslog posted:

I didn't, I just made a guesstimate based on Jayski's team chart and Twitter chatter. The 500 entry list should be out imminently, and the Xfinity/Truck lists should be out earlier than normal, if past years are any indication. I've got erranrds to run, but I'll post my guesstimates when I get back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

Vince Vaughn Daytona 500 Grand Marshal. :(

Kid Rock Daytona 500 Pre-Race Concert. :negative:

Most NASCAR fans are trapped in 2003 (at best) so this works out

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Andy Petree to FOX. He'll be their new "Rules Analyst", a la Mike Pereria on NFL broadcasts.

e- vvv I'm a little slow today, because I'm just now finding the humor in NASCAR's "rules analyst". "Well, that's in the rulebook in Section (mumbles incoherently) which says (mumbles more).". Maybe he'll just quote Actions Detrimental to Stock Car Racing constantly.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 11, 2015

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Andy Petree to FOX. He'll be their new "Rules Analyst", a la Mike Pereria on NFL broadcasts.

"You see, Tony's going to get fined for saying "these tires aren't very good' because of rules."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I find TV stuff interesting, so I'm intrigued at how FOX and NBC have been able to take as many TNT and ESPN castoffs as possible to build their on-air teams. Rusty at MRN is an oddball and, of course, NBC is from scratch, but looking at it:

TNT: Alexander (FOX INXS PBP), Petty (NBC host), Dallenbach (NASCAR RaceHub cameos); Neville (FOX), Snider (NBC), Sheheen, Yocum (already at FOX)
ESPN: Bestwick, Jarrett (NBC), Petree (FOX); Punch, Massaro (NBC), Burns (NBC), Little (FOX), Welch (FS1), Wallace (MRN)

There are only a handful we won't see this year.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

daslog posted:

Trucks should look something like this:

quote:

02 - Young
05 - Townley
07 - Black
4 - Jones
6 - Benning
8 - Nemechek
10 - Cobb
11 - Kennedy
13 - Hayley
14 - Hemric
15 - Mingus
17 - Peters
19 - Reddick
20 - Lagasse
23 - SRA
29 - TBD
31 - Buescher
33 - Dillon
35 - Marks
50 - Bell
51 - Busch or Suarez
54 - Boston
88 - Crafton
92 - Gilliland
94 - Kvapil
98 - Sauter
99 - Silas

There's some guys looking for sponsorship, and guys who usually show up for the plate races (FDNY Racing, Chris "Therapist" Fontaine), plus teams that are going to be there for the Nationwide race and might have some equipment ready to go for that sweet, sweet S+P money (Johanna Long, Ryan Sieg, Mario Gosselin). I'm sure it'll get filled.

The Nationwide field looks better for Speedweeks:

quote:

0 - Rhodes
1 - Sadler
2 - Scott
3 - Dillon
4 - Chastain
6 - Wallace
7 - Smith
8 - Koch
9 - Elliott
13 - D. White
14 - TBD
16 - Reed
17 - Berryhill
18 - Suarez
19 - Lagasse
20 - Jones
22 - TBD
24 - McClure
25 - Townley
28 - Yeley
29 - Marks
33 - TBD
39 - Sieg
42 - Larson
43 - Armstrong
44 - Starr
51 - Clements
52 - Gase
54 - Busch
55 - Earnhardt
60 - Buescher
62 - Gaughan
70 - Cope
74 - Harmon
85 - Gerhardt
88 - Earnahrdt
93 - Wallace
03 - Long
05 - Chicken Little
TBD - Gosselin
There's a couple of S+P teams unaccounted for, plus some decent cars like the 99, 89, 80 and 98.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JWT and SRA both full time in trucks, I will watch every race.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I hope SRA and JWT develop a Kevin Steen/El Generico blood feud, minus the blood.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Suarez will be in the 51 truck.

The 99 XFINITY team is now the 29.

The 5 XFINITy team is now the 88. The 5 will run a few races, but I don't think Daytona is on their schedule.

The 03 of Johanna Long supposedly won't be ready for Daytona.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Trucks should look something like this:

There's some guys looking for sponsorship, and guys who usually show up for the plate races (FDNY Racing, Chris "Therapist" Fontaine), plus teams that are going to be there for the Nationwide race and might have some equipment ready to go for that sweet, sweet S+P money (Johanna Long, Ryan Sieg, Mario Gosselin). I'm sure it'll get filled.

The Nationwide field looks better for Speedweeks:

There's a couple of S+P teams unaccounted for, plus some decent cars like the 99, 89, 80 and 98.

I'm sorry but this list must be incorrect. Where is multiple LASTCAR winner Jeff Green???

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Suarez will be in the 51 truck.

The 99 XFINITY team is now the 29.

The 5 XFINITy team is now the 88. The 5 will run a few races, but I don't think Daytona is on their schedule.

The 03 of Johanna Long supposedly won't be ready for Daytona.
I figured it would be Suarez in the 51, and I forgot to take the 5 out of there when I was typing it out. Whoops.

I'd imagine Jeff Green will show up somewhere, and I think Mike Bliss is going to be there as well - he'll be bouncing between teamcars so the pay drivers don't DNQ, but he'll be running for fulltime points.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

NASCAR's hosting a giant AMA tomorrow from 8:30-4 EST. 20+ drivers will allegedly be in there answering questions.

Here's the tweet about it: NASCAR (link to question thread in tweet)

I know, it's Reddit, but the AMAs have been pretty fun! So make an account (Reddit doesn't even require an email to register) and ask some burning questions!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

keevo posted:

I hope SRA and JWT develop a Kevin Steen/El Generico blood feud, minus the blood.

NASCAR would be stupid not to play this up, plenty of history there. I'll happily sell the rights to backpat.avi, that is where it all started. :allears:

http://youtu.be/rXcOCKc1pc4

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
https://twitter.com/STLMotoMag/status/565647788206469123/photo/1
For Viking

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I have posted that in here before, yes

it never gets old

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

keevo posted:

4 years from now, SRA wins the Daytona 500 and gets powerbombed onto the trophy by JWT.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the night Johanna Long danced upon the Hall of Fame

e- exceptionally cocksure wheelmen

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

keevo posted:

i'd think it'd be more like the buckshot jones/randy lajoie feud, with jwt playing the part of buckshot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fans can vote now on the greatest Daytona 500 moments, whittling them down from 16 to 1 (hey, like the Chase).

Among the 12 finalists (today's the last day for that round): 2013: Danica Patrick wins Coors Light Pole.

Foyt and Andretti's wins didn't make it to the next round. Hendrick's 1-2-3 in 1997 wasn't even on the list. I know I'm taking this more seriously than most people should, but :negative:.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I know I'm taking this more seriously than most people should, but

Yeah

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Man, the early 2000s truck package at Daytona owned bones too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well poo poo the truck don't come to Indianapolis I was actually thinking of buying tickets. I guess they have completely forsaken O'reilly Park.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Man, I had forgotten how drat good the 2001 Speedweeks were. Shootout was good at the end, the Duels were good, the truck race had its moments, and the IROC ending was outstanding.

E: Welp, 2001 ARCA race time. 7 cautions for 42 laps, lmao. What am I getting myself into?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 12, 2015

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I wish I had been watching at the time, as I didn't start until 2003. Everything at Speedweeks in 2001 was good. How was the 24-Hour race that year?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

^There's a TON of older stuff on Youtube to catch up on.

IIRC the Corvettes went 1-2.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 12, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Well poo poo the truck don't come to Indianapolis I was actually thinking of buying tickets. I guess they have completely forsaken O'reilly Park.

I don't understand why they didn't keep Trucks at IRP. That former race date (or thereabouts) now belongs to Eldora, but they dropped IRP a year or two before Eldora was announced.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Harveygod posted:

I wish I had been watching at the time, as I didn't start until 2003. Everything at Speedweeks in 2001 was good. How was the 24-Hour race that year?

Laughable how much attrition happened. A gt1 car won with the vette and a gt2 car finished 2nd overall with the Earnhardt Bette in 3rd. Like the leading prototype blew an engine and was done and took an hour for the corvette to take the lead. Also a ton of rain during the race.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The 2001 ARCA race wasn't bad; the disparity in equipment made it interesting and competitive. It's funny how these fucks can handle not having an out-of-bounds rule, yet the NASCAR guys at the time couldn't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Daytona 24 was a freaking mess for a while while Grand-Am got things sorted out.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm glad NASCAR had the foresight to realize that compact, 4/6-cylinder cars wouldn't be relevant in the 2000s and decided to kill the Goody's Dash Series. :negative:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Daytona 500 Entry List:

http://www.jayski.com/news/stats/2015/story/_/page/01-Daytona-2015-Entry-List

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Time for everyone to pick the seven who gonna miss the field!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Fans can vote now on the greatest Daytona 500 moments, whittling them down from 16 to 1 (hey, like the Chase).

Among the 12 finalists (today's the last day for that round): 2013: Danica Patrick wins Coors Light Pole.

Foyt and Andretti's wins didn't make it to the next round. Hendrick's 1-2-3 in 1997 wasn't even on the list. I know I'm taking this more seriously than most people should, but :negative:.

That is bullshit. Danica's not even the most notable polesitter when you compare Loy Allen's pole in 1994, Kyle Petty in the first 500 after King retiring - even Yates sweeping the front row well past their prime in 2007.

So, let me guess, the Top 16 has the 1976 finish, the 1979 finish, and everything else is post-2008.

Sweet! Nemechek as a last-second entry. This now qualifies as a decent-sized field.

• Locked thread