Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

:v: “If someone enters more than 90 characters in this field, it breaks random things across multiple businesses, and makes the log files lie. Should we make the UI enforce the 90-character limit? It will only take 30 minutes.”
:reject: “Nah, no one will ever need more than 90 characters.”

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

People like that made security testing so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Found a SQL Server Agent job that runs each day for the 10 first days of each month (don't ask me why). The SQL Server Agent doesn't support making that kind of schedule, so you'd have to make 10 schedules, one for each day. Not a big deal though, right?

But no, instead another server running a third party scheduler runs a vbscript which runs a query on the SQL Server which starts the job. Hooray for unnecessary dependencies! :downs:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Collateral Damage posted:

Found a SQL Server Agent job that runs each day for the 10 first days of each month (don't ask me why). The SQL Server Agent doesn't support making that kind of schedule, so you'd have to make 10 schedules, one for each day. Not a big deal though, right?

But no, instead another server running a third party scheduler runs a vbscript which runs a query on the SQL Server which starts the job. Hooray for unnecessary dependencies! :downs:

TBF, maybe its an enterprise scheduling tool used by lots of things?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Here's how uncynical I am - that's resourceful as poo poo.

e: Please let the script be called by task scheduler on a 3rd box for some reason though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I kinda approve of that setup depending on how insane the scripts are and how ridiculous the third party software is.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

TBF, maybe its an enterprise scheduling tool used by lots of things?
It is, but the job in question is the only job executed that way. Every other job on the SQL Server is executed by SQL Server Agent's built-in scheduler.

Additionally VisualCron, the scheduling tool in question has built-in functions to execute remote SQL Server queries so doing it via a vbscript (which has absolutely no error handling) is just another dumb layer of obscurity.

e: VisualCron is actually a really good program, it's just an unnecessary layer of dependency in this case.

e2: The vbscript is basically just "create odbc object, open sql server connection, run exec msdb.dbo.sp_start_job N'job name', close connection" with hard-coded variables for server and job name.

Basically whoever set it up deemed that creating 10 schedules of "run on day x each month" in SQL Agent was too much work and thought that creating this three-level dependency was the better way to do it just to be able to set a single schedule of "run on day 1 through 10 each month"

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

nitrogen posted:

This was FUD when it came out for Oracle, and i'm pretty sure it's FUD for MSFT too.

And that's what I get for listening to True-Up auditors and software vendors.

I have been properly rebuked. Although, I think where the vendor was going was:

quote:

Additional licenses are required when:
 Multiple hardware threads are supporting a single virtual core simultaneously. (A core license allows a
single v-core to be supported by a single hardware thread.)

So if my ESX host has 12 cores and they're all load-balancing a single vCore, I'd need 12 core licenses (if that makes any sense).

Or maybe this scenario:

quote:

With SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Edition, customers who have licensed
all physical cores on the server can run an unlimited number of
instances of the software in a number of OSEs (physical and/or virtual)
equal to the number of core licenses assigned to the server. For
example, a four processor server with four cores per processor—fully
licensed with sixteen core licenses—can run SQL Server software in up
to sixteen VMs, regardless of the number of virtual cores allocated to
each VM.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 14, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

flosofl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

People like that made security testing so easy.

Lazy devs were the bane of my existence when I was in charge of managing the reverse proxy application firewall in a datacenter.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

psydude posted:

Lazy devs were the bane of my existence when I was in charge of managing the reverse proxy application firewall in a datacenter.

I gave a set of high-permission API Keys to the manager of another team at my job for an application I run, and by the time I had gotten back to my desk they had posted them in a publicly-accessible (internally) Jira instance.

Good job, everyone!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Friday afternoon. Receive email from offsite location

Skooma , I have 3 IT request here that are urgent (one is dated on Monday, when I was on site).

Well poo poo, if they were urgent you would have sent them out on Thursday as that is the latest date on them. Also, me making someone an email list is not urgent, it's barely even in scope as a matter of fact. I'm not your secretary, your employees need to learn how to do basic computer tasks. It would also help if you actually provided a list for me to make or more information beyond make an email list and put it on the computer.

Plus I have the flu, so I'm in "not bovvered" territory.

We're supposed to roll off soon, but nobody seems interested in doing the business of transition. They seem content to live hand to mouth IT wise assuming we'll just be around for when they finally find a replacement. Keeping in mind once the parent company with which we actually have the contract ceases to exist and transfers the contract to someone else, I cannot do any work for them during the day and I would have to make it a side gig.WAN and Server transition is something I cannot do at all, so it would be wise to get your poo poo in gear already while I still have these guys available.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

m.hache posted:

Why Microsoft doesn't just develop a web tool that says:

"How many Servers do you have?"
"Are they virtual/Physical?"
"How many users will be using these servers"

"Here's your licensing breakdown"

It's called the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit. I used to be on the engineering team for it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Most techs don't know about MAPT

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Just spent two days figuring out how much a customer's enterpise agreement will cost so we can sell it to them(who have been putting all license purchases on hold for the last 8 months because "We're buying EA any day now so dont buy that license!"

Downloading MAPT now, thank you for saving my sanity

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ahdinko posted:

Just spent two days figuring out how much a customer's enterpise agreement will cost so we can sell it to them(who have been putting all license purchases on hold for the last 8 months because "We're buying EA any day now so dont buy that license!"

Downloading MAPT now, thank you for saving my sanity

I am glad some of you have had some luck with it but MAPT has in no way made it any less of a hassle. Even after giving it a spin a month ago MAPT seems like hot garbage to me.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Time from start of week to "gently caress all printers forever": ~1 hour

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

IBM guy is bitching and blaming the helpdesk guy for emails not going through.

IBM guy configured the email address as whatever@.something.comn (an 'n' on the end of the domain)

Check your bounce messages and errors before you go around accusing people, god.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sickening posted:

I am glad some of you have had some luck with it but MAPT has in no way made it any less of a hassle. Even after giving it a spin a month ago MAPT seems like hot garbage to me.

MAPT looks like it'd work well if everything is built sanely, but sadly that isn't us so welp.

edit:
We've been having issues with one client receiving our emails for a while. I finally got my hands on one of the delivery failure messages and it turns out that mxlogic.net (McAfee's SaaS email filtering service or something) is bouncing them inexplicably, so nothing we can do about it. I dig up the support page on "how to whitelist a domain" for them so they can receive our emails and their IT guy basically responded "you shouldn't be using Google's mail servers".

Yeah dude I'll just go and migrate us off of Google because your lovely email setup is using the unholy duo of McAfee services and Chinese blacklists?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 16, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's called the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit. I used to be on the engineering team for it.

I attempted to run the software and even in my small environment it was giving me false positives or missing entire servers for some reason.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Amazon. Amazon never changes. We're uploading about 200,000 products and at that scale you have to use MWS/XML. Using their dinky little Excel sheet is simply a non-starter. But the products aren't being categorized properly; there's a 'fine' category and a 'fashion' category, and we're being put into neither. So I putz around and do a manual upload with the spreadsheet and lo and behold it works. Put a ticket in with Sullen Support and they sit on it for a week. I give them XML files, I point out the categorization I'm using (BrowseNodes in this case), point out how their system is accepting it, but simply not applying it on the front end. That week goes by and they write back 'welp we have no idea use the spreadsheets'. I DON'T loving THINK SO AMAZON. What kind of operation has their XML parser create invalidly categorized products? And what kind of magic is being applied by the lovely spreadsheet that can't be done by the automated solution?

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Can anyone recommend me a good wiki application for documenting all of the systems at work?
Maybe one that comes pre installed on a ready made vm.
Hell, I think I could even get approval if there is a good one that needs licensing.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Sullen Support

Is that just a description of their general demeanor?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

wibble posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good wiki application for documenting all of the systems at work?
Maybe one that comes pre installed on a ready made vm.
Hell, I think I could even get approval if there is a good one that needs licensing.

Confluence. Cheap and in the cloud.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
*THIS* is why you do not depend on an upstream ISP for NTP. THIS is why, if you are a mult billion dollar company, you should at LEAST spend some coin for a gps receiver standard.

code:
reference time:    d889a1ae.5e99c106  Sat, Feb 14 2015  5:27:58.369
originate timestamp: d88ccc6a.3fe16f1b  Mon, Feb 16 2015 15:07:06.249

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What the hell? You just instantly went from Saturday to Monday?

Couldn't the same behavior occur with a GPS unit?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Windows admins: Do any of you actually use InTune? I want to know if this poo poo is actually being used in the field or if it's basically just padding in 70-688.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

No. Exact time is the cornerstone of GPS. Without extremely precise time GPS simply doesn't work.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

We have some software that runs on our iSeries that 'fixes' mailing addresses. Updates come on a loving CD-ROM.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure they do, that's my next step. I think the IBM guy here just likes being a 1980's mainframe operator and loading tapes and poo poo all day.

Wow it's like your actually my co-worker. I took over running the iseries from an old greybeard mainframe guy at my current job because he was sorta coasting and making noises about retirement. We used to get all of our system updates shipped on CD-ROMs no less, with an eventual upgrade to DVDs so we only got 10 a month instead of 40 of the fuckers. (They updates were shipped cumulatively so every time they sent something, they included all the pre-reqs).

I said gently caress that and just downloaded a single disc image from IBM's ftp, mounted it and installed from there.

Turns out mr. greybeard lost his rear end in the stock market because he's an idiot and spends all day trying his hand at day trading as his only retirement money, so he's going to be working longer than he thought. So he gets to deal with the day to day stuff again, and I just write utilities or automatic stuff when we need something new because writing programs gets in the way of him F5ing scott trade.

He went back to ordering the DVDs.

(We have two LPARS on the same physical hardware, which means they of course have a virtual 10 gig ethernet line between them. When we needed to move a file from one to the other he would back it up on to a tape and restore it to the other system :negative: )

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Windows admins: Do any of you actually use InTune? I want to know if this poo poo is actually being used in the field or if it's basically just padding in 70-688.

It's basically padding and geared towards MSP that handle small businesses. Expect windows 365 (which is coming) to take this place.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

m.hache posted:

I attempted to run the software and even in my small environment it was giving me false positives or missing entire servers for some reason.

How's AD in your environment? Is it cleaned up or are there stale entries? That can seriously affect MAP's success rates. Additionally you want to check the reports for the reasons behind the failures. If you're not getting the machines at all try adjusting discovery methods. If the machines are being discovered but not inventoried It's pretty easy to find out why. Most of the time the failure will repeat over a large number of machines so pushing a new policy or update environment wide can usually clean up MAP results.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Asked my old manager if I could take one of his workers for a couple hours because I needed an extra pair of hands and got a "no, we're to busy".

Try again the next week, same thing.

The very next week, same thing. "To busy, to many people are off the phones, we accidentally let to many people have annual leave at once".

Guy, if this is happening so loving office, you need to manage your department better. I also know for a fact we used to get by on half the staff and double the amount of calls because I loving worked there, don't bullshit me! (The extra pair of hands was to meet a deadline, i'm still opening up that new department and since the "department" is currently me and one other dude, we're still coming up short occasionally).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

There are some Ann Arbor/Detroit goons in here, right? I'm looking at heading up there in September when my beloved Beavers march into the big house and will need someone to point me to the appropriate places to drink pre/post slaughter. :itisacollegefootballthing:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

There are some Ann Arbor/Detroit goons in here, right? I'm looking at heading up there in September when my beloved Beavers march into the big house and will need someone to point me to the appropriate places to drink pre/post slaughter. :itisacollegefootballthing:

Yessir. Do you want some recommendations now or do you want to just hit me up in PM closer to the game?

If you're actually going to the game and it's your first time at the Big House I'd recommend just spending your time before the game starts at a tailgate somewhere on the golf course or high school across the street, as it is quite the spectacle. Afterwards walk down to campus or Main Street and hit up a bar. If you're a craft beer drinker, Hopcat just opened on Saturday and has 100+ taps and will probably be the go-to beer place in town very shortly. If beer isn't your thing let me know what you're looking for and I'll give you a few good places to hit.

Go Blue! :toot:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
WTF is this HP Printable bullshit that just showed up on my HP Envy 120 printer? Is HP so desperate for revenue they pushed it with an update or did my kids mess with something? How do I disable it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

WTF is this HP Printable bullshit that just showed up on my HP Envy 120 printer? Is HP so desperate for revenue they pushed it with an update or did my kids mess with something? How do I disable it?

Can't tell you how it got there, but here's how to remove it. And it was probably some "update" similar to how Cisco-Linksys hosed up their routers with the "cloud" bullshit.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03606868

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Tab8715 posted:

Nono, the originate timestamp is the system time, which is correct.
The upstream reference ntp server this datacenter is using is the one that thinks it is valentines day. In other words, you called "Time and Temperature" and they said it was a day and a half off from the real date, while your watch was correct.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
From a few pages back:

the spyder posted:

Just don't go work for SCE.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2879083/southern-california-edison-it-workers-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

This makes my blood boil (and it's mostly due to the horror stories I read on here + other forums), but seriously? Rage mode engaged.

Holy poo poo is SCE going to be hosed. Infosys is the shittiest place to work and the poo poo they deliver is sub par at best. I worked there for a year as a principal consultant and it was the most horrible experience of my IT career. Not only that, but morale is in the shitter because people know Infosys is poo poo. Twenty eight thousand people left the company in three months. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

quote:

The annualised rate of attrition at Infosys - effectively the number of staff leaving or retiring - was a record 18.7 percent at end-March, 2.4 percentage points higher than a year earlier. That's close to a fifth of the company's workforce of more than 160,000. The attrition rate at market leader TCS was 11.3 percent.

I cannot heap enough filth upon Infosys. gently caress them forever.

On my first week of work there on site as a principal consultant, the lead Pcon (who only outranks me due to his ownership of the customer relationship, but were both equivalent job levels) tells me to go get him a cup of coffee. As he was standing idly talking with a subordinate. I told him in no uncertain terms that after 17 years in IT, performing increasingly complicated tasks in roles of increasing responsibility, I don't get coffee.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

He went back to ordering the DVDs.

(We have two LPARS on the same physical hardware, which means they of course have a virtual 10 gig ethernet line between them. When we needed to move a file from one to the other he would back it up on to a tape and restore it to the other system :negative: )
I laughed pretty hard at this guy and his dedication to tapes. I wasn't even aware IBM still shipped PTF's on DVDs to anything but secure accounts with no Internet access.

However, I am a Pedantic Polly and iSeries != mainframe. zSeries is mainframe, iSeries/pSeries/POWER is midrange. :eng101:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aunt Beth posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this guy and his dedication to tapes. I wasn't even aware IBM still shipped PTF's on DVDs to anything but secure accounts with no Internet access.

However, I am a Pedantic Polly and iSeries != mainframe. zSeries is mainframe, iSeries/pSeries/POWER is midrange. :eng101:

And 5 other names for the iSeries that they had for what seemed like 3 months then dropped :v:

We (not me, agency, I work at a state office) do have a real zSeries mainframe that gets used by offices nationwide too, but I don't even have an account /deal with that sucker.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

And 5 other names for the iSeries that they had for what seemed like 3 months then dropped :v:

Ugh, its one of the most bizarre IBM decisions. At least with Windows you still have Windows then a suffix of 3.1, NT, 95, 89, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Yessir. Do you want some recommendations now or do you want to just hit me up in PM closer to the game?

If you're actually going to the game and it's your first time at the Big House I'd recommend just spending your time before the game starts at a tailgate somewhere on the golf course or high school across the street, as it is quite the spectacle. Afterwards walk down to campus or Main Street and hit up a bar. If you're a craft beer drinker, Hopcat just opened on Saturday and has 100+ taps and will probably be the go-to beer place in town very shortly. If beer isn't your thing let me know what you're looking for and I'll give you a few good places to hit.

Go Blue! :toot:

I will definitely hit you up closer to the date. Never been to the big house but I look forward to it. The largest I've been in so far is the Rose Bowl (both for UCLA home games and the Rose Bowl itself). Craft beer will be a definite yes, and depending on NFL scheduling I may just get to see my Lions at home for the first time, too (though I do get to see them here in Seattle, hopefully not the same weekend).

On topic: poo poo that pisses me off -

Fundamental project assumptions changing with no notice to the PM for several days, followed by "I'm finally executing the changes on Monday, btw my vacation starts Monday".