Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fangs404 posted:

Does anyone know what uBlock does differently than ABP? I can't find any details on how uBlock actually works.

I know you're not asking this, but it's been miles better than Adblock Plus for me, and I've been using ABP for as long as I remember. I used to top 1200MB of RAM when using Facebook for a while when ABP was installed. I've got about 20 tabs + Facebook open and the browser is snappy and responsive. With ABP, the whole thing would have slowed to a crawl by this stage.

Does the uBlock developer page have any info you might want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fangs404 posted:

Does anyone know what uBlock does differently than ABP? I can't find any details on how uBlock actually works.

uBlock is based on (was split from) HTTP Switchboard:
https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Adblock-Plus-memory-consumption

quote:

Summary: Where Adblock Plus ("ABP") indiscriminately injects over 13,000 generic CSS rules into every page and frames, HTTP Switchboard ("HTTPSB") injects only a handful generic CSS rules at most. HTTPSB's approach is to perform a quick web page survey in order to dramatically narrow down the generic CSS selectors which need to be injected in web pages and frames. Examples: on wired.com ABP injects over 13,000 generic CSS selectors while HTTPSB injects only 8 generic CSS selectors; and on a page with no ads, ABP still injects over 13,000 generic CSS selectors while HTTPSB injects none.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The Milkman posted:

If in not mistaken it's just built in now, you don't need the addon

This seems to be the case. Add-on manager has pdf.js disabled, but apparently still works.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone know how to change the address bar's default search engine to Google Australia? I tried changing keyword.URL in about:config but it just keeps going to the US site, and I looked for an add-on with no luck from the "more search options" link in search settings

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

strap on revenge posted:

Does anyone know how to change the address bar's default search engine to Google Australia? I tried changing keyword.URL in about :config but it just keeps going to the US site, and I looked for an add-on with no luck from the "more search options" link in search settings

Get the Google Australia one from Mycroft

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

lightinwater posted:

Get the Google Australia one from Mycroft

cool, thank you!

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I know you're not asking this, but it's been miles better than Adblock Plus for me, and I've been using ABP for as long as I remember. I used to top 1200MB of RAM when using Facebook for a while when ABP was installed. I've got about 20 tabs + Facebook open and the browser is snappy and responsive. With ABP, the whole thing would have slowed to a crawl by this stage.

Does the uBlock developer page have any info you might want?

I really like the idea of a lighter-weight ABP. I tried Bluhell because it more or less promised that, but it missed a lot of ads. The uBlock GitHub project doesn't have any implementation details that I could find. They say they're better than ABP, but they don't say why or how.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

Also, I remember reading something a while back about how one of the main reasons ABP appears so slow is that it blocks the main FF thread when pages load. FF is built to actually use lots of threads for parallelism when possible, but ABP prevents a lot of those optimizations from occurring. Does uBlock do the same?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is uBlock available for Firefox Android?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

xamphear posted:

The problem might be with Google, or it might be with Mozilla, or maybe it's with Microsoft, or maybe it's with AMD, or it could be with Nvidia, or my settings or extensions or codecs, but I just don't care anymore.

The problem with Firefox is incomplete MSE support:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778617

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Geemer posted:

Is uBlock available for Firefox Android?

Won't install for me. Honestly, I think on a phone CPU you're better off just using a hosts based as blocker like AdAway, which works system wide.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
HTML5 Youtube has generally been working fine for me recently on both Firefox and Aurora release channels on machines with Flash uninstalled entirely (aside from the one bundled into Chrome, and sites that still require Flash are the main reason I keep Chrome around) on both Windows and Linux, except for live streams. There are occasionally weird memory/CPU leaks, but playback works fine--better than a lot of Flash sites, even.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My Firefox will play some Youtube videos fine and freeze part-way on others with no amount of time-skipping or reloading able to fix it. Haven't observed a pattern beyond maybe the longer videos being more susceptible to freezing. The last video that exhibited this issue even went straight back to the stuck time spot after restarting Firefox, so I'm assuming cookies are involved in the problem.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've noticed that the more videos I play and the longer they are results in Firefox's HTML5 video performance degrading further and further. It is only fixed by a browser restart for me. I've actually set YouTube Center to force Flash videos because of the issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Reminder: Youtube (and other video sites) use your GPU for video decoding, so make sure you update your video drivers to the latest if you're having issues. For AMD cards that means the Catalyst Omega drivers. Also try using "Refresh Firefox" to reset your media-related settings to default, as there have been a large number of recent changes. Youtube's HTML5 support is a moving target because Google is adding new features more quickly than other browsers can implement them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Update your video drivers if youtube is a steaming pile of poo poo for you. Hahhaha, 2015, you are amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Update your video drivers if youtube is a steaming pile of poo poo for you. Hahhaha, 2015, you are amazing.

What, you expected needing proper drivers to play intense video codecs to go away or something?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The dorms wi-fi is kinda poo poo and stops working at random intervals. Is there a plugin that automatically pauses all your downloads if the wi-fi goes down? My google detective skills kinda failed me (as they generally do).

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed
Have you looked into download managers? I use uGet which is free & lightweight (and does pause/resume). Using an external program isn't as convenient as using an addon I know but it's also pretty much guaranteed to work every time. Also, I haven't tried it myself but FlashGot is supposed to make Firefox work more smoothly with external download managers.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's going on with YouTube? I thought they'd switched to HTML5 for everyone, but I'm seeing the message about out-of-date Flash player (which as before is the most up-to-date stable version available). poo poo's loving annoying.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
HTML5 isn't until FireFox 37, and what Flash version do you have?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

What's going on with YouTube? I thought they'd switched to HTML5 for everyone, but I'm seeing the message about out-of-date Flash player (which as before is the most up-to-date stable version available). poo poo's loving annoying.

If you haven't already and if you don't mind the lack of a couple quality options (480p/1080p) until the next Firefox version, you can opt into (or back out of ) the html5 player at: http://youtube.com/html5

I'm not entirely sure from your post if it's Firefox or YouTube telling you that your flash player is out of date. Which is it? And what version (numbers) of Flash do you have?

astral fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 13, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Trying to make the switch from Chrome and have two hang-ups and a bonus question:

1) How do I fix the jagged scrolling to be smooth like on Chrome and Opera (and Safari)?
2) Is there any way to get the compressed tabs instead of the pagination after a certain amount of open tabs? Like in Opera and Chrome, say.

Bonus: Any good extensions for suspending idle tabs, especially idle tab groups? Not that it's a major problem, given that my bajillion tabs already perform better than a small Chrome instance.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

If you haven't already and if you don't mind the lack of a couple quality options (480p/1080p) until the next Firefox version, you can opt into (or back out of ) the html5 player at: http://youtube.com/html5

I'm not entirely sure from your post if it's Firefox or YouTube telling you that your flash player is out of date. Which is it? And what version (numbers) of Flash do you have?

Firefox is blocking it; I get the banner if I go to the YouTube site, and if I click on an embedded link in the forums, the rectangle is replaced by the larger version of the warning. My Flash version is 16.0.0.296.

I had been opted-in to the HTML5 version, and now things seem to be working fine after toggling that twice (to default and back).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

hooah posted:

Firefox is blocking it; I get the banner if I go to the YouTube site, and if I click on an embedded link in the forums, the rectangle is replaced by the larger version of the warning. My Flash version is 16.0.0.296.

I had been opted-in to the HTML5 version, and now things seem to be working fine after toggling that twice (to default and back).

Glad to hear you were able to get the HTML5 youtube working! For Flash, I'm running 16.0.0.305 - if the normal updater isn't working for you, try here.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

That's outdated. The latest version for Windows Firefox is 16.0.0.305.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

astral posted:

Glad to hear you were able to get the HTML5 youtube working! For Flash, I'm running 16.0.0.305 - if the normal updater isn't working for you, try here.

Thanks. Why the gently caress isn't that the version that you get from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/???

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

hooah posted:

FF 36 beta did have MSE and defaulted to HMTL5 on Youtube until recently, since it's not ready for release yet. Made me sad since I had zero issues with HTML5 video before, but after they removed MSE, YT videos go out of sync for me.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Im_Special posted:

HTML5 isn't until FireFox 37, and what Flash version do you have?

What.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Purple D. Link posted:

FF 36 beta did have MSE and defaulted to HMTL5 on Youtube until recently, since it's not ready for release yet. Made me sad since I had zero issues with HTML5 video before, but after they removed MSE, YT videos go out of sync for me.

What's MSE in this context?

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Media Source Extensions. I'm now using Chrome when I want to watch YT videos, since I want 1080p/60fps without the video going out of sync.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I have no idea what this question is, if it even is a question, but I'll take a shot here. HTML5 was planned for Firefox 36 but was disabled intentionally in this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1129039.

It's not stable enough for release yet, so it's been pushed back a version.

In other news uBlock is on AMO, so if you were waiting for that, go make the switch, there is no reason not to. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Should note that the one on AMO is one version behind right now though (v0.8.7.0 is latest), probably because that was the submitted one sent in for review and AMO finally got around to just now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 14, 2015

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Im_Special posted:

In other news uBlock is on AMO, so if you were waiting for that, go make the switch, there is no reason not to. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock/

Should note that the one on AMO is one version behind right now though (v0.8.7.0 is latest), probably because that was the submitted one sent in for review and AMO finally got around to just now.

gently caress yeah! This is what I've been waiting for. Jumping on the uBlock hypetrain now. Heavy page loads (e.g., Facebook) definitely feel quite a bit quicker.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Baram posted:

is there a way to get rid of ugly firefox button/header there and scale down all that dead space?

I'm not sure what you did. What OS are you using? This is what mine looks like in Windows 8.1

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

ufarn posted:

Trying to make the switch from Chrome and have two hang-ups and a bonus question:

1) How do I fix the jagged scrolling to be smooth like on Chrome and Opera (and Safari)?
2) Is there any way to get the compressed tabs instead of the pagination after a certain amount of open tabs? Like in Opera and Chrome, say.

Bonus: Any good extensions for suspending idle tabs, especially idle tab groups? Not that it's a major problem, given that my bajillion tabs already perform better than a small Chrome instance.

1) Options -> Advanced tab -> General tab -> smooth scrolling
2) I would look for addons to fill this role: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noverflow/?src=search

Bonus: probably also addons

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Im_Special posted:

I have no idea what this question is, if it even is a question, but I'll take a shot here. HTML5 was planned for Firefox 36 but was disabled intentionally in this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1129039.

It's not stable enough for release yet, so it's been pushed back a version.
You're talking about MSE, not "HTML5". HTML5 has been a thing for a long time, MSE is a new extension implemented by Google that is only fully supported in Chrome.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Baram posted:

I'm guessing that you have Classic Theme Restorer installed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baram posted:

Look under View > Toolbars > Additional Toolbar and try unchecking it.

This is what my Firefox does when I play with the Addititional Toolbar option:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Baram posted:

Firefox 35/doesn't look like that, what extensions / theme are you running?

Just remove them, then see if you still have a problem.

I recommend the "square tabs for Australis extension", to unChrome things a biy without breaking layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I finally jumped onto this bandwagon and now sites where Firefox would crash from running out of memory if I'd open too many tabs on it see an incredible 50% decline in total RAM usage. And other niggling things where the browser slowly starts getting less responsive if it's been open for a few hours are fixed as well. It's pretty awesome!