Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Austrian mook posted:

something being old-guard doesn't make it any less lovely, dumbass.

Sorry you have to pay a few dollars to play dress up with your digital dollies, sperglord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
hurrdurr what's a nuanced opinion. I can only think in extremes of the devs are literally hitler or can do nothing wrong beep boop.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm sure that it is theoretically possible to release a full-priced retail multiplayer game with day-one DLC that is good, it's just never happened. Give it a week or two for all the ~true believers~ to get over the hype and for the developers to inevitably fail to fix the glaring pacing and balance issues while putting out paid cosmetic content.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Off-topic arguments into elementary school -level insults, everyone's a winner in this thread today.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and I just noticed that among the summon signs outside boss doors, there are signs NPCs have apparently put down, too. I know it's probably to make the game easier if you're playing offline, but it helps make the world feel more lived-in, as if NPCs are actually running around doing the same poo poo you are.

I'm playing blind too and I love this. A lot only show up if you talk to them or sometimes even beat them in a fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Off-topic arguments into elementary school -level insults, everyone's a winner in this thread today.

Everyone just lets their inner child fight their battles for them, on the internet.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

samu3lk posted:

I'm playing blind too and I love this. A lot only show up if you talk to them or sometimes even beat them in a fight.

What's 'blind' precious

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

cowboythreespeech posted:

What's 'blind' precious

It's another word for " just playing the game without having a gamefaqs guide open"

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Or even better is going into a game with as little knowledge as possible, which is especially fun in Dark Souls or similar games with lots of "Gotcha!" moments to learn from.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Just finished Dying Light's first pursuit segment (the one after you find the airdrop) and I cannot express how much I love the fact that time slows down when you look behind you while sprinting.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ryoshi posted:

Sorry you have to pay a few dollars to play dress up with your digital dollies, sperglord.

"a few dollars" :bravo:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

"a few dollars" :bravo:

Sorry about you're poor :smug:

(I have no opinions on Evolve except 'this argument sucks rear end')

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Broforce has so many little things that's fun to figure out. For instance, you can kill grunts by literally hitting them in the head with a grenade. Also, if you throw your boomerrang and get an ammo refill before you recover it, you'll get two.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the Syndicate FPS, you can hack grenades, mines, and other various explosives in order to prevent them going off. Later on in the game, you encounter a sequence where a bridge you're crossing blows up, and in the second or two before all the bombs it's covered in go off, the little prompt to hack it pops up for every bomb. There's no way in hell you could manage that, but I really like how the game keeps the HUD poo poo straight the whole way through.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's another word for " just playing the game without having a gamefaqs guide open"

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Or even better is going into a game with as little knowledge as possible, which is especially fun in Dark Souls or similar games with lots of "Gotcha!" moments to learn from.

That makes sense. That's the best way to play games, especially DeS/DS/DS2

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm playing through Dark Souls blind, and I just noticed that among the summon signs outside boss doors, there are signs NPCs have apparently put down, too. I know it's probably to make the game easier if you're playing offline, but it helps make the world feel more lived-in, as if NPCs are actually running around doing the same poo poo you are.

I didn't know about this early in my first run and missed out on an early NPC summon. I haven't missed it since, and that character is one of my favourite little things :3:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Posted this in the dark souls PC thread but someone recently told me they were using this on their first playthrough.

WHY. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Posted this in the dark souls PC thread but someone recently told me they were using this on their first playthrough.

WHY. :negative:

Some people enjoy playing games in a different way from you?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Len posted:

Some people enjoy playing games in a different way from you?

This is totally fair, but the Souls series also benefit from organic development of your character and discovery of the world through interacting with it (esp. items) in a way that few games even attempt. Someone using a 100% checklist on their first playthrough is getting an experience that is, in my opinion, greatly diminished. To each their own though, you're right on that point.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Chard posted:

This is totally fair, but the Souls series also benefit from organic development of your character and discovery of the world through interacting with it (esp. items) in a way that few games even attempt. Someone using a 100% checklist on their first playthrough is getting an experience that is, in my opinion, greatly diminished. To each their own though, you're right on that point.

It's gotten tougher and tougher for me to go through games without looking up poo poo on the internet a few times, partly because games are ~60-80 hours long and I'm not going through it twice when I have a backlog of other stuff to play and I don't want to miss all the cool poo poo because of something I did at hour 6, and partly because I don't want to get a derp ending due to the same reasons.

I think for me it started with the FFXII Zodiac Spear chest, but if anything it's gotten worse in recent games as far as the effects that tiny decisions have on your game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's fair, but in Dark Souls you finish the game the same whether you've seen 50% of the content or 100%, so you don't miss anything by not using a guide. There's no hidden superbosses like in a Final Fantasy game or the like. Seeing things vs missing them just makes your own little Dark Souls story different.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

It's gotten tougher and tougher for me to go through games without looking up poo poo on the internet a few times, partly because games are ~60-80 hours long and I'm not going through it twice when I have a backlog of other stuff to play and I don't want to miss all the cool poo poo because of something I did at hour 6, and partly because I don't want to get a derp ending due to the same reasons.

I think for me it started with the FFXII Zodiac Spear chest, but if anything it's gotten worse in recent games as far as the effects that tiny decisions have on your game.

The Zodiac Spear chest is ridiculous, even with the (negligible) hints in the game. However, getting it pretty much breaks the game. I got it as soon as I was able to get into the Necrohol (through the Salikawood), and made sure Basch had the license for it by that time. The game basically became a joke at that point. Tore up every enemy except like the last few elite marks.
Mind you, it's super hard to get right away even if you know where it is AND haven't opened the forbidden chests; the goblins and poo poo in the Necrohol one-shot you if you go there as early as possible.

e: that was like the fourth time I'd played through it though, so it was super fun to have a ridiculously over-powered weapon. stab stab stab

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's fair, but in Dark Souls you finish the game the same whether you've seen 50% of the content or 100%, so you don't miss anything by not using a guide. There's no hidden superbosses like in a Final Fantasy game or the like. Seeing things vs missing them just makes your own little Dark Souls story different.

Yeah, but you have to admit that everything about a Souls game makes you desperately want to chase after every tiny edge you can get, especially early on. There are multiple places where not knowing the trick or the build will greatly increase the difficulty and you can only throw yourself at a fight so many times before you start wondering if there's a better way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but you have to admit that everything about a Souls game makes you desperately want to chase after every tiny edge you can get, especially early on. There are multiple places where not knowing the trick or the build will greatly increase the difficulty and you can only throw yourself at a fight so many times before you start wondering if there's a better way.

That's very true, but I think there's a marked difference between that and playing with a 100% areas all-items walkthrough 100 pixels to the right of the game window though. I agree with the guy that said there is no way to play a game "wrong" but there are ways to play that will in the long run only hamper your enjoyment of it even if at first it seems like it's helping.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Part of the reason it bugs me is because he's three times as good as I was the first time I played, so it's totally unnecessary. He's really never gotten stuck on anything yet. When I first played it was just wall after wall after wall until I beat quelaag and then it was better after that.

Obviously it's just a game and it's his choice to spoil everything, I just think it's a choice that's very evidently going to make it a worse experience.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Part of the reason it bugs me is because he's three times as good as I was the first time I played, so it's totally unnecessary. He's really never gotten stuck on anything yet.

Obviously it's just a game and it's his choice to spoil everything, I just think it's a choice that's very evidently going to make it a worse experience.

It may just be that the whole discovery aspect isn't their cup of tea you know. Like maybe they're just really into the whole combat expertise thing. While I agree it's wrong but that would be if I'm the one that's playing it. Like how so many people hate spoilers there are a few that like knowing whats going to happen ahead of time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My favorite little thing about games is how even with multiple dedicated threads to hating on games, the one dedicated to neat things people like ends up getting derailed by more dumb arguments

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sometimes when you're spoiled it's fun looking for foreshadowing that leads up to the thing that you already know happens

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I laugh every single time I shoot a dynamite/grenade on some dude's belt in New Vegas causing them to blow up. I laugh even harder when I shoot it in their hand or in the air and it blows up in their face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe you can target dynamite/grenades that are currently in flight in VATS, too. VATS is really good for its potential to humiliate your opponents (The 99% damage immunity helps too). :v:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I laugh every single time I shoot a dynamite/grenade on some dude's belt in New Vegas causing them to blow up. I laugh even harder when I shoot it in their hand or in the air and it blows up in their face.

I have finished New Vegas 4 times, started it on new characters at least a dozen times, and I did not know this.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

flatluigi posted:

My favorite little thing about games is how even with multiple dedicated threads to hating on games, the one dedicated to neat things people like ends up getting derailed by more dumb arguments

hmmm yeah that's an excellent contribution to make about your favourite video game

I'm playing Donkey Kong 64 because I am a cool-retro gamer and a big game mechanic is switching between the 5 Kongs in these barrels throughout each level. Every time you hover over a character they do some little jig or point at themselves because they want you to pick them. If you switch away they kick the dirt or act pissed because you past over them. Except for Chunky Kong. When you hover over Chunky he panics and tries to get you to pick Tiny instead and if you switch away from him he wipes his forehead in relief. He's just a big ol' softie

also dk rap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcP91tQ4ZSM

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

princecoo posted:

I have finished New Vegas 4 times, started it on new characters at least a dozen times, and I did not know this.

It so happens that the best places to cultivate this behavior is with the Powder Gangers near the start. Three dudes all priming sticks of dynamite? Shoot one from their hands and they all go off at once. The explosion is unholy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
GTA 5 has an Insult Button for Trevor and it's the best button in the game, he has personalized insults for women, men, fat guys, old people, police, gangsters, rednecks as well as the more general generic insults.

But that's not all, he has insults specially for Ron, who agrees with everything Trevor says, this also applies to Michael's family, Trevor mostly makes fat jokes to Jimmy.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

princecoo posted:

I found this out only by accident because occasionally enemies will shoot my grenades out of the air. It's also pretty fun to shoot weapons out of their hands, especially if it breaks in the process (or you pick it back up first) and then they just have to resort to punching you.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Feb 17, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kimmalah posted:

I found this out only by accident because occasionally enemies will shoot my grenades out of the air. It's also pretty fun to shoot weapons out of their hands, especially if it breaks in the process (or you pick it back up first) and then they just have to resort to punching you.

Oh yeah this is another great thing about Fallout/VATS. You can actually destroy enemy weapons by targeting them. Or if you're being chased by a scary melee enemy then just shoot them in the legs to cripple them while you run away to fire more shots.

I miss the ability to target eyes though, you could target an opponent in the eyes in fallout 2 which had a chance to blind them.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Feb 17, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

princecoo posted:

The option is only brought up once in dialogue, in the Dead Money DLC. In classic New Vegas fashion, the enemies in that DLC are bugged so you can't actually shoot the explosives out of their hands.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Another FC4 thing. I was doing one of those "protect these people from the attacking animals" mini-quests and I accidentally shot the grenade launcher near an ammo crate and everything exploded. It wasn't just in a huge explosion though, it was like fireworks were going off. You could hear individual bullets going off and grenades exploding.

Of course the guys I was protecting were standing next to it and didn't move went it all went off and they all burned to death and I had to start over.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Feb 17, 2015

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm playing Yakuza 4 between segments of Majora, and dear sweet Jesus there is so much to do. I especially love the pretty princess dress up in the hostess club run by Akiyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Away all Goats posted:

Oh yeah this is another great thing about Fallout/VATS. You can actually destroy enemy weapons by targeting them. Or if you're being chased by a scary melee enemy then just shoot them in the legs to cripple them while you run away to fire more shots.

Say what you will about Fallout 3 (and I really don't want to get into that debate again), but holy poo poo do I miss the dart gun whenever a deathclaw charges at me in New Vegas. Although there is something kind of funny about desperately plinking at their legs before I get clawed to death.