Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Crabtree posted:

Weirdly enough it seemed to be on ABC family first, but it was one of those French/Canadian faux anime styled shows that got shipped to the US and HAD UP TO A 6TH(?!) SEASON produced for roughly similar reasons as Johnny Test is still being made. Except, y'know, the whole other obvious reason everyone's brought up as to why it would apparently attract a regular 1.6 million viewers during the time when Code Lyoko and Miguzi roamed Cartoon Network. "Kids" would rather expose themselves to the dark heart of the internet than subject themselves to Foreheads the TV Series if Toonami wasn't on.

The last season was 2013-2014, :wtc:

Looking at the episode listing I think I only caught like maybe 5 of these, so that explains why I couldn't remember why I watched it as I probably wasn't and gave up on it quickly. Also the synopses for the episodes are kinda amusing in so much that the B-plot is often super trivial compared the A-Plot, ex: One of the girls is kidnapped by the bad guy and held hostage, in the side plot another one of the girls is voted Most Popular in the school yearbook. The one for the episode I remember where one got really fat eating snack cakes is she was upset that her hat size is a large.

How does this kinda thing go on for six seasons?

Edit: The episode where one gets kidnapped isn't resolved until like 6 episodes later in the next season...also the first episode of season 5 is the plot from loving Dangan Ronpa sans murder.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Brightman posted:

The last season was 2013-2014, :wtc:

Looking at the episode listing I think I only caught like maybe 5 of these, so that explains why I couldn't remember why I watched it as I probably wasn't and gave up on it quickly. Also the synopses for the episodes are kinda amusing in so much that the B-plot is often super trivial compared the A-Plot, ex: One of the girls is kidnapped by the bad guy and held hostage, in the side plot another one of the girls is voted Most Popular in the school yearbook. The one for the episode I remember where one got really fat eating snack cakes is she was upset that her hat size is a large.

How does this kinda thing go on for six seasons?

Edit: The episode where one gets kidnapped isn't resolved until like 6 episodes later in the next season...also the first episode of season 5 is the plot from loving Dangan Ronpa sans murder.

Nobody is paying attention and they forget to cancel it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Applewhite posted:

Nobody is paying attention and they forget to cancel it.

Canada is this starved for home grown content with ratings. Better to deal with a devil that pulls revenue in than the ones that get absolutely nothing at all?

Hopefully today's episode is good enough to help me go back to forgetting totally spies ever existed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

Canada is this starved for home grown content with ratings. Better to deal with a devil that pulls revenue in than the ones that get absolutely nothing at all?

Hopefully today's episode is good enough to help me go back to forgetting totally spies ever existed.

Oh poo poo it's all new Thursday!

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Ugh, I remember that whole spy craze that was going on in the early 00's. One part annoying kids, one part supposed women empowerment. Not a very fun time period.

At least we had Teen Titans, a show so legendary it should never get a childish spin off.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TheFattestPat posted:

Ugh, I remember that whole spy craze that was going on in the early 00's. One part annoying kids, one part supposed women empowerment. Not a very fun time period.

At least we had Teen Titans, a show so legendary it should never get a childish spin off.

Was going back and watching the original Teen Titans show to demonstrate to my wife how awesome it was (she's become a big fan of TTG but had never heard of TT). It is not as good as I remember it and maybe it was even not so good a show?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
People often forget how badly the anime stuff meshed with the show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Applewhite posted:

Which do you think was a worse Canadian cartoon: Atomic Betty or Johnny Test?

Johnny Test wins on number of whipcrack sound effects per episode alone.

Comedy answer: Any given iteration of Total Drama Island.

Crabtree posted:

And yet, Clone High and Wolverine & The X-Men got cancelled after one season.

Applewhite posted:

Was going back and watching the original Teen Titans show to demonstrate to my wife how awesome it was (she's become a big fan of TTG but had never heard of TT). It is not as good as I remember it and maybe it was even not so good a show?

Teen Titans was really bad, aside from a stretch of episodes a few seasons in. There's a reason it gets mocked mercilessly on TTG.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 12, 2015

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It took a while for it to get away from dumb one-off filler episodes and anime garbage. Actually I'm looking through the episode list now and I don't see a single worthwhile non-arc episode until around season 3. And even then they're mostly the ones where poo poo goes completely crazy (like the Mad Mod episodes or the FLCL parody). Most of each season's arc-related episodes, on the other hand, are pretty decent. The movie was very "eh."

raditts posted:

Teen Titans was really bad, aside from a stretch of episodes a few seasons in. There's a reason it gets mocked mercilessly on TTG.
I'm curious, which stretch are you referring to here?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hazo posted:

It took a while for it to get away from dumb one-off filler episodes and anime garbage. Actually I'm looking through the episode list now and I don't see a single worthwhile non-arc episode until around season 3. And even then they're mostly the ones where poo poo goes completely crazy (like the Mad Mod episodes or the FLCL parody). Most of each season's arc-related episodes, on the other hand, are pretty decent. The movie was very "eh."

Derrick J. Wyatt went on to say that his biggest regret was that movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

raditts posted:

Johnny Test wins on number of whipcrack sound effects per episode alone.

Comedy answer: Any given iteration of Total Drama Island.
Yeah Johnny Test is awful(although the first season was actually decent if derivative), also the Total Drama franchise continues to be a guilty pleasure of mine(as was 6Teen when it was still around)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Derrick J. Wyatt went on to say that his biggest regret was that movie.
That doesn't surprise me. Derrick and used to talk a lot over IM and he lurked here a bit while season five was airing but I don't remember reading that. Was it in an interview or from a forum post on titansgo or titanstower or something?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Hazo posted:

For me it was usually any story directly related to the main arc.

Usually those were pretty good and would have the right mix of humor and seriousness. The episode outside of the main arc... not so much.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hazo posted:

That doesn't surprise me. Derrick and used to talk a lot over IM and he lurked here a bit while season five was airing but I don't remember reading that. Was it in an interview or from a forum post on titansgo or titanstower or something?

In one of those ask sites. I think ask.go, I remember reading it sometime around a year ago, he was mostly getting questions relating to Ben 10 Omniverse

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hazo posted:

I don't remember exactly what season, but the ones with Terra / Deathstroke and the Trigon ones I remember being pretty good. They'd mostly dropped the anime poo poo by then.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

raditts posted:

I don't remember exactly what season, but the ones with Terra / Deathstroke and the Trigon ones I remember being pretty good. They'd mostly dropped the anime poo poo by then.

This, plus a couple goofy episodes like Kid Flash or Bunny Raven are pretty much all the good ones.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That Batman solo in the real boy song would be a great avatar. Goddamn do these people know how to make catchy songs.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crabtree posted:

That Batman solo in the real boy song would be a great avatar. Goddamn do these people know how to make catchy songs.

Also, Nite Owl--what?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
DC basically stole Watchmen from Moore and Dave Gibbons back in the 80s so they can be referenced whenever DC allows TTG to do it. So you might as well pull out the batman reference character to the song that is calling Batman infantile?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

The thing is, Teen Titans was okay, but it didn't age well. It had far more standalone episodes than overarching plots, unlike the series it always inevitably gets compared to, Justice League Unlimited. It was aimed far more at kids, so when anyone over that demographic tries to go watch it again, you end up skipping half the episodes just to get to the good "serious" arcs, all the while raising your eye at the goofy one-offs going "what is this poo poo?".

That said, I still really like a lot of the more serious episodes. I love the one where Robin basically starts hallucinating Slade every time the lights are off because Slade laced his old mask with fear gas.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm starting to think Cyborg and Jinx are my favorite hero/villain couple in any cartoon ever.
Fun episode, just nice and cool. I kinda hope Fleshy Boy shows up a few more times.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

The thing is, Teen Titans was okay, but it didn't age well. It had far more standalone episodes than overarching plots, unlike the series it always inevitably gets compared to, Justice League Unlimited. It was aimed far more at kids, so when anyone over that demographic tries to go watch it again, you end up skipping half the episodes just to get to the good "serious" arcs, all the while raising your eye at the goofy one-offs going "what is this poo poo?".

That said, I still really like a lot of the more serious episodes. I love the one where Robin basically starts hallucinating Slade every time the lights are off because Slade laced his old mask with fear gas.

See, I'm the opposite. I thought Teen Titans was at its best when it was at its silliest (like the Mad Mod episode), which is probably why I'm such a fan of TTG.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I think he meant the one-off episodes that weren't crazy comedy bits were the ones that were boring, i.e. the one with the space dog or Starfire goes through puberty or pretty much anything to do with Cyborg.

Also I tried finding that Wyatt quote about the movie. It might be here, I couldn't find anything about the movie but there's a ton of questions (mostly about Transformers and Ben 10) and I haven't read through them all yet. Some parts are fantastic though. He's just totally fed up with these turbonerd manchildren asking him to read their Ben 10 fanfiction and poo poo.

quote:

Hello; I noticed that you leaved Deviantart. Any reason why? Also, can you explain to me why do you like the dark; the macabre and the goth? You have been posting photos related to those subjects on your TUMBLR account. Finally, I watched TFA Season 3, & your comments on "Transwarp". Excellent!!!‎

Deviantart is gross. I don't want to be there anymore.

quote:

hey, so i'm making a new ben 10 series. It's fan made, with real episodes and real animation.

Sounds awful.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 13, 2015

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Haha, that new episode was great. It had everything: All the titans being hilarious, Robin being a sneaky A-hole, everything coming together for a fight scene, lots of cameos, and Batman shredding a guitar solo.

I don't miss the original Teen Titans all that much. The first season was pretty solid. The overall arc with Slade was done pretty well, since his presence was felt throughout the whole season and I love that when faced against the whole team he got his rear end handed to him. The other seasonal arcs like Terra and Brother Blood were much less involved and could have been handled so much better. There's a handful of really good stand alone episodes, but other than that the show was pretty lame. I had a lot more fun watching Megas XLR.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hazo posted:

Also I tried finding that Wyatt quote about the movie. It might be here, I couldn't find anything about the movie but there's a ton of questions (mostly about Transformers and Ben 10) and I haven't read through them all yet. Some parts are fantastic though. He's just totally fed up with these turbonerd manchildren asking him to read their Ben 10 fanfiction and poo poo.

Yeah, he answered a ton of questions. Even back when I was sorta keeping track while Omniverse was airing I knew that any question over a week old would be impossible to track down.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

I think he meant the one-off episodes that weren't crazy comedy bits were the ones that were boring, i.e. the one with the space dog or Starfire goes through puberty or pretty much anything to do with Cyborg.

Woah there, nothing that involves the late, great Tony Jay is terrible. The episode was dumb alright, but hearing his voice is never a bad thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Teen Titans' opening song is really good

also really good: anime, jpop

Really though I'm still fascinated by how many people watching this show complain about the juvenile tone of the original, as if this one is any better at all?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 13, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think peoples' complaints with TT Original Recipe tend to boil down to the funny and serious elements just not meshing that well all the time. TTG is good, because it never tries to be serious and is just all fun all the time.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TwoPair posted:

I think peoples' complaints with TT Original Recipe tend to boil down to the funny and serious elements just not meshing that well all the time. TTG is good, because it never tries to be serious and is just all fun all the time.

That and did you see the poo poo people said about Go! when it was announced? Sure they were still sore from what happened to GL and Young Justice, but some are still bitching.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On that note, does anyone know when the TTG/YJ crossover episode is supposed to happen?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

The original was trying to strike gold on the anime fad of the early 2000s and wasn't just made for teenagers, but a specific type of teenager that was in that specific age bracket and time-frame. That's why I'm not sure even the anime dork kids of today would care for it.

Meanwhile, TTG is not just a good comedy show that translates well to kids and adults, but is a drat good satire of the original source material of both TT and DC comics in general. And that's why I think the superfans hate GO so much, they're looking at a show that is admitting and making fun of how shallow its predecessor was and that offends them so very much!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I mean "brutally trolls fans of the original" doesn't seem like a good reason to watch a TV show IMO. I don't hang out around deviantart, maybe one-upping these people is truly hilarious

And for what it's worth the humor in this show is IMO just as bad, grating, unfunny and obnoxious as the anime stuff in the original. The "it's not for kids mom!!!!!" stuff in your post is pretty hilarious. I will admit to having a soft spot for the original, though I haven't seen it since it aired, but without the rose tinted glasses I don't really like GO at all

I'm just saying adults posting about a children's flash animated comedy show on the internet should probably be careful of stones and glass houses and such

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 14, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like how in the original robin was pretty much superhuman and in TTG they constantly make fun of how useless he is because he doesn't have any powers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

icantfindaname posted:

And for what it's worth the humor in this show is IMO just as bad, grating, unfunny and obnoxious as the anime stuff in the original. The "it's not for kids mom!!!!!" stuff in your post is pretty hilarious. I will admit to having a soft spot for the original, though I haven't seen it since it aired, but without the rose tinted glasses I don't really like GO at all

I'm just saying adults posting about a children's flash animated comedy show on the internet should probably be careful of stones and glass houses and such

Wait, who said GO wasn't for kids? I was talking about how Teen Titans the first would probably be boring to anyone actually young these days, but this show is broadcast almost more times during the day than Gumball. Its made for a wider audience than anime hungry nerds and actually tuns in a profit if those commercials are to believed.

But if you want to go on again about how much you still don't care for this kids show, please by my guest.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
You all forget the worst travesty to come out of TT, the Puffy AmiYumi Show.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NarwhalParty posted:

Another show with a good opening song

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's fair

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Crabtree posted:

Woah there, nothing that involves the late, great Tony Jay is terrible. The episode was dumb alright, but hearing his voice is never a bad thing.
John DiMaggio was in an early episode too (before he was a regular as Brother Blood). It still sucked. v:v:v

NarwhalParty posted:

That's on purpose.

Crabtree posted:

The original was trying to strike gold on the anime fad of the early 2000s and wasn't just made for teenagers, but a specific type of teenager that was in that specific age bracket and time-frame. That's why I'm not sure even the anime dork kids of today would care for it.
Successfully too. They very deliberately aimed toward kids in certain cliques during their awkward preteen years and it worked magnificently-- jock/Cyborg, relationship issues/Robin, awkward prankster/Beast Boy, but by far the most resonant was the "nobody understand me even though I'm so dark and antisocial and unique :qq:" tropes of Raven. Loner goth kids loving latched on to her like parasites since she was "just like them" and it drove up the show's popularity like crazy (doesn't hurt that there's a large overlap between most of those groups and anime fans who absolutely loved the crazy deformed faces).

Most of those kids grew out of it by the time the show ended, but you still see a ton of people on places like imgur and reddit who obviously saw the show much younger than we did and are still in that uncomfortable part of growing up, and they hate TT Go because it doesn't treat their personal on-screen avatars with the respect they think they deserve.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 14, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

NarwhalParty posted:

He considers jpop "really good" so he's probably used to enjoying terrible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Young Justice episode is next week!
:allears: finally

• Locked thread