Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

So I just finished watching the 40 minutes of The Slap that I remembered on a whim to record. Anyone else catch it?

I wanted to see exactly what the dumb thing would be, and it turned out to be even more nakedly manipulative than I first thought! I thought it was going to just be something that attempted to provoke a "is it ok to smack a bratty kid" debate, but it turns out that everyone is a total piece of poo poo, everyone. So it's what I thought, but with that added twist that whether you think slapping the total shithead kid was ok for the total shithead adult to do, you're forced to confront that everyone is human garbage whether you agree with their opinion or not. I presume it just continues building upon that in increasingly stupid and hyperbolic ways. It was interesting to see just how hackish and farcical the writing was trying to establish that dynamic, just to see how terrifically bad the whole thing was. Characters acted in the most unlikable way possible short of putting on klan hoods and kicking puppies.

I can only imagine how stupid it will continue to be, because I don't intend to watch any more of it, but it exceeded my expectations of it being terrible and manipulative.

I sound down on it, which is because it's hilariously awful manipulative pap, but it's really worth seeing.

Well I mean, it is based on a TV show from Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sleeveless posted:

I love it because people rationalizing how child abuse is totally cool because their parents hit them and they didn't become an axe murderer is always funny, and unlike anti-vaxers them being gross idiots doesn't hurt me.

You clearly haven't seen it. That's what you think it might be if you only know of it. But the beauty of the show is that, as I said, everyone is a total piece of poo poo, and it's not a small cast. The slapee and the slapper and everyone surrounding them are very very meticulously written to be human garbage and deserve the ire of every possible side of this bullshit "debate" the show seeks to create over slapping the kid. It seriously is a work of art in how manipulative it is. Don't let your personal bias enter into it, that's what they're going for - watch this dumpster fire of television for the hilariously cynical thing that it is.

The whole thing is designed to take your personal bias and subvert it, for lack of a better term; if you think slapping a kid is totally off limits, it caters to that, if you think slapping a kid that is out of line is ok, it caters to that; it's worth seeing for that, because it's so loving cynical of a network to do something like this. I don't know where it ultimately goes, of course, but see the first episode for the sake of seeing what network tv has been reduced to doing to generate conversation. It's hilarious.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 14, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IRQ posted:

The whole thing is designed to take your personal bias and subvert it, for lack of a better term; if you think slapping a kid is totally off limits, it caters to that, if you think slapping a kid that is out of line is ok, it caters to that; it's worth seeing for that, because it's so loving cynical of a network to do something like this. I don't know where it ultimately goes, of course, but see the first episode for the sake of seeing what network tv has been reduced to doing to generate conversation. It's hilarious.

It was so much more bearable than I'd have thought, just from this exact kind of fascination of what the a piece of trash this is gonna be. I like the scenes where Hector stares contemplatively out the window as if musing about the disaster that is to come.

All like 4 of them

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family is Fucked Up.

I don't even know how to feel about it; it's just so singularly loving bizarre that it defies description, and I can't help but admire it for that.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 14, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

Elementary has become one of my favorite shows. Most episodes are just your crime-of-the-week cases, but underneath it all you have some of the most natural and nuanced character development/growth on TV, including an absolutely fantastic look at addiction and rehabilitation from Miller's Sherlock. The result is that you have a fun, light-hearted show that is then punctuated by just a couple of really powerful emotional moments that actually have some weight to them and feel real because you've watched the characters slowly develop rather than have some kind of revelation during the token character growth episode like a lot of other shows would have.

Basically show's great, everyone should at least check it out over a weekend whenever they inevitably run out of TV to watch during one of the dead periods.
Just have to say, I just finished the Kitty Winter arc in season 3 and man that was amazing, just absolutely well written and performed all around when it came to the three of them.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
:stare::stare::stare:
I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story. It has no functional understanding of how the presidency or spycraft or politics actually work, and the result is glorious nonsense.
It is really frustrating though whenever it goes into the FORBIDDEN LOVE bullshit, which just creeps me out because it's such a dysfunctional, borderline abusive relationship.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I stopped watching Elementary when they shoe horned in a Joan/Mycroft romance. Is that over? Because boy was it out of nowhere and bad.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

I stopped watching Elementary when they shoe horned in a Joan/Mycroft romance. Is that over? Because boy was it out of nowhere and bad.

It features in like two episodes and was disposed of in the second.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

I love it because people rationalizing how child abuse is totally cool because their parents hit them and they didn't become an axe murderer is always funny, and unlike anti-vaxers them being gross idiots doesn't hurt me.

Slapping/Spanking a unruly child is not abuse and calling it abuse is a slap in the face to every child who has actually been abused.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Irish Joe posted:

Slapping/Spanking a unruly child is not abuse and calling it abuse is a slap in the face to every child who has actually been abused.

Well they're used to it, so they won't mind

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz posted:

They have a multi-part episode dealing with it where things get a bit cheesy IIRC, but yeah he goes away. For what it's worth, they use that to potentially set something up long term(kind of hard to tell because they've sort of dropped it and haven't brought it up once in Season 3 so far) and it ultimately becomes about Sherlock repairing his relationship with Mycroft. It's definitely worth pushing through if you're otherwise enjoying the show because season 3 has been great so far.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe not in medieval lands, but in America it's akin to decades of ritual abuse. Shades of gray are not our specialty. Where's the outage in nuance?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatula City posted:

I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story.

I found s3 had a slight slump but it recovered well. I love the bonkers nature of the show but haven't had time to watch more than the first episode or two of s4... Anyone got feedback on whether its stayed just as entertaining?

I need to give How to Get Away With Murder more time too, it seemed alright for the first 4 or 5 episodes, but I know Scandal needed more time than that to settle into full on batshit crazy territory.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spatula City posted:

I'm in the middle of season 3 of Scandal. I could not possibly defend this show as great, but it's bananas insane in a way I haven't seen before, except for maybe in American Horror Story. It has no functional understanding of how the presidency or spycraft or politics actually work, and the result is glorious nonsense.
It is really frustrating though whenever it goes into the FORBIDDEN LOVE bullshit, which just creeps me out because it's such a dysfunctional, borderline abusive relationship.

Think of the love story less as a love story and more as drug addiction. Even Shonda Rhimes has said it's not supposed to be a healthy, rootable relationship, and the only reason it plays like one is we're in Olivia's POV, where she can't help but go askew over this one thing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I've only seen Youtube snippets and the NBC 30th(?) special, but seeing a whole episode puts its influence in a whole new perspective.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

VDay posted:

They have a multi-part episode dealing with it where things get a bit cheesy IIRC, but yeah he goes away. For what it's worth, they use that to potentially set something up long term(kind of hard to tell because they've sort of dropped it and haven't brought it up once in Season 3 so far) and it ultimately becomes about Sherlock repairing his relationship with Mycroft. It's definitely worth pushing through if you're otherwise enjoying the show because season 3 has been great so far.

Yeah I think the writers got the hint of how much literally everyone hated Joan/Mycroft and moved on from it. Just catch up on the last couple of eps of S2, it has important character development, you'll have to power through, though, and get into S3, it's been really great so far and this last episode was maybe the best of the season, which is saying a lot.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can't find The Rockford Files thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Igor Strelkov posted:

I can't find The Rockford Files thread

Was there ever one? It comes on at noon every day on MeTV and I think I've seen the entire series by now after watching for a few months. Rockford loving owns.

I've heard James Garner's character in Maverick is similar, but I've never seen it before, only the movie with Mel Gibson. How does that compare?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Think of the love story less as a love story and more as drug addiction. Even Shonda Rhimes has said it's not supposed to be a healthy, rootable relationship, and the only reason it plays like one is we're in Olivia's POV, where she can't help but go askew over this one thing.

It's pretty frustrating, though, because Olivia has the potential to be a hyper-competent badass, but Fitz has just completely hosed that up. And he's an emotionally manipulative spoiled little boy. Last episode I watched, Evil Papa Pope brutally eviscerated him (verbally, not literally, though I'm sure he would've if he could've), explaining just how much of a spoiled, entitled, pathetic little poo poo Fitz was. It was magical, and Joe Morton deserves all of the awards for it.
Every time Olivia starts to do the smart thing and try to disentangle herself from Fitz, he abuses his power as president to force her to meet him, and then, yet again, emotionally manipulates her into sex. This is beyond hosed. Fitz is Scandal's real monster. And he just keeps getting away with it.
The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth. And of course by being part of a political party that somehow seems to cluster the most virulent strains of essentialism within it.
Even Sally Langston, who is insane, would've been a better president than Fitz. FOR THAT MATTER, Reston, who also murdered someone, would have been better.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

This is one beautiful post :swoon:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spatula City posted:

The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth.

You should catch up, because as of the latest episode Mellie is officially on course to become the next President (which we have all been rooting for from the beginning).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

There are levels of abuse, and slapping/spanking is usually low on the scale. But it kind of depends on the parent and how much force is applied. One interesting thing I learned in a Psychology class was that corporal punishment tends to be healthier with black families (but there are definitely exceptions), because the force applied is less, it isn't done in anger quite as often, and black parents don't feel guilty about it. On the other hand, it tends to be more damaging in white families because the parents feel deeply guilty about it, and tend to do it when they're angry, both factors that lead to more intense force being applied. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but more of a general tendency. What I take away from it, though, is that among the white majority in the US, corporal punishment is executed poorly. It's basic common sense not to hit a child when you are in a rage. But that tends to be when slapping and spanking happens. It doesn't come off to the children as necessary correction. It comes off as MOMMY/DADDY IS HURTING ME.
Not to mention, also, that behaviorist psychologists have done a ton of research proving that reward is vastly more effective than punishment, and physical punishment often has the opposite of the desired effect. So even light physical punishment should be used far less frequently than it is currently. Authoritarian parents have an unscientific conviction in the effectiveness of hurting their children as a behavioral corrective, not unlike people's conviction that torture GETS RESULTS DAMMIT.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Spatula City posted:

It's pretty frustrating, though, because Olivia has the potential to be a hyper-competent badass, but Fitz has just completely hosed that up. And he's an emotionally manipulative spoiled little boy. Last episode I watched, Evil Papa Pope brutally eviscerated him (verbally, not literally, though I'm sure he would've if he could've), explaining just how much of a spoiled, entitled, pathetic little poo poo Fitz was. It was magical, and Joe Morton deserves all of the awards for it.
Every time Olivia starts to do the smart thing and try to disentangle herself from Fitz, he abuses his power as president to force her to meet him, and then, yet again, emotionally manipulates her into sex. This is beyond hosed. Fitz is Scandal's real monster. And he just keeps getting away with it.
The other frustrating thing is that Fitz's two closest advisers would both be far better presidents. Cyrus and Mellie are both monstrous, but they're at least adults, and aware of their own hosed-upped-ness. But I suppose that's purposeful, because Shonda Rhimes is trying to make a Big Statement about how loving awful the world is about who they'll accept as leaders. Give them a rich handsome white guy, and practically nothing else matters. But brilliant, strong-willed people like Mellie and Cyrus are relegated to behind-the-scenes operators purely by accidents of their birth. And of course by being part of a political party that somehow seems to cluster the most virulent strains of essentialism within it.
Even Sally Langston, who is insane, would've been a better president than Fitz. FOR THAT MATTER, Reston, who also murdered someone, would have been better.

I don't know if I'd agree that a Langston administration would be better than Fitz's, but I see what you're saying. Part of what season 2 was getting at was that the point of Fitz isn't to be a president, but rather to be a sockpuppet for guys like Cyrus, Mellie, and Hollis Doyle. However -- and I say this at the risk of absolving him, which I certainly don't mean to do -- various factors have conspired to stunt his emotional age, leaving him to be more like the kind of pissy little spoiled teenager who thinks a band like Linkin Park "gets it," you know? Therefore, an inordinate amount of Mellie, Cyrus, and even Olivia's work revolves around getting Fitz's head screwed the gently caress straight and convincing him that he's really the great man he's supposed to be, that way he can do the work they want him to do. Sally or Reston wouldn't bring that baggage to the table; they're natural leaders. Fitz has to fake it as best as he can with the help of the people around him, and that doesn't always work out.

The show's going to get more absurd as you progress through, and Fitz and Olivia are always going to be An Issue, but I think you'll be intrigued with how they resolve the third season.

If nothing else? Believe it or not, you haven't even BEGUN to see Smokin' Joe Morton chew the scenery.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 14, 2015

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Mo0 posted:

Dinner with Family with Brett Gelman and Brett Gelman's Family is Fucked Up.

I don't even know how to feel about it; it's just so singularly loving bizarre that it defies description, and I can't help but admire it for that.

Second this: it's brilliant and everyone should watch it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"Good luck, Brett. I love you."

*BANG*

(credits roll)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Thirding the praise on this Brett Gelman special :stonk:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

raditts posted:

Was there ever one? It comes on at noon every day on MeTV and I think I've seen the entire series by now after watching for a few months. Rockford loving owns.

I've heard James Garner's character in Maverick is similar, but I've never seen it before, only the movie with Mel Gibson. How does that compare?

It's so awesome. I've been watching it on netflix. The malaise 70s setting really matches our contemporary political and economic climate. Rockford solving crimes without blasting everyone or using magic powers is really refreshing.

Maverick is a really similar show, I'd say it's a bit campier, but Rockford Files was supposed to be Maverick in the present day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first episode of Danger 5. Not sure what to think about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Danger 5 is the perfect television series. I will brook no disagreement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Christ, this new Dinner With Family is really something :staredog:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Did anyone finish Red Band Society? Does it end on a cliffhanger? If so, I'm not going to bother finishing it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Igor Strelkov posted:

It's so awesome. I've been watching it on netflix. The malaise 70s setting really matches our contemporary political and economic climate. Rockford solving crimes without blasting everyone or using magic powers is really refreshing.

Maverick is a really similar show, I'd say it's a bit campier, but Rockford Files was supposed to be Maverick in the present day.

70s detective shows are so awesome and Rockford Files is a cut above them all. It has one of the best theme songs too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

savinhill posted:

70s detective shows are so awesome and Rockford Files is a cut above them all. It has one of the best theme songs too.

It's one of the few shows where I never fast forward through the intro. That song just sticks in your head.

I think Angel is my second favorite character on the show. He's just such a duplicitous self-serving little poo poo, you can't help but admire him for it.

My single favorite moment of the series though, is the one episode where Rockford tracks the villain of the week to the Hoover Dam, resulting in a 5 minute chase scene going down to the base of the dam, where he catches the guy just because he was the first to get too winded to run any more. That bit encapsulated the series as a whole so perfectly.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 15, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Stopped watching Sparticus half way thorough season 3. Is the rest worth catching up on?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you got bored in season 3 then no you won't like the rest. Never seen that happen. People either stop after the first couple episodes or love the rest of the show.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think I just went on vacation and completely forgot about it forever, I really liked season 1 and 2
\

so it doesnt drop off?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 15, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
And you think Rockford Files is cool
But there are some things
that you would change
if it were up to you
So think about your masterpiece
Watch the Rockford Files
Call to see if Paul can score some weed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you ever wanted to see famous Roman generals get rear end raped?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hell I'd like to see any man rear end raped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow...

• Locked thread