Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

##unvote ##vote rarity

straight up she just scumclaimed. she got a fakeclaim because she's a scumbo and she's trying to slip that fakeclaim "accidentally" to make it seem legitimate.

let's do this toot toot

How is any of Rarity's post accidental? I don't agree with this interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Chili posted:

Good Christ, I got town again. It’s literally been over 3 years since I’ve drawn scum.

Oh well.

Let’s do something productive before Better Call Saul airs.

Two people are pinging already:

Asiina is posting far too much Skyrim related bullshit, and it’s coming across as forced.

And then there’s Anonymous Narcotics

This post:

is contrived and is probably coming from new/clever scum.

Also, I think ecco is town, and I’m pissed about it.

This whole post just feels insincere and fake. The first line especially. "Wow guys, I'm town again. Can you believe it??"

Don't agree that Asiina's posting seems forced and the comment on Ecco is just more "I'm so town, right guys?"

##vote Chili

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

CapitalistPig posted:

On to mafia

Its too early for this poo poo people.

All the serious arguments are dumb and stupid right now.

This is a scummy post though.

Agreed.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

which doesn't actually invalidate my point at all if you were given fakeclaims

What's the logic here? I've looked it up, she did this as town in Utopfia. I can see that it's annoying when people go "Hey, I do this scummy thing all the time! :v:". But it doesn't really change the fact the she did this before as town, so this is null.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

On the other hand, Rarity, I looked up your last 6 finished games and Utopfia was the only one where I saw you flavor claiming D1. Could you give some other examples?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShadowGlass posted:

On the other hand, Rarity, I looked up your last 6 finished games and Utopfia was the only one where I saw you flavor claiming D1. Could you give some other examples?

Well one of the one's I was thinking of was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? but I just checked and we picked our favourite countries for that so I guess that doesn't count. I definitely did it in Fan Fiction Mafia though.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Chili posted:

Good Christ, I got town again. It’s literally been over 3 years since I’ve drawn scum.

Oh well.
Riiiight...

Chili posted:

Asiina is posting far too much Skyrim related bullshit, and it’s coming across as forced.
There were a bunch of people posting Skyrim bullshit. How did Asiina stand out? I've read back and I didn't find her posts forced at all.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Talking about forced:

Abyssal Squid posted:

This is probably gonna bite me in the rear end but I feel like Chili's gotta be town because there's no way scum would act so dopey on day 1.
Awkward buddying.

Abyssal Squid posted:

That's where it turns around and bites me in the rear end!
Hanging a lantern on it. "Oh gee, my post was so bad, tee-hee!"

Abyssal Squid posted:

I'd rather vote for a lurker than somebody who's said anything at all, but with 10 votes to kill I don't know if it'd be possible to build a bandwagon on someone in particular in time. I'll vote for Rarity or Byers if it'll make 'em claim, though, or if nobody better comes along.
What is this even!? "I'll vote anyone if it lets me do some role fishing!".

#vote Squid

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

##vote Squid

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Well one of the one's I was thinking of was Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? but I just checked and we picked our favourite countries for that so I guess that doesn't count. I definitely did it in Fan Fiction Mafia though.

OMG, what did I just read? I was too curious, I've looked at the thread (not just your posts). 22 pages before D1 even starts? WTF!?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShadowGlass posted:

OMG, what did I just read? I was too curious, I've looked at the thread (not just your posts). 22 pages before D1 even starts? WTF!?

Fan Fiction was less a mafia game and more a shared experience of torture

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Guys I seriously dreamed about this game last night what are you goons doing to me

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This whole post just feels insincere and fake. The first line especially. "Wow guys, I'm town again. Can you believe it??"

Don't agree that Asiina's posting seems forced and the comment on Ecco is just more "I'm so town, right guys?"

##vote Chili

That's fine.

For what it's worth, I got the PM that I was subbing in and I immediately started putting that post together, before I even got my role PM. When I did, I just threw that OH BOY I'M TOWN GUYS thing at the top.

Also:

Rarity posted:

It means you're taking a thing I do and saying it's scummy when it's just a thing I do.

Yeah, ecco is right, and you're not really getting why:

the mod posted:

Flavor will likely offer clues to role and/or alignment, so be VERY careful about making flavor arguments or claiming your flavor. If you really want to, you can, but don't say you weren't warned.

It doesn't matter if this is a thing you do or not, you claimed a character that has ties to one of the two warring factions. It's highly likely that these two factions are making up our scum team. The mod went out of their way to explain to us that flavor plays a role in alignment.

You are probably scum.

##vote Rarity

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chili posted:

Yeah, ecco is right, and you're not really getting why:

It doesn't matter if this is a thing you do or not, you claimed a character that has ties to one of the two warring factions. It's highly likely that these two factions are making up our scum team. The mod went out of their way to explain to us that flavor plays a role in alignment.

You are probably scum.

##vote Rarity

Oh my god this is stupid, I am nowhere near that dumb.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

##unvote ##vote rarity

straight up she just scumclaimed. she got a fakeclaim because she's a scumbo and she's trying to slip that fakeclaim "accidentally" to make it seem legitimate.

let's do this toot toot

Chili posted:

Wait so Rarity claimed Hadvar, is Hadvar supposed to be obviously town (because it's a fakeclaim) or is the guy obviously scum? :confused:

Chili your argument against Rarity doesn't make any sense, and neither did pouncing on Asiina for talking to CPig about Skyrim. Your flip day 1 "oh he's town" comments without anything to back them up are also really weird.

##vote Chili

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Asiina posted:

Byers did the exact same thing, almost word for word, that Rarity did.

Almost as though it were a joke, yeah? Kynareth saves us from jokes occurring in jokephase!

Glockenapfel posted:

Mirmulnir is an rear end in a top hat.

##vote Byers

Mirmulnir always gave me a warm feeling!

Abyssal Squid posted:

I don't really like the case against Rarity either because fakeclaiming on your first contentpost seems like a super dumb thing to do, but straight-up claiming your actual flavor is pretty dumb too. If you don't know who your character is, ask outside the thread! Ask someone who has nothing to do with SA so there's no chance of spoiling the jury.

I'd rather vote for a lurker than somebody who's said anything at all, but with 10 votes to kill I don't know if it'd be possible to build a bandwagon on someone in particular in time. I'll vote for Rarity or Byers if it'll make 'em claim, though, or if nobody better comes along.

36 hours. We are 36 hours from deadline, and Black Hole Cephalopod is talking about not having time to build a bandwagon? Squid, how long do you think it realistically takes to get a majority vote on someone if 36 hours isn't enough time?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Byers2142 posted:

36 hours. We are 36 hours from deadline, and Black Hole Cephalopod is talking about not having time to build a bandwagon? Squid, how long do you think it realistically takes to get a majority vote on someone if 36 hours isn't enough time?

I genuinely have no clue, I've only been in a couple of games before and never in a really big one. I also have no idea what town is supposed to accomplish on Day 1 other than "make sure you kill somebody," and Meinberg says "it shouldn't be a lurker." Beyond that I've got the wikis, which don't really have any advice for Day 1.

Also everybody loves the ocean depths, home of the critters.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Good Sir posted:

Hi, I'm confirming. Sorry for lurking first day, I had a lot going on but will have free time daily for the remainder of the game. I've kept up with the thread. I'm pretty new to mafia, I played two or three games a long time ago and this is my second game since then. No idea yet who to vote first day.

:P

:thejoke:

Rarity posted:

Fan Fiction was less a mafia game and more a shared experience of torture

Fan fiction was the greatest. The audio clips were amazing.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Abyssal Squid posted:

Also everybody loves the ocean depths, home of the critters.

Which light doesn't travel to, thus a black hole.

Why are you so quick to jump and appease people when they question you? After your "would vote to force a claim" post, you got two quick response, one a case and one a "this is bad" post. Suddenly, you went from "I don't really like the case against Rarity" to "that makes me feel a little better about the case."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I was making lousy train-of-thought posts, which now I realize clutter up the thread and generally make things harder for town, especially in large games. I moved from "this case is unsupported but there's nothing better atm" to "there's some tenuous support for this case" which yeah, shouldn't have merited a post. Beyond that, there wasn't really anything to comment on at the time.

I need to get some sleep. :I

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

How is any of Rarity's post accidental? I don't agree with this interpretation.

Accidental is in quotes because it's not actually accidental, it is deliberate on Rarity's part, but she wants it to look like an accidental flavor reveal.

Game Points:
1) This game explicitly tells us to be more careful with our flavor since flavor isn't just for taste, it actually matters this game.
2) The setup gimmick is two scum factions.

1 & 2 imply strongly that the mafia(s) would be given fakeclaims: since flavor matters it's almost certain that each scumteam has its own flavor, and someone accidentally claiming a character whose flavor makes them part of Scum Faction A would instantly out themselves to both the town and Scum Faction B. Plus, with everyone having a unique character from the game, the chance of accidentally counter-flavor-claiming is actually possible (e.g., "you're not Hadvar, I'm Hadvar!"). A prudent mod would give the scumteam fakeclaims both to avoid outing themselves in case they have to claim their flavor, and to avoid being counterclaimed by poor luck.

If it is true that the scum are given fakeclaims, I could very easily see (and do see) a scum-Rarity thinking, "hey, I know! I normally claim in my first posts of D1, so I'll do it with my fakeclaim this time. That way I don't actually out myself (since my fakeclaim flavor puts me as someone not on Scum Faction B), but still get to play like I normally do. And if people call me out on it I can just go, 'gosh, whoops, sorry! oh no! I hope it turns out ok!' But of course it would, because I am evil, mwa ha ha ha." (it is well-established Rarity has perfected her evil laugh.)

Is it a "slam dunk?" Of course not. Is it "A SCUMSLIPPPP"? Only a little. But it's still pretty nice to go on in the first 24 hours of d1.

======

Also I want to emphasize that Chili does not speak for me, we are independent people, and what he says re: my case are his own words. :sax:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I woke up at 7 to check the roads, saw they were bad, called up my boss and told her I wasn't coming in.

Then I checked mafia. Realized that Rarity was obviously scum for the horrible scum slip.

Then I posted/voted.

Then I went back to bed.

Then I had a dream that we were voting off the university of Harvard.

Then I woke up, and realized that this was a really stupid pursuit, and Rarity is probably not scum for it.

So I'm going to pretend none of this ever happened. If you would all kindly do the same, it would be much appreciated.

##unvote

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Also, I'm liking Byers for scum now.

##vote Byers

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Abyssal Squid posted:

I don't really like the case against Rarity either because fakeclaiming on your first contentpost seems like a super dumb thing to do, but straight-up claiming your actual flavor is pretty dumb too. If you don't know who your character is, ask outside the thread! Ask someone who has nothing to do with SA so there's no chance of spoiling the jury.

Seems like someone's given a lot of thought about how to handle a potentially scummy role flavor!

Abyssal Squid posted:

Abyssal Squid posted:

I think I've got expectations set way too high for what town can accomplish on day 1. :I

Oh no poor town we will never get anywhere today!! How are we supposed to lynch scum?! We might as well just give up

Abyssal Squid posted:

I've played in a couple of games before, but day 1 is still really confusing to me, especially since there's been clear choices before (like the guy saying "hey we shouldn't kill anyone on day 1"). I mostly to see everybody say something before I jump on the first bandwagon of the game.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Wait so Rarity claimed Hadvar, is Hadvar supposed to be obviously town (because it's a fakeclaim) or is the guy obviously scum? :confused:

Chili your argument against Rarity doesn't make any sense, and neither did pouncing on Asiina for talking to CPig about Skyrim. Your flip day 1 "oh he's town" comments without anything to back them up are also really weird.

##vote Chili

I want to see everybody say something before I jump on the first bandwagon of the game *immediately jumps on first bandwagon of the game to deflect suspicion*

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Fan Fiction was less a mafia game and more a beautiful dream.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This case against Rarity is very dumb. I will not vote for her because she said her flavour name.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Byers2142 posted:

Almost as though it were a joke, yeah? Kynareth saves us from jokes occurring in jokephase!

There are no jokes in skyrim. Just cold and sadness and dying to a dragon because some rear end in a top hat fast traveled into your city.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Seems like someone's given a lot of thought about how to handle a potentially scummy role flavor!

Oh no poor town we will never get anywhere today!! How are we supposed to lynch scum?! We might as well just give up

I want to see everybody say something before I jump on the first bandwagon of the game *immediately jumps on first bandwagon of the game to deflect suspicion*

I like this post a lot, looks like genuine SCUMHUNTER-ing. Feeling town on this guy.

Squid's posts have definitely been scummy.

##vote Squid

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking they're probably both scum. I'd vote byers first though bc if Rarity is posting stuff like that thinking we don't know its fakeclaiming, they're probably pretty dumb/weak (sorrynotsorry) and I'd rather get the strong player out first.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

but then again I'm a total noob and maybe don't know what I'm talking about

These posts are bad, but I don't know if it's "new person saying a dumb thing and then hedging because they're new" bad or "new person saying a dumb thing and getting scolded by the scum team" bad.

Trying to hang Byers because he mimicked Rarity who might have been setting up her fakeclaim is a serious stretch of a case. It's pretty much unbelievable.

The immediately going back on it is bad too.

If you're going to suggest your dumb thing, then stick with your dumb thing. If not then why even post it in the first place?

I think both the suggestions and the immediate hedging of it makes him look bad.

Would vote.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Epsilon Plus posted:

Well gently caress with two confirmed town I better slow my roll ##unvote

Epsilon Plus posted:

j/k ##vote Abyssal Squid

EP is sassy in this game. I don't think this is a town or scum tell, but I am enjoying his posting.

Alright I'm going to have lunch now.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
##vote asiina

I got a cop investigation and shes a scum.

SCUM I SAY

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CapitalistPig posted:

##vote asiina

I got a cop investigation and shes a scum.

SCUM I SAY

I think you're being ~disingenuous~

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Meinberg posted:

I think you're being ~disingenuous~

Stop flailing meinberg

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh Pig :allears:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Abyssal Squid posted:

##vote Chili

I'd like to note that if one of Abyssal Squid or Chili flips scum, I feel that this could be a pretty good example of a scum interacting with each other to look "town".

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

ShadowGlass posted:

What's the logic here? I've looked it up, she did this as town in Utopfia. I can see that it's annoying when people go "Hey, I do this scummy thing all the time! :v:". But it doesn't really change the fact the she did this before as town, so this is null.

It doesn't null anything. On the other hand, referring to meta to explain actions like "kinda, maybe flavor claims" is dumb as hell, so.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Epsilon plus sent me a PM stating that he was scum.

##vote epsilon plus

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

It's been too long, CPig :allears:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I even took a screenshot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005