Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Zore posted:

the only reason they were hard or long was because people sucked

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
People who say games should Always or Never do anything, whether it's having boss fights or not having boss fights, are usually dummies

And yeah Nintendo handhelds are successful because they've been making the best ones by a substantial margin since the original Game Boy

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Double Dragon II had the best boss fight because you fought a shadow of yourself! Shadow Link was good in Zelda also.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Where's my man Abobo at?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I've also seen articles where game journalists get upset at the concept of a boss fight. I wonder if that contributes to anything. I bet if I posted this on some shithole like NeoGAF or The Escapist, I'd find idiots coming out of the woodwork to say "Oh, boss fights aren't cinematic. They're a relic of the past."

This is a big part of the issue.

Thing is, there's a kernel of truth in this. Not every game needs boss fights. Deus Ex: Human Revolution would have been a better game if it entirely lacked boss fights, for example. It just didn't need them, and the ones they implemented were implemented poorly. There's a lot to be said for doing away with having boss fights just for the sake of boss fights.

But then came the articles (and wannabe-intellectuals who agree with those articles) saying that boss fights as a whole are bad and shouldn't be included. They're not "cinematic," or they "don't serve the narrative," or something like that. So the idea that boss fights in general are bad game design proliferates. Then you get developers who remove boss fights (because they're not cinematic enough for their super cinematic third-person shooter) and then don't bother to replace them with anything interesting, and you end up with several years' worth of big-budget game releases with really unsatisfying conclusions.

It's one of those trends that I hope passes soon so that games that should have boss fights start having them again, and games that shouldn't have something equally satisfying in their place.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Alain Post posted:

are there any FPSes with final bosses that you'd actually call good (instead of memorable, I guess? I freaking love Hans Grosse and Robo-Hitler but they aren't exactly the deepest fights in the history of FPS gaming)

I've always been partial to the Makron from Quake 2. That was a cool FPS boss fight, despite being a 'conventional' battle.

SunAndSpring posted:

So, I've been noticing a lot of video games recently seem to have two recurring flaws. One, they're too loving short and yet cost 50-60 dollars for some reason. But that's another topic. Two, all bosses or the very final boss is a Quick Time Event.

Dying Light? Your final fight is with an armless dude and you hit 10 buttons. Shadow of Mordor? You beat Sauron, the Lord of the god drat Rings, within the span of 10 seconds and 5 button presses. And I hear that The Order: 1886 also ends itself with a QTE instead of anything satisfying. I thought the whole point of a final fight was to use everything you learned in the game and have a good time. I don't understand how making you watch a cutscene where some goofy evil bastard who takes himself too seriously monologues and occasionally you have to press the A or X button a few times is fun. Do you guys know why this is the case? Is it really that hard for people to beat a video game that they gotta make the bosses easy?

Personally I think there's been a general downward slide in boss battles over time. It used to be that it took a lot of skill, patience and practice to beat bosses - they were a test of just how good you were at the game and you had to pay constant attention to dodge their attacks and get in hits of your own.

Then I found a lot of them changed to 'puzzle bosses', which were completely invulnerable to anything but a bunch of very specific environmental things (which conveniently were located in their lairs) and the whole battle was a total cakewalk once you figured out what you needed to do to kill it.

And now they're at QTEs, which is like a puzzle boss but without the puzzle part.

I honestly don't understand the downward slide either, other than people not liking a challenge.

You could just play my Warcraft III campaign, OP. I didn't wuss out on the boss battles in that one.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 16, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

This is a big part of the issue.

Thing is, there's a kernel of truth in this. Not every game needs boss fights. Deus Ex: Human Revolution would have been a better game if it entirely lacked boss fights, for example. It just didn't need them, and the ones they implemented were implemented poorly. There's a lot to be said for doing away with having boss fights just for the sake of boss fights.

But then came the articles (and wannabe-intellectuals who agree with those articles) saying that boss fights as a whole are bad and shouldn't be included. They're not "cinematic," or they "don't serve the narrative," or something like that. So the idea that boss fights in general are bad game design proliferates. Then you get developers who remove boss fights (because they're not cinematic enough for their super cinematic third-person shooter) and then don't bother to replace them with anything interesting, and you end up with several years' worth of big-budget game releases with really unsatisfying conclusions.

It's one of those trends that I hope passes soon so that games that should have boss fights start having them again, and games that shouldn't have something equally satisfying in their place.

It's funny because boss fights do serve the narrative because narrative is more than just writing, see The Boss, Claus, Jergingha, etc

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm surprised nobody has argued for MMO bossfights here. I haven't played MMO's in like 5-6 years, but they usually had some real thought put into a lot of those fights.
Disclaimer: Speaking mostly from WoW and Rift experience.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dark souls has amazing and fun boss fights. Also monster hunter is a game that is basically pure boss fights.

Both are Japanese and its actually hard to think of a good western developed game with good boss fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

It's funny because boss fights do serve the narrative because narrative is more than just writing, see The Boss, Claus, Jergingha, etc

Oh absolutely.

It's just that a lot of recent games have pretenses of being "realistic," and having a boss fight where you have to shoot some human a bunch of times, no matter how fun that is, isn't "realistic." (Let's ignore that the player character is often a bullet sponge himself and "realism" doesn't matter there, but oh well. Actually I'd love to see a game like Uncharted but the final boss is just another rear end in a top hat who plays by the same rules the player does and can regenerate by hiding behind things, but that's beside the point.) Or sometimes there are situations where the game's plot dictates that the final battle not play by the rest of the game's rules, and rather than making an awesome boss fight out of that (see MGS4), they turn it into a long series of QTEs (see a list of games too long to include here).

But there are tons of boss fights, like the ones you listed, that really do make the story better. I'd say the experience of fighting, say, Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising absolutely made the overall experience of that game's ending better for me. Or out-stealthing and out-CQCing the Boss in MGS3--that entire sequence is memorable, including the fight itself. I'm sure there's a long list of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 bosses that didn't need to be there, but I think there's an equally long list of bosses from those games that enhance the entire experience of playing.

Basically, boss fights work best when they're used well, which is a super simplistic way of putting it. Don't overuse boss fights, or they'll lose their meaning; at the same time, don't shun them just because other games overused boss fights if you don't have something equally satisfying and appropriate to challenge the player with.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I'm surprised nobody has argued for MMO bossfights here. I haven't played MMO's in like 5-6 years, but they usually had some real thought put into a lot of those fights.
Disclaimer: Speaking mostly from WoW and Rift experience.

Of the few MMOs I've played, it's really only WoW and Tera that have done boss fights semi-decently. WoW actually tried to make them action game boss fights, albeit there's still the issue of heal spam being just an accepted thing, and Tera is basically just Monster Hunter and athat's hard to mess up.

GW2 has terrible boss fights.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
God of War 3 had a pretty cool boss fight especially the part where you're punching Zeus' face in and the game just lets you punch for as long as you want and the only way to progress is to stop punching.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Probably at least part of the reason for more QTEs is that sometimes the devs want to show off a cool set-piece sequence they came up with. If QTE's not used excessively, I'm perfectly fine with this.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

-Troika- posted:

Probably at least part of the reason for more QTEs is that sometimes the devs want to show off a cool set-piece sequence they came up with. If QTE's not used excessively, I'm perfectly fine with this.

I mean, people are slobbering all over Platinum ITT and Bayonetta had some truly terrible QTEs especially outside the bossfights

QTEs are like anything else, it's all how you use them

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
The Arkham games have had some pretty good boss fights. Mr Freeze from City particularly stands out, as does the Dr. Strange predator section. Firefly in Origins is a really cool fight, but not particularly difficult. The real star of that game is Deathstroke, though. Too bad it takes place so early in the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I mean, people are slobbering all over Platinum ITT and Bayonetta had some truly terrible QTEs especially outside the bossfights

QTEs are like anything else, it's all how you use them

Bayo's QTEs are really bad, but MGR and W101's are really good. I mean, the devs clearly learned from that

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Because most games blow most of their budget on graphics and gameplay takes a backburner to making things look really good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Looper posted:

Bayo's QTEs are really bad, but MGR and W101's are really good. I mean, the devs clearly learned from that

I think it works in MGR since you already get button prompts for finishing moves in the base game anyway, so it doesn't feel as awkward.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I remember Giants: Citizen Kabuto being a Western game with a good final boss fight, complete with fake credits like someone mentioned Bayonetta having.

This was also pretty good, although the guy playing it sucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFHDM08peho

Nition fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 17, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wolfenstein: The New Order had some pretty cool boss fights.

The last boss was a fitting tribute to Mecha Hitler while still doing its own thing. It has two stages, one which is the traditional 'puzzle' fight (you have to destroy Zeppelins that are powering his shield, then beat the crap out of him) but the last fight is a proper arena fight with just you vs him.

Most western boss fights suck. Even Quake had some terrible ones. Shub-Niggurath was terrible, if you consider killing him to be the actual fight and not the million enemies you have to kill to begin with.

e: Final boss of The New Order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Ipw5dvBfU

It's been a while since I've played Wolfenstein (the one before this) but I remember some of the boss fights in that being pretty cool too.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 17, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Alain Post posted:

I think it works in MGR since you already get button prompts for finishing moves in the base game anyway, so it doesn't feel as awkward.

MGR did a good job of matching the QTEs to the normal inputs. I can think of a few weird ones like pressing the jump button to kick Armstrong out of his elbow drop, but most of them work better than that. Blade mode was also really good for that because it let them use a dynamic and familiar game mechanic in the middle of a QTE, instead of just playing simon says

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Japanese developers generally seem more at ease putting mechanics at the forefront and designing games around cool encounters and challenges rather easily completable 'content' and scripted sequences, I think western bossfights being bad is to an extent just a side effect of western games having trash, boring design all over, especially as most of the honourable exceptions (Baldur's Gate, Metroid Prime, Doom to name a few) are design heavy games themselves

but but but my game is ~*art~*!!! pay special attention to the vaguely libertarian 7th grade level analysis of American history

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ddraig posted:

The last boss was a fitting tribute to Mecha Hitler while still doing its own thing. It has two stages, one which is the traditional 'puzzle' fight (you have to destroy Zeppelins that are powering his shield, then beat the crap out of him) but the last fight is a proper arena fight with just you vs him.

One sucky part about the second phase is that the boss is completely immune to damage whenever he plays his "you just did some damage to me" animation, so the most effective way to fight him is to fire a rocket or two, wait for that animation to finish up, then fire another rocket or two. They should just let you go all-out at that point instead.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

but but but my game is ~*art~*!!! pay special attention to the vaguely libertarian 7th grade level analysis of American history

I'm having flashbacks to Bioshock: Infinite and that lovely fight with the ghost mom now, thanks.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The fact that people are basically just using action platformers or cinematic beat'em ups as having the best boss fights here might lead credence to the argument that some types of games are easier to make good/interesting fights for.

Personally I never liked the cinematic stuff like they use in Bayonetta, God/Gears of war and the likes. I much prefer games where you are 100% in control of your character during the fights, even if it makes them less flashy(See Serious Sam, the Zelda games etc etc...).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm having flashbacks to Bioshock: Infinite and that lovely fight with the ghost mom now, thanks.

glad that came across

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 17, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

The fact that people are basically just using action platformers or cinematic beat'em ups as having the best boss fights here might lead credence to the argument that some types of games are easier to make good/interesting fights for.

This is part of why MMO boss fights impress me a lot more than the stuff in an action platformer where you have one player with a precisely known, fairly minimal ability set

Like WoW bosses are rarely incredible but it has got to be so difficult to design a good one without just copying one that already exists

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just want more boss fights where 2 dudes punch each other's fists as fast and hard as they can

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The Deathstroke bossfight in Arkham Origins was god drat A-grade, even if the rest of the game wasn't. Well, see ya

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Geight posted:

One sucky part about the second phase is that the boss is completely immune to damage whenever he plays his "you just did some damage to me" animation, so the most effective way to fight him is to fire a rocket or two, wait for that animation to finish up, then fire another rocket or two. They should just let you go all-out at that point instead.

Is this correct? They may have changed it but I remember beating him on Death Incarnate by just unloading everything at him. Didn't seem to matter much if he was in the 'I'm hurt' animation.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Games with boss fights are so 1990's.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ddraig posted:

Is this correct? They may have changed it but I remember beating him on Death Incarnate by just unloading everything at him. Didn't seem to matter much if he was in the 'I'm hurt' animation.

I am pretty certain this is the case based on my own experience and what people were saying in the thread back when the game was new, but it wouldn't be the first time myself and many other goons have been collectively wrong about a thing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Uncharted games are cool fun platformy shooty games but every single game has ended with a boss fight and every single game it's pretty much dropped the ball.
The first game ends with you shooting through mooks to get to the final bad guy who's sniping at you, and it's not too bad because it flows with the existing game mechanics and the final QTE is literally the exact same three-hit combo you've used all game. Uninspired but not terrible.
Then the second game had not one, but two ridiculous bosses in it. The mid-game boss is a bullet sponge that absolutely must 100% have an arbitrary amount of damage done to him before he has to die via QTE and he's never mentioned again. The final boss was a ridiculous race around the arena shooting at blue glowing objects.
The third game was a QTE punchfest and I didn't understand why they didn't just have the punching go naturally within the cool environment, making the player actively jump from section to section, instead of making it happen in a QTE half the time.

Naughty Dog you made the Crash Bandicoot games, why did you mess up boss fights in your action game.

At least the Last of Us only had boss fights in the form of Bloaters which are killed with a single molotov, and David, which was fun in a stealth gimmick way.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Far Cry 3 probably had the worst boss fights of any game in recent memory

drat what a bad boss fight, i said after all of the qte-mashing-bullshit

the big ooga booga voodoo god guy was bad too

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Alain Post posted:

are there any FPSes with final bosses that you'd actually call good (instead of memorable, I guess? I freaking love Hans Grosse and Robo-Hitler but they aren't exactly the deepest fights in the history of FPS gaming)

Hahaha gently caress no. The best one I can think of was the gigantic final boss of Serious Sam 1 but even that one wasn't stellar or anything.

The best final boss of all time was Mike Tyson. More games need to have a colorful cast of stereotypes that leads up to a real world champion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really liked the boss fights in Dishonored. You could fight or stealth them if you wanted to. You could even run away from one and skip the other entirely if you avoided the crazy old woman completely. There was no real last boss fight and that was fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SunAndSpring posted:

I still have trouble believing this was actually a thing that happened and not some stress hallucination on my part. Its so baffling and ridiculous.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Indie game, but Tower of guns final boss battle was pretty drat great

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The best part about Deus Ex: Human Revolution was how the game encouraged stealth gameplay and then threw boss fights at you that almost required brute force, so you were hosed if you actually played stealthy.

Did the final boss in that game have that problem too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gears of War 3 had a really lovely final boss. It felt like a MMO raid. You shoot the weakpoint things to make the boss weak, then you do the exact same thing a total of 3 times. Why is it always 3 times?

• Locked thread