Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you're willing to call any of the Prime games bad, then piss up a rope. your opinion is not valued here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

perhaps it will be like eva, where i approach it several decades too late and come to appreciate it over time

Yah, because, like Eva, prime looks better than 95% of games zincs it's release, despite being built on tech from 1999/2000.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

If you're willing to call any of the Prime games bad, then piss up a rope. your opinion is not valued here

Well maybe Prime 2 isn't bad. It's just gay

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

prime 3's insistence on using the grapple lasso during combat is annoying, but not on the level of similar bad design decisions in prime 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Hunters single player is bad

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Looper posted:

Hunters single player is bad

I'll give you that. Prime pinball is good though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

prime 1 is amazing. prime 1 is so good id probably etch it into my tomb. prime 1 is a game eevry human ever needs to experience

prime 2 and 3 are games that have some serious emotional highs and lows for me and they couldve been handled a lot better but weren't.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess some games do this, but there aren't a lot of FPS games that do the metroid exploration experience. generally they're on-rails with a bit of backtracking to establish narrative consistency

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
probably because most fpses tend towards mostly moving forward thru hallways without much vertial movement except for in gimmick levels

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's tough to follow up on something like Metroid Prime. 2 and 3 are good but flawed games, but 1 is on another level

Evil Eagle posted:

prime pinball is an excellent pinball video game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i feel like they caught lightning in a bottle with MP1, where it was essentially super metroid in 3D. MP2 and 3 tried to be different, sometimes trying a bit too hard and it didn't work in their favor

i just want to know who qa tested MP3, being manhandled by the story back and forth and even being forced to backtrack in skytown not for an item but just to watch some lovely cutscene and thought "this is fine"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won't hate you for not liking 2. Maybe for not liking prime 1 maybe I would

Dec 26, 2012

1 > 2 > 3 but all are good

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Evil Eagle posted:

I was amazed how short it was, I beat it within an hour. Like it probably took me as long to beat Sonic Spinball.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rude Lion Guns posted:

oh yeah, the dark world gets significantly better/more interesting once you get the dark suit, but yeah those transition screens suuuuck. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to make them unskippable!

those transition scenes are unskippable because they are disguising the gamecube/wii loading the new area.

metroid prime 1 also did this but they were extremely clever about it, with the exception of that one door before the area you fight ridley you'd think the whole game is just magically loaded all of the time. big complicated rooms were always preceded by little hallways for you to walk through while the system was working its rear end off trying to deliver the big tree room to you in time, for example. and big tileset changes were hidden behind long elevator rides.

in MP2 and MP3 they simply weren't as smart about it so you're forced to watch "elevator cutscenes" like every 10 minutes and it reaaaally breaks up the action

e: hell mp3 was a check the wii couldn't cash because you were constantly waiting tens of seconds for doors to open new areas and poo poo. it's way faster now that it's digital but that was awful

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 16, 2015

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's not on sale anymore. thanks for the useless, outdated info. gently caress you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

This thread took me to the Fark World :dukedog:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fark Samus

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man what is retro studios working on right now? I absolutely love the art of this game, but it looks so terrible in 480p on an HDTV. Even if they were making an HD version of the 3 games, I would buy it again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Man what is retro studios working on right now? I absolutely love the art of this game, but it looks so terrible in 480p on an HDTV. Even if they were making an HD version of the 3 games, I would buy it again.

If you mean current retro, they're probably making more donkey kong. If you mean the retro team that made Metroid Prime, they made a completely forgettable batman game for Vita/3DS and then fell off the face of the planet because no one bought it

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I started playing 3 and was getting into it but I'm stuck against a bug. Whenver I exit my ship in one of the areas of Bryyo, I try to walk toward the door out of the landing room and the game kinda freezes. Samus keeps moving in the direction she was pointed at and keeps trying to walk through a wall, the music loops over a second, and the game doesn't respond to any inputs from wiimote or gamepad. I have to unplug the WiiU to reset everything.

Man I really like 3 and wanted to play it, gently caress :(

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

If you mean current retro, they're probably making more donkey kong. If you mean the retro team that made Metroid Prime, they made a completely forgettable batman game for Vita/3DS and then fell off the face of the planet because no one bought it

What? Only a few people from Retro were a part of that Batman game and Nintendo has strongly hinted at Retro making another Metroid game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

What? Only a few people from Retro were a part of that Batman game and Nintendo has strongly hinted at Retro making another Metroid game.

The game director, tech director and art director all left Retro after Prime 3

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My favorite part of that lovely Batman game was that they used the Metroid Prime 3D map system to represent 2D levels so it is loving confusing as hell to figure out where you are supposed to go in it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The game director, tech director and art director all left Retro after Prime 3

...who then went on to make a lovely Batman game so clearly they weren't the talent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think that's fair because a mobile side story batman game would be lovely no matter who made it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fair enough.

But then it's not like the new DKC games Retro made were bad or anything so it's still a little weird to worry about those three people being absent.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

RELEVANT:

we have morphball tech. the space pirates would be proud

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

i've never played these but dolphin actually works on my new PC should i play these?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

i've never played these but dolphin actually works on my new PC should i play these?

Yes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

youre actually obligated to play the first one, as a gamer.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Probably yeah

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

cool thanks gamers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bobnumerotres posted:

youre actually obligated to play the first one, as a gamer.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

aside from bosses, is it possible to screw yourself out of 100% scans? im missing one pirate data, and one or two random creatures (i assume the last three are the final bosses), and a few research entries. i have the phazon suit at this point, and I have two artifacts left to get.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

aside from bosses, is it possible to screw yourself out of 100% scans? im missing one pirate data, and one or two random creatures (i assume the last three are the final bosses), and a few research entries. i have the phazon suit at this point, and I have two artifacts left to get.
Did you get the Ice Shriekbats? Both types of turret? The parasites on the frigate? Map station? Did you get both the hive and the wasps in the two wasp bosses? Did you get Flaghraa and Flaghraa's Tentacles?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you get the Ice Shriekbats? Both types of turret? The parasites on the frigate? Map station? Did you get both the hive and the wasps in the two wasp bosses? Did you get Flaghraa and Flaghraa's Tentacles?

No. Yes. I think so. No. Pretty sure. Yes.

Rude Lion Guns
May 7, 2008

mabels big day posted:

yeah, there's one missable lore entry (a pirate data in the intro section) and a couple of enemies that only appear a couple of times. I think the chozo artifact hints are also missable?? I don't remember if you have to collect them in a specific order or not to get all of the scans.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the pirate data i am missing is the one after "fall of zebes" and before "contact", so i assume its one i missed in the ding dang intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Lion Guns
May 7, 2008
fall of zebes is definitely on the intro frigate--the last one is prob in the phazon mines?

anyways while missing all of the scans sucked in the gcn version, scans actually carry over across playthroughs in the wii u version, meaning that you just get another chance to play an ownage game

• Locked thread