Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Well, I gave it a go...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Well, I gave it a go...

:aaaaa: That's just great. I think you've managed to capture the vibe from the game very well.

Sophism posted:

What that means is that I require two sprite sheets so I can have both sets of armor reflect on the character's appearance.

So here's the two versions of armor I'm thinking of going with. I tried to keep some elements from the skimpy original, to try to illustrate that the second version is an upgrade. I just need to settle on a design so that I can work on the more interesting animation cycles. I'm already afraid I made the armor too ornate for that Valis/Phantasy Star vibe.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the way the breastplate is moving though. I tried to make it look like a looser, secondary layer of metal, but it kind of looks like it's jiggling.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 10, 2015

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Sophism posted:

I'm not sure I'm happy with the way the breastplate is moving though. I tried to make it look like a looser, secondary layer of metal, but it kind of looks like it's jiggling.

I think part of the reason it looks off is that when the breastplate animates, it seems to swivel with her right shoulder and ignore her left. If it's loosely bound to the rest of the armor, you should consider where it's connected. Most likely it'd be resting on her shoulders so the whole thing might tilt up when she raises an arm but it wouldn't dip below where it's resting on the other shoulder. You may also be able to make it look a bit less jiggly by flattening the shading a bit to make the metal plates appear flatter.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

That looks so much better! So what it looks like to me is that you've grouped up the dithered pixels into aforementioned clusters, just so I'm understanding. It also looks like you did away with the outline, which I also think makes it look much better, but I was also wondering what situations that outline works in and when should I skip it?

For the most part you can do away with an outline if the thing you are outlining is just as thick, or nearly as thick as the outline itself. It's related to the whole 'banding' thing which a lot of pixel artists get huffy about. The way I see it, you want to 'break the grid' by not having identical strips of pixels right next to each other. This also relates to clustering.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Blood Dragon.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

palette good? haven't messed with something like this before

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could probably do away with the light yellow and just use the teal instead.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Blood Dragon.

Is good but needs more giant lasers.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Cool

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

sounds like he'd say unghh all the time

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Blood Dragon.
plus
minus :effort: =

Here's an idea for the thread: sprite mash ups.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I frikkin love that goofy face.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

plus

minus :effort: =

Here's an idea for the thread: sprite mash ups.

This made my night :D

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wanna get drunk and ride this thing.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I'm ready, spirit animal

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

Holy gently caress, that thing is magestic.

New big pillars for my super nintendo thing, which may be too detailed for the style but probably not

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Muh pixel daily...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Redid a base, is his head too big?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shoehead posted:

Redid a base, is his head too big?

The head is only too big if you feel like it is, if everyone looks the same then it won't even matter. That affords you the luxury of facial expressions without resorting to subpixel animating.

On another note I like the arms a lot more. Do you have a particular sprite you base your stuff off of or do you just freeball it?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Needed a break from working on the player character, so I decided to start creating some of the enemies. This one looks like it might be a nightmare to animate, but it only really has one idle cycle and a self-destruction animation. (Oh God making that bubble burst will take me a month. :gonk:)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I need the black outline. I tried some alternatives and didn't care for any of them that much. It still looks out of place for the small bubbles, at least in my eyes. My biggest issue right now is finding a way to make the orb in the middle look like it's half-submerged in the slime body, while the other half is within the larger, thinner bubble. I'm trying to keep it under 16 colors, and I'm currently at 13 counting the alpha.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 17, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

FraudulentEconomics posted:

The head is only too big if you feel like it is, if everyone looks the same then it won't even matter. That affords you the luxury of facial expressions without resorting to subpixel animating.

On another note I like the arms a lot more. Do you have a particular sprite you base your stuff off of or do you just freeball it?

I eyeball everything, to my loss TBH.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Shoehead posted:

How do you get the pixels into the syringe? :v:

quote:

This looks great, although I wonder if it's bouncing a little too much. I feel like the legs aren't straightening enough to produce such an exaggerated lift in the rest of the body. (I could be wrong, though!)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did anyone here get involved with the Pixel-Logic Indiegogo campaign at the tail end of last year? I've been looking into making my own stuff for some game development I do as a hobby and I'm curious how it was received here.

On a related note, is there an ongoing gamedev forum or thread? I don't hang out here too often and I haven't been able to locate one so far.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Warbird posted:

On a related note, is there an ongoing gamedev forum or thread? I don't hang out here too often and I haven't been able to locate one so far.

Yup, there's a thread, and it's right here.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Must have cruised right past that one and not noticed. Thanks man.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Shoehead posted:

The green arm looks like its too long to me. Otherwise I like it, even though the other one as a placeholder looked like some sort of silly legoman.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jyrraeth posted:

The green arm looks like its too long to me. Otherwise I like it, even though the other one as a placeholder looked like some sort of silly legoman.

It definitely is!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2015

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

It definitely is!

Holy crap that shark. Whoa.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I've been thinking about what's been bugging me about these, and I think it's the stiff, upright torso.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

poemdexter posted:

Holy crap that shark. Whoa.

He's gonna kick butt eventually!

Edit: Oh yeah I should post these

wayfinder posted:

I've been thinking about what's been bugging me about these, and I think it's the stiff, upright torso.

Yeah I gotta add some sort of squish or swing to it

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Blast from the 6 month past.

Are you going to revisit all the animations Shoehead?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

poemdexter posted:

Blast from the 6 month past.

Are you going to revisit all the animations Shoehead?

Well yeah I'll have to if the sprites are bigger :v: probably in my spare time in between my regular job and the kickstarter stuff.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm glad he's gotten bigger so you can see his sharkiness more, you kinda lost that in the smallest one.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Fellow goon and rad animator DicktheCat did the wireframe/colorblocking - I did the detailing. Longest animation in the game. Wheeew.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm pretty happy with the movement atm but I'm thinking the purple leg needs to be pushed out farther

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think the problem with the purple leg is the lower leg/calf/foot looks backwards or twisted, and I can't quite figure out where the knee is supposed to be. If I'm reading the red leg correctly I think the calves are slightly too short compared to the thighs.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gaspy Conana posted:

Fellow goon and rad animator DicktheCat did the wireframe/colorblocking - I did the detailing. Longest animation in the game. Wheeew.

Seeing this makes me wonder why more traditional animation grads don't make games instead of short films. Their talents would probably reach a wider audience and they can still be as crazy as they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

the clown dosn't look like it's tripping at all