Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
He seems to have figured out how to achieve Sanderson's writing speed at least, if he can churn out 600 page novels in nine months like that. I hadn't even bothered looking up the title for this one yet, so thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Mygna posted:

He seems to have figured out how to achieve Sanderson's writing speed at least, if he can churn out 600 page novels in nine months like that. I hadn't even bothered looking up the title for this one yet, so thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, he's also done a bunch of short stories and a couple novellas set in the same universe. All that in less than 2 years of release time.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Cicero posted:

Yeah, he's also done a bunch of short stories and a couple novellas set in the same universe. All that in less than 2 years of release time.

Probably just a pseudonym that Sanderson is using so he can get more books published...

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Cicero posted:

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3) from noted Sanderclone Brian McClellan comes out tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Republic-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00KVK33AI/
How is the trilogy? I checked the Tvtropes page for an impression (I know, I know) and apparently one of the (adult, male) main characters is in a relationship with a nineteen year old girl who looks fifteen, which is a bit of a red flag in the "No seriously, the little girl's actually a 700 year old dragon!" sense.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Mars4523 posted:

How is the trilogy? I checked the Tvtropes page for an impression (I know, I know) and apparently one of the (adult, male) main characters is in a relationship with a nineteen year old girl who looks fifteen, which is a bit of a red flag in the "No seriously, the little girl's actually a 700 year old dragon!" sense.

(disclaimer: I've only read the first one) She's also a Magical Savage, mute, with a blood debt to him. And is the most prominent female character in the book. Serious Bechdel fail, there. I liked the magic system and most of the side characters, though. I'm thinking of picking up the sequels if #2 goes on sale for #3's release...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3) from noted Sanderclone Brian McClellan comes out tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Republic-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00KVK33AI/
gently caress yeah!

Also the library got in firefight! Woo!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mars4523 posted:

The age difference between them is only three years if I remember right. The male character, Taniel, when we're in his head, thinks of himself as a mature worldy-wise hero, but his actions are those of a hot-headed young guy barely out of his teens who acts without thinking and has a (well-meaning) superiority complex because of his special powers. None of the other characters ever really comment on Pole's age, and I think that her being much older than Taniel thinks she is is meant to be a jab against him - he thinks he's all special and grown up and she's just a kid because he has an over-inflated sense of his own maturity.

I don't know anything about McClellan outside of this series though, so I could be wrong. It's kind of like the debate over whether Sanderson's characters are deliberately meant to be unfunny or not, just with creepier potential implications. :shrug:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 10, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are you trying to imply Lightsong isn't funny?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I'm pretty sure David Charleston from the Reckoners is supposed to be unfunny, since he's called out on his lovely jokes in book 2.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 10, 2015

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

I think he's serious. Dead as a squirrel serious.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Tahirovic posted:

Lightsong is the funniest character Sanderson ever wrote and I hope he writes more like him. He was just such a casual rear end in a top hat that everyone around him played the perfect straight man.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Hopeford posted:

Lightsong is the funniest character Sanderson ever wrote and I hope he writes more like him. He was just such a casual rear end in a top hat that everyone around him played the perfect straight man.

Agreed. The question is whether Sanderson wrote him believing the jokes to be actually funny which isn't where the humor comes from, or if it's one step back with a character that cracks off color non stop jokes in every situation like smearing a giant "gently caress you" middle finger in everyone's face all the time, which is hilarious given context of supposedly being a god. I'm sure he's capable of writing the latter these days, as he's gotten better about the subtle stuff, but Warbreaker is ancient and I'm thinking early Sanderson literally just thought LIghtsong jokes were funny.

Still love Lightsong to no end though.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Lightsong was easily the best thing about an otherwise entirely forgettable work.

I guess Vasher/Nightblood was pretty cool too, and extra so in hindsight because of their appearance in Stormlight. The world and story of Warbreaker were weak as hell though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Agreed. The question is whether Sanderson wrote him believing the jokes to be actually funny which isn't where the humor comes from, or if it's one step back with a character that cracks off color non stop jokes in every situation like smearing a giant "gently caress you" middle finger in everyone's face all the time, which is hilarious given context of supposedly being a god. I'm sure he's capable of writing the latter these days, as he's gotten better about the subtle stuff, but Warbreaker is ancient and I'm thinking early Sanderson literally just thought LIghtsong jokes were funny.

Still love Lightsong to no end though.

Warbreaker was written and revised live, so Brandon tossed up a blog post asking if the jokes were working or not.

Virtually everyone on his forums said they thought it was funny, but that's sorta a biased group

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 11, 2015

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Came to see if anyone was discussing Winter Dragon and found some of the wackiest theories about the Reckoners instead.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Maytag posted:

Came to see if anyone was discussing Winter Dragon and found some of the wackiest theories about the Reckoners instead.

It has been/was being talked about in the WoT thread.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Damo posted:

Lightsong was easily the best thing about an otherwise entirely forgettable work.

I guess Vasher/Nightblood was pretty cool too, and extra so in hindsight because of their appearance in Stormlight. The world and story of Warbreaker were weak as hell though.

Would you please point out the spoiler? I miss a lot of these things.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Smiling Knight posted:

Words of Radiance:
Szeth is given a magic talking sword that wants to destroy evil. Sound like any other magic talking swords you know of?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Also:
The weapons master that Kaladin works with has a lot of color-themed idioms.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was wondering what the deal was with that stuff, as it seemed completely out of left field, even more than the fact that Szeth is somehow brought back when the series kept hammering away at how a shardblade cutting the spinal cord is instant death. Kaladin healing his arm's injury kinda throws all that to the wind though since it's probably possible to revive people with a shitload of Stormlight right after they're injured. Barring any brain damage caused by lack of oxygen and such.

I figured the talking sword was just a shardblade that wasn't from an oathbreaker, and thus wasn't just a spren stuck in some horrific situation screaming in pain like the other shardblades are. Given the Stormfather's demands to Dalinar it seems that the blades people fight over are just eternally tortured/suffering spren left behind by the Knights abandoning their duty long ago anyways. :shrug:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Also:
The weapons master that Kaladin works with has a lot of color-themed idioms.

and knows a complicated game involving throwing stones

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was wondering what the deal was with that stuff, as it seemed completely out of left field, even more than the fact that Szeth is somehow brought back when the series kept hammering away at how a shardblade cutting the spinal cord is instant death. Kaladin healing his arm's injury kinda throws all that to the wind though since it's probably possible to revive people with a shitload of Stormlight right after they're injured. Barring any brain damage caused by lack of oxygen and such.

I figured the talking sword was just a shardblade that wasn't from an oathbreaker, and thus wasn't just a spren stuck in some horrific situation screaming in pain like the other shardblades are. Given the Stormfather's demands to Dalinar it seems that the blades people fight over are just eternally tortured/suffering spren left behind by the Knights abandoning their duty long ago anyways. :shrug:

According to Sanderson, Nightblood is essentially the same sort of entity as a Shardblade, created through different means and imbued with a twisted personality - all the magic in his cosmere books are different manifestations of the same fundamental thing, so they can overlap and interact. For example, Stormlight carries the same sort of fundamental energy as Breath, just shaped into a different sort of form, so people from the Warbreaker world who need Breath to survive (including Nightblood) have a considerably easier time on Roshar.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I just finished Elantris. I found it fine but dull. It had it's moments but for the most part I just plodded along. Certainly I can cut him some slack because it's his first published novel. I'm also not sure if it suffered because I listened to the audiobook and it had a lot of made up words and names, as well as being my first audiobook experience (I mainly listen to podcasts). I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy and the steampunk spinoff though. So where do I go from here? Jump into Stomrlight Archive? I kind of want to "save it" so maybe something else first?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xtanstic posted:

So I just finished Elantris. I found it fine but dull. It had it's moments but for the most part I just plodded along. Certainly I can cut him some slack because it's his first published novel. I'm also not sure if it suffered because I listened to the audiobook and it had a lot of made up words and names, as well as being my first audiobook experience (I mainly listen to podcasts). I really enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy and the steampunk spinoff though. So where do I go from here? Jump into Stomrlight Archive? I kind of want to "save it" so maybe something else first?

Warbreaker is his other "early" novel. It's worth a read if you're a completionist.

Otherwise, pick up these three:

Way of Kings (Stormlight 1)
Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)
The Emperor's Soul (novella)

Emperor's Soul is probably his best work. It's short, sweet, and very very good.

Stormlight just owns in general.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xtanstic posted:

You can get the Warbreaker e-book for free from his site, and the book is a nice read, though many people feel that his humor is at his worst in it. Reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive #2) is a good idea since a few characters from the former have a cameo in the latter. It's not obvious right now how important they are, but at least to me it seems as if the Stormligh Archive series will be the first time that stuff from other Cosmere books will be important to the story.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xtanstic posted:

So I just finished Elantris. I found it fine but dull. It had it's moments but for the most part I just plodded along. Certainly I can cut him some slack because it's his first published novel.
I had the same feeling as you.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Warbreaker is his other "early" novel. It's worth a read if you're a completionist.

Otherwise, pick up these three:

Way of Kings (Stormlight 1)
Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)
The Emperor's Soul (novella)

Emperor's Soul is probably his best work. It's short, sweet, and very very good.

Stormlight just owns in general.

It's worth noting that mistborn was written before Warbreaker.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its also worth noting that warbreaker exists purely as back story for the 'cameo' character(s).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Wolpertinger posted:

According to Sanderson, Nightblood is essentially the same sort of entity as a Shardblade, created through different means and imbued with a twisted personality - all the magic in his cosmere books are different manifestations of the same fundamental thing, so they can overlap and interact. For example, Stormlight carries the same sort of fundamental energy as Breath, just shaped into a different sort of form, so people from the Warbreaker world who need Breath to survive (including Nightblood) have a considerably easier time on Roshar.

Considering the abundance of stormlight, Nightblood is going to be a loving monster on this world. :stare:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Any clue what happened to Kal's parents?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

amuayse posted:

If Brandon's been reading from the the work in progress. We've had a preview of the prologue already but he cut off before Kaladin made it all the way back into Hearthstone

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

amuayse posted:

Whatever the most depressing outcome imaginable is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

socialsecurity posted:

Whatever the most depressing outcome imaginable is.

This is the only possible answer. Can't wait for another few (hundred) pages of Kal being whiny and depressed. Again. :yayclod:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Thyrork posted:

Considering the abundance of stormlight, Nightblood is going to be a loving monster on this world. :stare:

At some point in the series I can almost guarantee that Nightblood will get drawn during a Highstorm and go loving mental, and will probably be used to kill Odium or something very very powerful :black101:

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
So, I'm trying not to hit too many black bars, I've started to read Brandon Sanderson, pretty much devoured the Mistborn Trilogy and it's amazing, incredibly addicting, and after it I thought, well it can't really get much better right
And then I started reading the Stormlight Archives and :drat: :drat:

It's absolutely addicting is all I can say, I love it that every single character is so colorful and interesting and everything is shrouded in so many mysteries, the pacing is just perfect.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

theghostpt posted:

So, I'm trying not to hit too many black bars, I've started to read Brandon Sanderson, pretty much devoured the Mistborn Trilogy and it's amazing, incredibly addicting, and after it I thought, well it can't really get much better right
And then I started reading the Stormlight Archives and :drat: :drat:

It's absolutely addicting is all I can say, I love it that every single character is so colorful and interesting and everything is shrouded in so many mysteries, the pacing is just perfect.

Its a shame you've not read Warbreaker (i assume), the wham moment at the end of stormlight 2 is pure :magical:

'Tho i dont think everyone here feels the same. :shobon:

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is the only possible answer. Can't wait for another few (hundred) pages of Kal being whiny and depressed. Again. :yayclod:

Forgot to reply to this earlier, Considering its Sanderson, it could very well turn out that Kal's folks are same as always ... and he still ends up depressed about it. :geno:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 20, 2015

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I think that's potentially the most depressing. He hasn't ever been back home, has a slave mark, and kills people full time. And who knows how his parents reacted to their sons going to war?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kals dad will be disappointed he isn't in the healing branch of the KR

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

Kals dad will be disappointed he isn't in the healing branch of the KR

He's the stereotypical Asian dad. "Why you not doctor yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Why not both? Kal returns, tells his parents everything that's happened and his mother blames him for his brother's death while his father is utterly crushed that he's a warrior and not a healer. They have a huge fight and Kal leaves.

Then his parents are horribly killed by someone wanting revenge on Kal so he can blame himself for their deaths after having a huge fight where they were both totally disappointed and angry with him.