Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
drat, people were saying that they fixed the scaling in the pre-sequel before, were they wrong? Because I really hate it when games about numbers going up penalize you for actually making the numbers go up (looking at you, Fallout 3 Broken Steel.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, the number scaling is ostensibly fixed which is a good thing (though it does start to balloon again as you approach playthrough 3), but they ported that dumb poo poo from the third playthrough, where every enemy gets a resistance to all elements, over to the second one, which fucks up everything because Pre-Sequel has no slag element to use to make enemies take extra damage. That and the giving-enemies-no-crit-spot thing I complained about earlier make the late game very unfun, even when you're still on the first playthrough.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is it actually resistance to every element or just making the elements more polarized (more damage to the right kind of health and less to everything else)? In BL2 the second playthrough made the elements stronger when matched correctly but weaker when not, then in the third playthrough they just quadrupled everything's HP because they have no loving clue what is a good way to make a game challenging.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's resistance to everything. All elements besides normal and explosive damage (because nothing is weak to explosive) get the little [RESIST!] popup on every enemy. It's not FULL resistance, where the element does basically no damage to the enemy, but they at least halve it and I have to question what the god drat point is besides making it tedious and canceling out half of a whole character's effectiveness.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So that happens even on fire vs. health or electricity vs. shields, etc? What the gently caress?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Tiny Tina is still supremely obnoxious, Janey Springs doesn't shut up nearly fast enough, you can only skip perhaps two cutscenes in the entire game, drop rates are so stingy that single-player is effectively "no orange weapons for me, thanks" mode, and TVHM is somehow more broken and frustrating than ever before.

I got through Borderlands 2's main story without issue, but I couldn't get anywhere in NewGame+ or the DLC after Scarlet's because how stingy they are with weapon drops.
Then I found Cheatengine, raised the drop rate a bunch and suddenly the game was fun and playable again. Turns out a lot of enemies aren't a giant damage sponge when you actually have weapons that are at your level.

I recently finished Tales of Xillia on the PS3 and I feel that the Tales series combat is getting far too complex for its own good. There are so many layered systems on top of each other combining with every character not only having their own unique moves, style and abilities, they also have a link ability with whoever you are controlling. Now throw this into a fast paced 3d environment and I'm simply staring at a bunch of anime people shouting at each other while I'm mashing buttons.
The funny thing is, you can mash buttons for a huge portion of the game and still get through. In Xillia, I didn't know you could switch characters in combat until the last boss. I somehow never read the tutorial for that. I never did figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do in Tales of the Abyss with whatever its battle gimmick was.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The final boss fight in Arkham Asylum: The Joker is hulked out on titan and you're expecting a pretty epic fight. Then he throws you into an arena and watch as his goons tries to kill you. He literally says that he don't want to fight you. And although Batman spraying explosive gel on his knuckles to punch him out it happens in a cutscene where you have no control over him

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CitizenKain posted:

I recently finished Tales of Xillia on the PS3 and I feel that the Tales series combat is getting far too complex for its own good. There are so many layered systems on top of each other combining with every character not only having their own unique moves, style and abilities, they also have a link ability with whoever you are controlling. Now throw this into a fast paced 3d environment and I'm simply staring at a bunch of anime people shouting at each other while I'm mashing buttons.
The funny thing is, you can mash buttons for a huge portion of the game and still get through. In Xillia, I didn't know you could switch characters in combat until the last boss. I somehow never read the tutorial for that. I never did figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to do in Tales of the Abyss with whatever its battle gimmick was.

Xillia 2 is a bit better than the first at it since it's very slanted towards you maining Ludger (and he has 3 styles he swaps between on the fly.)

I very much prefer Graces' combat system myself though where it's not much more complicated than a fighting game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrJacobs posted:

you've never played a 3rd person shooter in the last 12 years? That's why those controls were changed the way they were. And how do they not make sense if you've played peace walker since you went through all the games already?

I have Peacewalker but haven't played it yet as it was released after 4. They got rid of stuff like being able to easily walk silently, now you have to barely push the analogue stick which is irritating for long periods of time. I'm not saying the new controls are bad just that the past 3 games got you insanely used to their terrible old style.

Alhazred posted:

The final boss fight in Arkham Asylum: The Joker is hulked out on titan and you're expecting a pretty epic fight. Then he throws you into an arena and watch as his goons tries to kill you. He literally says that he don't want to fight you. And although Batman spraying explosive gel on his knuckles to punch him out it happens in a cutscene where you have no control over him

Every boss fight in that game is p much identical

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I also really dislike how fast you die in almost every single FPS these days. All the guns are samey and usually only with like a 5-15% variation in dmg or rate of fire and they all kill you in half a second or just instantly if its a headshot.

It promotes twitchskills and I'm personally good at that but its also not as fun imo. I wish shooters would start doing larger healthpools again

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

EmmyOk posted:

I have Peacewalker but haven't played it yet as it was released after 4. They got rid of stuff like being able to easily walk silently, now you have to barely push the analogue stick which is irritating for long periods of time. I'm not saying the new controls are bad just that the past 3 games got you insanely used to their terrible old style.

What? It's easier than ever to walk silently in MGS 4 because of the crouch walk. I'm in the same boat you are, having played through the first 4 games in the past month, and MGS 4 is the best controlling one. It's Peace Walker that gets rid of being able to walk silently, even in the MGS4 control type.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inco posted:

What? It's easier than ever to walk silently in MGS 4 because of the crouch walk. I'm in the same boat you are, having played through the first 4 games in the past month, and MGS 4 is the best controlling one. It's Peace Walker that gets rid of being able to walk silently, even in the MGS4 control type.

I assumed that it would be silent but right at the start some dickhead keeps hearing me, and I don't have my dart gun yet. I'm on Big Boss Hard so maybe enemies hear better? Or maybe I am retardo and he saw me from a distance and then investigated. P sure he mentioned footsteps though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

EmmyOk posted:

I assumed that it would be silent but right at the start some dickhead keeps hearing me, and I don't have my dart gun yet. I'm on Big Boss Hard so maybe enemies hear better? Or maybe I am retardo and he saw me from a distance and then investigated. P sure he mentioned footsteps though.

Maybe he saw your footprints? If you need to be quieter, you can go prone, or walk along a wall. Also, you should have a knife that has a knockout secondary fire. I only played on Liquid Medium, I think, whatever one is just above Big Boss Hard.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I also really dislike how fast you die in almost every single FPS these days. All the guns are samey and usually only with like a 5-15% variation in dmg or rate of fire and they all kill you in half a second or just instantly if its a headshot.

It promotes twitchskills and I'm personally good at that but its also not as fun imo. I wish shooters would start doing larger healthpools again

Hello, Battlefield 4! Why yes, I'd love to wander through your enormous maps for 3 full minutes looking for the action before suddenly dying to some rear end in a top hat 100ft away I could never have seen!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

EmmyOk posted:

Eventually you'll unlock the Sneaking Suit, which is basically game-breaking. All your footsteps are totally silent when wearing it (like The Sorrow's uniform in MGS3). The biggest irk for me when going from MGS4 to Peace Walker was the inability to move while prone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

It seems like every FPS is making the time to kill shorter and shorter every game. Most FPS games feel like someone turned on insta-gib.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

It seems like every FPS is making the time to kill shorter and shorter every game. Most FPS games feel like someone turned on insta-gib.

Well see, if every gun kills you near instantly then there will be no need to actually bother with balancing them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zzulu posted:

DStecks posted:

Hello, Battlefield 4! Why yes, I'd love to wander through your enormous maps for 3 full minutes looking for the action before suddenly dying to some rear end in a top hat 100ft away I could never have seen!

This is one of my biggest problems with battlefield after bad company 2. They wanted to make BF3 more like call of duty so everyone just dies instantly, turning the game into a grinder of shooting people in the back until someone shoots you in the back. If you have a head-on "fight" it amounts to someone popping up in front of you for a tenth of a second and then one of you falls down dead. Repeat for the duration of the round. This has carried through to battlefield hardline so I'm probably done with that series. So disappointing after battlefield 2142 and bad company 2 were incredible.

The games before that did have the same issue though--in 1942 it would be snipers one shotting you from a mile away and in BF2 it would be omnipotent aircraft (the single worst thing about that game).

VVV http://imgur.com/gallery/3wIlg

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Feb 15, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is one of my biggest problems with battlefield after bad company 2. They wanted to make BF3 more like call of duty so everyone just dies instantly, turning the game into a grinder of shooting people in the back until someone shoots you in the back. If you have a head-on "fight" it amounts to someone popping up in front of you for a tenth of a second and then one of you falls down dead. Repeat for the duration of the round. This has carried through to battlefield hardline so I'm probably done with that series. So disappointing after battlefield 2142 and bad company 2 were incredible.

The games before that did have the same issue though--in 1942 it would be snipers one shotting you from a mile away and in BF2 it would be omnipotent aircraft (the single worst thing about that game).

But it's ~realistic~.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CitizenKain posted:

this is why I always prefered Halo to CoD. In Halo unless you were getting shot point blank with a shotgun you at least had a chance to react and try and fight back. In CoD it's basically whoever sees the other person first automatically wins.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is one of my biggest problems with battlefield after bad company 2. They wanted to make BF3 more like call of duty so everyone just dies instantly, turning the game into a grinder of shooting people in the back until someone shoots you in the back.

See, every time I played BC2 I would always either get oneshotted by a sniper halfway across the map or decimated by someone using a vehicle before I could really do anything.

---

So I've been playing Binding of Isaac: Rebirth again. Unlocked the Chaos Card, managed to find it in one playthrough with Maggy. I was doing pretty well considering I didn't have any damage or speed upgrades, but eventually I got to the Necropolis and ran into a room filled with Selfless Knights, which are enemies that can only be damaged from behind. One of the bastards, however, was a champion version, and his gimmick was a gravity pull. Naturally, because I'm playing the slowest character without any upgrades, I can't run away from him when he charges towards me, which ends up taking me down to a half heart. As if that wasn't bad enough, once I finally get away from him, I decide I need to use the card or risk losing the run. So as I'm firing tears at him while backing away trying not to get caught up in his gravity again, I use my card but instead of going towards the direction I'm shooting, it instead gets launched towards the direction I'm walking to, which is to say, right into a wall.

Thanks, McMillen.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

LoonShia posted:

But it's ~realistic~.

It's actually about increasing the pacing of the games, making multiplayer rounds shorter and just have things happening faster. It's more immediate satisfaction. It works well in games like the BF and CoD series because it's easy to get into and is fun on a significantly more basic level. Your average person can much more get into "Go into ironsights, snap onto enemy, shoot, kill." than the insane back and forth, headshotting, map awareness, and etc. of something on a competitive level like Counter-Strike. They're catering to a certain audience and it works. At least, it will for a little while longer until the well runs dry.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DStecks posted:

Fallout 3/NV is honestly not that bad, more satisfying than some legit shooters I've played. VATS was also really well balanced in my experience, not being too powerful or too necessary for combat like it easily could have been.

I'd agree with that for NV to an extent (its still bad but better) but in the third game I'd go I to VATS and take missiles straight in my big dumb vault dwelling face because you get like 99% damage reduction while in it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

It's actually about increasing the pacing of the games, making multiplayer rounds shorter and just have things happening faster. It's more immediate satisfaction. It works well in games like the BF and CoD series because it's easy to get into and is fun on a significantly more basic level. Your average person can much more get into "Go into ironsights, snap onto enemy, shoot, kill." than the insane back and forth, headshotting, map awareness, and etc. of something on a competitive level like Counter-Strike. They're catering to a certain audience and it works. At least, it will for a little while longer until the well runs dry.

But it doesn't work in Battlefield. it works excellently in CoD, because every aspect of CoD multiplayer is tailored to create a singular experience: rapidfire gameplay with quick rewards for success and minimal punishment for failure. CoD is completely built around the hot streak: that moment where the stars align and things just go right for you and you become a human wrecking ball; CoD is built to make that moment as satisfying as possible when it happens, and the rest of the game as painless as possible when it's not happening, because it knows a streak like that might only happen once a round. So rounds are short, life is cheap, and respawns are instant. It works, it works really well.

Battlefield on the other hand is inherently slower paced if it wants to still be Battlefield. The hallmark of BF is vehicles, and vehicles require a much larger mapsize than CoD allows to be worthwhile, or even viable. So the maps need to be big, making travel slow unless you got a vehicle. BF could solve this by giving everybody a vehicle, but this is not what they've chosen to done, because it conflicts with how they balance multiplayer maps. Fair enough. The problem is in trying to recreate the satisfaction of playing CoD within the framework of BF: what DICE doesn't seem to get is that CoD is a lot more than just quick kills, they don't get that the CoD experience is the result of the sum total of every design choice, and that you cannot replicate another game's fun by copying one aspect of that game into your fundamentally different game. They don't get that even if you make respawns instant, the map size still makes each death a massive time penalty, unless players choose to take a gamble and spawn on a squadmate- which can easily be instant death.

Basically what I'm saying is that game design is holistic: you can't copy one aspect of a game and expect it to make your game more like that game: what you'll get is a completely different experience, because every gameplay system exists in the same space.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DStecks posted:

But it doesn't work in Battlefield. it works excellently in CoD, because every aspect of CoD multiplayer is tailored to create a singular experience: rapidfire gameplay with quick rewards for success and minimal punishment for failure. CoD is completely built around the hot streak: that moment where the stars align and things just go right for you and you become a human wrecking ball; CoD is built to make that moment as satisfying as possible when it happens, and the rest of the game as painless as possible when it's not happening, because it knows a streak like that might only happen once a round. So rounds are short, life is cheap, and respawns are instant. It works, it works really well.

Battlefield on the other hand is inherently slower paced if it wants to still be Battlefield. The hallmark of BF is vehicles, and vehicles require a much larger mapsize than CoD allows to be worthwhile, or even viable. So the maps need to be big, making travel slow unless you got a vehicle. BF could solve this by giving everybody a vehicle, but this is not what they've chosen to done, because it conflicts with how they balance multiplayer maps. Fair enough. The problem is in trying to recreate the satisfaction of playing CoD within the framework of BF: what DICE doesn't seem to get is that CoD is a lot more than just quick kills, they don't get that the CoD experience is the result of the sum total of every design choice, and that you cannot replicate another game's fun by copying one aspect of that game into your fundamentally different game. They don't get that even if you make respawns instant, the map size still makes each death a massive time penalty, unless players choose to take a gamble and spawn on a squadmate- which can easily be instant death.

Basically what I'm saying is that game design is holistic: you can't copy one aspect of a game and expect it to make your game more like that game: what you'll get is a completely different experience, because every gameplay system exists in the same space.

Thats some of the issues with Planetside 2, you can die in about a quarter of a second and it takes 15 seconds to respawn (only instant respawns are from a beacon every minute or back to the warpgate). It is entirely possible in those rare instances where defenders are actually defending and not just spawn room heroing that when the base flips and the attackers finish off the defenders they can be at the next base before the defenders can even respawn.

It also makes trying to break into any sort of chokepoint, cause its too hard to put multiple entries in a base (ironically enough, the biggest bases are the ones who have 1-2 chokepoints meanwhile smaller bases will have 4 or more), a pain in the rear end cause you get instantly killed when you round a corner and the people defending the chokepoint have infinite ammo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I recently picked up FFX HD Remaster and I had forgotten just how bad the clothing in this game is. One character is wearing assless legwear with a thong. Who decided that was a good call?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Leal posted:

Thats some of the issues with Planetside 2, you can die in about a quarter of a second and it takes 15 seconds to respawn (only instant respawns are from a beacon every minute or back to the warpgate). It is entirely possible in those rare instances where defenders are actually defending and not just spawn room heroing that when the base flips and the attackers finish off the defenders they can be at the next base before the defenders can even respawn.

It also makes trying to break into any sort of chokepoint, cause its too hard to put multiple entries in a base (ironically enough, the biggest bases are the ones who have 1-2 chokepoints meanwhile smaller bases will have 4 or more), a pain in the rear end cause you get instantly killed when you round a corner and the people defending the chokepoint have infinite ammo.

I didn't really feel the same about PS2 - in many ways, I consider it as doing it right when it comes to requiring just long enough to kill someone that they can dive around a corner to get away, and it's really satisfying to '1 versus 1' someone as either assault-class.

What I don't like (and I don't know if they've changed it back, since it's been a while, but I doubt it) is how they've basically removed the ability to have 'side battles' - you used to more or less be able to attack any base anywhere, as long as you could get people in (though, because you were at a significant disadvantage when cut off from your respawn points, you usually still got 'borders')
Then they changed the system to require what I think of as 'supply-lines' between bases, so only a few points could be conquered at any given time.

I used to enjoy finding somewhere that there was a major battle going on, gathering a group of bored-yet-competent (maybe not skilled, but competent) soldiers, and then going off to harass some other base while the enemy was busy.
Heck, it was what I was best at - I don't know if the people I fought against were just bad, or if they'd come geared for war while I came geared for duels, but I won most fights... After I compensated for my weaknesses (shorter-range weapon to compensate for not hitting the broad side of a barn at longer range, health-regen supplies to compensate for not having a medic (and a tendency to face-tank), enemy-highlighting scope to compensate for being awful at seeing the enemy)
I have next to no interest in the presumed main draw of PS2, namely the large-scale battles - but as long as I had the ability to help my team by drawing off enemy forces to defend against my squad of saboteurs, I was having fun.

Another annoyance (I'm sure it's a breach of etiquette to moan about more than one thing, but this' something that's never going to be fixed, so it hardly counts) is the restrictions on camouflage - specifically, that you have to clearly show your team-colors at all times.
I somewhat got around it with finding the least obvious of the decos (I believe it was some sort of digital forest look) but I was still covered in splotches of red that made me visible at a long distance.
It's not like the game doesn't already signal who's friend or foe, I just want pure deco for two reasons: 1) That moment of uncertainty when they first see me and have to look for a name-tag (which is enough to win against an identical opponent, and makes the game more tense since you have to be ready to shoot at a moment's notice), and 2) The ability to actually be camouflaged at long distances, rather than looking like someone's dumped a bucket of red paint over my head (I mean, the bloody Vanu get dark-purple suits so that at night they're practically invisible at longer than arm's length! I just want to be vaguely rock-colored so I'm slightly difficult to spot at the other end of a valley)

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Len posted:

I recently picked up FFX HD Remaster and I had forgotten just how bad the clothing in this game is. One character is wearing assless legwear with a thong. Who decided that was a good call?

http://www.somethingawful.com/fashion-swat/game-swat/2/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Len posted:

Yet the same team designed Auron and Jecht who are badass as heck

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yet the same team designed Auron and Jecht who are badass as heck

well duh, they're guys

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

Some Japanese person.

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

Your Gay Uncle posted:

this is why I always prefered Halo to CoD. In Halo unless you were getting shot point blank with a shotgun you at least had a chance to react and try and fight back. In CoD it's basically whoever sees the other person first automatically wins.

this has been mitigated in AW with the addition of boost capabilities

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Some Japanese person.

Specifically Tetsuya Nomura, who you may also know as the director of the Kingdom Hearts series. The fact that most of the characters in that series were designed by other people didn't stop him stuffing zippers and belts on everyone up to and including Donald Duck.

Anyway, thing dragging down Sunless Sea for me is the victory conditions. I picked 'get rich' on a whim on my 5th successive captain, was pleasantly surprised when he didn't die horribly, then disappointed when I realised my options were either to die and start again with my kid or go mad shipping sunlight until I get 30,000 echoes. Would it really have been so unreasonable to allow you to change your goal, or at least tell you what each ambition involves before you start?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Someday, I hope we get a character wearing a getup made entirely of zippers.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

scarycave posted:

This was one of the first results on google image for "Tetsuya Nomura zippers" and I'm pretty sure I saw this exact character in some concept art at some point.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

scarycave posted:

They already did the "skirt made entirely of belts" so I'd imagine this can't be far behind. The best part is cosplayers trying to recreate it and finding out that wearing so many belts is really loving heavy.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Kimmalah posted:

They already did the "skirt made entirely of belts" so I'd imagine this can't be far behind. The best part is cosplayers trying to recreate it and finding out that wearing so many belts is really loving heavy.

Models are apparently already showing off zipper-only outfits, so our only hope would be that FF does it first so we can laugh at them for mimicking a stupid game-outfit, instead of being the usual 'outsiders' laughing because we don't 'get' fashion.
Doesn't actually matter, of course.

aerion111 has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Feb 16, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Her skirt was made entirely of belts because Nomura wanted to test the modelers to see if they could get the exact arrangement and layout of the belts exactly right each time. In response, the modelers took every opportunity they could to not show her from the waist down during pre-rendered CGI cutscenes.

because the healthiest working relationship is one built out of pissing contests and spite

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
The second I heard Nomura wasn't involved in FFXV was the first time I have been near anything resembling interest in a final fantasy game in a long loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alouicious posted:

Her skirt was made entirely of belts because Nomura wanted to test the modelers to see if they could get the exact arrangement and layout of the belts exactly right each time. In response, the modelers took every opportunity they could to not show her from the waist down during pre-rendered CGI cutscenes.
And in the HD remaster it becomes painfully obvious that she has a single thigh modelled under that skirt and otherwise hovers in the air like Orko.