Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
Finish that thought, Joy.... "This is like watching....." what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
THEY'RE
JUST
SITTING
THERE

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I was seriously hoping no one would go out of protest

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

lmfao of course

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol figures

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
How storybook.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I haven't been watching since I expected it to be dumb, but I may have to turn it on now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

god i hope jeff just shits all over it in his interview but you know he won't

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Harveygod posted:

I haven't been watching since I expected it to be dumb, but I may have to turn it on now.

It's over

Gordon wins the pole, Jimmie's #2.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

quote:

I'm betting everything on Gordon. If the past 2 years meant the biggest driver related thing in the offseason gets the pole, he has it no problem.

Well I was right.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

god i hope jeff just shits all over it in his interview but you know he won't

Lol yup

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

This was just amazing.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Just got back home. Someone summarize please.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Lots of stupid pointless bullshit, Gordon on pole, Johnson 2nd. No one likes this.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Umm... same bullshit as Talladega last fall. No one wants to go out first so they wait last second to get qual laps in. Whoever goes out first is hosed, guys out back are in prime position. Other notable thing is Sorenson being very desperate in first round cutting in front of Bowyer, stomping on the brakes hitting the 51 and Bowyer hit him which bent the fender in which acted as a parachute and couldn't suck up to cars so Bowyer had to race him to get around him as Sorenson was blocking like a maniac. Blaney pushed Bowyer a little sideways into a hole and Sorenson slammed it shut and caused a big wreck. Bowyer then took a gigantic steaming poo poo on live TV disgracing NASCAR for this qualifying session. That sums it up.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Slickdrac posted:

Lots of stupid pointless bullshit, Gordon on pole, Johnson 2nd. No one likes this.

Sorry but I like Gordon on pole. :colbert:

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

keevo posted:

Sorry but I like Gordon on pole. :colbert:

Someone has to, I guess.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i've not watched nascar qualifying since they brought in the groups, so I haven't seen any other session of it. Who the gently caress thought that multi car qualifying would work on a plate track: and also that five minute long sessions would be a good idea? It probably works in every other other track (or would with longer sessions, although I gather that the session length and two groups thing is a plate track only thing) but it seems like a big clusterfuck at tracks that are known for being places that lots of people crash.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

i've not watched nascar qualifying since they brought in the groups, so I haven't seen any other session of it. Who the gently caress thought that multi car qualifying would work on a plate track: and also that five minute long sessions would be a good idea? It probably works in every other other track (or would with longer sessions, although I gather that the session length and two groups thing is a plate track only thing) but it seems like a big clusterfuck at tracks that are known for being places that lots of people crash.

It's especially insane because they did it THREE TIMES last year, it was the same thing, and still thought it would be good today.

Bowyer's rant if you haven't seen it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2015/02/15/clint-bowyer-reed-sorenson-crash-in-2015-daytona-500-pole-qualifying/23456557/

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I thought half the point of places like Talladega and Daytona were to be based on Speed? I mean, isn't that kind of what you'd want to highlight during qualifications?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
they should do single car qualifying, but take the plates off and let the cars run unrestricted

although that's probably not really that safe, it would be interesting

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

they should do single car qualifying, but take the plates off and let the cars run unrestricted

although that's probably not really that safe, it would be interesting

A little sad that the sport has never seemed to get past 1986 in terms of speed. Just makes Awesome Bill and the Thunderbird all the more amazing in retrospect.

e:

Mark Martin ‏@markmartin 3m3 minutes ago
Tough poo poo. RT @TiltJackson: @markmartin Still irritates me how you said you were retiring to help your son then got in Hendrick car for se

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 15, 2015

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well going 230 would be ludicrous let alone flying at 210. Elliott would be an afterthought if we didn't put on plates.

e: Preliminary reports... poo poo ain't gonna change.

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/567067421220282369
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/567067683775332352
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/567067979574423553

e2: EB you're missing the tweet you're referring too
https://twitter.com/markmartin/status/567065377805320192

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2015

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

e2: EB you're missing the tweet you're referring too
https://twitter.com/markmartin/status/567065377805320192

Mark owns, haters vacate.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2015

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

NASCAR isn't fining anyone for today so Bowyer, Harvick, Stewart, etc... are off the hook.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm not normally a tinfoil hat-wearing, "this stuff is the WWE"-type person, but the biggest story in Speedweeks winning the pole three years in a row seems to be a little more than coincidental. DANICUHHHHH, The 3, and now the guy running his last 500.

And this comes from a Gordon fan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if they were still running single car qualies, it'd be more suspicious

you really can just gently caress with the plates there and nobody would know

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm not normally a tinfoil hat-wearing, "this stuff is the WWE"-type person, but the biggest story in Speedweeks winning the pole three years in a row seems to be a little more than coincidental. DANICUHHHHH, The 3, and now the guy running his last 500.

The pole at Daytona matters so little though so who cares, really.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Well NASCAR does the timing so they wouldn't have to cheat the cars just say that Patrick/Dillon/Gordon has the best time. It's all so close that you can't argue it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I use a stopwatch at home every lap to keep them honest

I should post some of the scathing emails I send them

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

VikingSkull posted:

I use a stopwatch at home every lap to keep them honest

I should post some of the scathing emails I send them

Please do!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

RaceHub is going to recap qualifying on FS1 starting now. Wally Dallenbach is on the panel, so this ought to be good.

e- Wally and Jeff Hammond both hate this poo poo, as does Kyle Larson.

Steve O'Donnell is so full of poo poo. "The drivers want to make this exciting FOR THE FANS so we think this is exciting and you hear Clint Bowyer and those guys who think this is loving moronic, but that's passion! Plus, cars always go home from Daytona."

The higher ups at NASCAR are literally incapable of seeing that there's anything wrong and buying into their own North Korean-style cult of personality. :negative:

Jeff Hammond says "You don't want to alienate the fans". Got some news for you, Hollywood. :roflolmao:

e2- Truex said some drivers got damage on pit road at the end of qualifying. Do I even want to know what caused THAT to happen?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 16, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bill France wanted the 1979 Daytona 500 blacked out in the Southeast in an effort to protect ticket sales.

Somewhere, in Daytona Beach, FL, Brian France just got an idea which can only backfire colossally.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bill France wanted the 1979 Daytona 500 blacked out in the Southeast in an effort to protect ticket sales.

Holy poo poo, I never knew that. That could have changed everything.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

ah, wanted to go the Indy 500 route.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I had no idea they were doing this, saw that Gordon won the pole then saw the highlights and was like what the gently caress.

ISN'T THAT WHAT THE loving DUELS ARE FOR?

NASCAR doing something completely retarded, I shouldn't be surprised but somehow they always manage.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't know why anyone is complaining, frankly i find the really stupid poo poo in nascar to be by far the most entertaining part of it these days.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah because gently caress the teams, they should bring ten cars to Daytona :rolleyes:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cubey posted:

i don't know why anyone is complaining, frankly i find the really stupid poo poo in nascar to be by far the most entertaining part of it these days.
I agree with this fully. Nascar is such a cornucopia of mishaps and poor decisions. I still miss Digger cartoons that would make the old school fans absolutely furious. I'm sorry I missed qualifying but I'm glad the whole big show is racing towards is WWE terminus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

Yeah because gently caress the teams, they should bring ten cars to Daytona :rolleyes:

if it's affecting them that badly, maybe they should nut the gently caress up

• Locked thread