Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.

Well I expect Henry raised him in a jewish neighborhood/attended jewish religious ceremonies/whatever out of respect for the circumstances of his adoption or Abe himself started looking into that when he grew up and found out where he was from.

No idea about the tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tiggum posted:

I'm confused by Abraham. Henry found him when he was a baby, right? So how does he have a concentration camp tattoo? If he even had one at that age, wouldn't it be faded and stretched to illegibility? And how did Henry know his name was Abraham but not what his surname was? And why does he talk like a New York Jew and use words like "mensch"? His backstory just doesn't seem to match his character to me.
Sure, it probably would stretch almost away, but it's done more as a visual cue from the pilot where they hold the baby and you see that tattoo, then it cuts to present-day Abraham's forearm tattoo. Presumably they could've just gave him a name on the spot as well, but I liked what they did. Fiction, how does it work?

And obviously he was raised in New York, and he would've had questions really early when he realized no one else probably had numbers tattooed on their forearm, so someone if not his adoptive parents, would've told him about all of it, and he decided to make it part of his identity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiggum posted:

I know. That doesn't explain anything.

Yeah, the Nazis would have just killed the baby/forcibly aborted it. Never would have gotten a tattoo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This last episode was really good. Not sure how I feel about them walking Adam's motives back, though the way they did it was still pretty powerful.

I wish the 'mythology' stuff was a little more relevant to the modern-day stuff (honestly the flashbacks are reminding me of Highlander) but this is still an entertaining show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like other than a few average episodes early on, especially the last few and this week's (blame Canada :canada:) are very strong, and the writers have really found their step. I hope they can keep it up, I really do.

I know a lot of people poo-poo on the show not reaching harder into Adam and the bigger IMMORTALITY mythology of the show (I do sometimes wish they used the immortal aspect more often but I feel like the show is mostly about Henry coming back out of his shell and seeing the world differently than he has in previous decades of life.) but I do like that a lot of the cases tie back into Henry somehow, if not directly, then at least it seems to tie in very well to each episode's theme/message, and I feel as it's gotten better at it, especially with incorporating Henry's flashbacks into it. I know for some it might be a little too on the nose, but I certainly find it much more entertaining than most other cop procedurals where they don't do it or do it particularly as well as Forever is doing, especially considering on top of that most of their cases have been pretty entertaining on their own. Granted those other shows generally still have banter to fall back on (and I'll admit banter is hard to do sometimes), but I can definitely see how much more care they put into writing this show.

I do hope that case a while back where Henry got shot in the arm comes back to bite him. Cause in the few weeks since then he actually had Adam kill him, so the bullet wound is gone. Wonder if that's what gets Jo on the trail, honestly. Cause she's seen it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tiggum posted:

I know. That doesn't explain anything.

Right? The tattoo's the least of it.

Haven't we seen where Henry raised Abe? Various fairly nice areas in Manhattan, it looked like.

Which makes sense. He's a German-born Jew who was adopted during infancy by a wealthy English couple. At no point in his life would it make sense to live in Jewish Brooklyn because he has no family there; if anything, he'd sound affectedly English, or just like a generic NE upper class white person.

I call bullshit, Forever. I call bullshit.

Edit: In defense of his name, though, what I understood from the last episode was that all he figured out was his parent's names. They didn't name him Abraham...they perhaps didn't name him at all, or that name wasn't on record. He just appended their surname to his given name, Abraham. I guess he figured it out because they were the only ones to have a baby at that particular camp, so it must have been him?

Xealot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 10, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

surc fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 10, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Man, this last episode had gotta be my favorite, in spite of the fact that the wife would have been past saving at that point. Even with the lack of a more steady pace on an overarching plot, I like the characters on this show a lot more than the other procedurals the rest of my family watches. The side characters this episode were even pretty great as well, especially the Embassy Head in the few scenes he was in.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I thought this was a pretty great episode. I really liked the resolution of Abe's family research.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

pentyne posted:

Adam claims to be 2000 years old right? And Henry is the first immortal he's ever met? I'm almost certain that Adam's endgame is to turn Henry to his way of thinking and finally have a friend to chat/hang out/won't die on him.

After the recent hints in that direction, they better not make him Brutus. In fact, it would be completely bad if he turned out to have been any historical figure.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

wayfinder posted:

After the recent hints in that direction, they better not make him Brutus. In fact, it would be completely bad if he turned out to have been any historical figure.

Goddamn. Now I'm concerned this will happen and hate you slightly for suggesting it. That would suck terribly. Like Dracula 2000 all over again.

Adam is interesting, though, because he's basically Hannibal Lecter crossed with the Highlander. He's mostly a sociopath, but not all the time because certain human dilemmas affect him (such as Abe's search for his family.) I'm guessing he has some bizarre honor code behind his actions, and is used more as an anti-hero at some point.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

wayfinder posted:

Depends if they want to do that, I mean you can compare the actual bust of him. I mean, it might not be a completely terrible idea if they can pull it off. Colour me excited for bringing him out on rare occasion though, I mean, they don't have to spell it out but I didn't realize that's what they're probably going for until you pointed it out.

I'm guessing there's a wealth of "historical figure immortal and lives into present day" has flopped more than it has done well though. I dunno, we'll see.

Despite the sticky for tonight I don't believe it's actually airing an episode tonight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xealot posted:

Goddamn. Now I'm concerned this will happen and hate you slightly for suggesting it. That would suck terribly. Like Dracula 2000 all over again.

Adam is interesting, though, because he's basically Hannibal Lecter crossed with the Highlander. He's mostly a sociopath, but not all the time because certain human dilemmas affect him (such as Abe's search for his family.) I'm guessing he has some bizarre honor code behind his actions, and is used more as an anti-hero at some point.

Or he has a perfectly normal morality for someone who was born and raised, and probably spent multiple lifetimes in the era he was. Morality has changed dramatically over the past two millenia, and older people generally don't radically change their belief systems.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Was that a recon in the last episode or did I mis-remember? I thought his wife left him when she was younger because she couldn't bear the thought of being with him as an older women. Then they show her older in 1982.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

No, I don't think so. I believe she did run off but around '91 or so was what I think I heard, but they don't know what happened to her as far as I remember.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm not sure they've ever really said what happened to her.

I've begun to legitimately like this show, especially how Henry is a believably broken man while still being incredibly charming.

I really hope it doesn't get canceled.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

*car out of nowhere*

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Fateo McMurray posted:

*car out of nowhere*

I feel like someone in the production found a way to do that effect cheaply.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The final one just made me laugh

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Another break? Haven't we had at least two of these so far this season?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

Another break? Haven't we had at least two of these so far this season?

Welcome to sweeps.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just a reminder, Show is back this week.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

It already aired in Canada :dance:

Kinda glad they're just gonna go for broke with the cases being tied to Henry lately. I might be wrong but I feel like most of them have been, or they've gotten good at tying them back. Show's on the bubble though, I think, even with a full season order.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can genuinely say that this is one of those shows I eagerly look forward to each week. I'll be sad if it doesn't get another season. I think it's better than Gotham, and certainly much better than Madam Secretary, and both of those shows have been renewed. I'd even say if I had to pick one show to get a second season, I'd pick this over constantine.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
So mad right now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugio | According to the Latin dictionaries, such as Lewis & Short, the term first appears in the late republican author, Marcus Tullius Cicero, with reference to the dagger used by Marcus Brutus to stab Julius Caesar.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Something I like about this show is that Henry's past has had several pretty good mysteries for the show to dig around in, which meant that no single one has had to carry more weight than it could support. It looks like Abigail's fate is going to be the next lingering question to get resolved and I think the show has done a good job of leading up to it. Her presence in his life and eventual disappearance has been kept relevant through the whole season without becoming overbearing or played out, and I'm really interested to see how they unravel it.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
Did anyone else catch that 'young Abe' was played by the guy who played that actor's son in Numb3rs? I checked IMDB and it's him, though the makeup job was really good.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bunnita posted:

Did anyone else catch that 'young Abe' was played by the guy who played that actor's son in Numb3rs? I checked IMDB and it's him, though the makeup job was really good.

I didn't recognize him at first. But when it clicked I had a laugh at it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, that was a great bit of casting, a really clever nod to Numb3rs.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Everything Burrito posted:

It looks like Abigail's fate is going to be the next lingering question to get resolved and I think the show has done a good job of leading up to it. Her presence in his life and eventual disappearance has been kept relevant through the whole season without becoming overbearing or played out, and I'm really interested to see how they unravel it.

loving hell, the ending to this week's episode. :stare: I honestly didn't see it coming until the Sheriff's story.

The season finale, after another week break :argh:, also seems like it might be a good one from the preview.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Have we heard anything about a second season? Because I really like this (and as someone said at the beginning of the thread, it has replaced Castle as my weekly procedural), and I'm gonna be really pissed if it gets cancelled. :(

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Edmond Dantes posted:

Have we heard anything about a second season? Because I really like this (and as someone said at the beginning of the thread, it has replaced Castle as my weekly procedural), and I'm gonna be really pissed if it gets cancelled. :(

It looks really unlikely that we'll get a second season but I expect the writers know this and will finish in a somewhat closed way. Which I agree is a real shame because this is a really neat procedural.

And this latest episode was fantastic, didn't see the ending coming at all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, not sure Forever's ratings would get it renewed on the CW, much less ABC, but hope springs eternal

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Wasn't the first season of Castles rating abysmal but they gave it a little time. I hope the do the same for this show because that last episode was excellent.

Also does it feel like his partner is starting to put it together?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I'm behind, I just watched the 70s roleplaying episode.

This show is really charming. I hope it's renewed. :ohdear:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

frgildan posted:

Wasn't the first season of Castles rating abysmal but they gave it a little time. I hope the do the same for this show because that last episode was excellent.

Also does it feel like his partner is starting to put it together?

I dunno about starting to put it together because I don't see any way where she could conceivably consider that he's immortal. But she totally knows somethings up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The only real way to even get a glimpse of Jo knowing Henry is immortal (or something is up) is if she sees him shirtless. Because the bullet wound he took earlier in the season is straight up gone after Adam had to kill him. And even then, he could just explain it away.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Sober posted:

The only real way to even get a glimpse of Jo knowing Henry is immortal (or something is up) is if she sees him shirtless. Because the bullet wound he took earlier in the season is straight up gone after Adam had to kill him. And even then, he could just explain it away.

I'm 99% sure the way Jo will find out is that some confluence of events will see Henry in the line of fire to protect her, and he'll get shot or stabbed again.

They'll have a tearful final conversation before he dies, but then his body disappears and she finds him back at Abe's place intact.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Xealot posted:

I'm 99% sure the way Jo will find out is that some confluence of events will see Henry in the line of fire to protect her, and he'll get shot or stabbed again.

They'll have a tearful final conversation before he dies, but then his body disappears and she finds him back at Abe's place intact.

If you watch Arrow then you already know how shes going to find out.

Manu Bennet in an eye patch is gonna show up, tell her Henrys immortal and then just bounce out of the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

If you watch Arrow then you already know how shes going to find out.

Manu Bennet in an eye patch is gonna show up, tell her Henrys immortal and then just bounce out of the scene

From the promo it looks like it will be more sleepy hollow style scenery chewing, given the impending presence of John Noble

• Locked thread