Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil is one of the best loving movies I have ever seen

HEY COLLEGE KIDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

HEY COLLEGE KIDS

BRING IT FRAT BITCH

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WE GOT YOUR FRIEND

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

BRING IT FRAT BITCH

HNNNNGGGGGGG I love breaking in frat guys

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. My wife just got back from her best friend's place. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant, and her friend is 20 weeks pregnant. They've been talking about how cool it's going to be to have kids the same age and they'll be the best of friends etc.

My wife's best friend was told yesterday that her baby has spina bifida, kidney and lung failure, heart abnormality and will almost certainly have severe brain abnormalities. They're going in on Monday to, gently caress, I actually dunno what they're going to do. Operate? Induce? Dunno.

Has someone mocked up a fuck2015.gif yet? Pretend I linked it here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've mentioned several times that i've been wanting to get rid of all of the cable boxes - I'd be saving about $40-50/month by doing so. I already have two HDHomeRun Prime boxes with cable cards (one purchased new, one purchased from the pimper of meat), each of which have 3 tuners each, so that's up to 6 streams on the network.

Stepdad and I have been discussing picking up an old off-lease PC for awhile. It finally happened today; we snagged an off-lease refurb HP DC7700 (small form factor desktop) from Micro Center (actually the last DC7700 they had in the country, they took it off their website after I picked it up), complete with a Windows 7 Professional COA. It's a lower optioned model; 80GB HDD, C2D 1.86 GHz, 2GB RAM. They could be had with as low as a P4 HT w/1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD w/XP, or as high as a C2D 2.67 w/4GB and a 250GB HDD with separate video and Vista Pro. This particular one has the PCI riser that lets you use two full size PCI cards, but blocks the PCI Express slots. It's easy to remove the riser, but you need a new back panel to properly bolt in half height PCI Express cards (turns out the panel is nearly $100 by itself - which is what the entire PC w/keyboard and mouse cost). The Win7 COA states it's a "refurbisher" COA, and the original Vista COA has a big stamp on it stating "NO LONGER VALID".

Holy mother of gently caress is it slow; I blame it on the 80GB HDD and Win7 Pro; it's swapping nonstop, and a drive that size is going to have very low density, and thus, pretty lovely transfer rates (despite being SATA). I have an old Dell P4 2.4 with 2GB RAM and a 38GB Raptor that runs circles around it, also with Win7, serving the exact same purpose. 4 x 1GB DDR2 off brand sticks on Amazon will run less than $30 (the same brand I have in the Dell - Komputerbay).

I never thought I'd say this about an HP, but I'm really impressed with how it's put together - you can even find complete service manuals on their website for it (52 page "quick spec" PDF, 4 or 5 page listing of just part numbers and diagrams, service manuals, owner manuals, etc). The only thing you need a screwdriver for is removing the hard drive (and it's gotta be a funky angled screwdriver) - massive difference between their enterprise and consumer stuff. It's going to serve solely as a TV tuner+DVR, so a cheap drive, a Geforce 210, and a little more RAM should have it working pretty well. There's a Goodwill electronics store nearby, and they generally have DDR2 RAM (the stickler with this is it only accepts up to 1GB sticks, but has 4 slots) and a decent selection of both IDE and smaller SATA drives. A geforce 210 will only run about $20-25. I found the C2D 2.67 GHz chip on Amazon for :20bux: if I feel like giving it a bit more oomph a bit further down the line (it's a direct swap). I may just slap my other Raptor drive in it and call it a day, I just don't want to lose the stock recovery partition. The onboard video is decent enough to handle live TV, but it only does VGA out - the TV it'll be connected to has a VGA input, but you're limited to pretty much basic cable without DVI or HDMI.

Opening that thing up just made me ashamed of how difficult it is to do any physical work in my own PC.

cursedshitbox posted:

HNNNNGGGGGGG I love breaking in frat guys

:hfive:

Memento posted:

My wife's best friend was told yesterday that her baby has spina bifida, kidney and lung failure, heart abnormality and will almost certainly have severe brain abnormalities. They're going in on Monday to, gently caress, I actually dunno what they're going to do. Operate? Induce? Dunno.

:cripes:

If that kid even makes it to birth, he/she doesn't have a very long life ahead of them. And definitely not pleasant. Sorry man. :smith:

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Havent even got a call back in 2 months for a new job. gently caress 2015 so hard

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

My medication for life is liquor.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4883777489.html

I want this thing so loving bad.

Its hideous!. Do it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I used to always love getting mail.

Not these days.

They're about a year late; they normally hit me every 3 years, it's been 4 years this time. I still have my student ID from UNT (they never expire, and don't get date stickers), so in theory I could pull the "I'm a full time student" excuse and show my ID - but a late 30s guy pulling that might raise some eyebrows.

ProtectMyID.com finally called me to let me know they thought my identity may have been compromised.... 3 months and 1 week after it took place, and a month and a half after I sent them a scathing email about their CSR refusing to even open a case when I tried to report the ID theft. :argh: To the credit of the person I dealt with today, they found two credit inquiries from Chase that I had missed, and I had an email confirmation from Equifax within 2 hours stating they'd deleted the inquiries (ProtectMyID is owned by Equifax). They also mentioned a few people to notify that I hadn't thought of - Chexsystems in particular is one I never thought to notify.

Funny part is, my free membership expired a week ago; it was paid for courtesy of Target, after their security breach. I did 99% of the legwork that they were supposed to do though, and the combination of Credit Karma and Credit Sesame caught most of it long before ProtectMyID did (within a few days, instead of months later).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

some texas redneck posted:

:cripes:

If that kid even makes it to birth, he/she doesn't have a very long life ahead of them. And definitely not pleasant. Sorry man. :smith:

Yeah, we know. Everyone who knows about it knows that when she comes home on Monday night she won't be pregnant. It just loving sucks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Kingsman is a bloody good movie. 50 Shades of whatever got booed big time when a trailer came on.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Cat Terrist posted:

Kingsman is a bloody good movie. 50 Shades of whatever got booed big time when a trailer came on.

I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Great mix of action and comedy, whole theater got into it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That's the weirdest description of 50 shades I've seen in a while...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

My father after getting some tires fixed on his rig (company truck mind you) has decided that retorques cost entirely too much (company should be paying for that but he insists on paying his own tire bills) and that he absolutely MUST have a 3/4" torque wrench (company has one at the shop that he could use, but nope he's gotta have his own). So now it's my job to acquire a $1200 tool that he doesn't need and he's called me about it 6 times since 6pm yesterday (one of which woke me up at 6:30 this morning).
I loving FIX TRUCKS FOR A LIVING AND WOULD NEVER CONSIDER PURCHASING MY OWN 3/4" DRIVE TOOLS WHY THE gently caress DOES A DRIVER NEED ONE?!

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 14, 2015

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
You know, just in case.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm having a real problem deciding between a Scat Pack Challenger and a base C7 right now, since my lease on my RT is up. They aren't really cross-shopped cars often, but it's basically a difference between fulfilling a dream of owning a Corvette pre-40 and getting a ridiculous deal on a really powerful car (that can fit 4 people comfortably!) that's going to be relatively rare in the future.

Other things I found out is that insurance for the Vette is more than 100 a month cheaper than the Challenger, which would be near making up for the price difference.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

cursedshitbox posted:

My medication for life is liquor.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4883777489.html

I want this thing so loving bad.

A bastard bus with wiring issues. It's like a match made in heaven for you.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Unless you need the extra space, Corvette IMO.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Memento posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. My wife just got back from her best friend's place. My wife is 14 weeks pregnant, and her friend is 20 weeks pregnant. They've been talking about how cool it's going to be to have kids the same age and they'll be the best of friends etc.

Has someone mocked up a fuck2015.gif yet? Pretend I linked it here.

That is so heartbreaking :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Ah poo poo I am looking at 8th gen civic si's/late model RSX-S's again. Cant get that VTEC sound out of my heart. Si sedan is a pretty practical car! (vroooomm bloortt)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I'm at the local mazda dealer to have some warranty work done. It shares a waiting area with the local mopar dealer.
It is amazing how you can easily tell who is here for what dealer.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Darko posted:

I'm having a real problem deciding between a Scat Pack Challenger and a base C7 right now, since my lease on my RT is up. They aren't really cross-shopped cars often, but it's basically a difference between fulfilling a dream of owning a Corvette pre-40 and getting a ridiculous deal on a really powerful car (that can fit 4 people comfortably!) that's going to be relatively rare in the future.

Other things I found out is that insurance for the Vette is more than 100 a month cheaper than the Challenger, which would be near making up for the price difference.

C7 all the way.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Well after the false alarm yesterday morning my wife went into labor last night. Cal was born this morning healthy and happy and now he's napping on my lap while I forum post :)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Congratulations dude!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Congratulations, sorry for the loss of all of your upcoming sleeps.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Congrats!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Mat_Drinks posted:

Well after the false alarm yesterday morning my wife went into labor last night. Cal was born this morning healthy and happy and now he's napping on my lap while I forum post :)

Nice work! It's fun when they're that little. You feel like your holding them to keep them from floating away. Second baby was a much easier delivery than the first, but my wife made the first one look pretty easy. 1 1/2 contractions worth of pushing and the little guy was here. :3:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mat_Drinks posted:

Awesome dude, congratulations :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Glad everything went smooth, congrats again.

Eliminated the points ignition on the 320i with a optical ignition system. Things starts right up and idles so much better, well worth the ~30 minutes it took to install. Now I need to read into adjusting timing and stuff because apparently it's easy as hell and a good way to make some power on these engines as long as you're smart about it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sitting at home watching Heroes by myself. Happy V day everyone.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sitting at home watching Heroes by myself. Happy V day everyone.

Replace "watching Heroes" with "playing The Crew" and i'm right there with ya :hfive:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

Replace "watching Heroes" with "playing The Crew" and i'm right there with ya :hfive:

I'm listening to records and cleaning the house.

Also need to go buy carb cleaner and work on the lawnmower, but I'm in my Tony Stewart pajama shorts and a sleeveless hash run t shirt, so I don't know if I want to look that red neck because gently caress if I'm changing clothes.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I'm calling my insurance company about an FA5 civic si argh

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The day of the year I'm most happy to be single. Spent the day tool shopping (well, mostly shopping for that torque wrench but I picked up some punches and chisels and stuff for myself) and making arrangements to look at a possibly-pretty-cool-new-to-me car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm calling my insurance company about an FA5 civic si argh

Is that the bulbous mini van one?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Is that the bulbous mini van one?

Not sure if you consider this bulbous or mini-van like..

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wifey and I are doing relationship tests.

buying and assembling Ikea furniture.

I turned it into a drinking game.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit ^^^I wonder how much different that experience is for two guys, cause I can't even tape a box up if my wife is in the room without it becoming a fight

PaintVagrant posted:

Not sure if you consider this bulbous or mini-van like..

Nah, I thought it may have been the early 2000s one. Those are seemingly decent aside from that goddamn dashboard layout. That digital speedo up high makes it so I could never own one. Although I do use them often in traffic to check my speed when splitting.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Wifey and I are doing relationship tests.

buying and assembling Ikea furniture.

I turned it into a drinking game.

Usually one of us just leaves the room.

I need to tool shop. I could use some chiseled and punches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah, I thought it may have been the early 2000s one. Those are seemingly decent aside from that goddamn dashboard layout. That digital speedo up high makes it so I could never own one. Although I do use them often in traffic to check my speed when splitting.

Yeah the dash is an acquired taste, I have a non-si 2008 and its really grown on me. I like the simplicity of it, there isn't a zillion buttons and other distracting BS. Its nice to have the tach central too imo.

• Locked thread