Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Scotland lost to the West Indies... by three runs.

I know the West Indies are shite and all, but that is still pretty impressive. Its the closest we've come to actually beating a full member, and it wasn't like the West Indies had a second rate team that collapsed in a head: they scored 313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

newmalden posted:

Team by team guide from the London Grauniad, including fairly comprehensive takes on the minnows. Not as amusing as the OP.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/12/cricket-world-cup-team-guide
Manchester Grauniad, thank you very much :colbert:

(Granted it hasn't been called that for a long time and hasn't been edited in Manchester for a slightly less long time, but still, if you're going to append a city on the front...).

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just not cricket – how Channel Nine is destroying a legacy (Geoff Lemon)
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Have there been any articles from people actually sticking up for the channel nine approach?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The best part of that article is

quote:

On both occasions McNamara cheerfully volunteered the information that he has a Google Alert set to email him any time the internet mentions his name.

Could probably have some fun with that

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Brad McNamara is a cock that knows as much about cricket as my gran does

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

gabensraum posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Have there been any articles from people actually sticking up for the channel nine approach?

Great article.

Chris Kenny learned all he knows about dogfucking from Brad McNamara.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
My in laws are from Guyana and so we'll be watching the Windies. I'm far more of a T20 watcher, but it seems like the Windies are little improved from the 2011 CWC - middling team with some strong bats and lacking in overall depth on offense and everywhere on defense.

Typically I consider it a success if WI can beat out the likes of NZ or SL. However in Pool B who should I be watching as a stalking horse given that South Africa seems to be out of reach?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Nystral posted:

My in laws are from Guyana and so we'll be watching the Windies. I'm far more of a T20 watcher, but it seems like the Windies are little improved from the 2011 CWC - middling team with some strong bats and lacking in overall depth on offense and everywhere on defense.

Typically I consider it a success if WI can beat out the likes of NZ or SL. However in Pool B who should I be watching as a stalking horse given that South Africa seems to be out of reach?

they almost lost to scotland

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Depends which Pakistan turns up when you play them. Pakistan could win the whole shebang or limp out after being beaten by everyone except the UAE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nystral posted:

Lmfao.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Would not be surprised if the windies didn't make it out of their pool. They seem the most likely to not give a gently caress.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

gabensraum posted:

I came to see if this was posted.

I went through the comments and there are none trying to defend channel 9.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The Windies and Pakistan are great because they're capable of beating or being beat by anyone on their day. If Gayle or even Afridi manage to take off they can almost single handedly beat teams.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

-Spiffy- posted:

I came to see if this was posted.

I went through the comments and there are none trying to defend channel 9.

I was coming here to post it too :laugh:

Funny that nobody has tried to defend Nine's coverage, so I guess McNamara's in a meeting or something. Good to see that their woeful coverage is actually drawing a reaction from other media, but I'm not particularly hopeful that anything will change any time soon.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gabensraum posted:

This article is spot on.. Geoff Lemon is a great writer (and a product of my high school actually). The McNamara stuff is particularly unhinged, I'd read the Gideon Haigh comments, but the Roar article that he references is a level above. It's literally one throwaway line and McNamara comes in to mercilessly slate the guy:

quote:

Daniel Who? And described as a Pro! But for Google Alert I wouldn’t even know you existed, just like 99.9% of the rest of the population. Good mate of mine Hadds, I’m sure he won’t mind being ‘consigned’ to life in the commentary box with us. Let’s hope he’s at least a year away from that. We could always provide him with the option of being a whining, faceless and totally irrelevant blogger ‘consigned’ to a life of obscurity operating on the outskirts of mainstream media just wishing and hoping one day to be noticed and made relevant. Bottom line, we all have a right to an opinion, just that no one important gives a rats about yours!

Keep in mind that most of the articles at The Roar - including this guy's - are sourced from readers and very few columnists are professional or paid. Classy stuff from the head of cricket at Channel 9.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shmoses posted:

This article is spot on.. Geoff Lemon is a great writer (and a product of my high school actually). The McNamara stuff is particularly unhinged, I'd read the Gideon Haigh comments, but the Roar article that he references is a level above. It's literally one throwaway line and McNamara comes in to mercilessly slate the guy:

Keep in mind that most of the articles at The Roar - including this guy's - are sourced from readers and very few columnists are professional or paid. Classy stuff from the head of cricket at Channel 9.

Lol that's insane.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That article is amazing, articulates exactly how nauseating the Channel 9 team has become.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

he's the sort of guy who buys an sa account to shout at people laughing at him, isn't he?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Really looking forward to playing club cricket tomorrow in a match that perfectly overlaps NZ Sri Lanka. Should be good.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shmoses posted:

That's just absolutely bizarre :psyduck:

"Yeah Brad Haddin's a good mate of mine" - who loving cares? You're an executive director at Channel Nine, do you really need to resort to name-dropping cricketers?

IceAgeComing posted:

he's the sort of guy who buys an sa account to shout at people laughing at him, isn't he?

Oh god I hope so

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

I reposted that article on Facebook so I hope he comes along and lambasts me about being a nothing piece of turd who's just trying to get on the anti-nine bandwagon

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Really looking forward to playing club cricket tomorrow in a match that perfectly overlaps NZ Sri Lanka. Should be good.

Me too, and we're short too, hard to find a ring in on valentine's day as it is!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

This giant puppet thing is walking about as fast as Inzamam did between wickets
I was introduced to cricket during the 2003 World Cup. Inzamam and Shoaib Akhtar were so baller. :allears:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Put that article in the OP.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

gabensraum posted:

Even just getting rid of Brayshaw would be a massive improvement. Slater and Taylor etc can all be good commentators if the culture was different, but Brayshaw needs to gently caress off forever.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Brad McNamara's facebook fan page has 6 likes :laffo:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brad-McNamara/112697678743528

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Reminder to check/update your fantasy team if you're playing. If you missed signing-up it's not too late, info in the op.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

This is amazing. I also suspects he edits his own wikipedia entry:

or maybe Brad Haddin does - I hear they're great mates

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Shmoses posted:

I'm confused. This wikipedia article doesn't mention how he was seeing them in the nets. I assume he was smashing 'em.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Shmoses posted:

Jesus what a piece of poo poo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

IceAgeComing posted:

Brad McNamara is a cock that knows as much about cricket as my gran does

I didn't think Google picked up stuff mentioned on the forums?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shmoses posted:

Someone should go and stick a bunch of 'citation neededs' through that.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

"According to whom?"

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

Think of every poo poo cricketer that has played for Australia over the years. Every one of them has had a more successful career than Brad McNamara.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Has anyone subscribed to ESPN's crazy expensive CWC streaming package? Even though it's close to the same price for 49 ODIs as it is for 2400+ MLB games I'm probably going to sign up anyway.

Does anyone happen to know if I could share the login credentials with my brother and both watch at the same time? I know the coupons thread sets up MLB.tv sharing groups every season and each account likely has 3-5 people streaming from it at any given time. It would certainly push me over the fence about buying it, but I'm guessing I won't find out if sharing like that works until I've already bought the drat thing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Oh poo poo, it's a separate thing from the WatchESPN / ESPN3 stuff in the States? That sucks, I was looking forward to some late-night cricket.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

There's a heap of rain forecast for Melbourne tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't screw up the opening.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Doctor Cave posted:

There's a heap of rain forecast for Melbourne tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't screw up the opening.

In Christchurch?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

The Nards Pan posted:

Has anyone subscribed to ESPN's crazy expensive CWC streaming package? Even though it's close to the same price for 49 ODIs as it is for 2400+ MLB games I'm probably going to sign up anyway.

Does anyone happen to know if I could share the login credentials with my brother and both watch at the same time? I know the coupons thread sets up MLB.tv sharing groups every season and each account likely has 3-5 people streaming from it at any given time. It would certainly push me over the fence about buying it, but I'm guessing I won't find out if sharing like that works until I've already bought the drat thing.

According to their FAQ you cannot. Only one device at a time can be used for viewing. For $99. Ninety nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Is Brad McNamara the one that commentated in the Matador BBQs One Day Cup and spent the whole time telling poo poo anecdotes about his mediocre cricketing career instead of talking about what was happening in the game?