Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
:siren: Since all episodes will be released simultaneously, no spoiler tags are necessary in here. Read at your own risk!:siren:

Bosch, an original TV series for Amazon Prime based on Michael Connelly's 19 books about Los Angeles Police Department Detective Harry Bosch, premieres Friday. The good news is when Connelly isn't playing poker with Richard Castle, he is also serving as an Executive Producer and Writer for the series., so hopefully the series will stay pretty true to the characters. Season one will take elements from three books in the series, City of Bones, The Concrete Blonde and Echo Park. Connelly has said City of Bones will be the backbone of the first season with parts from the other two books. Things have been tweaked a bit from the books with Bosch being a bit younger and a vet of the Persian Gulf War instead of Vietnam.

The first episode is a substantial rebuild of the Pilot, so you shouldn't skip it even if you saw the pilot. It looks to have a strong cast and initial reviews have been positive.

Starring:

Titus Welliver as Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch.

Jamie Hector as Bosch's partner, Jerry Edgar.

Lance Reddick as Deputy Chief Irvin Irving.

Amy Aquino as Lieutenant Grace Billets.

and

Annie Wersching as Julie Brasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
About halfway through and it's been really good. If you've read the books it's interesting to see them weave the different stories together. Took me a bit to realize the one cop was Mac's dad from It's Always Sunny.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I love you Lance Redick :razz:

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Good, not great television. Welliver is good, Hector and Redick too.

If this show got a lot more money so they could land better actors for the bit parts, increase the quality of the sets (and just the production in general), and more properly edit scenes together so it doesn't feel so loose they would be cooking with crisco.

I enjoyed it, hoping the second season is better.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Not enough lingering shots of Bosch obsessively rearranging murder books with jazz in the background as he mumbles brooding off hand remarks about The City and The Mission, IMO.

edit: Bosch Season One: Every shitpost counts or no post counts.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 15, 2015

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Just finished it and it was good, not great. They glossed over things like why Pounds hates Bosch, they even took you to the bar with Billets asking Bosch why Pounds hated him, and it was a 10 second explanation about nothing. Throwing the Billets and Kiz lesbian couple thing in there for really no reason. (Billets did mention she was seeing someone on the force, which was perhaps why she was so hard on Bosch about his relationship.)

I'm a huge fan of the books, I just think they could have done more with it really.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The introspection is what really makes the books and that's kind of lacking from the series. I too found it to be good, not great. Without being able to witness how Bosch is processing a case in his mind kind of robs a lot from the character.

He's also kind of toned down a lot, and much less of a kind of crazy obsessive rear end in a top hat. There's better ways to do Bosch if you don't have that inner monologue available: A Darkness More Than Night, one of the Terry McCaleb novels, does this pretty well where Bosch is not the protagonist but still features prominently in the story and he's so weird the main character suspects him as a serial killer.

So without all this you kind of had a stripped down feel of the series. I liked it a lot but as a big fan I kept asking myself if I wasn't catching all the little references or the characters (Pounds is really neglected and it takes half the show for Irving to really stand out) if I'd be getting as much out of it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I really don't like the change of bosch from vietnam draftee (He was a draftee, right?) to a hooah special forces man who reupped after 9/11. It feels kinda cheap.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
He enlisted at 17 if I remember right. I think they had to go this way for cost reasons, probably cheaper to shoot everything if it's present day compared to rolling everything back to the 90's.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Phobeste posted:

I really don't like the change of bosch from vietnam draftee (He was a draftee, right?) to a hooah special forces man who reupped after 9/11. It feels kinda cheap.

He signed up for it to get away from his crappy childhood ASAP but yeah he wasn't really a hooah kind of guy over it. I think him reupping is just so they can work in the tunnel rat background which wouldn't be that possible (I believe) had he just served in the Gulf War.

I think it would have been a lot more interesting a show as a period piece set in the early 1990s but I can understand why that wasn't an easy sell or cheap to do. I think they did a good enough job with having Bosch be younger, and if they'd stuck with the current books you'd have to have Bosch running around in his early sixties and even that is increasingly getting implausible even in the books.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone else think the first episode is a little tone deaf given current events? We're somehow lead to believe that it's a big deal that Bosch shot and killed someone who actually had a gun when cops mow down unarmed black people (sometimes even children) on an almost weekly basis and face zero consequences. I like the actors a lot and I want to stick with it but that particular part of the plot really chafes at me.

e: Also I keep comparing any show with cops in it to The Wire, which really doesn't help matters. And in this case is at least understandable, given the presence of both Lance Reddick and Jamie Hector.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finished the series this weekend, and I liked it a lot.

It didn't do a lot of the stuff I expected it to do, such as having the daughter be kidnapped, the partner be killed, etc... so I have to give it props for that.

I was surprised that the serial killer arc ended in the penultimate episode, the last episode was a nice wrap up, but didn't have a ton going on.

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone else think the first episode is a little tone deaf given current events? We're somehow lead to believe that it's a big deal that Bosch shot and killed someone who actually had a gun when cops mow down unarmed black people (sometimes even children) on an almost weekly basis and face zero consequences.

Yes, I thought this too. Lance Reddick references Ferguson in one of the middle episodes. I don't know if that was added in later to address the elephant in the room.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone else think the first episode is a little tone deaf given current events? We're somehow lead to believe that it's a big deal that Bosch shot and killed someone who actually had a gun when cops mow down unarmed black people (sometimes even children) on an almost weekly basis and face zero consequences. I like the actors a lot and I want to stick with it but that particular part of the plot really chafes at me.
I actually was thinking about it the other way around. It feels a bit gross that within the context of the events of the last year the show demands that we automatically side with the cop. In the books of course we have bosch's inner narrative but without that...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phobeste posted:

I actually was thinking about it the other way around. It feels a bit gross that within the context of the events of the last year the show demands that we automatically side with the cop. In the books of course we have bosch's inner narrative but without that...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I mean, there are already plenty of police shows out there that constantly harp on the fact that they're always being held back by lawyers, policies, red tape, blah blah blah. I'm just wondering if the writers of these shows live in a bubble or something.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Didn't the pilot come out a few months before Mike Brown was killed? Not that there weren't other high profile shootings before that, but I think it might have been a bit different had Ferguson happened prior to filming the pilot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The pilot was refilmed when the show went to series.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh, well never mind then.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm 7 episodes in and there have been 2 utterly inexplicable scenes that I think the show intended us to understand but make no sense.

The first was in the pilot where he assesses the dead woman in the car as a suicide. What? I think we're supposed to understand that he determined she shot the gun based on the smells, but she was not wounded (aside from some blood and being dead), there was no brain splatter or blood in the car, etc. Super confusing.

The second one was in episode 6 or 7 where the lady cop gets wounded by the gunshot. What the gently caress happened there? Did Bosch shoot her? His behavior gave no sign of that. The guy was against the wall so it definitely wasn't him. Nobody made any effort to go look for another person. Did she misfire her gun and shoot herself in the torso?! We rewatched the scene a few times and are just baffled.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The second one is explained later. It's meant to be confusing initially.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the first one was just to show him ignoring rules as matter of course, and even telling the patrolman that he was going to do so.

If you missed the explanation for the second one there there must have been a lot of parts that seemed confusing towards the last half of the series. She accidentally shoots herself while fumbling between her gun and her handcuffs. Her story is that the guy went for her gun and shot her during the scuffle, but Bosch reports that he could see both of the guy's hands on the wall when the shot is fired. That's the reason that his bosses don't make a big deal out of him letting the guy go: they don't want headlines about conflicting reports on the incident.

Maybe that incident was supposed to be really confusing to the watcher until the whole thing is made clear later?

withak fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Yeah, I made that post immediately after the episode that ends with the shooting. I have seen the next episode now and it makes sense. I just thought it was super weird how everyone reacted.

This show is great, though the intro is a little too upbeat for the pace / mood of the show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So it is more of a realistic take on cops like Southland, or more of a noir-type shindig? Either works for me, I just don't want to start watching if its going to be a bad cop show like CSI/Mentalist with a "psychopath mastermind serial killer" type bad guy.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Definitely more of a noir type thing

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's sort of like The Wire, The Shield or Southland. No where near the quality of these but still decent. Streaming the whole show in 4k was a nice bonus.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not a show about anime/video game voice actor or former Power Ranger Johnny Yong Bosch. Mildly disappointed.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I binged the entire series over the weekend. Since I did not read the books I did not have any expectations and enjoyed it.
What I enjoyed the most was that they solved the crimes with detective work; working leads, going through old files, etc. None of the BS super enhancement of traffic camera footage, magic CSI type gimmicks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't read the books either, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Part of that might be due to having a few Wire actors. I'll watch anything with Lance Reddick.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
What's funny is when I read the books I always pictured Irving as Burrell from The Wire

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tofes posted:

What's funny is when I read the books I always pictured Irving as Burrell from The Wire

I havn't read the books, but Burrell's first name being Irv(ing) did call up that association here too.

All in all it was a decent enough season, though it was a little too by the numbers. Not so much mystery-wise, but like, it was too easy to stay one step ahead of the script. Oh, this will be called back to in the next episode. Yeah, this guy will come back later with that & that.

Thoroughly entertained, but not sure I would have kept up if I didn't have the whole season at once.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Will it be renewed for another season? When will we know?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I really liked it. Nice to see Titus Welliver in a lead role

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Got renewed :dance:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazon-greenlights-second-season-original-782804

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Just came here to post this. Awesome news, and so glad to hear the ratings were great.

• Locked thread