Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Yeah he used to look awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF03IDeZ5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Piss in my rear end posted:

so wait this is the thinner kevin owens?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oatgan posted:

no the reaction was mixed because nobody was sure if Kevin Owens had been DQ'd, or actually won the match, and if the title was changing hands or not. The audience is actually trained to think this finishing sequence is stupid horseshit so it doesn't get the monster heel reaction you want, but instead deflates the crowd. He did get a pop when he hoisted the belt up. The problem isn't the finish itself but the lack of context for it when it happened. That's all he's saying.

I literally closed my browser and went to bed as soon as the bell rang, because I assumed it would be the usual WWE bullshit DQ for "kicking too much rear end" and thus no title change. I didn't know until this morning that Owens actually won the belt for it. My fault for not sticking around for the last couple minutes but also WWE's fault for booking a match ending they've never done before.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

bradzilla posted:

WWE's fault for booking a match ending they've never done before.

Well they're clearly trying to teach fans to expect new things on NXT, between last night's finish & the heel turn after the credits on the last big NXT show

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bradzilla posted:

I literally closed my browser and went to bed as soon as the bell rang, because I assumed it would be the usual WWE bullshit DQ for "kicking too much rear end" and thus no title change. I didn't know until this morning that Owens actually won the belt for it. My fault for not sticking around for the last couple minutes but also WWE's fault for booking a match ending they've never done before.

they've done no contests before

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

That wasn't a No Contest; it was a TKO.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

well whatever term they would use in pro wrestling, if they have a term besides "stopped the match." here is a fun example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovMr0g_K9C4&t=264s

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

oatgan posted:

no the reaction was mixed because nobody was sure if Kevin Owens had been DQ'd, or actually won the match, and if the title was changing hands or not. The audience is actually trained to think this finishing sequence is stupid horseshit so it doesn't get the monster heel reaction you want, but instead deflates the crowd. He did get a pop when he hoisted the belt up. The problem isn't the finish itself but the lack of context for it when it happened. That's all he's saying.

:agreed:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yeah, when I was watching it with some friends they were all confused as to why I thought Owens wasn't walking out with the belt with those last couple powerbombs, since they don't watch as much WWE and aren't accustomed to the "getting DQ'd for kicking too much rear end" finish. That crowd is very into WWE and probably thought it was going to turn into some DQ bullshit.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:wtc:

Cornette weighs in on our argument:

quote:

@TheJimCornette 1h

Folks on my rear end today--I missed where being given minor wrestling belts equals "drawing money"--but nice to see the 2 in NXT took my advice-

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

:wtc:

Cornette weighs in on our argument:

How is the biggest belt the Bucks could win in the #2 promotion in the world a "minor belt"? Fair comment on Steen/Zayn though since Zayn especially basically did what he wanted all along.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

wrestling legends ethan page and eric ryan weigh in with their valued opinions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Thauros posted:

How is the biggest belt the Bucks could win in the #2 promotion in the world a "minor belt"? Fair comment on Steen/Zayn though since Zayn especially basically did what he wanted all along.

He's talking specifically about Steen and Generico I assume.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Ethan Page tweet is just kayfabe I think

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bryan/Orton at Battleground 2013 was a no contest, this was not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, it comes off kinda tongue-in-cheek, whereas the other dude sounds like a douche.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

He's talking specifically about Steen and Generico I assume.

Cornette's ideas were good for them going somewhere else. For ROH it was loving with a working formula.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bradzilla posted:

Bryan/Orton at Battleground 2013 was a no contest, this was not.

The last WWE match to end in a KO was on last year's Summerslam card.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
People act like the "DQ for kicking too much rear end" thing is a common occurrence. It's happened maybe twice that I can remember in a span of several years. But even when they do use it, it's because they don't obey a 5 count or refuse to listen to the referee audibly saying "I will disqualify you". When they actually do award a match decision for stoppage, it's pretty clear that it's a victory for the person doing the asskicking because the opponent can't defend himself anymore. It's not like they book every single one of those endings exactly the same. I'm not saying the DQ is good booking, but when they do it, it IS visibly different from a stoppage ending. Owens winning was only ambiguous at first because he kept pushing the referee out of the way.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Edit: Eh nevermind

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

People act like the "DQ for kicking too much rear end" thing is a common occurrence. It's happened maybe twice that I can remember in a span of several years.

It's happened like three times this year already just on the main roster.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

The last WWE match to end in a KO was on last year's Summerslam card.

But no one cares because that wasn't for a title.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Steen you're being an awful heel, that's too adorable

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm telling you, there's loving money in the loving dad who is willing to burn the world to provide for his family.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

triplexpac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm telling you, there's loving money in the loving dad who is willing to burn the world to provide for his family.

Sam Vimes: Pro Wrestler

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

Kevin Owens vs Tiger Mask

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Drinking the blood of his enemies out of a "#1 Dad" Mug.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

Chris Hero lost some weight I see.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 12, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spikeguy posted:

Lets not forget

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Undefeated professional wrestler Owen Owens.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No he doesn't

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

He's an indie wrestler on the internet in 2015, there is no kayfabe.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Twitter is destroying The Business

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So funny, yet so mean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I take it that is NOT Stephanie McMahon's twitter account?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Jerusalem posted:

I take it that is NOT Stephanie McMahon's twitter account?

she didn't say $9.99 a single time so that's probably a safe call to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The real account is: @StephMcMahon. The fake one had a L in the middle of her name. The fact she fell for it is just sad though.

Fake account has over 3,000 followers though. That's pretty good for a fake to be honest.

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 13, 2015