Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I still have no goddamned clue why 9 use their HD channel to broadcast 70 year old movies instead of sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mister Chief posted:

Would you like to know how England is going?

I just read up on it and lol but also even bigger lol at the two 'best' umpires getting it so so so wrong at the end.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Wait what mythical place has Indian and Pakistani fans coexisting peacefully

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Wrong stumps, cricket guy.

Also that ^

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

puchu posted:

Wait what mythical place has Indian and Pakistani fans coexisting peacefully

Ironically, a bar called "The Australian."

https://www.theaustraliannyc.com

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Quasimango posted:

I don't understand why they won't broadcast them on GEM, instead of what's on now, which is a 5 year old re-run of the Great British Bake Off.

I love Bake Off on sunday nights because it's mindless television that takes my mind off having to go to work tomorrow. Having said that, i'd much much prefer to have cricket on.

It must just be too expensive to pay for all the minnow games. It surprises me that they didn't at least pay for India's games? And maybe England too? They would surely draw ratings here.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

gabensraum posted:

"Channel Nine will only show Australia’s six pool matches, one quarter final, the two semis and final, making a total of 10 matches"

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/02/13/icc-cricket-world-cup-broadcast-guide/

This is so poo poo. Is it just because they want to try and encourage people to go to the non-Australia matches rather than watching at home or is it general Nine fuckery? There's something like 42 matches before the finals begin and they're showing a total of 10. Surely utilise Gem for some of the non-Australian matches.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I just read up on it and lol but also even bigger lol at the two 'best' umpires getting it so so so wrong at the end.

You'll be glad to know that Billy Bowden made the final call.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

"Staying open until the end of the match so you don’t miss a moment."

I think you need to go back now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

runoverbobby posted:

"Staying open until the end of the match so you don’t miss a moment."

I think you need to go back now.

I'm going to bed dude

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

adamantium|wang posted:

I still have no goddamned clue why 9 use their HD channel to broadcast 70 year old movies instead of sports.

Don't know about 9, but Channel 10 used to have a lot of sport on their digital channel, until James/Lachlan Murdoch took it over and got rid of all the sport, because it was competing with the Murdoch owned Fox Sports.

Media cross-ownership, it's great!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

thepokey posted:

This is so poo poo. Is it just because they want to try and encourage people to go to the non-Australia matches rather than watching at home or is it general Nine fuckery? There's something like 42 matches before the finals begin and they're showing a total of 10. Surely utilise Gem for some of the non-Australian matches.

They probably just didn't want to pay for the rights to all those matches.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

It's 3:30 AM and I just got back from watching the first innings of India/Pakistan at a bar here in NYC. I have never experienced anything like it in 28 years of being a sports fan. Nonstop chanting in Hindi for hours, screaming with every boundary, India and Pakistan fans being civil to one another in the midst of all of it. I wish the time zones weren't so awful so I could see the conclusion. It was seriously incredible.

Hope you told the Indians that Sachin is from Pakistan.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

thepokey posted:

This is so poo poo. Is it just because they want to try and encourage people to go to the non-Australia matches rather than watching at home or is it general Nine fuckery?

Rupert Murdoch.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

zakharov posted:

I've been here and can say that this place rules. Hopefully Pakistan makes something of this to validate me staying up until probably 6AM (at this rate).

Also, solid stand by Zimbabwe. They sure collapsed pretty terribly, but at least they made a show of it and look to have a team that could be something.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

zakharov posted:

$12 for a pie? gently caress that mate.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

$12 for a pie? gently caress that mate.

It is NYC. That's actually reasonable.

Someone please choke Warne to death. Preferably with some KFC.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Since they have been separated a bit I'm finding Warne and Slater the most unbearable.

All of the channel 9 guys are horrid though.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Since they have been separated a bit I'm finding Warne and Slater the most unbearable.

All of the channel 9 guys are horrid though.

I think Warne is the worst, though. His constant bleating about Australia being great and the best combined with this garbage he keeps spewing about making the grounds bigger to show off the non-existent "bat technology". Just because you keep saying a thing is real does not make it real, you insipid, vacuous oval office.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
There was a good stint earlier with Warne discussing the Pakistan leggie's technique, but for each one of those there are 4 moronic ideas he gets fixated on anddoesn't shut up about. I think he only commentates so he can listen to his stream of conciousness for what he sees as quality twitter nuggets.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

There was a good stint earlier with Warne discussing the Pakistan leggie's technique, but for each one of those there are 4 moronic ideas he gets fixated on anddoesn't shut up about. I think he only commentates so he can listen to his stream of conciousness for what he sees as quality twitter nuggets.

Yeah, that was a good bit of talk but the utter quantity of poo poo you have to be subjected to to get to those nuggets is just heinous. I would rather just sit through a loop of the audio of those terrible loving Vitality transition ads, and those things are the worst.

Goddamnit Pakistan, stop trying to gently caress this up. I want India to lose every single one of their matches.

edit: Pakistan's running is going to be their downfall. It has been atrocious so far.

Or it'll be a questionable review. I think they're done. Tail of the order is pretty lackluster. Misbah is good, but I don't think he can carry the whole team for 200 runs.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 15, 2015

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I can see opposition to DRS melting away now that it gets India wickets against Pakistan.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

you reckon those mrf tyres are any good?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i legit want some

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

adamantium|wang posted:

The cost of broadcasting sports in HD on their secondary digital networks are greater than the money their advertisers would be willing to pay for slots on a secondary channel once they realise the Australian TV audience wouldn't watch games not involving Australia. Compared with the cost of $0 for pulling a lovely old re-run out of the library of crap with lovely advertisers that pay them too much for the slot, it's probably financially not entirely stupid compared to the possible risk of making more money broadcasting Zimbabwe vs. Bermuda to an audience of 5,000 and pissing off their advertisers who get no return on investment, if they can even convince any advertisers to pay premium for sports because if they can't then they run the risk of devaluing the advertising on their telecasts entirely because they'd have to drop the costs which could set a dangerous precedent for the rest of their coverage. Casual Australian cricket fans won't watch other teams play unless there is nothing else on. During the weekdays the viewing figures would suuuuck and during the night they have to compete with the latest episode of My Kitchen Rules and poo poo. They are still co-facilitating the broadcasts for international markets so then again you're probably right.

Of course all that aside, it's probably wrong and Nine are probably just run by monkeys pushing buttons.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Thats game with Afridi gone.

Yadav got 3 wickets with absolute trash, what a shame.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Thats game with Afridi gone.

Yadav got 3 wickets with absolute trash, what a shame.

Well, that certainly was some collapse. I'm going to bed.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Nice to see Misbah padding his stats for my fantasy team though

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Almost certainly out of reach at this point, but Pakistan showing some fight here down the stretch.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
So far the South Africa Zimbabwe game has been the most competitive match of the tournament

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
lmao gently caress that owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCjiRDnSJUg

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

When India get knocked out I hope it's an absolute embarrassment.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

zakharov posted:

ive been there. i think i had a chicken parmi, my friend got a pie. he eats like a toddler and gave it two thumbs up

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
On the topic of India/Pakistan relations: they tend to get on really well in expat communities. I will be watching all the world cup with a load of Indians and Pakistanis and it will be great.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

I was in the pool listening to ABC Grandstand for the first time ever (glare from the sun made Foxtel on ipad impossible to see) and holy poo poo is it so much better than the crap on TV. Even Boycott sounds better. Maybe its because he wasn't commentating on an England game, but he was way less grumpy and actually giggled a few times? I think I've got to try and get off my arse and work out how to get the ABC and TV synced up like every one else does

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Boycott was legit miserable during that England game, he often is when they're being shithouses.

Sometimes hilariously curmudgeonly about it all though.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

MacDougall posted:

The cost of broadcasting sports in HD on their secondary digital networks are greater than the money their advertisers would be willing to pay for slots on a secondary channel once they realise the Australian TV audience wouldn't watch games not involving Australia. Compared with the cost of $0 for pulling a lovely old re-run out of the library of crap with lovely advertisers that pay them too much for the slot, it's probably financially not entirely stupid compared to the possible risk of making more money broadcasting Zimbabwe vs. Bermuda to an audience of 5,000 and pissing off their advertisers who get no return on investment, if they can even convince any advertisers to pay premium for sports because if they can't then they run the risk of devaluing the advertising on their telecasts entirely because they'd have to drop the costs which could set a dangerous precedent for the rest of their coverage. Casual Australian cricket fans won't watch other teams play unless there is nothing else on. During the weekdays the viewing figures would suuuuck and during the night they have to compete with the latest episode of My Kitchen Rules and poo poo. They are still co-facilitating the broadcasts for international markets so then again you're probably right.

Of course all that aside, it's probably wrong and Nine are probably just run by monkeys pushing buttons.

This is pretty much spot on. They don't want to put cricket on in prime time every night because it's not worth the money to them.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Fox aren't doing a streaming package for non subscribers do they ? They do one for the EPL which is pretty sweet value if you don't have fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

You can get Foxtel play for $50 a month (no lock-in contract). First 2 weeks are free.