Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

what was njpw doing in 04 and 05 to win worst promotion?

I assume Inoki being Inoki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Inoki went insane and wanted to do a mix of pro wrestling and shoot fighting.

As an example, Bob Sapp was forced to vacate the IWGP Heavyweight Title due to losing a fight in K-1.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

What's up with the prominence of Big Show and Kane these days? Wrestlers in their 40's typically begin winding down their careers but these two are lately working every Raw, Smackdown and PPV.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Contingency Plan posted:

What's up with the prominence of Big Show and Kane these days? Wrestlers in their 40's typically begin winding down their careers but these two are lately working every Raw, Smackdown and PPV.

WWE is low on hosses right now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Contingency Plan posted:

Kane is a safe worker, so he got paired with Reigns and Bryan after they came back from injury.

Big Show is doing what's beat for his family.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Burying considerable talent to make room for shoot fighters that had no idea how to work, for one

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Skeezy posted:

So here's a question. Is the new Shawn Michaels book any good.

It depends on what your looking for in a book. I haven't read it, but most of the press I've seen on it, including interviews with HBK, say this is a book about his faith, not a wrestling book.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Red posted:

WWE is low on hosses right now.

The Rumble had like 10 hosses in the ring at the same time this year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Big Guys can also work basically forever since their style doesn't require bumping all over the place. I mean, Show's finishers these days are "punch man" and "pick up and throw man". Having a back that's the size of a refrigerator means the force of a back bump is spread out more, too. How Kane still has knees though I have no idea.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Big Guys can also work basically forever since their style doesn't require bumping all over the place. I mean, Show's finishers these days are "punch man" and "pick up and throw man". Having a back that's the size of a refrigerator means the force of a back bump is spread out more, too. How Kane still has knees though I have no idea.

He stopped doing the Tombstone most of the time and none of the rest of his moveset are really hard on the knees, I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He kinda takes that diving punch as a shoulder roll; that's got to help.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Show and Kane are prominent right now because Vince loving hates us.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Monkeycheese posted:

Show and Kane are prominent right now because Vince loving hates us.

That's certainly what the end of the Rumble looked like. Big Show and Kane unceremoniously dumping out every guy left that people wanted to see win while not even putting up a fight.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

99% sure Kane and Show shot on the roster and the ending was supposed to be totally different.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm sure the idea was "Well you sure hate these two now, so you'll really be cheering when Reigns kills them both." That didn't work out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oldpainless posted:

99% sure Kane and Show shot on the roster and the ending was supposed to be totally different.

They're so strong that they could totally do that. Look at them!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I'm sure the idea was "Well you sure hate these two now, so you'll really be cheering when Reigns kills them both." That didn't work out.

This is transparently what the idea was.

I also laughed at the last Botchamania, where they showed that Hunter did the exact same spot like 10 years ago.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

saltylopez posted:

The Rumble had like 10 hosses in the ring at the same time this year.

Vince McMahon would tell you he needs more huge "larger than life" guys as special attractions for his sports entertainment company.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

How Kane still has knees though I have no idea.

I've read that his knees are pretty bad, actually.

fatherdog posted:

He stopped doing the Tombstone most of the time and none of the rest of his moveset are really hard on the knees, I think.

This.

I can't remember the last time I saw Kane go up the turnbuckles, either. Maybe before his unmasking by HHH?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's the most dangerous spot/botch that could have resulted in serious injury/death but was barely avoided? Theres a couple of times people have fallen a huge height onto the announce tables without the monitors taken out that could have destroyed their back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Red posted:

I've read that his knees are pretty bad, actually.

This.

I can't remember the last time I saw Kane go up the turnbuckles, either. Maybe before his unmasking by HHH?

He occasionally did it when teaming with Bryan, if I'm remembering right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the most dangerous spot/botch that could have resulted in serious injury/death but was barely avoided? Theres a couple of times people have fallen a huge height onto the announce tables without the monitors taken out that could have destroyed their back.

The first one that comes to mind is Cena/Bryan Summerslam when they drop down off the top turnbuckle and it looks like Bryan comes really close to injuring or breaking his neck/back.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Brock's missed Shooting Star Press comes to mind.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

There's the gif of Mr. Perfect possibly saving Chris Jericho's neck from a botched Lionsault by blocking him with his knees at literally the last second possible. Someone posted it within the last week somewhere in PSP.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Wade Barrett get a nasty shoulder or tricep injury while saving somebody from eating the announce table?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Great White Hope posted:

Brock's missed Shooting Star Press comes to mind.

This is probably it. Brock's huge traps are probably the only reason his head didn't pop off.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OldTennisCourt posted:

Randy Orton at the last Mania, when he did the RKO on the table and his back slammed directly onto the monitor. He probably needed the stretcher job more than Bryan did.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Rollins almost being impaled by the cage

Benne posted:

Randy Orton at the last Mania, when he did the RKO on the table and his back slammed directly onto the monitor. He probably needed the stretcher job more than Bryan did.
Orton / tables is cheating when it comes to this question

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Someone probably can remember better, but last year I recall Rollins or Ambrose trying to get into the ring as a cage was coming down, and the cage had these spikes that were going into holes to secure it I guess. He tried to slide in, got caught somehow and just barely made it in as one of those spikes was like an inch above his back.

That scared the poo poo out of me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The dive one of the Usos did fairly recently where he was coming down straight on his head before Cesaro caught him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

OldTennisCourt posted:

Undertaker was literally buried alive by Steve Austin, thankfully he's immortal and wasn't hurt.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i've heard references to nakamura having health problems over and over again but i cant find any details online, whats the story there?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Wade Barrett get a nasty shoulder or tricep injury while saving somebody from eating the announce table?

Yep. Post-Elimination Chamber battle royale a couple of years ago. Show tossed Dolph like a lawn dart and Wade caught him, at great expense to himself.

No idea who was at fault, but Wade is the anti-Miz.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Yep. Post-Elimination Chamber battle royale a couple of years ago. Show tossed Dolph like a lawn dart and Wade caught him, at great expense to himself.

I should go back and rewatch that. Didn't someone land on Wade after this, while he was in pain?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Didn't two or three other guys get injured in that too?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
^ :argh:

Perry Normal posted:

Didn't a whole bunch of people get hurt in that battle royale? I remember it being really sloppy and dangerous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In other news Wikipedia's list of film-related accidents keeps track of WWE injuries now, and it's pretty gruesome.

quote:

WrestleMania XXVII (2011). Triple H's original entrance involved riding a Clydesdale horse from the stage toward the ring. However, during the rehearsal, the horse fell through a trap door that contained The Undertaker's casket. The horse was stuck for hours and was almost euthanized due to the stress it had suffered. As a result of this accident, this ring entrance was scrapped.
I had forgotten about that time a horse accidentally fell into the Undertaker's lair and he drank its blood.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

One time Orton was going to attempt an rko through the announce table and accidentally stepped on the hole where the monitors go. It looked disgusting but then he pops right up smiling

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Monkeycheese posted:

Show and Kane are prominent right now because Vince loving loves us and wants us to be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

dromal phrenia posted:

i've heard references to nakamura having health problems over and over again but i cant find any details online, whats the story there?

both Nakamura and Tanahashi seemingly walk around like old men due to back issues from a very demanding and bump-filled schedule