Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4TnopiuzQ

Welcome to the NASCAR season SAS thread. Some of you I know, some of you I'm meeting for the first time. If you like racecars that go around in circles and turn left, this is the thread for you. If you don't, then gently caress you we'll help you learn.

The main focus of this thread is the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. The best of the best in stockcar racing, the season spans 36 races; 26 regular-season races and the 10-race Chase Playoff Elimination Buzzword Extravaganza. 16 drivers go in, 1 comes out as champion.

E: Here's a nice preview for the season, and basically NASCAR Cup 101 for any first-timers.

2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule:

quote:

Sat, Feb 14 8:00 PM ET Sprint Unlimited Daytona International Speedway FOX
Thu, Feb 19 7:00 PM ET Budweiser Duel 1 Daytona International Speedway FS1
Thu, Feb 19 8:30 PM ET Budweiser Duel 2 Daytona International Speedway FS1
Sun, Feb 22 1:00 PM ET Daytona 500 Daytona International Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 1 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Atlanta Atlanta Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 8 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Las Vegas Las Vegas Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 15 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Phoenix Phoenix International Raceway FOX
Sun, Mar 22 3:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at California Auto Club Speedway FOX
Sun, Mar 29 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville Martinsville Speedway FOX
Sat, Apr 11 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Texas Texas Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, Apr 19 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Bristol Motor Speedway FOX
Sat, Apr 25 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Richmond Richmond International Raceway FS1
Sun, May 3 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Talladega Talladega Superspeedway FOX
Sat, May 9 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kansas Kansas Speedway FS1
Fri, May 15 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Showdown Charlotte Motor Speedway FS1
Sat, May 16 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Charlotte Motor Speedway FS1
Sun, May 24 6:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Charlotte Charlotte Motor Speedway FOX
Sun, May 31 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Dover Dover International Speedway FS1
Sun, Jun 7 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Pocono Pocono Raceway FS1
Sun, Jun 14 1:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan Michigan International Speedway FS1
Sun, Jun 28 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Sonoma Sonoma FS1
Sun, Jul 5 7:45 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Daytona Daytona International Speedway NBC
Sat, Jul 11 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kentucky Kentucky Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Jul 19 1:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at New Hampshire New Hampshire Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Jul 26 3:30 PM ET The Brickyard 400 Indianapolis Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Aug 2 1:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Pocono Pocono Raceway NBCSN
Sun, Aug 9 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Watkins Glen Watkins Glen International NBCSN
Sun, Aug 16 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Michigan Michigan International Speedway NBCSN
Sat, Aug 22 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Bristol Bristol Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Sep 6 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Darlington Darlington Raceway NBC
Sat, Sep 12 7:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Richmond Richmond International Raceway NBCSN

SPRINT CUP CHASE FOR THE CUP

DATE RACE TV
Sun, Sep 20 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Chicago Chicagoland Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Sep 27 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at New Hampshire New Hampshire Motor Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Oct 4 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Dover Dover International Speedway NBCSN
Sat, Oct 10 7:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Charlotte Charlotte Motor Speedway NBC
Sun, Oct 18 2:15 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Kansas Kansas Speedway NBC
Sun, Oct 25 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Talladega Talladega Superspeedway NBCSN
Sun, Nov 1 1:15 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Martinsville Martinsville Speedway NBCSN
Sun, Nov 8 2:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Texas Texas Motor Speedway NBC
Sun, Nov 15 2:30 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Phoenix Phoenix International Raceway NBC
Sun, Nov 22 3:00 PM ET NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Miami Homestead-Miami Speedway NBC

Last year's Chase field:

Top, L-R: Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, Ryan Newman, Joey Logano, Kurt 'The Outlaw' Busch, Matt Kenseth, Aric Almirola
Bottom, L-R: Brad Keselowski, Greg Biffle, AJ Allmendinger, Kasey Kahne, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Kevin Harvick
Not Pictured: Jimmie Johnson

So what happened this off-season?

Not much, really, except for:
- Jeff Gordon announcing his retirement after the end of this season, and Chase Elliott being anointed The Chosen One at Hendrick Motorsports
- Kurt Busch going to court in some crazy stuff - hell, just Google it. It's hard to explain.
- Speaking of crazy stuff, Brian Vickers had his bi-annual near-death experience. He'll be ready to race in a few weeks, though, so don't worry.
- Joey Logano got married. If you've seen 'Rush', you know what'll happen next.
- Schedule changes! A few tweaks here and there, plus Darlington going back to Labor Day weekend, as God and Harold Brasington intended it.
- NBC reclaiming NASCAR tv rights for the second half of the season, and ESPN leaving to talk about A-Rod, Lebron, Johnny Football or some poo poo like that.
- Rules changes! Some aero changes, and tapered spacers for the Cup series, apparently because the success of the Nationwide Series :rip: was something to copy.
- Driver/Team changes aplenty:
Carl Edwards to a 4th Joe Gibbs Racing car, numbered 19
Trevor Bayne takes over Edwards' ride at Roush-Fenway, renumbered to 6
Ryan Blaney to the Wood Brothers 21, taking over for Bayne
Marcos Ambrose hosed off to Australia, replaced by The Great Buckeye Hope that is Sam Hornish
Michael Annett to HScott Racing, to be a teammate to Justin Allgaier
Alex Bowman to Tommy Baldwin Racing to drive the 7
Brendan Gaughan driving for some scrub-rear end team
John Edward Burton Burton moving to BK Racing, along with Matt Dibenedetto and JJ Yeley
Ron Hornaday driving for Curtis Key
Cole Whitt to Front Row Racing

Like I said, a quiet off-season.

---------------------------------------------------------
:siren: THE IRC CHAT IS HERE. CLICK HERE FOR IRC. I KNOW NOBODY IS GOING TO READ THE OP AND CLICK THIS BUT IT IS ALWAYS HERE. :siren:

SASCAR Synchtube thread.
Official NASCAR Site
Jayski.com, rumors & news site.
LASTCAR's LASTCAR Blog
Our Podcast, Rolling Start (archvies)

This is not the Indycar thread, this is not the F1 thread. There are threads for these. There is also a Misc. Auto Racing thread. Take discussions to the appropriate place, thanks.

One last thing - GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHORT TRACK

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Filler post for Xfinity/Trucks/ARCA/other cool stuff.

:siren: FIRST BIT OF COOL poo poo :siren:

Q: True or False: Speedweeks is just at Daytona International Speedway.
A: False! New Smyrna Speedway has their own version of Speedweeks as well. 3 different types of latemodel, Modifieds, Trucks and the K&N series on a 1/2 mile paved oval, with cars from all over the country (and :canada:) competing every night.

Q: True or False: New Smyrna Speedweeks can only be experienced in person.
A: False! Starting this year, Fanschoice.tv will have live coverage from NSS Speedweeks of practice and feature events, streaming most nights - for free!

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I will make cool images soon.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Carl Edwards could potentially miss the Daytona 500. Let's start praying to the gods that it happens :getin:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope he does and he gets fired.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm going to watch all of those races and complain about 75%~ of them.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm going to watch none of the races and complain about 100% of them.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm going to watch all of those races and complain about 75%~ of them.
I see this is not your first rodeo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR ON TV

In case you missed it, this is the first year of NASCAR's new TV deal for the Sprint Cup and Xfinity aka NXS aka INXS Series. TNT and ESPN are gone and we go back to the future, reverting to something reminiscent of 2001-2006. FOX and FOX Sports 1 (FS1) cover the first halves of the season for both series, as well as the entire Camping World Truck Series schedule. Starting with the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona, NBC and NBCSN take you to the finish. NBCSN will have the majority of the races for the K&N East and West Series, as well as Whelen Modifieds, on tape delay.

FOX and FS1 continue to carry the entire CWTS schedule, but with an overhauled on-air team. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone, replaced by Vince Welch, Kaitlyn Vincie, and Matt Yocum on a rotating basis.

-

Sprint Cup:
Booth- Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, Darrell Waltrip
Pits- Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum, Vince Welch (select races)
Hollywood Hotel- Chris Myers, Michael Waltrip (except the Daytona 500)
Rules Expert- Andy Petree
In-Race Reporter- Jeff Gordon (select events in 2015, apparently starting with the Coke 600).

The Cup team remains largely the same. Little comes over from ESPN, presumably to replace Krista Voda. More on her later. Chris Neville of FOX's sports car coverage comes to NASCAR pit road from TNT. Andy Petree is a late addition, being the NASCAR equivalent of Mike Pereira. I wish him luck finding a copy of the NASCAR Rulebook, because :lol:.

I haven't seen what's up with Jeff Hammond. Rumor was he was out.

Xfinity Series:
Booth- Adam Alexander, Michael Waltrip, Clint Bowyer/Jeff Gordon/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Danica Patrick (rotating, most events)
Pits- Vince Welch, Jamie Little, Chris Neville, Matt Yocum
Hollywood Hotel- Danielle Trotta, Larry McReynolds

This was kept secret until a couple weeks ago. TNT and FOX vet Adam Alexander gets the call along with Michael Waltrip for all Xfinity races. The big surprise comes in the form of the third man in the booth, revealed to be a rotating cast of Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, and Bad Brad hisself. (Also Clint and Danica.)

It was announced during Speedweeks that Danica Patrick will be in the booth for select races, inevitably shoulder-touching Adam Alexander to the point he files a restraining order.

Vince Welch from ESPN joins the regular pit reporters for Xfinity and Truck races and is technically the "lead pit reporter".

Trucks (Steve Byrnes Appreciation Station):
Booth- Mike Joy/Adam Alexander/Brian Till/Ralph Sheheen, Phil Parsons, Michael Waltrip/Todd Bodine
Pits- Hermie Sadler, Kaitlyn Vincie/Vince Welch/Matt Yocum (rotating)

Steve Byrnes was to be the lead announcer on the CWTS broadcasts had he been able to return, but we lost him in April. Joy, Alexander (who replaced Rick Allen last year), and sportscar pit reporter/PBP guy/former IndyCar driver Brian Till will take turns at the mic. Ralph Sheheen called the race at Dover. Todd Bodine does Color for some tripleheader weekends in place of Waltrip.

Hermie Sadler will be the only permanent pit reporter. Bob Dillner and Ray Dunlap are gone. Welch, Yocum, and NASCAR RaceHub cutie (and according to Boomer, knowledgeable host) Kaitlyn Vincie will tap in.

ARCA:
Booth- Adam Alexander/Ray Dunlap, Phil Parsons, Justin Allgaier
Pits- Ray Dunlap/Matt Yocum, Jim Tretow

Here's where Ray Dunlap ended up. Tretow used to do driver intros at Daytona.

-
Sprint Cup:
Booth- Rick Allen, Jeff Burton, Steve Letarte
Pits- Dave Burns, Mike Massaro, Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast
Hosts- Krista Voda, Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett (selected races)

Allen Bestwick said on the Awful Announcing podcast that he was offered the gig and declined because ESPN offered him a more diverse package of sports to work, including golf, tennis, basketball, football, and the Indy 500. So they picked up former CWTS PBP voice Rick Allen. Taking a new direction with color analysts, Jeff Burton and former Jeff Gordon/Dale Jr crew chief Steve Letarte will get the call. I heard these guys call the Toyota Gridiron Challenge which was a thing on TV last week and, to borrow a phrase from Benny Parsons on NBC..."not too good"...

Dave Burns and Mike Massaro come over from ESPN. Burns was on NBC the first time around, as was Marty Snider. Kelli Stavast used to do sports cars on SPEED & is an IndyCar pit reporter.

NBC's pre- and post-race hosts will be Krista Voda (ex-FOX), Kyle Petty, and the recently-added Dale Jarrett, who will work select races.

Xfinity B-team (non-companion events):
Booth- Leigh Diffey, ?
Pits- ?

NBCSN will need a B-team for a handful of non-companion Xfinity races in their half of the season (Iowa, Mid-Ohio, Road America, Kentucky). Where they go with this, nobody's said. I asked NBC's IndyCar/F1 voice Leigh Diffey on Twitter last fall if he'd be involved and he said it was possible, depending on schedule. (update- Diffey's in.)

K&N East/West:
Booth- Rick Allen/Dave Burns, Jeff Burton, Steve Letarte OR Ralph Sheheen, Frank Stoddard, Parker Kligerman

Whelen Modifieds:
Booth- Ralph Sheheen, Ray Evernham
Pits- Derek Pernesiglio

Sheheen and Evernham were hired to cover Modified races for NBCSN in April.

CBS has live racing again!

ARCA:
Booth- Ray Dunlap/Rick Benjamin, Jim Tretow, Spencer Gallagher (Winchester)
Pits- Kristin Beat

Everybody's favorite stock car series, LOL ARCA, will air three times on CBS Sports Network in addition to a smattering of races on FS1/2. Toledo was the first (and I totally forgot when I made this post). Winchester (June 28th) and Springfield (August 23rd, on :siren: DIRT :siren:) are the others.
__
Wally Dallenbach does pre/post-race studio shows on FS1. Rusty Wallace is working select races for MRN. Allen Bestwick, Ricky Craven, Dr. Jerry Punch, Shannon Spake, Brad Daugherty, and Nicole Briscoe all remain with ESPN in various capacities.

e- I guess Jeff Gordon is technically a part of FOX effective today as an in-race reporter.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 28, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Cubey posted:

Carl Edwards could potentially miss the Daytona 500. Let's start praying to the gods that it happens :getin:

Wait how? Not enough sponsorship or wha?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

keevo posted:

Wait how? Not enough sponsorship or wha?

Owner's points, or lack thereof.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Just want to say I loving love the thread title. Now if only I was excited about this season, like at all. I think I'm going to pull for Larson this year.

Cubey posted:

Oh my God, please I hope this happens.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

What's old is new again. (pity it won't qualify)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I realized JGR's Cars are now 18,19,20..................And 11

This really bothers me and I don't even like them.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Peanut President posted:

What kinda self respecting moonshine car touting "American Born" would be a loving Toyota. This also bothers me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

^^^Also notice the "DONT TREAD ON ME" on the rear quarter. As much as I hope it's a Zeb Colter reference I imagine it's 100% serious :911: poo poo on a yot.

Possibly Chicken posted:

I realized JGR's Cars are now 18,19,20..................And 11

This really bothers me and I don't even like them.

Kinda like how RCR was 3 30 31?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Noting that, in relation to us Brits, the Irish sports channel Premier Sports has finally renewed their rights for the next three years of Cup. They finally go HD in the summer, apparently.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Kinda like how RCR was 3 30 31?

Or how Stewart-Haas is 4,14,41 and 10.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Possibly Chicken posted:

What kinda self respecting moonshine car touting "American Born" would be a loving Toyota. This also bothers me.

will you please stop treading on them ??

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Possibly Chicken posted:

Or how DEI cars were always +7 because 7 championships? (1/8/15)
ed: or how none of the BK Racing cars have Burger King on them anymore?

also more terrible paint schemes:

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 12, 2015

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Brb killing myself by chewing 1 plus 14 pieces of energy gum at once.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Bad Paintjobs Part Final:

Truck series.jpg

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's one of the top teams too. The truck series is dying.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
bitcoin is the new trafficking

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

i thought that was a big flexing bicep at first. would have been cooler

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Peanut President posted:

Or how DEI cars were always +7 because 7 championships? (1/8/15)
ed: or how none of the BK Racing cars have Burger King on them anymore?

If you're not 100% sure what the terrible part of this paint scheme is it is actually just the name of the driver.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone share the bingo card tool with me.. I want to make bingo for my daytona party.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

Hendrick was 5, 25, 35 at one point.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Possibly Chicken posted:

I've always looked at that as 4+10=14

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jeff Gordon says he's considering running at least the Brickyard 400 into the future, but this will be his last Daytona 500.

Betcha he adds Kentucky if he doesn't win there this year. He's going to run like 10 races next year, isn't he?

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Peanut President posted:

^^^Also notice the "DONT TREAD ON ME" on the rear quarter. As much as I hope it's a Zeb Colter reference I imagine it's 100% serious :911: poo poo on a yot.

You should see their 1.5-mile Xfinity car (the yellow one):

Peanut President posted:

Weird scheme, but awesome to see Mike Wallace get another plate track ride. Sure, it's not a very good one, but the guy scored a pair of top-tens in the 500 driving for James Finch in the pre-Keselowski years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I had some home made moonshine for the first time on new years. It was very good.

Is the ready made stuff any good?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I had some home made moonshine for the first time on new years. It was very good.

Is the ready made stuff any good?

Moonshine ain't moonshine if it wasn't made in the woods.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I hear "Brack Maggard" and the first thing which always comes to mind is:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah BUDDY.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Possibly Chicken posted:

100%.

The Junior Johnson stuff seems to be pretty trendy at house parties right now though, and I support that cause Junior Johnson.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

Yeah the stuff I had was pretty legit, mason jar and all.

Cygni posted:

100%.

The Junior Johnson stuff seems to be pretty trendy at house parties right now though, and I support that cause Junior Johnson.

Yeah I would think if there's stuff with his name attached to it? I'll trust it. Jr. seems to drink it, and who am I to question that guy.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hear "Brack Maggard" and the first thing which always comes to mind is:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah BUDDY.

according to one episode of space ghost: coast to coast Brak is a 3-time nascar champion

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Quantrill posted:

according to one episode of space ghost: coast to coast Brak is a 3-time nascar champion

"i'm drivin' down highway 40 in my big ol' nascar truuuuck. . ."

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Cygni posted:

100%.

Junior Johnson's frozen biscuits are pretty dang tasty for being frozen. Combine it with the moonshine and you got yourself a party.

Pretty much every liquor store around me has it, might have to pick some up for my birthday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I was just out today to get bourbon for Saturday, should've picked some of this up.

• Locked thread