Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

MrJacobs posted:

The cape makes it so the guards basically ignore you doing anything short of killing people or punching other guards in the face.

Your mom also speaks to you for the first time in 20 years. Those magic feathers can cure PTSD!

One of us has our capes mixed up.

MASSIVE CAPE RELATED SPOILERS!!

I thought Lorenzo gives you the Medici Cape - which does make you incognito.

Auditore made them always pissed at you - and that's the feather one.

Edit: Yeah, see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Its writing tries desperately to be vague and insinuating but there's no heft or substance behind the little that is said or revealed.

BING BING BING We've got a winner

You pretty much figure out the plot within 10 minutes if you're paying attention at all (the guys who hosed you up are the bad guys and they're destroying the city and the rest of the game is just confirming that that is, in fact, the entirety of the plot.

Transistor seems to really think it has something to say, but all the philosophy behind why the villains do what they do is so intrinsic to the weird-rear end setting that it has 0 real world applicability.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Oldstench posted:

The narrator in Transistor annoys the poo poo out of me. Actually, just about everything in that game annoys me. I really don't like Transistor.

have you considered committing suicide

Oxxidation posted:

Transistor was one of the greatest games of last year and you are all going to Philistine Hell where the only movies are the Transformers trilogy and there's nothing to read but self-help books.

:agreed:

BBJoey has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Feb 13, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

I knew that a developer of Fallout New Vegas posts here sometimes, but I had no clue there was an elaborate Something Awful reference in the game. :psyduck:

There is at least two. Johnny and a Gauss rifle named after Your Console Sucks.

edit: it is okay to not like things but can we please not fight about not liking things

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

BBJoey posted:

have you considered committing suicide

Yes, this is an appropriate response for a differing opinion over a lovely video game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Transistor was one of the greatest games of last year and you are all going to Philistine Hell where the only movies are the Transformers trilogy and there's nothing to read but self-help books.

The thing dragging games down is that people don't agree with this post

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DStecks posted:

BING BING BING We've got a winner

You pretty much figure out the plot within 10 minutes if you're paying attention at all (the guys who hosed you up are the bad guys and they're destroying the city and the rest of the game is just confirming that that is, in fact, the entirety of the plot.

Transistor seems to really think it has something to say, but all the philosophy behind why the villains do what they do is so intrinsic to the weird-rear end setting that it has 0 real world applicability.

No, that's not the plot at all. The Camerata aren't actively destroying the city, they accidentally push the reset switch on the fabric of reality, and several of the Camerata commit suicide as penance for what has happened. The Camerata had much better characterisation than Red and Blue. They were the art critics from hell, and wanted to control information and society. That's pretty relevant post-NSA. And like in all fits of hubris, they end up blowing themselves up.

The problem with Red and Blue's characterisation was that it was done poorly. Red had a pre-defined character: female, artist, singer, and their decision to make her a silent protagonist badly hurt her characterisation. Their attempt to make Logan Cunningham the sold narrator was a mistake, because he didn't have a real character besides being Red's boyfriend. Neither character could bounce off one another. They could get away with making Bastion's Kid a blank slate, because Rucks did have a strong personality.

More mistakes: too much tell, not enough show. Cloudbank was basically lifeless, it needed massive crowds in the city slowly disappear as they were borgified by the process. As is, they only tell you about the people who lived in the city.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lord Lambeth posted:

There is at least two. Johnny and a Gauss rifle named after Your Console Sucks.

edit: it is okay to not like things but can we please not fight about not liking things

I find it hilarious that people can be so thin skinned about people making mean comments about video games in a thread like this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Don't create a whole character whose skills are based around hitting enemy crit spots quickly and consistently if you're gonna put in an entire level's worth of enemies that have no crit spot twice in one game. The torks I can maybe forgive, because their most numerous ranks are very small and weak and giving them a crit spot would be sort of pointless. But on the space station, the infected Hyperion workers are just normal humans whose helmets you can even knock off, but then their heads aren't crit spots for literally no reason. It makes no sense.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

mycot posted:

I find it hilarious that people can be so thin skinned about people making mean comments about video games in a thread like this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Left 4 Dead 2: Jockeys would annoy the hell out of me regardless for other reasons, but their hitbox for catching you seems super vague, which makes it harder to kick them away or dodge their leap like Hunters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The start of Chapter 10 in the new Shadow Warrior game is pretty terrible. Things you can interact with glow yellow and for some reason they decided to put the item you needed to continue the stage on the ground in a pool of yellow light so it is easy to overlook. Part of the reason its annoying is because you can keep going into the stage for a little bit more until you get stuck in front of a spinning blade, which almost looks like you can get through because there's a chunk missing from the blade.

Although the stupidest part is that you don't even use the item you pick up (C4) to get past the blade. Instead when you go down there after picking up the C4 all of a sudden you can use a console to turn the blade off.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

No, that's not the plot at all. The Camerata aren't actively destroying the city, they accidentally push the reset switch on the fabric of reality, and several of the Camerata commit suicide as penance for what has happened. The Camerata had much better characterisation than Red and Blue. They were the art critics from hell, and wanted to control information and society. That's pretty relevant post-NSA. And like in all fits of hubris, they end up blowing themselves up.

My summary was a simplification of that- they didn't mean to destroy the city, but that's not an impossible-to-foresee outcome of what they were doing with the Transistor. And no, the Camerata aren't an NSA analogue at all, because they don't represent Cloudbank's government, if Cloudbank even has one. If anything, they're the Charlie Hebdo shooters.

And besides, "we're accidentally destroying the world ~for noble reasons~" is like the most cliche video game villain plot in history, up there with "I just wanna conquer the world" and "we're an evil PMC, go gently caress yourself", so my point still stands about how you guess Transistor's plot long before it deigns to let you know you're right.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hey Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Don't create a whole character whose skills are based around hitting enemy crit spots quickly and consistently if you're gonna put in an entire level's worth of enemies that have no crit spot twice in one game. The torks I can maybe forgive, because their most numerous ranks are very small and weak and giving them a crit spot would be sort of pointless. But on the space station, the infected Hyperion workers are just normal humans whose helmets you can even knock off, but then their heads aren't crit spots for literally no reason. It makes no sense.

Things like this are why I ditched Zer0 for characters like Krieg and Gaige in Borderlands 2. Crits? Why the gently caress should I bother with goddamn crits when I can just do massive loving damage without even really aiming at all?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slime posted:

Things like this are why I ditched Zer0 for characters like Krieg and Gaige in Borderlands 2. Crits? Why the gently caress should I bother with goddamn crits when I can just do massive loving damage without even really aiming at all?

Gaige is my favorite. Give her a gun with one ammo, rebind the reload key so I can't accidentally reload, and just watch things melt due to anarchy.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So I'm playing World of Warcraft (because my boyfriend is away at work for a month) and I have a pretty dumb complaint. Leveling/questing is way, way too easy now. Like, I can run around the zones aggroing as many mobs as I feel like and not even be remotely close to dying. At least in the previous expansions of this I remember pulling multiple mobs was kinda risky. Now it's totally effortless.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Thoughtless posted:

So I'm playing World of Warcraft (because my boyfriend is away at work for a month) and I have a pretty dumb complaint. Leveling/questing is way, way too easy now. Like, I can run around the zones aggroing as many mobs as I feel like and not even be remotely close to dying. At least in the previous expansions of this I remember pulling multiple mobs was kinda risky. Now it's totally effortless.

I resubbed for the new expansion after a few years off and agree completely. You just wander through zones, demolishing everything in sight. I even tried to go to a higher level zone, and the game straight up wouldn't give me any quests to do. The enemies were literally one level above me. Whatever happened to quests above your level just showing up yellow or red in your quest log? I realize WoW has always been terrible, but holy poo poo.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Professor Wayne posted:

I resubbed for the new expansion after a few years off and agree completely. You just wander through zones, demolishing everything in sight. I even tried to go to a higher level zone, and the game straight up wouldn't give me any quests to do. The enemies were literally one level above me. Whatever happened to quests above your level just showing up yellow or red in your quest log? I realize WoW has always been terrible, but holy poo poo.

I resubbed a month ago and was bored after a week. I didn't even get to the new content. I just ended up subbing FFXIV and am having much more fun.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
I loving hate the sword's voice

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Thoughtless posted:

I pretty much skipped the second expansion, so I had the same reaction with instances. I knew the Burning Crusade instances by heart, so it was somewhat shocking to be able to pull a quarter of the instance and wait while people AoEd them down. By the time I got to the Northrend instances it had gotten pretty old.

Content:
The Talos Principle is a pretty interesting puzzle game, but it also has multiple endings and achievements and you can almost do all of them in a single playthrough; The game only autosaves when you get a puzzle piece, so at the end you can revisit any area and choose any of the three main endings. But there's also an optional AI that you can talk to, and the progress in those discussions is tracked separately. And in my last autosave, I can't talk to him anymore. So now I have to replay almost all puzzles and then talk to the AI to get the remaining achievements.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Phobophilia posted:

The problem with Red and Blue's characterisation was that it was done poorly. Red had a pre-defined character: female, artist, singer, and their decision to make her a silent protagonist badly hurt her characterisation. Their attempt to make Logan Cunningham the sold narrator was a mistake, because he didn't have a real character besides being Red's boyfriend. Neither character could bounce off one another. They could get away with making Bastion's Kid a blank slate, because Rucks did have a strong personality.

More mistakes: too much tell, not enough show. Cloudbank was basically lifeless, it needed massive crowds in the city slowly disappear as they were borgified by the process. As is, they only tell you about the people who lived in the city.

I have similar feelings about Bastion and it's setting. An apocalypse is only an apocalypse if there was something to destroy. It's not enough to say something was destroyed, we have to have a frame of reference. And as Bastion starts, all we have is a promise that 'something happened' and that 'it wasn't anything like this'. We have no idea what was lost and what it means to lose everything, as far as the player is aware 'before' is just a black, empty slate. Especially when the farther you go along, the more apparent that the world is drastically different from ours. So as far as the player is aware, nothing was lost, the world is just a bunch of floating islands, and everyone is sad about it. The same effect would be made if in LotR we were told Middle Earth just went through cataclysmic changes due to end times. As far as we know, we missed one fantastical world just to see another, and we can't relate because everything is so alien to us, and yet is so familiar to them. The only glimpse of the world that was is in one of the endings, showing a world surprisingly similar to ours, where the kid works as manual labor even. To me, it was actually downright shocking when the entire time I was expecting a high fantasy world. Meanwhile, the other path just leads to the characters accepting the world as is, much like how the player has from moment one.

Like how someone said the writer cares for the characters a lot more than the player, the same goes for Bastion's and the setting.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

dataisplural posted:

I loving hate the sword's voice

Was just about to post this, the fact that he makes some inane comment after every little thing you do is bad enough but that irritating whispery voice makes it 10x worse.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DStecks posted:

My summary was a simplification of that- they didn't mean to destroy the city, but that's not an impossible-to-foresee outcome of what they were doing with the Transistor. And no, the Camerata aren't an NSA analogue at all, because they don't represent Cloudbank's government, if Cloudbank even has one. If anything, they're the Charlie Hebdo shooters.

And besides, "we're accidentally destroying the world ~for noble reasons~" is like the most cliche video game villain plot in history, up there with "I just wanna conquer the world" and "we're an evil PMC, go gently caress yourself", so my point still stands about how you guess Transistor's plot long before it deigns to let you know you're right.

Actually the destruction of the city was almost entirely unforeseen. The only reason it occurred was because when they absorbed Blue into the Transistor, the lack of any of his census (or whatever it's called) data in the system caused a reset of the Process, which caused everything to be hosed. Their plan would've been fine, and probably very beneficial for the people in the long run, had Blue's sacrifice not hosed everything else. You can't tell me you guess that, unless you guessed "Oh these clearly labelled bad guys are bad guys, which isn't actually even true, technically - they can't control the Process now. In which case, sure, good vs bad is a cliche in story telling I suppose.

I have a lot of problems with Transistor's story, but only in how it's presented. All that poo poo I mentioned I only learned in reading summaries online, it's almost impossible to divine that from the scarce plot the game actually shows you.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
All this talk about Transistor vs Bastion is interesting because I tried the Bastion demo and thoroughly hated it. The mechanics, the style and the narrator most of all. Then I saw the trailer for Transistor, bought it and loved it. I could see their close similarities, but in the sense that everything I disliked about one felt like almost a polar opposite reflection in the other.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

All this talk about Transistor vs Bastion is interesting because I tried the Bastion demo and thoroughly hated it. The mechanics, the style and the narrator most of all. Then I saw the trailer for Transistor, bought it and loved it. I could see their close similarities, but in the sense that everything I disliked about one felt like almost a polar opposite reflection in the other.

If nothing else it demonstrates that Supergiant's got plenty of flexibility within their niche (isometric action games with crazy-good aesthetics and oblique plots involving a society destroyed by the products of its own hubris and hedonism). Wonder what their next project will be like.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Actually the destruction of the city was almost entirely unforeseen. The only reason it occurred was because when they absorbed Blue into the Transistor, the lack of any of his census (or whatever it's called) data in the system caused a reset of the Process, which caused everything to be hosed. Their plan would've been fine, and probably very beneficial for the people in the long run, had Blue's sacrifice not hosed everything else. You can't tell me you guess that, unless you guessed "Oh these clearly labelled bad guys are bad guys, which isn't actually even true, technically - they can't control the Process now. In which case, sure, good vs bad is a cliche in story telling I suppose.

I have a lot of problems with Transistor's story, but only in how it's presented. All that poo poo I mentioned I only learned in reading summaries online, it's almost impossible to divine that from the scarce plot the game actually shows you.

It's foreseeable in that using a mysterious device to massively alter the city is obviously inherently dangerous. Sure, they didn't anticipate the exact reason why it went horribly wrong, but it's like geoengineering solutions to global warming: they would probably work, but anything that can alter the planet's climate enough to fix global warming could cause problems just as severe. And the specific particulars of how and why things went wrong really don't matter since they're not a big revelation: so what that Blue didn't have the whatever-data? What does that really change about what we think about him?

Also I'm not sure how you memorized Transistor's plot while missing the central point that yes, the Camerata are evil, and were wrong to use the Transistor in the first place. If Blue hadn't been absorbed, the effect would have been "beneficial" only to them, with all of Cloudbank's other residents disenfranchised to satisfy their ennui.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Darkest Dungeon, I love you bro but you got some issues. Mostly that if you give me two crusaders in the first 3 weeks the game becomes trivialized and I have no intention or hiring any of the shittier classes now. Hellion? Maybe if I want someone who's skills turn them into a wet paperbag poking at the enemy with a stick. Jester? Hahah get the gently caress out, what the hell are you even doing. Grave Digger? Cool, you can't even dig graves without an item like everyone else, go diddle yourself in the corner with the Plague Doctor and the Leper.

One Vetsal, one Highwayman and two Crusaders make the game so goddamn easy it's not even funny. And then I figured out how to take out the enemies in the back of the formations with never ending Holy Lances from both Crusaders. Then if they get super racist towards certain enemies you're basically made for the rest of the game.

I'm really digging the game, it's one of the most fun ones I've played in a long time, but the devs seriously have to re-balance some of the classes so they're useful beyond "puts lovely damage over time effect on someone."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

muscles like this? posted:

The start of Chapter 10 in the new Shadow Warrior game is pretty terrible. Things you can interact with glow yellow and for some reason they decided to put the item you needed to continue the stage on the ground in a pool of yellow light so it is easy to overlook. Part of the reason its annoying is because you can keep going into the stage for a little bit more until you get stuck in front of a spinning blade, which almost looks like you can get through because there's a chunk missing from the blade.

Although the stupidest part is that you don't even use the item you pick up (C4) to get past the blade. Instead when you go down there after picking up the C4 all of a sudden you can use a console to turn the blade off.

The bigger issue with Shadow Warrior is that it's extremely boring. It starts great and turns into a boring shooter in an industrial park really fast.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

The bigger issue with Shadow Warrior is that it's extremely boring. It starts great and turns into a boring shooter in an industrial park really fast.

It gets better after the industrial park but that section is just a painful slog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it really is a shame that Shadow Warrior goes downhill so quickly. I almost couldn't finish the game because near the end they throw two of those big angry beasties that you can only hit in the back at you at once in addition to a whole shitload of normal mooks, and those dudes are the worst loving enemies because there's basically no way to actually kill them that won't severely hurt you in the process. If you run out of rockets like I did and go into that fight with none, you're totally hosed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Darkest Dungeon, I love you bro but you got some issues. Mostly that if you give me two crusaders in the first 3 weeks the game becomes trivialized and I have no intention or hiring any of the shittier classes now. Hellion? Maybe if I want someone who's skills turn them into a wet paperbag poking at the enemy with a stick. Jester? Hahah get the gently caress out, what the hell are you even doing. Grave Digger? Cool, you can't even dig graves without an item like everyone else, go diddle yourself in the corner with the Plague Doctor and the Leper.

One Vetsal, one Highwayman and two Crusaders make the game so goddamn easy it's not even funny. And then I figured out how to take out the enemies in the back of the formations with never ending Holy Lances from both Crusaders. Then if they get super racist towards certain enemies you're basically made for the rest of the game.

I'm really digging the game, it's one of the most fun ones I've played in a long time, but the devs seriously have to re-balance some of the classes so they're useful beyond "puts lovely damage over time effect on someone."

The Plague Doctor got buffed like, two days ago. Graverobbers too, though they could already wreck the difficulty curve in pitch blackness.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying Okami HD and it's held up incredibly well in a way that many PS2 games probably haven't, but it would have been better to dial down Issun's presence a whole lot. He's not only one of those annoying objective reminders in the worst way, i.e. spell out absolutely everything to the point where you don't so much play a game as go through the laid out motions, but he's also just a plain annoying character to deal with and clashes with the rest of the game's tone. It's obviously deliberate but it's still not a lot of fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm replaying Okami HD and it's held up incredibly well in a way that many PS2 games probably haven't, but it would have been better to dial down Issun's presence a whole lot. He's not only one of those annoying objective reminders in the worst way, i.e. spell out absolutely everything to the point where you don't so much play a game as go through the laid out motions, but he's also just a plain annoying character to deal with and clashes with the rest of the game's tone. It's obviously deliberate but it's still not a lot of fun.
Issun remains my least favorite sidekick in any game ever.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

The Plague Doctor got buffed like, two days ago. Graverobbers too, though they could already wreck the difficulty curve in pitch blackness.

I might have to start a new file where I just do low torchlight runs then. I can see there'd be a lot of synergy between the plaguedoctor and bounty hunter, but there's just no incentive to do so once you learn the fun of never ending holy lances.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I have similar feelings about Bastion and it's setting. An apocalypse is only an apocalypse if there was something to destroy. It's not enough to say something was destroyed, we have to have a frame of reference. And as Bastion starts, all we have is a promise that 'something happened' and that 'it wasn't anything like this'. We have no idea what was lost and what it means to lose everything, as far as the player is aware 'before' is just a black, empty slate. Especially when the farther you go along, the more apparent that the world is drastically different from ours. So as far as the player is aware, nothing was lost, the world is just a bunch of floating islands, and everyone is sad about it. The same effect would be made if in LotR we were told Middle Earth just went through cataclysmic changes due to end times. As far as we know, we missed one fantastical world just to see another, and we can't relate because everything is so alien to us, and yet is so familiar to them. The only glimpse of the world that was is in one of the endings, showing a world surprisingly similar to ours, where the kid works as manual labor even. To me, it was actually downright shocking when the entire time I was expecting a high fantasy world. Meanwhile, the other path just leads to the characters accepting the world as is, much like how the player has from moment one.

Like how someone said the writer cares for the characters a lot more than the player, the same goes for Bastion's and the setting.

You might not ever see the world pre-Bastion, but you get a good sense of what was lost. The music especially, as well as the community feeling the narrator talks about. It all felt like he was nostalgic for a blue collar existence that was snatched away, like those scenes in films when all the tired people from the factory get together, sing folk songs, and drink all weekend. You don't need to see that as the player, just know that someone (the narrator) misses it immensely.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I might have to start a new file where I just do low torchlight runs then. I can see there'd be a lot of synergy between the plaguedoctor and bounty hunter, but there's just no incentive to do so once you learn the fun of never ending holy lances.

My favorite team is the Occultist, Plague Doctor, Bounty Hunter, Leper. Leper has Hew, Chop Intimidate and Revenge with the accuracy and crit camp buff. Occultist has Abyssal Artillery for hitting the back row, his heal (which can cause bleed to counteract its huge healing potential) and two debuffs, one of which marks targets. He also has the self speed and companion damage camp buffs. The PD has her back row stun, battlefield medicine for countering the Occultists bleeds and the enemies blights, and Vapors for more damage, then a camp heal if its needed. The bounty Hunter has FInish Him (bonus damage to stun targets), Collect Bounty (bonus to marked targets), Flashbang and his pull move; he also has the accuracy camp buff and the two-size monster bonus damage buff. Camp and the Leper can more than double his damage on any given turn, and Lepers are already the hardest hitting guys in the game. The PD can stun and the Occultist can mark anything the BH wants to delete while the Leper chews through the front ranks, or the BH can pull something he wants the Leper to remove from play. They end up being a very versatile and self-sustaining team.

Meanwhile my Holy Lance crusaders were eaten by the Hag :cry:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

You might not ever see the world pre-Bastion, but you get a good sense of what was lost. The music especially, as well as the community feeling the narrator talks about. It all felt like he was nostalgic for a blue collar existence that was snatched away, like those scenes in films when all the tired people from the factory get together, sing folk songs, and drink all weekend. You don't need to see that as the player, just know that someone (the narrator) misses it immensely.

And then you read between the lines and see that it was actually a segregated police state that developed a magic nuke to finish killing off the continent's natives, and the narrator is just too blinded by patriotism and guilt to acknowledge it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lotish posted:

Meanwhile my Holy Lance crusaders were eaten by the Hag :cry:

Yeah Holy Lance doesn't work on that boss battle. I had to switch both Crusaders to the pot when it ate someone, then have the Highwayman go straight for the boss no matter what. Vestal just heals every turn unless your Crusader freaks out and misses a hit, then she can judgement it and get some healing back for herself at least.

It's a bit tricky on that fight but I haven't encountered any other that was difficult, even with the reduced damage going into the Wealds/Warrens.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

And then you read between the lines and see that it was actually a segregated police state that developed a magic nuke to finish killing off the continent's natives, and the narrator is just too blinded by patriotism and guilt to acknowledge it.

Natives who were teaching their kids nursery-rhymes about how some day they're gonna genocide all those assholes up in that big fancy city.

The conflict in Bastion is almost an inevitability. Everyone you fight, the gasbags, the Ura, the rabbit things, even the birds and crocodiles are just fighting for their survival. Nobody wants a war, but by gum war is happening and nobody is willing to lay down and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In bastion the moral of the story is that everyone just wants to genocide everyone, which you learn while genociding everyone.