Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
This meaningless two-hour poo poo-show just made NASCAR even more of a joke. Just let them qualify one at a time for a three or four-lap run, then run the Duels, then run the race which is still a total lottery because of the plate package.

I can't imagine having a friend over to watch this who never watched NASCAR before and trying to tell them why nobody is doing anything at all for three minutes out of a five minute qualifying segment, and then why one of those two segments is pretty much worthless because some nobody driver got his car dinged during lovely pit-lane bingo. This is the stupidest thing ever, and NASCAR insists it isn't. It aggravates me to watch people with this many resources be completely idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

if it's affecting them that badly, maybe they should nut the gently caress up

Think of the Roush and Penske of the world, they don't know they're wealthy

A Ford racing a Chevrolet

I told you I'd qualify but you didn't believe me, why didn't you believe me?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It's not going to go away though. How many people watched qualifying yesterday that normally wouldn't have? Everyone hates it, but NASCAR only cares about numbers shortsightedly.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Slickdrac posted:

It's not going to go away though. How many people watched qualifying yesterday that normally wouldn't have? Everyone hates it, but NASCAR only cares about numbers shortsightedly.

Well Daytona 500 qualifying probably gets more viewers anyways. I know I usually watch it even though it doesn't matter.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Qualifying for the 500 could be worse. We could have this Top 35-fueled fiasco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUf48pn9x44

THAT poo poo was stupid.

kidcoelacanth posted:

The pole at Daytona matters so little though so who cares, really.

The people in power who thought it should be on network FOX. See:

Slickdrac posted:

How many people watched qualifying yesterday that normally wouldn't have? Everyone hates it, but NASCAR only cares about numbers shortsightedly.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I can't imagine having a friend over to watch this who never watched NASCAR before and trying to tell them why nobody is doing anything at all for three minutes out of a five minute qualifying segment, and then why one of those two segments is pretty much worthless because some nobody driver got his car dinged during lovely pit-lane bingo. This is the stupidest thing ever, and NASCAR insists it isn't. It aggravates me to watch people with this many resources be completely idiotic.

I was watching it with my boyfriend (yeah yeah) who stubbornly refuses to follow the sport, and he said that the group qualifying was bad enough, but the waiting at the end of pit road was unbearable. "Isn't this a race? Shouldn't they be racing?"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I guess we need Daytona qualifying bingo now too.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Kurt Busch's idea about adopting Indy 500 qualifying for the 500 is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure Daytona qualifying has been on network TV since the CBS days.

Also who suggested this thread title because it makes me laugh every time I read it. I wonder how many people get it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure Daytona qualifying has been on network TV since the CBS days.

Also who suggested this thread title because it makes me laugh every time I read it. I wonder how many people get it.

i thought boomer came up with it himself. it is genius.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use to leave daytona on as background noise. With the group qualifying the tv stayed off. I knew it would be a parking lot followed by a poo poo show.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Muddy Burphy posted:

Kurt Busch's idea about adopting Indy 500 qualifying for the 500 is the worst thing I've ever heard.

Indianapolis qualifying can be genuinely really exciting; but really only when you have a great deal more than 33 competitive cars otherwise bump day (or the first day in this new lovely system they've come up with) turns into a huge waste of time and just another practice day. Bump Day was cracking in 2010 and 2011. Although adopting that for Daytona is dumb as poo poo - although they apparently used to have two rounds of qualifying for nascar races so it wouldn't be too out there. The only changes I would make personally is going back to single car qualifying on plate tracks since that would be fairer. If they are insistent on the multi car thing for plate tracks; then don't have five minute session lengths

CBJSprague24 posted:

Qualifying for the 500 could be worse. We could have this Top 35-fueled fiasco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUf48pn9x44

THAT poo poo was stupid.

:yikes:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

VikingSkull posted:

Think of the Roush and Penske of the world, they don't know they're wealthy

A Ford racing a Chevrolet

I told you I'd qualify but you didn't believe me, why didn't you believe me?

I get this reference.

Cubey posted:

if it's affecting them that badly, maybe they should nut the gently caress up

Reed Sorensen is out of gonna run a backup (if they can get one) in the duel and the 500 because he wrecked their only car at qualifying. I know you're a big Hendrick and Penske fanboy so you don't give a gently caress about the shithouse teams but group qualifying at a plate track is dumb as hell.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 16, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Group qualifying is dumb at any track where the draft comes into play.

E-Also splitting the group in 2 while also splitting the segment time in half was colossally dumb

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 16, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Group qualifying is dumb

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Elitist Bitch posted:

"Isn't this a race? Shouldn't they be racing?"

Future thread title, please.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Single car qualifying is lovely and boring on road courses though

Perhaps you should change your qualifying procedure based on the type of track that you are racing at to make it exciting but fair

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

It's cool and good at Sonoma and the Glen

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

It's cool and good at Sonoma and the Glen

gently caress Sonoma, gently caress the Glen, gently caress NASCAR and gently caress GROUP QUALIFYING. If God had intended us to qualify in groups we all would've been born at the same time.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 16, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Explain the documentary Twins then, please

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

Explain the documentary Twins then, please

Twins isn't a documentary, idiot. Go watch a real documentary like Days of Thunder. :jerkbag:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Harry was way cooler than his brother Boss

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

We all know the greatest NASCAR-commissioned documentary is Talladega Nights, guys. It did an epic job dissuading the stereotypes that all NASCAR drivers and fans are inbred rednecks who might be missing brain cells.

Smoke has finally figured out the joys of Twitter. In response to whatever happy crap Kenny Wallace said about group qualifying:

quote:

Tony Stewart @TonyStewart
@Kenny_Wallace that's not a show, it's a joke and you know it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm ok, I got my Kenny Wallace shirt on

*unfastens firesuit*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Pocket Commando got her restraining order on Kurt Busch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Pocket Commando got her restraining order on Kurt Busch.

good for kurt busch

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
reminder that the New Smyrna races are on tonight @ 7:30 Eastern on Fanschoice

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Question about setting the grid: are the cars that are set by qualifying speed (31-36th; right?) set by fastest speed when you combine the qualifying sessions or do they rank the later qualifying sessions above the earlier ones? Apparently when you combine qualifying sessions Gordon is only the 7th Fastest which is interesting

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IceAgeComing posted:

Question about setting the grid: are the cars that are set by qualifying speed (31-36th; right?) set by fastest speed when you combine the qualifying sessions or do they rank the later qualifying sessions above the earlier ones? Apparently when you combine qualifying sessions Gordon is only the 7th Fastest which is interesting

Qualifying was only set for 1st and 2nd. Everyone else has to go through a pair of qualifying races: :siren:"THE DUEL":siren:!

WIKIPEDIA posted:

The two fastest qualifiers above (the Daytona 500 pole winner and the "outside" pole winner) are awarded the first starting position on the grid for the two Duel races, respectively.
Drivers who qualify in odd-numbered positions in Q3 start in the first Duel, while drivers who qualify in even-numbered positions in Q3 start in the second Duel. This fills positions 1-6 in each duel.
The 12 drivers eliminated after Q2 have their Q2 times determine their starting position. The fastest driver eliminated in Q2, based on Q2 times only, starts 7th in the first Duel, while the second-fastest driver in Q2 starts 7th in the second Duel, and based on position of elimination from Q2, start in the first (odd) or second (even) numbered positions.
Drivers eliminated after Q1 will have Q1 times determine their starting position. The fastest driver eliminated in Q1 starts 13th in the first Duel, while the second-fastest driver eliminated in Q1 starts 13th in the second duel.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 16, 2015

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I know about the duels but the last few spots are set by time and provisionals, right? Unless I've been confused watching these things for the last few years

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eh.

It's rather amusing that NASCAR has apparently pissed this many fans off. I realize that comment sections are useless in articles, but it was really strange to see not a single person defending this format.

The literal only people I've seen defending this have been guys like Waltrip, and the Sirius/XM guys.

It's the story of NASCAR in the Brian France Era really. Qualifying was something that really didn't need fixing, but they found a way to gently caress that up just like they have with pretty much everything else since 2003.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

VikingSkull posted:

It works on multiple levels.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

IceAgeComing posted:

I know about the duels but the last few spots are set by time and provisionals, right? Unless I've been confused watching these things for the last few years
Spots 31-36 come from the fastest speeds in the first round (1A and 1B, in this case) of group qualifying, not fastest laps overall. As it stands right now, there's a scenario where both MWR cars and the 10 could go home, so let's root for that outcome, shall we?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Smoke has finally figured out the joys of Twitter. In response to whatever happy crap Kenny Wallace said about group qualifying:
I liked Kenny until he started along the same route where NASCAR could do no wrong, at the exact same time when Buschwacking effectively killed his career. He's doing what he has to do to put food on the table, but it's selling out.

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 16, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IceAgeComing posted:

Ah sorry.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 16, 2015

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

As was posted Driscoll got her protective order and Kurt has to be 100 yards away from her work and home. At NASCAR races, a reasonable distance away.

She then she did this on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TampaBayGary/status/567397614405296130?s=09

She deleted it soon after.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BMB5150 posted:

As was posted Driscoll got her protective order and Kurt has to be 100 yards away from her work and home. At NASCAR races, a reasonable distance away.

She then she did this on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/TampaBayGary/status/567397614405296130?s=09

She deleted it soon after.

She sure is...something. What that thing is, I'm not sure.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What the hell would she be at a race for?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

What the hell would she be at a race for?

Her foundation.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I think I'm becoming a fan of Clint Bowyer? http://instagram.com/p/zLiUJ_w9My/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

K&N from New Smyrna apparently airs on NBCSN at 10:30 tonight.

• Locked thread