Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

It's to theoretically control the location of the spark better for ignitability. The spark preferentially goes to edges, so having the V-groove means the spark preferentially sparks towards the center of the plug, rather than all around the edges. It's not an anti-fouling measure.

Will it make any difference if I use one or the other on a 1.3L engine with 88 horsepower and 200,000km?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Memento posted:

ATF, just like every other fluid in your car, breaks down over time. 11 years is far longer than you should be leaving anything in your car. ATF contains all sorts of detergents, anti-oxidising agents and lubricants that will lose their ability to do their job over time. I wouldn't put a sealed bottle of ATF that was 11 years old in my car's transmission, and yours is not only that old, it's also been heated up and cooled down several hundred times, which also accelerates chemical change.

So yes, it could have easily damaged your transmission. This could be one of those things where changing the fluid and the filter is all it needs for another 11 years at 2.7k/year, or you could do that, and it progressively gets worse until the transmission stops engaging altogether. There's no real way of knowing on an internet forum.

I've left it at the shop for them to change out the ATF tomorrow. We'll see what they say. The flush service was $200 plus tax but I'm not sure if it's a change-out or an actual machine flush.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

melon cat posted:

Just following up on my smashed side-mirror.

I tried to remove that black panel (circled in green). But had no luck getting it off after an hour of swearing and fighting with it. Then, I heard the crackle of plastic, so I stopped pulling at it. I tried pulling it off both by hand and through the use of a slotted screwdriver. but only the top corner was coming off.

Also- how do I determine if my sideview mirror is a heated one? Just asking for when I order a replacement piece online (there are heated and non-heated versions). I noticed two cables attached to the mirror glass's rear (circled in red). Does this indicate that the mirror is heated?

:negative:

I'd pull that plastic off. Worst case is you break it and have to find one in a junkyard for $5. Best case is that it's held on by those little trim clips that run 3 for a buck and the crackling you hear is the sound they make as they come free.

I would guess the wires indicate a heated mirror...does your car have heated mirrors? Seems like there would be a switch or something for that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Godholio posted:

I would guess the wires indicate a heated mirror...does your car have heated mirrors? Seems like there would be a switch or something for that.

The folks' Subaru's heated side mirrors and wipers activate with the rear defroster. No separate button. I can see how one wouldn't know for sure.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Slavvy posted:

Will it make any difference if I use one or the other on a 1.3L engine with 88 horsepower and 200,000km?

Maybe if you have a bunch of fancy machinery and test for COV :D

(No)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

Unless you're running literally an F1 engine, it won't make a difference in performance (and even then it's minor).

Just use normal copper plugs if you don't give a drat, platinums/iridiums if you don't wanna have to change em for 3-4 years. Multi-electrode whatever is pretty much universally a gimmick.

gvibes posted:

I saw a car in the parking lot with one of the five wheels lugs missing. Is that as much of a death trap as I think it is?

Rear wheel on a volvo xc90 in the unlikely event it matters.

One out of five is fine, it could make the rotors wear unevenly due to uneven stress but other than that the wheel's not gonna fall off. Rule of thumb is half minus one can usually go missing with no real issues, maybe minus 2 if it's a heavy duty truck (so 1 of 4, 2 of 5 or 6, etc).

OTOH, lug nuts are cheap, so an owner not replacing them can be a sign of other issues.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 17, 2015

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

melon cat posted:

I tried to remove that black panel (circled in green). But had no luck getting it off after an hour of swearing and fighting with it. Then, I heard the crackle of plastic, so I stopped pulling at it. I tried pulling it off both by hand and through the use of a slotted screwdriver. but only the top corner was coming off.

By a Haynes or Chilton manual. They're cheap on Ebay. I have to pull off the door panel on my car to take that trim piece off.

And, once you get another mirror just spray paint them both black. That's what I did on my car when I got a non-matching salvage mirror. Nobody is the wiser.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

melon cat posted:

Also- how do I determine if my sideview mirror is a heated one? Just asking for when I order a replacement piece online (there are heated and non-heated versions). I noticed two cables attached to the mirror glass's rear (circled in red). Does this indicate that the mirror is heated?

Were you trying to get it off with the door open? Can't quite tell from the photo but the plastic may be pressed against the door frame. Heated mirror glass typically has the plugs in the back of the glass like that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Uthor posted:

The folks' Subaru's heated side mirrors and wipers activate with the rear defroster. No separate button. I can see how one wouldn't know for sure.

Fair enough, I've never had heated mirrors. Hell, neither of my vehicles even has power windows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

two_beer_bishes posted:

98 Civic, how important is the exhaust manifold heat shield? It's been rattling and driving my wife crazy, and a new one is $60-80 that I'd much rather spend on anything else. Mostly highway driving, never park in tall grass.

It's not that important. It unbolts pretty easily (if the bolts aren't seized). The clearcoat on the hood will probably peel a bit faster directly above it, but being a 98 Civic, I'd be amazed if it has much clearcoat left.

I ripped mine off on my 96 Civic when it started rattling, and drove it for a couple more years like that. Recently ripped the one off of my Saturn as well due to rattling, found out it was rattling because it had cracked (the shield, not the manifold).

melon cat posted:

How difficult is it to replace a side view mirror? And roughly what kind of cost can I expect for an OEM replacement mirror?

Check Amazon, you'll be surprised how many car parts are on there. I've found power mirrors on there for $30 before. Heated will run a little more.

Obviously not OEM, but they worked just fine. They won't be painted though, so factor in taking them to a paint shop.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Would a shorted pair stop all the speakers from working? The balance is fine on the head unit I even reset it.

It could, but most head units would show "PROTECT" or some kind of error.

Try disconnecting all but 1 speaker at the head unit end.

Bovril Delight posted:

Get a dynaplug.

How have I not heard of these before? Getting one of those next time I get paid, I hate changing flats.

spog posted:

I want to take this opportunity to curse all POs who seem to have an inability to keep tyres at the right pressure.

Any time I check a tyre that I didn't previously check, they are always 10psi down.

Last night I checked my new car - 35 on the label, 25 in the tyres. I used my little 12v compressor and melted it.

I don't know why pressures are so neglected: it is a literal 3 min job with no thinking if you use a mains compressor with a digital gauge.

Stepdad got new tires recently. Sidewalls say 44 max, door jamb says 30 front, 35 back (2001 Ford F-150).

He was bitching about how harsh they rode and how lovely the handling was. Checked the pressure - they all ranged from 40 to 65 PSI. :stonk:

melon cat posted:

Does this indicate that the mirror is heated?

Yes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

melon cat posted:

Well poo poo melon cat, how did I miss this?

You need to do that with the door and window open. See if you can get the screwdriver down to one of the securing lug things.

Godholio posted:

I'd pull that plastic off. Worst case is you break it and have to find one in a junkyard for $5. Best case is that it's held on by those little trim clips that run 3 for a buck and the crackling you hear is the sound they make as they come free.

Probably this.

E: in fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m77MhC4rj5Q

Later models identical.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 17, 2015

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The previous owner of my car used one of those stupid ribbed covers on he leather steering wheel, which left a bunch of nasty ridges on it. Do I have any chance of getting them out? I was thinking about applying heat with a hairdryer and trying to massage it back to its original shape.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Were you trying to get it off with the door open? Can't quite tell from the photo but the plastic may be pressed against the door frame. Heated mirror glass typically has the plugs in the back of the glass like that.

Slavvy posted:

You need to do that with the door and window open. See if you can get the screwdriver down to one of the securing lug things.

Huzzah! You were both right. All I had to do was open the door, then the panel finally came off. I was keeping it closed because of how cold it is outside. :haw:

thylacine posted:

And, once you get another mirror just spray paint them both black. That's what I did on my car when I got a non-matching salvage mirror. Nobody is the wiser.
That's a good idea. I'll do that.

Thanks to all of you guys for your help, on this. It's good to know that I won't have to get totally robbed by the local garage for this type of repair.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

melon cat posted:

Huzzah! You were both right. All I had to do was open the door, then the panel finally came off. I was keeping it closed because of how cold it is outside. :haw:

Thanks to all of you guys for your help, on this. It's good to know that I won't have to get totally robbed by the local garage for this type of repair.

I'm laughing with you and maybe just a little at you right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

melon cat posted:

You're a good sport, you'll get there. I see you're lucky and have the sort where the mirror plug is right there!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Tire shopping theorycraft rubberchat, please chime in with sales pitches/advice/jeering:

quote:

I'm trying to shoe some 15x8s I picked up. I'm looking at 205/50/15 and 225/45/15 tires.
From what I've seen and read, the two *look* about the same on a 15-inch wheel, small manufacturer sidewall differences aside. 205/50s all seem to fall in the Max/Extreme Performance Summer™ pricing-category, while 225/45s corral the Track/CompetiCross™ market segment.

My considerations:

- Max Summers in 205/50 are generally about $100 less expensive per corner than the 225/45 competition tires.
- I live in central Texas, so rain/wet handling can be a concern, but snow and ice are not.
- Car is pretty light, but not particularly lowered or flushed out, so stretch is not necessary. ~250hp. Maybe 300 on non-pump gas if I do some stuff to it.
- I don't intend to track the car, but I do put whatever car I drive through it's paces on a daily and almost constant basis, so tire life particularly with respect to longevity and hot performance impress me.

incomplete list of contenders as examples of each size:

205/50:
- Dunlop Z2/Star Spec (used to have Z1 stars on my Impreza; loved 'em.)
- Nitto NT01/05
- Advan AD08
- Kumho's Ecsta XS
- etc. There's a lot more 205/50

225/45:
- Toyo R888s and R1Rs. The R1Rs got the gleam in my eye at first, but they're currently backordered everywhere.
- BFGoodrich Rivals
- Hanook Ventus RS-3s and Z214s

For as hard as I drive the car, it doesn't seem worth the extra $100/corner to go for the shorter/wider 225/45s, especially since they all look like the same fitment on a 15x8? I intend to perform some suspension and bodywork in the future when power goals are higher, but tires are where car talks to road, and I have 15x8s to do that for now while it's mild.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Are there any good ways to test the performance of a shock absorber off of a car without taking it to get dyno'd or something?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

RillAkBea posted:

Are there any good ways to test the performance of a shock absorber off of a car without taking it to get dyno'd or something?

Shove down on one corner of the car with all your weight. The car should come back up, then maybe back down a little, but it should not bounce. If it bounces, that shock is bad.

Repeat for the other three corners.

Wounded Unicorn posted:

Tire shopping theorycraft rubberchat, please chime in with sales pitches/advice/jeering:

For as hard as I drive the car, it doesn't seem worth the extra $100/corner to go for the shorter/wider 225/45s, especially since they all look like the same fitment on a 15x8? I intend to perform some suspension and bodywork in the future when power goals are higher, but tires are where car talks to road, and I have 15x8s to do that for now while it's mild.

If it's gonna save you $400 and you're not autocrossing or w/e, go for the 205s.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Wounded Unicorn posted:

You're not got going to enjoy the extra grip a competition tire offers without warming them up first, and warming them up is not practical or safe to do on the street.

I bought the Direzza ZII when the came out 2 years ago for my Impreza WRX two years ago for Summer / Autocross, and they've been good. You still get more performance when they get some heat in them (but not too much), but they're good on the road, and Tire Rack said they performed better in the wet than the other big gun that came out at the time, the BFG Rivals (I see a mix of both at the Auto-X with some people holding out with the RS3) In terms of longevity, they have over 125 autocross runs and around 7500 miles on them and are down to 4/32s. They're directional tires so I had to have them remounted the middle of last summer because the stock suspension rolled so much that the outside edge was wearing quicker. Non-directional tires won't have this problem, so that's something to think about cost-wise.

TLDR; Extreme/Max for sure, think about non-directional for tire rotations to maximize life, ZII is great but pricier now with the ZII star spec.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
2007 Hyundai Accent here, about 95,000 miles. The car drove without issue last night, and then as I'm driving to work this morning I notice an odd scraping sound like the sound of something dragging against pavement, but only when I'm going slow (under 20 mph). It sounds like it's coming from the rear underneath of the car. When I got to work I checked and there isn't anything hanging down that could be making such a noise.

Any idea what this could be?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Rear disc brakes? If so you may have a rock jammed between the rotor and it's shield.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Geoj posted:

Rear disc brakes? If so you may have a rock jammed between the rotor and it's shield.

That could be. The noise sounds like a metal shovel scraping against gravel, so a rock would make sense. Is it still safe to drive? Both my wife and I rely on it to get to work and back at the moment and we probably won't be able to take it in to the shop until the weekend.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's going to get more expensive the longer it's in there. It may dislodge itself (best case), it may stay there and eat up the rotor and pad. If it hasn't done much damage yet, it could still be "turn the rotor and reinstall".

How long has it been since it's had a brake job? If you're due anyway, I'd probably drive it and take it in when you can (still ASAP, of course, but a couple light drives won't cause immediate catastrophic failure).

candywife
Mar 3, 2011

Memento posted:

I read this to mean "I do live in California, home of the brave and land of the gently caress no we can't tell you what the codes are from your car, you might try to fix it yourself".

yes.

UPDATE:
I've decided to name my car Michigan J. Ford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfU1JqmkHM
The check engine lights been on for three days, as I'm pulling up into the driveway of the mechanics suddenly it goes off.
I already had an appointment set up and everything, so he's taking a look at it anyways even though there's probably nothing wrong.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Krakkles posted:

It's going to get more expensive the longer it's in there. It may dislodge itself (best case), it may stay there and eat up the rotor and pad. If it hasn't done much damage yet, it could still be "turn the rotor and reinstall".

How long has it been since it's had a brake job? If you're due anyway, I'd probably drive it and take it in when you can (still ASAP, of course, but a couple light drives won't cause immediate catastrophic failure).

I just had our mechanic take a look at it and he said that the brakes are fine. v:shobon:v I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Did you tell him to look at the brakes, or did you tell him that there's a noise that you want to resolve?

Don't create an X-Y problem.

Also, it could be a wheel bearing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

This is more of a theory question but I've read in a few places now that MacPherson struts require an anti roll bar because it triangulates the control arms or some other obscure reason.

Would somebody be able to explain in laymen's terms what the function of the rollbar on a MacPherson strut is? I'm curious because I've taken mine out of my Scirocco and actually like the handling better without it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Did you tell him to look at the brakes, or did you tell him that there's a noise that you want to resolve?

Ugh, I literally am in the middle of that exact stupidity, by myself. Asked them to "check the brakes" during an oil change because I'm getting a grinding noise during slow-speed braking. When I picked it up after hours, they wrote down that the brakes were fine at 40% on the rear.

So now I have to go in and ask them to figure out the grinding noise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The function of an anti roll bar is to counteract body roll; they're on practically every car with every suspension design (yes I know corvettes blah blah shutup) because they're a cheap and extremely effective way to firm up handling whilst having good ride comfort/stability in a straight line. Even the live-axle mustang has one. I don't think the type of suspension has any bearing on it whatsoever because every modern macpherson car I've seen has the swaybar connected with dainty, sometimes plastic links that aren't really any good for transmitting loads outside of vertical. Other suspension designs like double wishbone, simulated pivot, super strut etc all use the same principle with similar designs.

Sharknose BMW's are one car I can think of where the sway bar fitted directly into the lower arm but I don't think it did anything beyond making the wheel shake annoyingly on e21's if your wheel alignment and bushes were anything other than perfect.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Would somebody be able to explain in laymen's terms what the function of the rollbar on a MacPherson strut is? I'm curious because I've taken mine out of my Scirocco and actually like the handling better without it.

Basically, the anti roll bar connects the two wheels together. When you go over a bump, both wheels move up and down together and the bar just moves with them. When you go around a corner, the wheels move in opposite directions as the car turns, causing the bar to twist, which acts like a spring to counteract the rolling of the body.

The plus side is it's like having stiffer springs when cornering and softer springs when going over bumps.

The downside is if one wheel hits a bump, a too stiff anti roll bar can cause the two wheels move unexpectedly and cause the car to turn instead of going straight.

It just aids what the springs are doing, doesn't have to do anything with the suspension geometry.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Many years ago my Dad bought a 1956 Thunderbird in need of a complete restoration. Now that he's retired, he's got the time to really get cracking. Some stuff has been done already - motor's built, chassis is stripped and painted, and 99% of the parts he needs are ready to go. Right now he's ready to start on getting to the "rolling chassis" point. What he's looking for is a guide on where everything bolts onto the naked frame - basically just a diagram of what holes mount what items, e.g. suspension, engine, exhaust, fuel/brake lines, electrical etc. He's very mechanically savvy (frame-off restored a 1940 Packard when he was younger), and has a lot of individual resources to draw on, so he just needs a basic guide.

Any clue where such a PDF or what-have-you might exist?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Uthor posted:

Basically, the anti roll bar connects the two wheels together. When you go over a bump, both wheels move up and down together and the bar just moves with them. When you go around a corner, the wheels move in opposite directions as the car turns, causing the bar to twist, which acts like a spring to counteract the rolling of the body.

The plus side is it's like having stiffer springs when cornering and softer springs when going over bumps.

The downside is if one wheel hits a bump, a too stiff anti roll bar can cause the two wheels move unexpectedly and cause the car to turn instead of going straight.

It just aids what the springs are doing, doesn't have to do anything with the suspension geometry.

That's kind of what I figured. Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing something by not having it on anymore.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

2006 Honda Accord 4 cylinder EX-L.

Problem with a P0139 code.

I posted in the last thread that in early January the check engine light came on and Autozone gave me the above code (plus another dealing with AB-S, code 61-1). I unplugged the battery, hooked it back up, and drove probably 1500 miles with no problems.

The CEL light came on again 2 weeks ago, so I figured it was the O2 sensor (the one underneath the heat shield by the cat). I bought the part off Amazon, replaced it last week, and it was driving fine. I pulled the battery cable off again in order to reset the CEL.

I've been driving it fine with no problems (average 50 miles/day, so a total of maybe 200-250 miles). Then this past Friday, the CEL came on again, so between me pulling the battery cable after I installed the new O2 sensor, I'm guessing I had around 200 miles on it.

Brought it back to Autozone today-P0139 code again.

What else could be the problem? It's been brutally cold here in New England, so I'm wondering if moisture on the sensor is causing it to gently caress up maybe? Anything else I'm missing? Oddly, the other code went away this time and only the P0139 code popped up.

I've driven 75 miles so far and no CEL yet. I wonder if I'm in the clear. However, it hasn't been negative degrees outside lately, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, I've got a bit of an oil leak the 5VZ-FE 4Runner, presumably behind the passenger side valve cover.

It's dripping down between the oil pan and the bell-housing. I was initially pretty concerned that it was a rear main seal, but it seems to be coming from further up behind the engine block. There's also a bit forward on the passenger side lower control arm and on the transmission dipstick tube--so I think it's raining from above.

It looks like the VC gaskets have been done. It's relatively clean around the valve covers and there are broken tabs on the fuel injector wire harness, suggesting someone's been in there monkeying around. The bolts themselves are notorious for backing out on their own, but the washers are fresh and bolts are all tight.

It isn't enough to affect my oil level, at least at the dipstick. I'd prefer not to do a redundant job, but my suspicion is that they did not replace or use any seal packing on the rear camshaft plug.

Having said that, it's possible it is still a rear main seal. Is there anything I could look for that would exclude one or the other? I feel like there is fresh oil further up the block than I would expect on a rear main seal leak, but I'm not an expert.

Thoughts?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

This is more of a theory question but I've read in a few places now that MacPherson struts require an anti roll bar because it triangulates the control arms or some other obscure reason.

In the original MacPherson strut design, the anti-roll bar did triangulate the lower arm of the suspension. In that case, you wouldn't have a lower control arm that connects to the unit body at two place like you commonly see today (and on your Scirocco), you would have a "track control arm" that connects the knuckle with a ball joint and to the body at one point. Here's a picture of a Saturn SL1 with the classic style Mac Strut suspension:

You can read more about the man and his suspension (and see the picture again) here

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that kind of like the super beetle's front sway bar?

I've heard people say it has an "impossible" front suspension. Is that because the sway bar is the only thing triangulating the control arm?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Is that kind of like the super beetle's front sway bar?

I've heard people say it has an "impossible" front suspension. Is that because the sway bar is the only thing triangulating the control arm?

Yeah that looks like what Neptr described.

Thanks Neptr, that makes perfect sense now how you described it.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
I have a Mercedes Benz C230 1997 with an "Engine Check" that has been on but nothing seems to be wrong with the engine. I am looking to buy a OBD 2 reader, one that can reset codes so I can be sure what is why the light is on but I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any recommendations?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

AmyL posted:

I have a Mercedes Benz C230 1997 with an "Engine Check" that has been on but nothing seems to be wrong with the engine. I am looking to buy a OBD 2 reader, one that can reset codes so I can be sure what is why the light is on but I'm not sure which one to buy.

Any recommendations?

This and Torque on my Android phone works great.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C8u5ub1NBVD51

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

amenenema posted:

Many years ago my Dad bought a 1956 Thunderbird in need of a complete restoration. Now that he's retired, he's got the time to really get cracking. Some stuff has been done already - motor's built, chassis is stripped and painted, and 99% of the parts he needs are ready to go. Right now he's ready to start on getting to the "rolling chassis" point. What he's looking for is a guide on where everything bolts onto the naked frame - basically just a diagram of what holes mount what items, e.g. suspension, engine, exhaust, fuel/brake lines, electrical etc. He's very mechanically savvy (frame-off restored a 1940 Packard when he was younger), and has a lot of individual resources to draw on, so he just needs a basic guide.

Any clue where such a PDF or what-have-you might exist?

I assume Ford has something similar, but GM actually published the factory Assembly Instruction Manual for old Corvettes. It's been a loving AMAZING resource for my '66. Torque specs, wiring diagrams, part numbers of EVERYTHING down to washers and adhesives, chassis leak tests, and so on. Chassis Service Manual, too...this is more of a repair manual with instructions on disassembly and tests.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 19, 2015