Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Someone in the last thread linked to an analysis that said scores match much closer to simply scoring ~150 off the last 20 as long as you had wickets in hand. Going by that Ireland are well on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
Good to see England giving Morgan a lifeline, after not making the Irish team based on current form.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Deathlove posted:

You are an actual trash person.

I told you adopting the Windies was a bad idea.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Ha - nice some afternoon Pink Floyd for everyone who is just getting back into the grounds after their 4:20 break :2bong:

You're alright DJ. :thumbsup:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Do the West Indies speak English to each other? I genuinely cannot tell.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
gently caress

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
So do they not do the WASP thing in the World Cup games? Is that stat owned by a particular broadcaster or something silly like that?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

The Nards Pan posted:

So do they not do the WASP thing in the World Cup games? Is that stat owned by a particular broadcaster or something silly like that?
It's a New Zealand thing so yes.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I wonder if the DJ is aware that reggae artists exist who aren't Bob Marley

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

zakharov posted:

He played one earlier, but I didn't recognize the artist.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Windies have used 8 bowlers. Do they know the cup has started and this isn't another warm up match?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
gently caress it must be depressing being a long time Windies fan.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
they don't have a decent spinner and apparently slow bowling is what works on this pitch

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

zakharov posted:

NZ has a fairly huge reggae scene actually but it was literally 100% inspired by the time Bob Marley toured here.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

-Spiffy- posted:

They all look like they have no desire to be out there at all. It's rather sad.

In saying that: gently caress yeah, Ireland. :)

E: if the Irish don't call that N. O'Brien dude "Chief" or "Smiley", they're doing it wrong.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I said that the West Indies were the most likely to give up.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

IceAgeComing posted:

they don't have a decent spinner and apparently slow bowling is what works on this pitch

What was the old quote? I can't remember if the question was put to Lloyd or Richards but it was something like "when will you play a spinner?" "when one can bowl at 90 miles an hour"

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

It is. :(

They don't even look like they care which, given the shambles the WICB is in, isn't surprising.

I think Ireland will win by the 41st over.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

webmeister posted:

big bats these days mate i tell ya what
One of Simmons' sixes went 59 metres :lol:

gabensraum posted:

When I was a kid the rule of thumb was, unless a lot of wickets had fallen, you'd double the score at 30 overs gone to get an idea of the total. I haven't looked at recent trends but wouldn't be surprised if half the winner's score is made at about 35 overs gone now.
Anecdotally I'd say this holds up dependent on wickets. With Australia I'd say this holds up regardless of wickets if they bat the fifty overs out.

gabensraum posted:

I was about to suggest that the score required under Duckworth-Lewis should the heavens upon up immediately is probably the best way to see how a team is going.
Then I wondered if D/L needs to be reexamined to take this brave new post-T20 world into account, or whether the maths behind it makes that irrelevant.
Actually, an American mathematician is named Steve Stern is helping to revise the system because one of Duckworth or Lewis is retiring.

EDIT: Apparently it gets revised every two years: http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-series/cricket-news/69983/introducing-duckworth-lewis-stern-method

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Bit of a shame the next world cup won't have the same opportunities for a minnow upset.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

ireland have currently scored 100 more runs than the West Indies had until this point - they've consistently been around 6.5 runs an over at all points while the West Indies didn't score at all between 10 and 35, but then west mental at the end.

You can tell they don't care with that drop

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Bit of a shame the next world cup won't have the same opportunities for a minnow upset.

I wish they would keep the minnows in and just speed the schedule up a bit, is cricket so taxing on these guys that they can't play every other day or at most every three days?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Ireland were $4.50 to win last night. Almost put money on it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

ireland have currently scored 100 more runs than the West Indies had until this point - they've consistently been around 6.5 runs an over at all points while the West Indies didn't score at all between 10 and 35, but then west mental at the end.

You can tell they don't care with that drop

I don't know, that was the captain, he seemed mad with himself. If anyone in the team cares it should be the captain at least

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

EMC posted:

I wish they would keep the minnows in and just speed the schedule up a bit, is cricket so taxing on these guys that they can't play every other day or at most every three days?

is there a reason bar "We need an India-Pakistan game!!!" that they don't go for a four groups of four thing? They did it in 2007 and that was a very bad tournament, but that was for reasons other than the structure (although the super 8s are lovely)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

EMC posted:

Considering a Test goes for 5 consecutive days you'd think they could manage it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IceAgeComing posted:

is there a reason bar "We need an India-Pakistan game!!!" that they don't go for a four groups of four thing? They did it in 2007 and that was a very bad tournament, but that was for reasons other than the structure (although the super 8s are lovely)

Funnily enough I think the reason for the current tournament's structure is so that every team was guaranteed 6 games at least. And now the minnows are being removed because there are too many games in the tournament? how does that work, just change up the structure.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the 2019 tournament is currently scheduled to have more games, and last longer even though the associates are being removed. Because more ODIs between the same countries are what everyone wants!!!

This is why its perfectly correct to hope that the Associates (as well as Zimbabwe and Bangladesh because the qualifying system proposed pretty much treats them in the same way) do very well and a few of the full members get knocked out in the groups

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Good info thanks

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Middle Earth reference. And it was even prompted by a kiwi, shameful.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

IceAgeComing posted:

India and Pakistan both got knocked out early and it cost the ICC eyes on TVs in the subcontinent, so they've had to safeguard against it in future events. The next one has a round-robin format with just ten teams - that way India can play at least nine games, growing the game in associate nations be damned

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Uh oh

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
E: Yeah, what he said --^

Uh oh - could Ireland really blow this??

E2: :lol:

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 16, 2015

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Oh gently caress me

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Jesus Christ c'mon Ireland

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Wow this is taking way longer than it should have. Windies seem to have completely given up having seen that fielding by Gayle, which is sad because taking those wickets put them back into it a bit.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Seriously Gayle looked downright bored to be out there.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Christ thank gently caress.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
Hurrah! Crisis averted. Way to keep it interesting till almost the end Ireland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Hahahaha yes Ireland yes :ireland: