Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

incoherent posted:

Confluence. Cheap and in the cloud.

Seconding this, we use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Windows admins: Do any of you actually use InTune? I want to know if this poo poo is actually being used in the field or if it's basically just padding in 70-688.

We use it for mobile device management, mostly. It's pretty neat and really cut down on the amount of calls we receive for locked accounts due to bad passwords on mobile devices (which are automagically updated now).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

And 5 other names for the iSeries that they had for what seemed like 3 months then dropped :v:
$product-name-this-week

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sirotan posted:

Go Blue! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyrV-AmwNHM

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Jeoh posted:

We use it for mobile device management, mostly. It's pretty neat and really cut down on the amount of calls we receive for locked accounts due to bad passwords on mobile devices (which are automagically updated now).

I wish I had known that at my last job. We used to get 5-15 calls a week for people's phones locking out accounts after their password expired. They may have even spent the money on it too.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I will definitely hit you up closer to the date. Never been to the big house but I look forward to it.

There's a few of us around here, hit me up too if it becomes A Thing. The Big House is a spectacle, hopefully the seats will be filled this year since everyone is convinced Harbaugh is basically Jesus.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Agrikk posted:

I cannot heap enough filth upon Infosys. gently caress them forever.

TATA is just as bad, if not worse.

I worked with them on a project for a 3rd party. (TATA was our customer, on behalf of another very large company)

After about nine months of a stalled project, TATA was fired, and they cancelled the outsourcing project to be re-engineered. This also blew up a multi billion (According to the 3rd company) product launch.

None of the TATA engineers I worked with understood a lick of windows or UNIX. Very few of them even understood how IP subnetting. We hjad to rebuild the environment four times because TATA didn't understand the customer's requirements. When one of my engineers DARED to reach out directly to the 3rd party customer, TATA threatened to sue us.

We're currently in talks with that 3rd company to replace TATA, but now that we're all supposed to be outsourced to india, I don't expect that to continue.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Collateral Damage posted:

$product-name-this-week

Here's a good rundown. The left is hardware and the right software we could even throw in a little System 32/36 if you really wanted.

AS/400 - OS/400
iSeries or eServer iSeries
System i - i5/OS
Power Systems - IBM i

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you got them all! :cripes:

I think at least 3? ish of those name changes all happened within a 5 year period too. I started at my current place in 2009, and between the system here when I started and the 2 physical upgrades we've had since then, I think all three had different branded labels on the bezels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We just call it "The IBM". Going to office-space the gently caress out of it when we switch to NetSuite.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bob Morales posted:

We just call it "The IBM". Going to office-space the gently caress out of it when we switch to NetSuite.

Ebay that sucker, IBM Power systems hardware is $$$$$$ even old/used/out of date as hell.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Gwaihir posted:

Ebay that sucker, IBM Power systems hardware is $$$$$$ even old/used/out of date as hell.

That's so companies like mine can continue to run our ancient awful IBM mainframe because why change it if it works right! :negative:

We even have a big windows/unix environment that runs a lot of jobs, but the old guard is keeping a lot of dbs and importantly out-of-company file transfer locked down to mainframe only.

That's ok though, I'd much rather debug/troubleshoot error code:4 while manhandling f keys than read verbose and googleable 2012 .net errors in .txt files

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you want job security, learn Cobol, OS/400 and/or a mainframe system. Those systems will be around until the heat death of the universe because of how risk averse businesses that use them are and will rather pump millions into keeping the old, tried and tested systems running than chance replacing them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I would do that it cobol weren't the absolute worst thing. As much as I'd love to have a job doing data sorting in a language/environment I hate for the rest of my life, I think maybe instead I'll not commit career seppuku.

It's true though, the cobol folks around here have easily been here for 30 years on average.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Dudley posted:

Seconding this, we use it.

Speaking of confluence has anyone seen anything that goes into making better looking articles or examples? I wish I had time to experiment but my time is so limited on documentation at work.

Eldercain posted:

I would do that it cobol weren't the absolute worst thing. As much as I'd love to have a job doing data sorting in a language/environment I hate for the rest of my life, I think maybe instead I'll not commit career seppuku.

It's true though, the cobol folks around here have easily been here for 30 years on average.

Just think in 20 years when people are supporting buzzword javascript critical infrastructure systems.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If you want job security, learn Cobol, OS/400 and/or a mainframe system. Those systems will be around until the heat death of the universe because of how risk averse businesses that use them are and will rather pump millions into keeping the old, tried and tested systems running than chance replacing them.

Yes and no.

With the market and solutions available it's an acceptable time to at least consider moving off Midrange. I know of few companies that are booked for years to pick through COBOL and re-write it in .net or alternatively just get your midrange environment hosted and it's someone else's responsibility to maintain.

One of the biggest drawbacks is unlike literally every other technology company Midrange resources and training are behind lock and key. There's no Sybex, CBT Nuggets or SA Midrange thread but there is a mailing list! If you want to truly know what you're doing you need to shell out $4-$5k to an IBM Training Partner.

You'll also need your own lab and you can't spin up a midrange vm on your laptop.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

ghostinmyshell posted:

Speaking of confluence has anyone seen anything that goes into making better looking articles or examples? I wish I had time to experiment but my time is so limited on documentation at work.
Confluence supports custom templates. Formatting from there is point and click like Office (what's the name for this again?)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Yes and no.

With the market and solutions available it's an acceptable time to at least consider moving off Midrange. I know of few companies that are booked for years to pick through COBOL and re-write it in .net or alternatively just get your midrange environment hosted and it's someone else's responsibility to maintain.

One of the biggest drawbacks is unlike literally every other technology company Midrange resources and training are behind lock and key. There's no Sybex, CBT Nuggets or SA Midrange thread but there is a mailing list! If you want to truly know what you're doing you need to shell out $4-$5k to an IBM Training Partner.

You'll also need your own lab and you can't spin up a midrange vm on your laptop.

That's true- And probably also why IBM themselves have been pushing just running Linux or AIX on the same Power midrange hardware. I don't really mind the i5/OS though personally. It's pretty damned easy to pick up so long as you aren't terrified of command lines or something. Even if you are (you bad) there's the GUI based iseries access stuff as well, even though it's not super great. And it has plenty of sysadmin/usability/automation tools built in. I'm a pretty big fan of the ability to trivially dump the output of all sorts of commands right to database tables, it makes some stuff that takes more effort on a windows environment much less hassle.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Roargasm posted:

Confluence supports custom templates. Formatting from there is point and click like Office (what's the name for this again?)

WYSIWYG (pronounced wizzy-wig)

What You See Is What You Get

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
5:15pm rolls around, great just 15 more minutes and it's time to go h-

:siren: Explorer.exe suddenly crashes across the board on all users machine's :siren:

"Oh my god! I was just in the middle of typing a document!"
"Is anyone else's computer locking up?"
"NO! I've been writing this letter for an hour!"

:stonk:

Of course windows fixes itself after a few minutes. I added in permissions for a new user group of a giant folder which I left running for a bit; perhaps we really are need of the newer server sooner than we think.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Super Slash posted:

5:15pm rolls around, great just 15 more minutes and it's time to go h-

:siren: Explorer.exe suddenly crashes across the board on all users machine's :siren:

"Oh my god! I was just in the middle of typing a document!"
"Is anyone else's computer locking up?"
"NO! I've been writing this letter for an hour!"

:stonk:

Of course windows fixes itself after a few minutes. I added in permissions for a new user group of a giant folder which I left running for a bit; perhaps we really are need of the newer server sooner than we think.

Forgive me if I'm clueless here, what does Explorer crashing on multiple users machines have to do with an old server? Plus, Explorer crashing is about 15 seconds of recovery time, unless you are running Windows XP or something.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mrit posted:

Forgive me if I'm clueless here, what does Explorer crashing on multiple users machines have to do with an old server? Plus, Explorer crashing is about 15 seconds of recovery time, unless you are running Windows XP or something.

If the server softlocks due to the disk subsystem going from 10 ms service time to 2,000 ms service time (because you told it to update permissions on 100k file entries), most client machines that try to touch the server to update directory metadata or do any file tasks will also softlock waiting on I/O. Once the server comes back from disk latency purgatory, it'll generally recover gracefully and the clients will stop locking and go about their day.

If it lasts longer than 30-90 seconds, some clients will abort with a generic 'disk IO error, please reattach disk and/or go gently caress yourself'.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Just as clueless as me really, it's the end of the day so nothing remotely intensive would be going on. We're also a small very cramped open plan office, I'm not mentally prepared for everyone losing their poo poo over problems when the remainder of Pancake Day awaits at home :(

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If the server softlocks due to the disk subsystem going from 10 ms service time to 2,000 ms service time (because you told it to update permissions on 100k file entries), most client machines that try to touch the server to update directory metadata or do any file tasks will also softlock waiting on I/O. Once the server comes back from disk latency purgatory, it'll generally recover gracefully and the clients will stop locking and go about their day.

If it lasts longer than 30-90 seconds, some clients will abort with a generic 'disk IO error, please reattach disk and/or go gently caress yourself'.

Somewhat related but this was a fun thing back in my college days. The machines we used ran Windows 98 but we were using harddisk caddies where every student had their own 3.5" HDD(This was back in 2003). There was also a switch on the front of the drive in the machine itself which you could use to turn off the HDD, with the strong recommendation to always turn off the machine before removing the disk, and never touching the switch.

Windows 98 chugged along nicely until it tried to access the disk, at which point it just froze until you switched the HDD back on. Nothing quite like switching off someone else's disk and seeing how long it took for them to figure this out.

Also fun: Popping out the HDD and booting it in another machine, then returning it to the original machine. It usually kept on trucking.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Ugh, its one of the most bizarre IBM decisions. At least with Windows you still have Windows then a suffix of 3.1, NT, 95, 89, etc
It's funny, the OS on the 400 went from OS/400 to i5/OS to just IBMi. It's fun when someone mentions "iOS" and you have to listen for context to know whether they're talking about their phone or their server.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Here's a good rundown. The left is hardware and the right software we could even throw in a little System 32/36 if you really wanted.

AS/400 - OS/400
iSeries or eServer iSeries
System i - i5/OS
Power Systems - IBM i
All bout that OS/400 Advanced 36.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

From a few pages back:

Holy poo poo is SCE going to be hosed. Infosys is the shittiest place to work and the poo poo they deliver is sub par at best. I worked there for a year as a principal consultant and it was the most horrible experience of my IT career. Not only that, but morale is in the shitter because people know Infosys is poo poo. Twenty eight thousand people left the company in three months. Like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

I cannot heap enough filth upon Infosys. gently caress them forever.

On my first week of work there on site as a principal consultant, the lead Pcon (who only outranks me due to his ownership of the customer relationship, but were both equivalent job levels) tells me to go get him a cup of coffee. As he was standing idly talking with a subordinate. I told him in no uncertain terms that after 17 years in IT, performing increasingly complicated tasks in roles of increasing responsibility, I don't get coffee.

Sorry if the thread has moved on, but I thought working visas were only something that could be obtained if you've tried and failed to fill vacancies with US staff, which obviously isn't the case if you currently have US workers training up cheaper replacements? Or am I just being massively naive?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

Sorry if the thread has moved on, but I thought working visas were only something that could be obtained if you've tried and failed to fill vacancies with US staff, which obviously isn't the case if you currently have US workers training up cheaper replacements? Or am I just being massively naive?

Massively naive. That's technically correct but if you "can't fill the vacancies!" because you're asking for practically indentured servitude wages, well, you can't fill them so gimme those H1-Bs. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh lol so nobody checks that you aren't paying literally half the market rate before clearing you to hire from abroad?

And people wonder why very few staff give a gently caress about their employers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Xerox ahahahahaha ever just wish you were dead?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sometimes I think mainframes might be interesting to work with, but then I try to read about them and it's all three-letter abbreviations. "To create a DCD set up a new KLS and import the CDB from the SMC...". And trying to figure out what any of that means is like gazing into mirrors reflecting in mirrors, not helped by the fact that mainframe architectures are weird as hell and completely alien to someone who grew up with normal computers - even the idea of a "file" doesn't exist on many mainframes.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

That's true- And probably also why IBM themselves have been pushing just running Linux or AIX on the same Power midrange hardware. I don't really mind the i5/OS though personally. It's pretty damned easy to pick up so long as you aren't terrified of command lines or something. Even if you are (you bad) there's the GUI based iseries access stuff as well, even though it's not super great. And it has plenty of sysadmin/usability/automation tools built in. I'm a pretty big fan of the ability to trivially dump the output of all sorts of commands right to database tables, it makes some stuff that takes more effort on a windows environment much less hassle.

AIX and IBM i are both legacy but IBM says it isn't because linux and windows are old too :rolleyes:.

IBM is pushing Linux On Power and Power KVM excruciatingly hard. For those that still have a Midrange environment but also want to use Linux that's where things like Power VM comes into play and involves the whole plethora of PowerHA, PowerVP, Power<$thing>.

I've managed to teach myself a lot with just Knowledge Center but it's still exceedingly difficult compared to every other technical product.

Aunt Beth posted:

It's funny, the OS on the 400 went from OS/400 to i5/OS to just IBMi. It's fun when someone mentions "iOS" and you have to listen for context to know whether they're talking about their phone or their server.

It's annoying as all hell and makes googling problems even more difficult.

EDIT: Depending on your definition, IBMi may or may not be legacy.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aunt Beth posted:

Don't forget routers and switches too!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A calendar invite came in: INTEGRATION DISCUSSION with *IT Director from Company that is apparently buying us*.

:shepicide:

Did I mention no one (officially) knows about this. Sweet. I'm stoked to have a interview this week so I can hopefully avoid this mess.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smoke posted:

Somewhat related but this was a fun thing back in my college days. The machines we used ran Windows 98 but we were using harddisk caddies where every student had their own 3.5" HDD(This was back in 2003). There was also a switch on the front of the drive in the machine itself which you could use to turn off the HDD, with the strong recommendation to always turn off the machine before removing the disk, and never touching the switch.

Windows 98 chugged along nicely until it tried to access the disk, at which point it just froze until you switched the HDD back on. Nothing quite like switching off someone else's disk and seeing how long it took for them to figure this out.

Also fun: Popping out the HDD and booting it in another machine, then returning it to the original machine. It usually kept on trucking.

This used to happen with CDs too

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

the spyder posted:

A calendar invite came in: INTEGRATION DISCUSSION with *IT Director from Company that is apparently buying us*.

:shepicide:

Did I mention no one (officially) knows about this. Sweet. I'm stoked to have a interview this week so I can hopefully avoid this mess.

"I'd love to help with the cutover and migration, but I just got this new job, so if you need me, it'll be nights and weekends at $200/hour. 4 hour minimum per day."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$200 sounds pretty cheap.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kyrosiris posted:

Massively naive. That's technically correct but if you "can't fill the vacancies!" because you're asking for practically indentured servitude wages, well, you can't fill them so gimme those H1-Bs. :v:

Not to say that they're only for that purpose. Sometimes, the job is genuinely hard to fill with someone at that requisite skill level. There are plenty of H1B folks who are good enough to work anywhere, but choose to work in Freedomia.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

Not to say that they're only for that purpose. Sometimes, the job is genuinely hard to fill with someone at that requisite skill level. There are plenty of H1B folks who are good enough to work anywhere, but choose to work in Freedomia.

They aren't for that purpose at all, I'm sure, but the system is set up in such a way that it can be conveniently abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
This is going to be totally nonsensical because I'm too mad to actually form sentences properly. Just need to vent. Move along. {

Common sense would lead one to believe that if a newsletter was reliant on several blog posts to be done, it would be best to do the blog posts first, rather than have me start the campaign, link the blogs that don't exist, get the copy for the blogs and told to make the blog posts, make them, link them, and then be told the copy revisions (revisions to her own copy) that need to go down, while I'm still working on the newsletter. and then asked on what my progress on a completely different project is. Man. I know this post is rambling and mostly nonsensical but I'm just so god damned angry. I asked her if she could just make her own revisions to the blog, since it's her wordpress account in the first place, but no I have to do it for her. She asks for a call so she can tell me all this (I don't like calls, not because I don't like people but because getting things in WRITING is the best way for me to cover my rear end when they change their mind after 20 minutes) but no, she want's to talk because "it's more visual" What? loving talking is more visual that writing? gently caress. I would have been done last night and it would have been just as good as any other newsletter if I was left to my own devices. Plus she keeps pulling one of our designers off of work that actually makes money to make design changes that mailchimp can't even handle in an email campaign. Kill. Me.

}