Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

TraderStav posted:

The guys before that were a legit 45 though.

Terrible luck against clans south of the border lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
HEADLINE

LAZYGOONS GOES TO WAR

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

EnsGDT posted:

HEADLINE

LAZYGOONS GOES TO WAR

Rip lazygoons

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Maybe someone should start laziergoons

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
So I've gotten the vibe that it's bad to research everything to max, as it inflates your "war strength".

I'm at TH8, and having finished Barbs, Archers, and Dragons, I'm trying to figure out what to research outside of the DE upgrades. I'm thinking Giants and Loons, but not sure about everything else, Lightening, Rage and Heal included.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
The only things I'd even consider postponing are healers, valks and goblins. All other spells and troops should be upgraded.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Research whatever you use. Definitely upgrade all your spells, and Giants and Balloons.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If you're worried about 'war strength' then start a new TH by focusing on your elixir upgrades. Lab/Spell Factory/Camps/Barracks. Heroes too. That way you'll get a head start on attacking like your new TH level, without being penalized in the war rankings by your new defensive buildings.

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!
I've got two accounts (nearing max TH8 and a just dinged today TH5) I'm looking to get into clans. Prefer a constant war clan, but am flexible. Would prefer both accounts in the same clan, but wouldn't be too sad if they're split up. Was in a small, bad clan with some people I knew, but the final straw was when our lowest guy, a ridiculously underleveled TH7, was pushing to TH8 and I called him out on it, telling him to cancel and upgrade his defenses which were mostly lvl 2-4. I got told that he's free to play the game however he wants by multiple people so I finally noped out of there.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

JamesJBuffalkill posted:

Was in a small, bad clan with some people I knew, but the final straw was when our lowest guy, a ridiculously underleveled TH7, was pushing to TH8 and I called him out on it, telling him to cancel and upgrade his defenses which were mostly lvl 2-4. I got told that he's free to play the game however he wants by multiple people so I finally noped out of there.

You sound like a blast to play with, come join webeslanginhoes

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Smugworth posted:

You sound like a blast to play with, come join webeslanginhoes

lol

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

AmericanGeeksta posted:

So I've gotten the vibe that it's bad to research everything to max, as it inflates your "war strength".

I'm at TH8, and having finished Barbs, Archers, and Dragons, I'm trying to figure out what to research outside of the DE upgrades. I'm thinking Giants and Loons, but not sure about everything else, Lightening, Rage and Heal included.

Who is telling you this? Upgrade everything you might use, and then upgrade everything anyway. Nerf-proof yourself; don't be like all the crying pubbies who were whining because they'd only ever researched hogs and heals and came off poorly to the balancing.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Khablam posted:

Who is telling you this? Upgrade everything you might use, and then upgrade everything anyway. Nerf-proof yourself; don't be like all the crying pubbies who were whining because they'd only ever researched hogs and heals and came off poorly to the balancing.

lol at the idea that they'll nerf anything at all except maybe TH7/8 dragons being the de facto war composition

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

nightwisher posted:

lol at the idea that they'll nerf anything at all except maybe TH7/8 dragons being the de facto war composition

You don't necessarily need nerfs in order to make some army comps more popular. Pubbies will whine if other comps get buffs, comps that they haven't researched in particular.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Seditiar posted:

You don't necessarily need nerfs in order to make some army comps more popular. Pubbies will whine if other comps get buffs, comps that they haven't researched in particular.

If my defence logs are even remotely indicative of pubbie tactics, the new meta is gowipe without the go. Right into my butthole.

Being actually serious for a moment, my opinion is still to hold off on gob/healer/valk research until it's the very last thing you have, and even then I just think it'd be better to save the time and resources for wall or hero upgrading. Especially healers, I mean nothing is ever going to make healers viable outside TH5-7 at the very most, and even then at TH7 only if they've got their AD placed stupidly. Which sucks because I loved using giant-healer-wiz/arch to just absolutely destroy in TH6, and the few times I was donated a lvl 4 healer in my CC at TH5 made even the most poorly made attack an automatic 3-star.

Where do hogs fit into the useless-useful spectrum nowerdays? I have only ever seen one hog attack, against me in a clan war and he was a maxed TH8. Didn't even get 1 star, the hogs got murdered by giant bombs that no amount of creative deploying would have avoided.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 16, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Double post but UGA got absolutely schooled this CW. Most of the other clan's 40-20 had quite effective anti-dragon layouts that myself and others struggled with, it's the kind with 3-4AD and 4-5 archer towers packed in the middle with the TH and CC walled in with a 2-tile wide space then a complete outer wall with things spaced out to easily direct dragon raids around the outside. It worked really well and almost everyone who tried only got 1-2 stars at best. I came so drat close to 3-starring one but I timed out before I could kill off everything.

Something is wrong with this picture but I can't put my finger on it...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
idgi. There's no air defence outside, so you can't clear the sides/corner with a few dragons and then dump the rest of your drags on a path straight to the middle?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
That, or a guaranteed 3 star HoLo with level 5 loons and level 3+ hogs.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ixo posted:

The only things I'd even consider postponing are healers, valks and goblins. All other spells and troops should be upgraded.

Not really much use for hogs these days.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

First time using the imgur gif creator so bear (hog) with me.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
^^^^ This would be much more accurate if it were a whole army of hog riders, and that spring trap was a giant bomb ^^^

idiotsavant posted:

idgi. There's no air defence outside, so you can't clear the sides/corner with a few dragons and then dump the rest of your drags on a path straight to the middle?

The AD reaches out just far enough that dragons, being dumb, were being killed before they could snipe off the buildings properly. It's definitely doable with dragons it just takes a really careful approach and not everyone in the clan knows the best way to approach it. I came extremely close to 3-starring that base with only lvl 2 drags and a few others managed a 3-star with lvl 3 drags.

Also in case it wasn't apparent my game still thinks it's christmas and plays the christmas music and snow graphics.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not at all correct. Some of the best 3 star TH9 war attacks use hogs. They're quite good at TH8 as well, though its usually much easier to mass drag for your 3 stars. At TH9 though, which is a huge part of the game, hogs are excellent.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

2 hogs in an army can be effective at luring well placed CCs, so they aren't all bad.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Hogs are still great, they just aren't as brainless as they used to be. Used to be all you had to do was lure out the cc/royals and kill it to win, regardless of the base layout. Now you have to be mindful of double bomb locations and send in an attacking force to kill the defending AQ in addition to that. It still works pretty goddamn well, even against TH10s if the base layout is bad enough.

J
Jun 10, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

That, or a guaranteed 3 star HoLo with level 5 loons and level 3+ hogs.

Agreed. That type of base is one to look out for in general, the kind with AD packed tightly in the core with a ring of defenses around the outside. Usually the AD doesn't cover the exterior defenses very well so you can efficiently take some of them out with balloons to break the ring and make a path for your hogs to go straight to the core to mop it up with heal spells.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
If you are coordinated, two all-hog attacks will destroy any TH8. The first time is a 1-star attack that reveals the double bomb location. The second one will 3-star.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What's a good army comp for TH9 GoWiWi? I can't really seem to find anything online that gives good advice

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

What's a good army comp for TH9 GoWiWi? I can't really seem to find anything online that gives good advice

Lavaloonion? Your balloons are maxed and minions and lava hounds are 1 level below maxed. I still use dragloon for weak AD bases and bases with xbows set to ground. Really it all depends on what base you are attacking. Assuming you are talking about war, I definitely wouldn't use GoWiWi to farm. TH9 has all the options a TH10 does minus freeze spells, just slightly weaker.

nephyx
Jun 20, 2006

"Purges"
-Adolf Twerkel

AmericanGeeksta posted:

You've got the right idea.

http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/307040-The-TH8-Artificial-Disadvantage-A-Clan-Wars-Case-To-Not-Maxing-Out-Your-Base

Just upgrade useful troops without limiting yourself too much. For example i can do dragons/barch/hogs or gowipe, but dont use gobs or healers for any of those so i dont bother upgrading them. . Maxxing out everything will make your war strength artificially higher and it will effect the outcome of your war matchups.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
So once I get to TH6, how long should I hold there? And are there any recommended base layouts? I'm pleased that barch is working as well as it is, and I hope it'll keep being that way once I get them up to level 3. I'm avoiding researching anything else for the moment, but I may boost wizards for wartime shenanigans.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Roshambo posted:

Lavaloonion? Your balloons are maxed and minions and lava hounds are 1 level below maxed. I still use dragloon for weak AD bases and bases with xbows set to ground. Really it all depends on what base you are attacking. Assuming you are talking about war, I definitely wouldn't use GoWiWi to farm. TH9 has all the options a TH10 does minus freeze spells, just slightly weaker.

I don't have Lavahounds or Death Balloons (yet) so Lavaloonion isn't really on my radar. I have my Balloons upgrading right now and I plan on starting my Lava Hound barrack upgrade in the next week or so. I have a pretty competent GoWiPe but now that I have lvl 2 Witches I would like to try GoWiWi. I have an army built:

2 Golems (L3)
4 Witches (L2)
24 Wizards (L5)
8 Wall Breakers (L5)
2 Healing Spells (L5)
2 Rage Spells (L5)

I totally missed, but yes this is for a war.

VVVVVV
Thank you :)

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 16, 2015

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Assuming you're talking about war, the answer to any "what comp should I use" question is based on the base you're attacking. Generally speaking, take 2 or 3 golems, enough wallbreakers, 3-6 witches, and a stack of wizards. If you're attacking TH9 or lower, bring a heal or two. If it's going to be difficult to wallbreak into the core, bring a jump (the pro move is to wallbreak into the core, jump out of it). If you don't plan on luring, bring a lightning. The other spells should be rages.

Aside from that basic composition, scout the base. Are there any buildings not covered by defenses? Bring archers to kill those for free %. Are there any buildings only covered by cannons and mortars? Bring minions to kill those. Are there any defenses that are not covered very well by air defense? Bring balloons to kill those.

A lot of people (myself included) get stuck in the mindset of "build an army, find a base to attack with that army." That's backwards. Every war army you ever make should be custom tailored to the base you decide to attack.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I should probably get a butthole base going or something because I'm mid-TH8 and my trophies have dropped to the 1300 range. :effort:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ixo posted:

Assuming you're talking about war, the answer to any "what comp should I use" question is based on the base you're attacking. Generally speaking, take 2 or 3 golems, enough wallbreakers, 3-6 witches, and a stack of wizards. If you're attacking TH9 or lower, bring a heal or two. If it's going to be difficult to wallbreak into the core, bring a jump (the pro move is to wallbreak into the core, jump out of it). If you don't plan on luring, bring a lightning. The other spells should be rages.

Aside from that basic composition, scout the base. Are there any buildings not covered by defenses? Bring archers to kill those for free %. Are there any buildings only covered by cannons and mortars? Bring minions to kill those. Are there any defenses that are not covered very well by air defense? Bring balloons to kill those.

A lot of people (myself included) get stuck in the mindset of "build an army, find a base to attack with that army." That's backwards. Every war army you ever make should be custom tailored to the base you decide to attack.

Post your war record when you give advice, dear leader.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nephyx posted:

You've got the right idea.

http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/307040-The-TH8-Artificial-Disadvantage-A-Clan-Wars-Case-To-Not-Maxing-Out-Your-Base

Just upgrade useful troops without limiting yourself too much. For example i can do dragons/barch/hogs or gowipe, but dont use gobs or healers for any of those so i dont bother upgrading them. . Maxxing out everything will make your war strength artificially higher and it will effect the outcome of your war matchups.

Should have known this had the whiff of twerkel-level sperg about it.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Post your war record when you give advice, dear leader.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
joined melt down for sometime and just created my account here, ingame name BeanZ

one of my friend told me there is a chinese hack android app, all it does is to simulate attacks for clan war WITHOUT actually attacking your opponent, so user can compose any formation and test it until it is deemed perfect 3-star. click me if you are chinese sub-human

fark chinese they can't even play a farking game fairly

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 17, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zakrello posted:

joined melt down for sometime and just created my account here, ingame name BeanZ

one of my friend told me there is a chinese hack android app, all it does is to simulate attacks for clan war WITHOUT actually attacking your opponent, so user can compose any formation and test it until it is deemed perfect 3-star. click me if you are chinese sub-human
...did you seriously pay 10 american dollars to shill your fake app?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Stuntman posted:

...did you seriously pay 10 american dollars to shill your fake app?

no i didn't make it or use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Zakrello posted:

fark chinese they can't even play a farking game fairly

There is no way I'm clicking that link