Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
John Daly shoots a 65 at Pebble Beach today. Let's go, John!!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My new irons arrived at the post office today, can't wait to pick them up.

Then I remember that there's 3 feet of loving snow outside and the high temp on Sunday is going to be 0 degrees. Fuuuuuu

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
What did you get??

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seymour Butts posted:

John Daly shoots a 65 at Pebble Beach today. Let's go, John!!

is he wearing some amazing pants

I hope so :allears:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Seymour Butts posted:

What did you get??

Used Bridgestone J40 DPCs that are close to mint. Got them off eBay for a steal. They have the flighted Project X 5.5 shafts which might not be ideal for me but the price was similar to what I've seen for just the heads so I jumped on them.

There's a golf center near me that has two of the Fullswing simulators, I'm going to have to look into whether I can use them to figure out my distances and such or if they're only really used for playing courses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jiminez and his beautiful hair lead Thailand after a 7 birdie round

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Doyzer posted:

Tiger has a lot work ahead of him before the Masters. I don't think his pride will let him chip/pitch like that at Augusta.

Sure does. His chipping is god drat atrocious. He is hitting everything fat or stubbing it. I don't think there was 1 chip I saw his last round where he made decent contact with a wedge. His distances are all off, his accuracy is shot. His new swing is weird and I think his muscle memory is fighting it and he ends up decelerating and forcing wrist break. This is one of those rare times where golfers like myself that shoot low 80's high 70's can pretend we're better than Tiger, if only for a week.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

thebushcommander posted:

This is one of those rare times where golfers like myself that shoot low 80's high 70's can pretend we're better than Tiger, if only for a week.

Playing courses that are 1000 yards shorter :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Yeah, 1,000+ yards shorter, wider (and slower) fairways, less penal rough, and slower greens. But yeah, I know what you mean about feeling temporarily superior to Tiger.

I'm gonna (hopefully) play the Shell Houston Open Tournament course the Saturday before they shut it down for the tournament. If I'm hitting it okay, I'll scoot back to the tips for ultimate torture. Breaking 80 would be INSANE.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Yeah but can Tiger play off of dead grass and dirt like us scrubs, or putt on a shaggy public green covered in divots, or wait twenty minutes to drive because of the elederly foursome walking ahead of him???

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Serious question, what would a scratch amateur shoot at a course in PGA tournament condition?

Considering there are PGA pros shooting rounds in the 80s at nearly every PGA event, I have to assume they would have a tough time breaking 90.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's all about the course and the player. Is it their home course or one they've never played before? Are they a scratch player than can go super low occasionally, but also puts up rounds in the 80s, or one that's consistently hovering around par but never puts up a -6 round? Are they a short or long hitter? Etc., etc...

My personal examples:

A friend of mine is a scratch golfer (plays to a -1 to +1 at any give time) and a member at Riviera. He's in his 30's, hits it 285-300 off the tee, has a fantastic short game, and has played the course a couple hundred times. Every year he gets to play the course right up until a couple days before the Monday of the tournament, and then again at the end of the following week once the tour clears out.

Riv is set up so that you can play back at the tees the tour uses pretty easily, even when they aren't set up back there, and the pros play it at roughly 7400 yards. Last year, on the Thursday of the week before the tournament, we played there from the pro tee boxes. He shot a 71 without making any putts longer than 12' or so and with no crazy hole-outs for eagle or anything like that. Just a very steady round with a bunch of pars and a couple birdies/bogies along the way.

I was playing to a 3 or 4 index at the time and this was my 4th time playing Riv (first from that far back) and I shot a 77. The first time I played Riv, from the 6500 yard white tees, I shot an 85. For me it was all about being comfortable on the course - knowing where you can and can't miss shots and having some feel for the greens (even though they were much faster right before the tournament than they were when I shot an 85).

Riv is a difficult golf course, but most of the challenge is around the greens and bunkers. Off the tee it's not brutally penalizing, especially if you have some length, so it plays to my strengths pretty well. Put me on a US Open type course with tiny fairways and OB/water/hazards everywhere and I will shoot 100.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think a legit* scratch golfer would have little trouble breaking 90 at a tour course, given that the scratch golfer is playing from reasonably similar distance tees and fast greened courses. Maybe they would struggle at a US open venue or a tough Open course when the weather is fierce, but if a scratch golfer shoots 90, thats a REALLY bad round for them, and would put them like 20-25 strokes behind a decent opening round for any pro. Heck, when I was a 2 handicap I'm confident I could break 90 on a lot of tour courses. But I'm reasonably long with a good short game, if I limit my penalty strokes then I have to be hitting my irons REALLY bad to shoot in the 90s. I played here a few years ago:
http://www.harvestergolf.com/golf/scorecard.html, from the black tees, it's rated at 76 and the greens were easily 12 on the stimpmeter and I shot in the low 80s. That's NEVER going to compete with a pro golfer but I wasn't really in any danger of not breaking 90. The difference between me and a pro was that I was never in danger of shooting in the 60s either :).

The pros are good, unfathomably good to some people, but they aren't TWENTY strokes better than a scratch golfer per round. A pro will be a lot more consistent than a scratch golfer, but they aren't going to beat a scratch golfer by 80-100 strokes in a 4 round tournament.

I think a scratch golfer would hover in that mid 70s - low 80s area, with an occasional round in the high 60s-low 70s if they are really hitting fairways/greens and making putts. A scratch golfer isn't going to score bad if he's hitting fairways and hitting it long, it's when the scratch golfer misses the fairway and then misses the green with regularity that they will start struggling on a PGA course. Note that hovering in the mid 70s to low 80s is going to miss every cut on the PGA tour.

*legit means an honest to god scratch, who hits the ball long off the tee. Not your 50 year old scratch golfer who plays from 6400 yards and hits it 240 off the tee.

I probably wouldn't have broke 90 at the olympic Club US open a few years back though, that was nuts.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
I agree, it would be tough to break 85. Greens are firmer, faster, and the rough is longer. Depending on the course a scratch golfer is going to shoot around 75-77 on their home course because your handicap is your 10 best of your last 20 scores/differentials.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
One of my favorite things about the Masters is how Jeff Knox, a +2 who serves as a noncompeting marker if the post-cut field is odd, often beats his pro opponents.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E oops

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Finally got around to putting on the new grips the wifey got my for xmas.

First time doing grips, friend had done them before and helped me out. Wasn't too hard really. Hopefully will get to try them out this weekend.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
standard? I've been thinking about putting on new grips and adding a couple extra wraps under them so they are just smaller than mid-size. I also want to cut about 1-1.25 inches of length from my 3-wood. I usually just choke down, but if cutting it down is going to effect the shaft too much, maybe I'll just put 2 extra wraps on the top of the grip and 3 on the bottom. It's the default rocketfuel 60 gram stiff shaft that comes with the RBZ Stage 2, if anyone knows more about torque, kickpoint, etc and how that all works.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

standard? I've been thinking about putting on new grips and adding a couple extra wraps under them so they are just smaller than mid-size. I also want to cut about 1-1.25 inches of length from my 3-wood. I usually just choke down, but if cutting it down is going to effect the shaft too much, maybe I'll just put 2 extra wraps on the top of the grip and 3 on the bottom. It's the default rocketfuel 60 gram stiff shaft that comes with the RBZ Stage 2, if anyone knows more about torque, kickpoint, etc and how that all works.
Butt-trimming a shaft, as you're thinking about, won't affect the flex of the shaft, but you will lose a LOT of swingweight. 1/2" roughly corresponds to 3 swingweight points, so cutting 1.25" would be losing 8 swingweight points. You can replace that with lead tape, where 2g of lead tape adds 1 SW point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

Ya standard. I like how these feel a lot better than the golf prides that were on them from the mizuno factory. A friend wants to goto deweys again thursday so maybe I'll head over there to break them in before a real round.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Does anyone have any thoughts about golf instructors, namely Jimmy Ballard? I know he was extremely popular in the 80's, but he was Curtis Strange's swing coach when he won back to back U.S Opens and Rocco Mediate in the mid 2000's when he made a run at Tiger. I have a new golf coach that I've been seeing for the past two weeks and after doing some research on him (after the fact) I found out that he is a Ballard "disciple". Ballard was his mentor and I have been working on things like keeping my arms "connected" and hitting half shots, wider stance, quiet wrists and hands, level hips through impact, and things of that nature. I have been hitting the ball more consistently and I will continue to do what works. Anyway, I've been doing some reading online and have seen that Ballard gets a lot of hate and I was just wondering if any of you have any opinions.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Hey Florida folks. I'm organizing a trip for my golf club to Orlando, and I'm looking for courses to play. I've been there golfing twice now, and I'm hoping to see some new courses.

The courses I have already played:
Falcon's Fire
Disney's Magnolia
Disney's LBV
Orange County National
Watson Course at Reunion
New Course at Cypress Grand Villas

Ideally golf should be less than $100 a round, but that's a very soft cap. I think the most I've paid at any of those courses is $80.
We're planning on playing 5 rounds, and I know that the New Course is definitely going to be one of them. Probably Magnolia too, since it used to be on the PGA Tour.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Hey Florida folks. I'm organizing a trip for my golf club to Orlando, and I'm looking for courses to play. I've been there golfing twice now, and I'm hoping to see some new courses.

The courses I have already played:
Falcon's Fire
Disney's Magnolia
Disney's LBV
Orange County National
Watson Course at Reunion
New Course at Cypress Grand Villas

Ideally golf should be less than $100 a round, but that's a very soft cap. I think the most I've paid at any of those courses is $80.
We're planning on playing 5 rounds, and I know that the New Course is definitely going to be one of them. Probably Magnolia too, since it used to be on the PGA Tour.

How far are you willing to travel?

El Campeon at Mission Inn is a pretty amazing course.

http://www.missioninnresort.com/golf/el-campeon-golf-course.html

Black Bear is a very challenging and hilly course and is one of my favorites to play as it's pretty close to me.

http://blackbeargolfclub.com/

Red Tail is another good one out near Black Bear

http://www.redtailgc.com/

And if you want a real links style course in Florida check our Royal St Cloud

http://royalstcloudgolflinks.com/

I play all these courses on the regular and they are all always in excellent shape with (depending on when you're coming) reasonably priced tee times. The most expensive one on the list will be Mission Inn, but even then the last time I played it it was around $60.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Waldorf Astoria course is gorgeous but your budget will probably only have you playing 9 or taking one of the twilight rates. They really vary depending on when you'll be going

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Thanks for the suggestions, they've been entered into the pool of possible courses. I've already got 11 people signed up for this trip, it should be a good time. Undoubtedly some will cancel, I'm sure.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Finally ordered new new clubs today.

TaylorMade R15 Tp with a Graphite Design Tour Ad DI 70, anyone have any experience with this shaft? I have a Diamana 'ahina in my current driver.

Also picked up the Rsi Tp irons

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Thanks Callaway for following TM and changing to a yearly release on the Xhot/X2hot/XR................and making the colors completely different every year. At least that inspired me to get a X2hot 5hybrid (:corsair:) to match my X2hot 4hybrid before they all disappeared.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
After two weeks of lessons, and 4-5 days of practicing a week I have dropped a staggering 15 strokes. It's loving insane and I don't think I've been happier since I fell in love when I was 17. My last round was two weeks ago and I shot a 94. I've been working really hard and pureing shots with every club on the range for the past four days, so I decided to squeeze a round in on Wednesday. It was unusually cold (50's) and extremely windy. I'm talking about 20 mph with 30 mph gusts. I told myself that if I broke 90 it would be a good round. Anyway, I'll spare you the details, but I shot 80. My best round ever in the worst conditions I've ever played. I didn't fat or thin one iron and I only missed a handful of fairways. I short sided myself on about half a dozen holes which made up and downs nearly impossible since I don't practice flop shots very often. I could not be happier and I would kiss my new golf instructor if I wasn't afraid it would cross the line between student and teacher. I'm so loving psyched I can't even explain it. Before I saw this guy I didn't even have a reliable pre-shot routine, it would differ between every shot because I had no idea what I was trying to accomplish. Now, I'm using one of the drills I learned before every shot and I find myself with a consistent pre-shot routine that is unique to my swing and thoughtful of what I'm trying to do. I'm stoked to practice even more and hopefully within the year I will be scoring in the 70's from the tips. Right now, I'm playing from the whites, which is the member's tees. Anyway, hope all of you are getting better and having a great time!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doyzer posted:

Finally ordered new new clubs today.

TaylorMade R15 Tp with a Graphite Design Tour Ad DI 70, anyone have any experience with this shaft? I have a Diamana 'ahina in my current driver.

Also picked up the Rsi Tp irons
AD DI is a mid launch, mid spin shaft whereas your current Ahina is low/low.

Very popular though since Tiger started using it a few years ago.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
We will see how it works it a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I spin the ball a fair amount. I have an extra shaft (F1 Motore 2.1) so I might keep the Diamana just in case

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I have the ad di 6 and am totally obsessed with it. I also have the 8 in my 3 and 5 wood. Phenomenal shaft. I used to have major spin problems, and that shaft (with some work on my swing) brought my spin down to ideal levels.

Edit: went out and played today. 41/35. Hit every par 5 in two, but 3 doubles cancelled that out. Really like how I'm swinging right now, but my reliable fade turned into a draw and it weirds me out. Hopefully it was just a today thing. I like playing a fade.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 21, 2015

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Woot's got a bunch of last season's iron sets for a couple hundred off, for anyone that's looking. http://www.woot.com/plus/iron-sets-a-little-too-ironic

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

the thread's mascot did not have a strong finish today

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

ironlung posted:

That is why he is a mascot.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

ironlung posted:

zinc68 posted:

That is why he is a mascot.

https://twitter.com/TheSergioGarcia/status/567717005185548288/photo/1

He's the best mascot, though. He faltered because I wasn't able to watch him down the stretch.

He's easy money next week. Book it!

Speaking of booking, I'm getting closer to booking a tee time at Redstone the day before it's closed in preparation for the Shell Houston Open. If all goes according to plan, I'll have all spring break to play some warmup rounds. I walked a 9 hole course for 18 holes today, shot a couple over. Was 6 inches away from holing out for eagle on 1, then left an eagle putt 6 inches short on hole 8. Easily could have shot under par, as it was a short course with tiny greens and very little trouble, but it felt good after being off for a few weeks.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I was actually pulling for Sergio at the end there. Tough to watch him choke it away on the last 2 holes. At least the finishes at Riv the last handful of years have been fun to watch.

I'm playing Riv on Tuesday so I'll see if I can break 80, even though the course will be a little softer than it was for most of the tournament due to all the rain today.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Only watched bits and pieces of Sundays round but I could not imagine playing in rain like that. In the next step this year to take golf seriously, I have decided to replace my hand me down wedges. Where do I start? Do all the brands wedges differ large amounts?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Only watched bits and pieces of Sundays round but I could not imagine playing in rain like that. In the next step this year to take golf seriously, I have decided to replace my hand me down wedges. Where do I start? Do all the brands wedges differ large amounts?

Every major brand should have loft wedges of lofts between at least 52 and 58 degrees. It isn't the cheapest but if you can get somewhere that has an outdoor range where you can get a feel for swinging them at various lofts and see what would be most useful for you. Personally I have a 52 (that doubles as a sand wedge) and a 54, because I just cannot hit anything near 60* well.

As far as things like pitching, gap, and sand wedges, same thing. Every brand is going to have them and by and wide they should have similar lofts (A Ping PW shouldn't be really any different loft-wise from a Taylormade, for example). That said, they could have different feels, and 80% of the short game is all about feel (the other 20% is not hitting it fat/thin like I do all the time :downs: ). Any time you can get hitting real balls with them is time well spent. A lot of ranges should have demo clubs you can try. You don't necessarily need to go through a full fitting if you don't have the money, but they're godsends if you do. My fitting at Ping was basically to determine how to consistently hit various distances inside of 100 yards and which wedges would best get me there. Knowing that a full swing of my 54 lob wedge will consistently put the ball 60 yards is a wonderful thing.

Actually executing it well is entirely another :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
With wedges you should also consider "bounce" to a certain extent. The last thread (linked in the OP) explains pretty much all you need to know. More bounce is better for fluffy sand, high grass and soft conditions - less bounce is better for tight lies and harder conditions - medium bounce is okay-ish for both unless you tend to take big divots. All your irons slowly increase in bounce in a standard progression, but with wedges you can choose to have more or less than "normal".

It can also be very difficult to hit a high-bounce wedge off of fairways or range mats, which is why you might hit sand wedges and 56-60 degree wedges horribly if you demo them at a Golf Galaxy or something. I like to carry a med-high bounce sand wedge for sand and rough, and a low bounce 60 degree wedge for short grass and fairways, but like DJExile said a lot of it is personal preference. But for most people it's really hard to hit high-bounce wedges off mats and firm fairways because you'll keep blading the ball.