Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you keep an eye out for used ones, there are quite a few that come up with a WRX 5-speed swapped in. Some are nests of PO fuckery, but some are done by mechanics that have done a lot of them.

edit: Or depending on how mechanically confident you are, you could do the swap yourself. It's well-documented. I never did it, but the main thing I remember is that you do have to shorten the driveshaft by like a quarter inch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
So guy is an hour and a half late, turns up without a jack and now wants his mechanic friend to take it up on a lift so he can figure out if it really does have only 150,000 km on the chassis.

Told him I'm not interested in selling to him anymore.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

slidebite posted:

I want $1500 off because of this hole I put through the floorboards!! :saddowns:

Good luck selling the SVX, I've always wanted one but the tranny issues in particular have always scared me. Too bad they never offered them with a factory stick.

I have two, both AWD with 4.44 swaps, decaying in the back of my driveway. :sigh: I need to sell them, but can't bring myself to do it yet. Also, there's the whole "dealing with shitheads off Craigslist" thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

1500quidporsche posted:

So guy is an hour and a half late, turns up without a jack and now wants his mechanic friend to take it up on a lift so he can figure out if it really does have only 150,000 km on the chassis.

Told him I'm not interested in selling to him anymore.
Sounds like quite the tire kicker. I'd still sell it to him but tell him it's $xxxx and that's it. No more inspections or wasting time. Take it or leave it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 14, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: god dammit

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

slidebite posted:

Sounds like quite the tire kicker. I'd still sell it to him but tell him it's $xxxx and that's it. No more inspections or wasting time. Take it or leave it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1994-subaru-svx/1050290093?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
:sigh:

Yeah I straight up told him I'm fine with it being jacked up, we aren't bringing it to his friend's garage. He then started acting like he was doing me a favor as "this is a good guy to know"

Also congrats on finding my ad. No clue if that's priced correctly or not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: I think your price is reasonable and the car looks pretty drat good other than the scrape.

Send him to this guy:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/fort-mcmurray/1992-subaru-svx-coupe-2-door/1029977969?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

A great car , Subarus first grand touring 4x4 sports car and it gets 30 mpg. smooth , powerful , awesome stereo , new brakes etc.
I have a replacement transmition for it as the current one is starting to slip. And it has a couple dents and scratches. That is why the price is so low. There is one for sale out east for $25,000. This one is worth $8,000 or more .
PRICED SO LOW

Includes a single mystery photo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
My transmition isn't slipping so I can only imagine what mine is worth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

At least $25K

And dammit, why do I want this?

Single seat mini truck

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/diahatsu-midget/1047717861?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Only registered members can see post attachments!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

slidebite posted:

e: I think your price is reasonable and the car looks pretty drat good other than the scrape.

Send him to this guy:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/fort-mcmurray/1992-subaru-svx-coupe-2-door/1029977969?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

PRICED SO LOW

Includes a single mystery photo

Hah, 30mpg. I've got an ej22 that just barely scrapes 27-28 doing 60-70 on the highway. Somehow I don't think adding two more cylinders is going to get that number up to 30. Unless you use imperial gallons rather than US. And I know you guys get car cancer worse than we do, but I've seen near-perfect examples with <50k miles on them going for 8k in the past couple years.

I know, that ad is fish in a barrel, but it's just so ridiculous.

edit: Is that snow on the seat, or is half of the leather missing?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Advent Horizon posted:

The last line tells the real story...There are no roads to Ketchikan, or even anywhere near Ketchikan.

http://juneau.craigslist.org/cto/4883102929.html

I was sorely tempted to buy plane tickets and bring only tools, a comealong, a chainsaw, and a portapower in my carryon and find my way to the closest road with it, then looked at google maps and it is on a loving island. An island with no roads. Not just a place with no roads.

Dammit!

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4887866977.html

I'm really digging this thing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
30 mpg is the new 500 horsepower. EVERYTHING on CL et al gets 30 mpg.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Snow on the seat, and broken glass outside of the car.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So judging by where it's parked, someone drove it into a snow bank, got stuck, the snow was too deep to get the door open, so they smashed open the passenger side window. If there was an exhaust leak into the cabin while they were trying to figure out how to get out, that would explain the price.

edit: Also 99% the SVX never came in yellow. At least, I have never seen one, and those have been my japanese-italian flipperbaby dream car since I was 15.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 14, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hah, 30mpg. I've got an ej22 that just barely scrapes 27-28 doing 60-70 on the highway. Somehow I don't think adding two more cylinders is going to get that number up to 30. Unless you use imperial gallons rather than US. And I know you guys get car cancer worse than we do, but I've seen near-perfect examples with <50k miles on them going for 8k in the past couple years.

I know, that ad is fish in a barrel, but it's just so ridiculous.

Cancer isn't really that bad in Alberta as long as the vehicles are maintained and kept clean, nothing like the midwest or Ontario at least. The southern part of the province has tons of old classic poo poo still that have original bodies because it's so dry.

That guy is just on glue. He's also in Ft Mac which is its own special unicorn of a city in many ways. Ones in much better shape come up from time to time. 1500q is a good example, he's asking under $4K and it has less than 100K miles and looks to be in really good shape, other than the body issue.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

K so I'm looking at that LS400 tomorrow. Aside from Toyota rust, what should I be looking for on these? Despite owning a Toyota for several years I'm far more ignorant about them (especially the '90s RWD stuff) than I'd like to admit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

slidebite posted:

Cancer isn't really that bad in Alberta as long as the vehicles are maintained and kept clean, nothing like the midwest or Ontario at least. The southern part of the province has tons of old classic poo poo still that have original bodies because it's so dry.

That guy is just on glue. He's also in Ft Mac which is its own special unicorn of a city in many ways. Ones in much better shape come up from time to time. 1500q is a good example, he's asking under $4K and it has less than 100K miles and looks to be in really good shape, other than the body issue.

What I'm getting from this is that you want to buy 1500q's SVX and put a 5-speed in it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

The Nightmare Before Christmas interior covering really brings out the fun. I remember driving this in Gran Turismo 4.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Does your friend fancy flying down to California to buy my '91 325ix? :henget: (OR car/title, just moved down in it)

He's a bit more keen to the RWD models but he's shown some interest in IX's. He's a p well known skateboarder so he regularly travels down the west coast for events. We're not looking for RIGHT NOW TODAY, since he hasn't gotten his insurance payout yet anyway.

Post some pictures/info or email them to me at throwawaydl69696 at gmail and I'll pass along the word. Full disclosure and good pictures please. Flaws don't scare us away and I'm v familiar with e30's. I know there isn't a single e30 out there without something broken. We'd rather know about them before spending the money to travel!

Tommychu posted:

Um. YES.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1991-lexus-sc400/1046454623?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hell, I'm not doing anything this weekend I think I want to head up there and take a look.

These cars are v cool on paper but please for the love of god test drive one before you buy one. In reality it's probably one of the lifeless and most boring cars I've ever driven. Cool car but in my opinion it was ruined by unresponsive early first generation drive-by-wire, huge steering dead spots etc. I almost bought one off ebay until I got behind the wheel and realized how much sc300/sc400's should just stick to the stancer crowd.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 15, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Was the SC series the ones that were basically a Soarer in drag?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

1500quidporsche posted:

Just a different badge for the Japanese market - like the LS was a Toyota Celsior and the GS was an Aristo

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

HEY VAPER posted:

He's a bit more keen to the RWD models but he's shown some interest in IX's. He's a p well known skateboarder so he regularly travels down the west coast for events. We're not looking for RIGHT NOW TODAY, since he hasn't gotten his insurance payout yet anyway.

Post some pictures/info or email them to me at throwawaydl69696 at gmail and I'll pass along the word. Full disclosure and good pictures please. Flaws don't scare us away and I'm v familiar with e30's. I know there isn't a single e30 out there without something broken. We'd rather know about them before spending the money to travel!

I'm not in a hurry to sell, so no worries. I just want something sportier that I can mod (modding a relatively untouched IX feels wrong). Emailing you a lil' writeup and some pictures.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

1500quidporsche posted:

I believe you are correct. Cool car, neutered by technology that wasn't quite ready for prime time. SC300/400's make great stancer cars though, because who gives a gently caress about driving dynamics?

Again reiterating no hate for the SC300/SC400, I'm just saying that it's not the car that it looks like on paper. If you want a relatively reliably v8 comfort oriented highway cruiser, it's a great choice. Best comparison I could make is a modern DTS but rear drive. Also makes really sexy VIP cars. But if any 90's era car makes you feel more detached from the driving experience, it's the SC300/400. I still to this day hate drive by wire, but in these earlier drive by wire cars the flaws are super apparent.

Don't write it off because of my post, just go test drive one. My Dad's a car guy and he loving loves SC300/400's.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 15, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

dissss posted:

Just a different badge for the Japanese market - like the LS was a Toyota Celsior and the GS was an Aristo

Yeah but if I remember correctly the LS was engineered from the ground up to be a S-Class/7 Series fighter.

The Soarer/SC was a cool car, its too bad it fell into the wrong crowd.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah but if I remember correctly the LS was engineered from the ground up to be a S-Class/7 Series fighter.

The Soarer/SC was a cool car, its too bad it fell into the wrong crowd.

They were both essentially US-first designs that were also sold as Toyota back in Japan (until the Lexus brand was established there too)

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I'm not in a hurry to sell, so no worries. I just want something sportier that I can mod (modding a relatively untouched IX feels wrong). Emailing you a lil' writeup and some pictures.

Cool, at the absolute soonest we'd be looking at 1-2 months anyways. Sometimes goons have had trouble sending me emails, so if it doesn't work post when you're on and I'll post/edit my phone number.

For your knowledge, he's a total BMW enthusiast, professional detailer, and his plans are to keep it OEM to tastefully modified. To create the perfect daily driver with a slightly bigger focus on performance than OEM. He's new to e30's but he's been getting rides in my 88 325is and fell in love with it. Bet you could negotiate some detailing work on your other cars as well if that tickles your fancy, dude's an interior wizard and the only guy I trust taking a buffer to my paint :)

We were going to go with an e30 for DD, and spend the next year or two fixing his e36 and titling it rebuilt, but if he ends up with an IX we could always turn the IX into a winter car and the e36 into his summer ride :)

When you're taking pictures, don't feel like you'll scare us away by showing the bad. I'm v familiar with e30's and I have a good sense of what is and isn't a big deal etc. Plus unless its a tan interior he's probably going to swap it anyways.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 15, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

dissss posted:

They were both essentially US-first designs that were also sold as Toyota back in Japan (until the Lexus brand was established there too)

Luxury EXport US

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

dissss posted:

I think the styling was done in California and then shipped to Japan for engineering.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

HEY VAPER posted:

Cool, at the absolute soonest we'd be looking at 1-2 months anyways. Sometimes goons have had trouble sending me emails, so if it doesn't work post when you're on and I'll post/edit my phone number.

Sent, I just included two exterior shots since it's about sunset atm, just let me know what you want pictures of and I'll get em to you.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4886446242.html

Great pictures bud. Those door handles look nice.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Sent, I just included two exterior shots since it's about sunset atm, just let me know what you want pictures of and I'll get em to you.

Awesome, you have my interest. Few questions: auto or manual? Is that paint lachssiber? I have a hard time telling some bmw silvers apart without being in person..

Interior color? Rust free? Mind going through the dents and scratches when you take more pictures? As I said buyer's a detailer so that kind of stuff won't phase him. he was lollin that you even mentioned the key scratches

Could give a gently caress about front fenders on an e30 but are those little dents or just reflections?

Hopin my friend buys your car so I canj buy it from him =V

For pictires just look at enthusaistauto and don't bother with the pointless ones. take your spare jack and battery/battery holder out of the trunk and snap a picture (added bonus: good time to clean them out, trunkgrime loves those spots) get a good shot of around the doors... no need to now but if I end up being serious I'm gonna ask you you to poke at the floorpans with a screwdriver...

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 15, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wojcigitty posted:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4886446242.html

Great pictures bud. Those door handles look nice.

I have to assume based on the fact it has all seasons on that it just spun into that bank of snow.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Thanks for the replies. Good food for thought, especially since the main reason I'm turfing the Vibe is that it's too boring. In theory an SC400 should still be at least a bit more exciting but I suppose the proof will be in the pudding when I drive the thing tomorrow. And hell even if I don't ~love~ it this guy sounds like he's been through a barrage of lovely prospective buyers so I'm betting he'll play ball just to offload it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Many MANY more pictures on this "ad" so be sure to click the link

http://ichiba.geocities.jp/seiyaa_desk/sardmc8-seiyaaaz.html

Have never had a chance to see so many detailed shots, the inner workings of the MC8

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Did I misunderstand that or is that only 28000 dollars?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

HEY VAPER posted:

Luxury EXport US

Lexus are sold in Australia, but those were personal import toyota soarers here (like dssss said, they were badged toyotas in Japan even when Lexus was around).
I can't think of another toyota that was both toyota and lexus marque, it's just a weird thing about that model.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
holy gently caress, trying to get that thing registered anywhere would probably be impossible but that's crazy cheap

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fo3 posted:

I can't think of another toyota that was both toyota and lexus marque, it's just a weird thing about that model.

Ugh the entire Lexus range was also sold as Toyotas
IS - Altezza
ES - Windom
GS - Aristo
SC - Soarer
LS - Celsior

There were of course spec differences (like the Altezza could come with a 3SGE and there was a 2.5 Windom) but they were the same basic cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess he means both sold in the same market?

It would be a real stretch to call the LC and LX different cars.