Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

More specifically:

searzall forum admin posted:

So you have several issues:
1) Tall cylinders present a definite safety risk (This is the most important issue by far)
2) Tall cylinders are more unwieldy
3) MapPro may damage the rear screen
4) MapPro may not be a food grade cooking gas (we, as a company are just not 100% sure)
5) MapPro costs a lot
6) With a TS8000, MapPro is not significantly faster (no real benefit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I could use some pointers on making a sauce for my shortribs (real this time, not that Costco bullshit). I'm having them tonight after soaking for 48h at 135. I've never made a sauce from the bag juice. I also don't have any non-nonstick pans (I do my searing on a baking steel), so I won't be able to get too much usable fond. Here is my plan:

1. Drain juice into pan and cook until proteins curdle/etc...
2. Scoop/strain out any solids
3. Sear the shortribs in pan
4. Deglaze pan with clarified juice
5. reduce sauce a bit
6. Add some butter
7. eat

Anything I'm missing or doing wrong here?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Throw out the gross bag juice, sear the ribs, throw some shallot into the pan and cook over medium heat for a couple minutes, deglaze with a cup of red wine and cook until syrupy, add in 4 tbsp of butter one at a time and stir until glossy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
48 hour short rib bag juice might actually be good, depends if it's a nice dark brown color or not. Anything pink or gray (usually from a cook that's shorter than 48 hours) is useless.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 10, 2015

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Pat the ribs dry with paper towel before you put them in the pan, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I find the bag juice all curdles and isn't worth the effort.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bag juice from short cooks sure but long term bag juice is already browned as if it were made with fond and doesn't curdle.

48 hours may or may not be enough time but at 72 hours it's definitely there.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 11, 2015

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
This is my go to, people love it more than the short ribs.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2514/shallot-and-red-wine-sauce
I substitute the bag juice for the stock

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Making my first thing ever with the sous vide, strip steak. The Anova app says 130 for 2 hours, does that sound reasonable?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's probably fine. I prefer my steak a little rarer and go to 52, but I think that's not that safe so 54C is probably a better option.

One thing: let the steak breathe out of the bag for a little while or it might look more grey than you expect from a midrare steak.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

That's probably fine. I prefer my steak a little rarer and go to 52, but I think that's not that safe so 54C is probably a better option.

One thing: let the steak breathe out of the bag for a little while or it might look more grey than you expect from a midrare steak.

When/how do you breath a steak?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I leave it on a cutting board for like half an hour. I noticed if I went bag to sear and then rested that the steak looked more cooked than it should. If you sliced the steak on the plate it was grey, if you waited a few minutes it would turn red.

If you don't care about the color then just do whatever.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If you aren't making a pan sauce with the bag juice from 48+ hour short ribs I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems, but my sauce ain't one.

Seriously though, after my 72 hour short ribs are done, I strain all the bag juice through some synthetic cheese cloth into a fat separator. Let the cheesecloth catch all the coagulation and the fat rises to the top and then you can decant the good poo poo from the bottom of the fat separator. Pour the decanted meat juice into a saucier, add some black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a pinch of kosher salt, a clove or two of smashed garlic, some fresh thyme, and a few tablespoons of butter. Bring it to a gentle simmer and whisk it to bring it all together. My wife calls it the money sauce.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I leave it on a cutting board for like half an hour. I noticed if I went bag to sear and then rested that the steak looked more cooked than it should. If you sliced the steak on the plate it was grey, if you waited a few minutes it would turn red.

If you don't care about the color then just do whatever.

I'm not trying to be funny, but wouldn't that leave the steak cold? 30 minutes seems like a long time.

Also, should I trim fat prior to cooking or just leave it as the butcher cut it?

Tev
Aug 13, 2008
I've got a 1 1/2 pound rump roast vizzling right now, it's been in for nearly 24 hours. My plan was to eat it tonight, but got an offer of free dinner elsewhere. I figured ~24 hours was plenty for this roast, but say I left it in for 48 will it turn to mush or should it still be good for dinner tomorrow? Do I have any other options like pulling it at 24 hours and tossing it in the fridge and just reheating tomorrow?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tev posted:

I've got a 1 1/2 pound rump roast vizzling right now, it's been in for nearly 24 hours. My plan was to eat it tonight, but got an offer of free dinner elsewhere. I figured ~24 hours was plenty for this roast, but say I left it in for 48 will it turn to mush or should it still be good for dinner tomorrow? Do I have any other options like pulling it at 24 hours and tossing it in the fridge and just reheating tomorrow?

Yep, take it out, shock it in icewater (or let it cool naturally if you have the time), toss it in the fridge, then puddle it up for an hour or so to your desired eating temperature.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

The Midniter posted:

Yep, take it out, shock it in icewater (or let it cool naturally if you have the time), toss it in the fridge, then puddle it up for an hour or so to your desired eating temperature.

Err no, you don't do icewater to shock, you do ice water to reduce the time bacteria get to do the auto-horizontal-mambo in the danger zone, you always want to icewater down to fridge-friendly temp then toss on the fridge.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

The Midniter posted:

deimos posted:

Err no, you don't do icewater to shock, you do ice water to reduce the time bacteria get to do the auto-horizontal-mambo in the danger zone, you always want to icewater down to fridge-friendly temp then toss on the fridge.

Excellent. Thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deimos posted:

Well by "shock" I just meant "reduce the temperature to a fridge-appropriate level in a short amount of time". Depending on the temperature at which the rump roast was puddled, I personally wouldn't have a problem leaving it out at room temp to cool down enough to not significantly impact the environmental temperature in the fridge. I'm sure SubG could jump in with some logarithmic pasteurization math bullshit about a 1.5 lb roast puddled at X temp for 24 hours to prove me right/wrong, but I've done similar things plenty of times and never suffered for it. Then again, I live on the edge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What you have to realize is, when you vizzle, you're not just sticking stuff in hot water until it's cooked. You're walking on the razor's edge between Flavortown and A Big Bowl Filled With Botulism. You're literally taunting death every second, because that is the price of good eats. You gotta just be skimming the treetops of the Danger Zone, and when you come in for a landing, you gotta land fast and hard or else Charlie is gonna plant a septic RPG so far up your rear end you'll taste the proximity fuse.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
^^ mods please rename thread to this, tia ^^

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
as much as i hate the term "vizzle" at least it doesn't make me want to punch someone in their dumb face the way any given instance of the word "puddling" or "puddled" does

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3-QYb189HM&t=25s

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

umm excuse me, my anger issues have nothing to do with the moral imperative to uppercut anyone who uses the term "puddling" unironically or in any context other than making fun of subg. rude

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wheez the roux posted:

as much as i hate the term "vizzle" at least it doesn't make me want to punch someone in their dumb face the way any given instance of the word "puddling" or "puddled" does

I don't know, they are both pretty loving dumb. I think only trumped by 'wifey' or 'hubby' on the goddamn loving internet god christ almighty why are people so loving =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-erga p;['; ugh I want to destroy my monitor

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I don't know, they are both pretty loving dumb. I think only trumped by 'wifey' or 'hubby' on the goddamn loving internet god christ almighty why are people so loving =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-erga p;['; ugh I want to destroy my monitor

i mean i agree but if i only had one bullet i'd take out the "puddler"s over the "vizzler"s

its like the infinitely more cringe-inducing verbal equivalent of himalayan pink salt

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

wheez the roux posted:

What term would you rather use? Sous vide is not a verb, so the common replacements for 'to cook using the sous vide method' are 'to puddle' or 'to vizzle'. Yes, both sound dumb, but they are better than saying 'how should I under vacuum my steak?'

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anything can be a verb if you believe hard enough that it is

That said, people should just relax and not get uptight about stupid things like what words people use to describe a method of cooking

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why it's so complicated. you cook something 'en sous vide' right?

the verb is 'to cook'

in common parlance you leave off the verb and just describe the more specific method in which you cooked something - ala "I sous vide'd some poo poo" in place of saying "I cooked something en sous vide"?

I'm probably missing something

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You're taking your knowledge of french grammar for granted

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

it's called sous vide in english too and you can verb anything you want in the past tense with -ed but sure if you want to sound like some overly precious weirdo go ahead and say puddled just don't be surprised when peoples eyes roll back into their skulls by reflex

even water bath sounds better

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

it's called sous vide in english too and you can verb anything you want in the past tense with -ed but sure if you want to sound like some overly precious weirdo go ahead and say puddled just don't be surprised when peoples eyes roll back into their skulls by reflex

even water bath sounds better

Even better, do it in the bath water!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If I recall it started getting called a puddler around here because that was the shortened verb form of "tepid puddle", which was a jokey way to say water bath.

The framing of the water bath as a tepid puddle is funny, and way back before the kickstarter explosion and before the SVS it was a way to be self-deprecating about using a technique that most people didn't have a simple way of accessing (the choices were the $600 Poly Pro and fiddling with PIDs and crock pots).

I don't think the intent was to be pretentious - I think it was to take an at the time fairly intimidating form of cooking down a notch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think puddle and vizzle are pretentious sounding but sous vide isn't

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i put my anova into a small insulated trash can, so whenever i tell my friends i cooked something sous vide, i just tell them i dumped it in the trash. gently caress puddling, vizzling

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I didn't think any of these other terms existed outside of this thread

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm all ears for an alternative because I am still looking for a non-douchey way to explain it to MY FRIENDS

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I've seen "precision cooking" used.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think I've seen "precision cooking" used.

I didn't know there could be a more pretentious word out there for sous vide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

"boil in bag"