Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Got mine!

Apparently they were way short on units, so even though I preordered I was the last on the list!

Nekrews fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Having just completed the first 3 days I forgot:

a) how little there is to do as Deku Link only

and

b) how absurdly fast the clock moves when you haven't slowed it down.

I also grabbed around 250 rupees just from screwing around waiting for the clock tower to open :c00lbert:

Also the Moon looks super awesome and I'm really liking the little changes they made. The Bomber's Notebook actually remembers who I talked to on the first cycle now!

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 14, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think there are four heart pieces you can get in the first cycle. One from doing the night deku game all three nights, one from the couple, one in front of the tower door, and I don't remember the fourth one. You can also get a wallet upgrade and buy a bomb bag.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

axeil posted:

Having just completed the first 3 days I forgot:

a) how little there is to do as Deku Link only

and

b) how absurdly fast the clock moves when you haven't slowed it down.

I also grabbed around 250 rupees just from screwing around waiting for the clock tower to open :c00lbert:

Also the Moon looks super awesome and I'm really liking the little changes they made. The Bomber's Notebook actually remembers who I talked to on the first cycle now!

Yeah, it was nice to have the Deku Minigame and toilet guy already in the book after first cycle.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

greatn posted:

I think there are four heart pieces you can get in the first cycle. One from doing the night deku game all three nights, one from the couple, one in front of the tower door, and I don't remember the fourth one. You can also get a wallet upgrade and buy a bomb bag.

Which couple? There's a whole bunch.

Mr E posted:

Yeah, it was nice to have the Deku Minigame and toilet guy already in the book after first cycle.

:aaa: you can get the toilet guy on the first cycle?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Which couple? There's a whole bunch.

:aaa: you can get the toilet guy on the first cycle?

The loving couple. You can give the toilet guy the deed to the deku flower

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can get a fourth one from the Postman's minigame if you're crazy enough to do it without the bunny hood, and it's easy to get the wallet upgrade and the other three HPs in the first cycle with time left over.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The Song of Soaring is no longer at the end of the Swamp. Yesssss

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
:aaa: You choose how far to skip with the song of double time!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

PubicMice posted:

:aaa: You choose how far to skip with the song of double time!

Yeah, it's one of the best changes ever in a remake.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

All Zeldas should have a way to track which heart pieces you've gotten already. Or have some way to know which ones you haven't got (like that fortune teller in TP) I heard that the new bombers' notebook tracks the ones you got?

Did ALBW have something like this? I can't remember.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Question: can you get the heart piece from Honey and Darling if you play the last game as Deku Link instead of with the bow?

Blackheart posted:

All Zeldas should have a way to track which heart pieces you've gotten already. Or have some way to know which ones you haven't got (like that fortune teller in TP) I heard that the new bombers' notebook tracks the ones you got?

Did ALBW have something like this? I can't remember.

The new Bomber's notebook tracks everything heart pieces, NPC interactions, playing minigames, etc.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've been reading that Majora's Mask Iwata Asks interview. They mention near the beginning that they had originally planned for a full week, instead of just three days. In fact, all seven days are still present in the game! The extra days are obviously useless and/or broken, but the strings for each weekday name still exist in the leaked debug ROM.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

ColdPie posted:

I've been reading that Majora's Mask Iwata Asks interview. They mention near the beginning that they had originally planned for a full week, instead of just three days. In fact, all seven days are still present in the game! The extra days are obviously useless and/or broken, but the strings for each weekday name still exist in the leaked debug ROM.

Yeah. If you did a glitch to get to the third day without stopping the moon, you'd see that the moon was very far away from Termina. This is leftover code for when they planned it to be a week. It's really interesting.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I'm not fond of Odolwa's boss change. He was much easier in the original. I got the scent mask in the first run, so I'm not gonna worry about fighting him again though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah. If you did a glitch to get to the third day without stopping the moon, you'd see that the moon was very far away from Termina. This is leftover code for when they planned it to be a week. It's really interesting.
There's also apparently code for changing the direction and force of the wind... maybe the genesis of what eventually got incorporated into TWW.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Chaltab posted:

There's also apparently code for changing the direction and force of the wind... maybe the genesis of what eventually got incorporated into TWW.

That really makes me think of how much of a time constraint they were on for the game. I wonder what Majora's Mask would be like if they were given more time and funding for the production?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Alright, so I found the most bullshit change in the mm remake so far: playing the song of time and resetting back to the first day no longer saves the game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Obligatory Toast posted:

Alright, so I found the most bullshit change in the mm remake so far: playing the song of time and resetting back to the first day no longer saves the game.
We already knew that, but it is bullshit, yeah.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I hate how the new clock looks. I miss the goofy sundial thing :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

That really makes me think of how much of a time constraint they were on for the game. I wonder what Majora's Mask would be like if they were given more time and funding for the production?

It'd be a completely different game. The whole reason the game ended up like it did was because they needed to make a Zelda game in either 1 year or wait until the Gamecube came out. The Iwata Asks that came out the other day said that Miyamoto actually asked if they wanted more time as they were nearing completion and they all said no.

I don't think we would've gotten any of the things that make the game as strong as it is if they had taken 3+ years to make it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm really liking the small touches this has. The new pictures and posters scattered around really make the world feel more lively, the new Bomber's Notebook is really nice, and the new animations look great. I'm really impressed by the love that went into this remake.

Still, I'm apprehensive about the changes to the Goht fight and Zora swimming. The swimming especially, since they were like the only swimming controls I've ever found not just tolerable, but enjoyable.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

KingEffingFrost posted:

I hate how the new clock looks. I miss the goofy sundial thing :(

The clock is honestly the only thing in this remake that feels lazy to me. Just a lil bar? Come on now. That last six hour clock is great though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did anyone pick up the special guide book? Is it worth it? Mostly curious if it has alot of cool art or whatever in it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also this new bombers notebook garbage is really killing my like of this game, I heard you can disable it though dunno how...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did anyone pick up the special guide book? Is it worth it? Mostly curious if it has alot of cool art or whatever in it.

all the cool art that is in there, aside from the brand new cover is in the Hyrule Historia.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Chaltab posted:

The wind physics engine was actually in OoT as well, used for various flags on the overworld.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just beat Zelda 2. The path to the last temple and the last temple must be the hardest in any Zelda game. I can't imagine being a kid thinking I've almost beat the game and then encountering that last bit. If anyone is considering playing this game, I'd recommend waiting to get some of the extra lives on the overworld. Anybody who beat this game without save states is the true Hero of Hyrule. (I am not.)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Minor complaint regarding new Odolwa: they redesigned the entire fight but didn't give him any of his old animations, so now he makes all his cool noises while... standing completely still. Okay? It feels like the game is glitching out or something, like there's obviously something that should be linked to this very large audio cue but there just isn't, and it's lazy as hell. Also, I'm having some trouble with the camera not centering behind me after tapping L sometimes – occasionally you have to hold it down for a bit to make sure the camera actually follows you instead of snapping back to where it was before you pressed it, and it's definitely caused me to jump off a few ledges already. I assume that's something to do with how the camera controls on the New 3DS, but still a pain regardless. Enjoying everything so far though – honestly, the changes are pretty minimal, I just really love playing Majora's Mask.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Why were the fights redesigned?

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda annoyed at the slowdown while rolling around Termina Field, and there's been a bit of slowdown in temples where there's a lot of enemies around, but nothing too terrible I guess.

I'm sad I remember so much about this game because I would absolutely love to experience it for the first time, again. It's been at least 10 years since I played MM but nope I still remember it intimately, even where hidden silver rupees are so I'm never strapped for cash. Blah.
Also the two bosses I've fought so far (Odolwa, Goht) have been unbelievably easy. Probably hugely different for people who haven't seen them before though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why were the fights redesigned?

Gyorg at least was a massive pain in the rear end who could kill you in 4 hits with some of the worst hit detection.

Twinmold never really pulled off the giant gimmick particularly well with Twinmold either, that fight was asking for a redesign.

They can get hosed for messing with Goht though, don't fix what's not broken.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Heavy Lobster posted:

Also, I'm having some trouble with the camera not centering behind me after tapping L sometimes – occasionally you have to hold it down for a bit to make sure the camera actually follows you instead of snapping back to where it was before you pressed it, and it's definitely caused me to jump off a few ledges already. I assume that's something to do with how the camera controls on the New 3DS, but still a pain regardless.
Twilight Princess is doing this to me constantly, and I think it happened in my prior Wind Waker playthrough too. Maybe it's just part of how they programmed the free-camera controls?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently the inverted song if time now only cuts it to half speed instead of a third?

E: Amazing, there are people on /v/ complaining about how the moon crashed and now they have to start over :allears:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 14, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

They can get hosed for messing with Goht though, don't fix what's not broken.

What did they do to my favourite boss fight? :ohdear:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently once you've knocked Goht down you have to transform back to human and shoot arrows at a now vulnerable Majora eye weak spot.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you do a sweet goron ramp jump and hit him in the back he falls down, and a huge eye appears on his back which you can only hit by taking the goron mask off and hitting it with an arrow maybe 3 times, and then he gets back up and you go again. Sometimes you can knock him over on his side and can reach the eye without arrows so you can punch it as a goron, but there's no more knocking him over and wedging yourself between his legs and spiking his rear end to death

Not sure I like the 'every boss has a REALLY HUGE EYE HIT THE EYE DUMMY' thing Zelda's got goin on lately

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dog days are over posted:

When you do a sweet goron ramp jump and hit him in the back he falls down, and a huge eye appears on his back which you can only hit by taking the goron mask off and hitting it with an arrow maybe 3 times, and then he gets back up and you go again. Sometimes you can knock him over on his side and can reach the eye without arrows so you can punch it as a goron, but there's no more knocking him over and wedging yourself between his legs and spiking his rear end to death

Not sure I like the 'every boss has a REALLY HUGE EYE HIT THE EYE DUMMY' thing Zelda's got goin on lately

drat, that was my favourite part. Though some of them like Gyorg definitely needed a more obvious weak point.

gently caress Gyorg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
It's been a while since I've played MM64 so I don't really remember how the original fight went, but I just beat Odolwa and was extremely underwhelmed. He just sat there and let me kill him. Like I guess it would be frustrating trying to knock him down if he moved around too much, but he never attacked me. He sent one swarm of bugs at me and that was it.

• Locked thread