Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Here's the comprehensive list of games that use wii controls in a not lovely way (and aren't gimmick party games like wario ware or wii sports):
- Metroid prime 3
- resident evil 4

-Sin and Punishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

-mario strikers charged
-dbz tenkaichi 3

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

grapple lasso's a pain in the rear end to use during combat

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah the notion of any Metroid game not requiring backtracking is hilariously naive. I can see an argument for Metroid II, but it's still pretty weak. Mandatory backtracking is kind of an essential characteristic of the entire series' (or, really, the entire "metroidvania" genre) design.

2's backtracking was on the level of "Oh you killed X Metroids a random environmental feature has deactivated now you can go further into SR388 ps we won't tell you which feature it was"

it's loving terrible

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only place I don't like backtracking in Metroid Prime 1 is Phendrana's Edge. It's stupid and far away and I hate it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime 1 doesn't require backtracking, except for maybe one or two artifacts. If you know where you're going the game just flows continuously

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

-Sin and Punishment

Right I forgot that. Thanks

Bobnumerotres posted:

-mario strikers charged
-dbz tenkaichi 3

Never played strikers, but I remember my friend rented one of those tenkaichi games and I agree the motion controls were pretty neat

Chucat posted:

2's backtracking was on the level of "Oh you killed X Metroids a random environmental feature has deactivated now you can go further into SR388 ps we won't tell you which feature it was"

it's loving terrible

Oh right. I was thinking more in terms of going back towards the surface rather than trying to remember which chambers on the same level had acid and spending like an hour running around to find out which one drained.

Irritating as gently caress

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
all you do is go down. keep going down until you hit lava. there's maybe like one part where you have to backtrack up the tunnel. it's the easiest to navigate metroid game by far.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it would still have benefited from a map system of some sort though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

i don't think they've done this, but they have said that future 3D metroid games would be in the style of the Metroid Prime games, as opposed to Other M

Neither of those things are true.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/13/nintendo-considering-two-kinds-metroid-games/

quote:

“So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game,” Takahashi continued. “We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them.”

quote:

Earlier in the year, Miyamoto stated that Retro Studios, who have been working on a new project since November, are “a very high priority in terms of the potential team that would be considered for working on a Metroid game”.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's really cool how in the tunnel that leads to the phazon mines elevator in Magmoor caverns, you can look out the window and see the impact crater. You also see the impact crater out of the elevators in phazon mines. The world is really well stitched together.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

It's really cool how in the tunnel that leads to the phazon mines elevator in Magmoor caverns, you can look out the window and see the impact crater. You also see the impact crater out of the elevators in phazon mines. The world is really well stitched together.
Yeah, it's fantastic. It feels really natural and makes exploration and backtracking more fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice av.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, Games made it for me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Thanks, Games made it for me.

*scene from family guy where brian pukes for a whole minute when he finds out he slept with a trans woman*

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

That you don't notice it in Prime may be an indication of how well they masked it in that game, but I'm honestly not sure how anyone wouldn't notice it. Did you play it blindfolded, seiferguy? Try playing it while not blindfolded next time.

I guess I should have clarified that statement by saying that Prime handles backtracking the best of the 3 Prime games. Prime 2 had way too much artifact hunting and Prime 3 has the planet-hopping. Playing Prime then going to Prime 2 makes it highly noticeable.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
prime 2's artifacts are only marginally more annoying to collect. you just have to make a mental note that whenever you see a dead keybearer, there's going to be a key in the dark world version of that room. the worst part about them is that you can't collect a lot of them until the very end but even that's not that big of a deal imo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AHungryRobot posted:

prime 2's artifacts are only marginally more annoying to collect. you just have to make a mental note that whenever you see a dead keybearer, there's going to be a key in the dark world version of that room. the worst part about them is that you can't collect a lot of them until the very end but even that's not that big of a deal imo.

It's not just that though. It's kinda littered throughout the game. Just got the spider ball in Sanctuary Fortress? Great! Now hike your rear end allll the way back to the bottom of Torvus Bog to get the Power Bomb. As soon as you get that, go straight back to Sky Fortress.

Couldn't they have just stuck the power bomb somewhere in Sky Fortress?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The spider ball opens up so many item collection opportunities in the previous areas that you should be going back anyway. And once you get the power bomb there's a transport you can take from torvus that takes you right back to sanctuary.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's just frustrating having to go back to Torvus at all, imo

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

seiferguy posted:

It's not just that though. It's kinda littered throughout the game. Just got the spider ball in Sanctuary Fortress? Great! Now hike your rear end allll the way back to the bottom of Torvus Bog to get the Power Bomb. As soon as you get that, go straight back to Sky Fortress.

Couldn't they have just stuck the power bomb somewhere in Sky Fortress?

i hope you and everyone else are sitting down for this, cause i'm gonna blow your mind here: metroid prime 2 has less backtracking than prime 1.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

AHungryRobot posted:

i hope you and everyone else are sitting down for this, cause i'm gonna blow your mind here: metroid prime 2 has less backtracking than prime 1.

If that is true, then there's still this problem:

Looper posted:

It's just frustrating having to go back to Torvus at all, imo

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

If that is true, then there's still this problem:

whether you are or are not annoyed by backtracking is a whole other can of worms that we could spend pages debating. i'm just pointing out that with regards to backtracking, prime 2 isn't really uniquely awful.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Thanks. :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AHungryRobot posted:

That's not true, don't spread lies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This Metroid game that makes you visit the same temple every time you beat a main boss so you can sit through a cutscene has LESS backtracking than the flawlessly design Metroid game that has an optimal path. Logic'd.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody complains about Chozo ghosts, but I was more annoyed by the room where you get power bombs with the four Ice Pirates. I killed those Ice Pirates a lot.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This Metroid game that makes you visit the same temple every time you beat a main boss so you can sit through a cutscene has LESS backtracking than the flawlessly design Metroid game that has an optimal path. Logic'd.

The main temple is the hub that always immediately leads to the next area. I really don't get this complaint at all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

And I don't think you're actually required to return to the light room at all until it's time to get the concept car suit

which was awesome btw because it gave you a power you really goddamn need in echoes: fast travel

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where am I supposed to go after I get the dark suit and re-energize whatever that stupid thing was

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Back to the Great Temple, there's a new door you can open that leads to Torvus Bog.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

And I don't think you're actually required to return to the light room at all until it's time to get the concept car suit

which was awesome btw because it gave you a power you really goddamn need in echoes: fast travel

you kind of are unless you know the skips, the paths from that main hub are the only paths you're supposed to be able to take with your suit upgrades.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
you ahve to acquire Google Translate, Bing Translate, and Babelfish to continue with the game and luminoth ghost buddies have 'em

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

but as others said, that's not ~really~ backtracking since you're just going back to the main hub to go to the other part of the world. but the story poo poo is really loving annoying. mothula says some poo poo i skip every time "hey samus thanks but the ing are like REALLY evil" ughhh.

mp3 was the worst but it was already pretty evident in MP2 that the devs didn't understand a minimalist story in metroid was good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bobnumerotres posted:

you kind of are unless you know the skips, the paths from that main hub are the only paths you're supposed to be able to take with your suit upgrades.

yes, but you don't have to go up the elevator to the room with the luminoth

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bobnumerotres posted:

but as others said, that's not ~really~ backtracking since you're just going back to the main hub to go to the other part of the world. but the story poo poo is really loving annoying. mothula says some poo poo i skip every time "hey samus thanks but the ing are like REALLY evil" ughhh.

mp3 was the worst but it was already pretty evident in MP2 that the devs didn't understand a minimalist story in metroid was good

I didn't think the story was too invasive in MP2. Granted, both Prime 1 and 2 do a pretty good job of letting you choose how much the story you want to get involved in, since you can read lores at your own leisure.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Back to the Great Temple, there's a new door you can open that leads to Torvus Bog.

Mak0rz posted:

yes, but you don't have to go up the elevator to the room with the luminoth

I WENT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE AND FOUND A DOOR BLOCKED BY A PSYCHIC SHIELD SO I WANDERED AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD TO FIND WHERE TO loving GO. gently caress YOU MOTH MAN PIECE OF poo poo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ralp posted:

I WENT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE AND FOUND A DOOR BLOCKED BY A PSYCHIC SHIELD SO I WANDERED AROUND THE WHOLE WORLD TO FIND WHERE TO loving GO. gently caress YOU MOTH MAN PIECE OF poo poo

Yeah I'm pretty sure you have to talk to U-Mos and skip his cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ralp posted:

if you scan the shield it literally tells you to go talk to mothman before you can proceed

which is loving stupid as hell

• Locked thread