Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think "glass him" means to buy him another beer.

I've heard people say this before, is this a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I thought it was another expression for raising your glass in acknowledgement or something. I didn't expect it to mean starting bar fight with the guy

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Slashrat posted:

I thought it was another expression for raising your glass in acknowledgement or something. I didn't expect it to mean starting bar fight with the guy

Yes, to glass someone is to hit them with a glass. I thought that was a common phrase?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think "glass him" means to buy him another beer.

I was wrong.
That's amazing.

Yeah I'd never heard "glass" used as a verb in that way until playing Wolf Among Us, either.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Yes, to glass someone is to hit them with a glass. I thought that was a common phrase?

It is. We're surrounded by weirdos.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's amazing.

Yeah I'd never heard "glass" used as a verb in that way until playing Wolf Among Us, either.

It's a pretty common expression in Britain, also bottling, the same thing but with a bottle.

I remember the old joke "The English are the only people to use glass as a verb".

Also beware if you see an option to give someone a Glasgow kiss.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
That means giving someone a big grin, right? :ohdear:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Baron von der Loon posted:

That means giving someone a big grin, right? :ohdear:

Nah, that's something different, the Glasgow Kiss is a euphemism for a headbutt or nutting.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

Nah, that's something different, the Glasgow Kiss is a euphemism for a headbutt or nutting.

Yeah this is gonna confuse some people more.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

To glass someone = To smash someone with a glass
To give someone a Glasgow Kiss = to headbutt them
To give someone a Glasgow Smile = to do whatever it was that happened to the Joker in The Dark Knight
To give someone a Burnley Wallet = you don't want to know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ThomasPaine posted:

Probably only for people who are British or who watch a lot of British media. I've never heard it in America or in an American piece of media.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Baka-nin posted:

It's a pretty common expression in Britain, also bottling, the same thing but with a bottle.

I remember the old joke "The English are the only people to use glass as a verb".

Also beware if you see an option to give someone a Glasgow kiss.

Nope, 'bottling' is basically losing one's nerve and chickening out of something.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Nope, 'bottling' is basically losing one's nerve and chickening out of something.

I believe that's "bottled it."

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

You can bottle out of bottling a oval office. And by oval office I mean person, who may be your best friend or worst enemy, partly depending on how far north you are.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Howdy, bought this game for my boo over Christmas as her first video game experience and she loved it! Sadly, the next episode isn't due out till late March I guess? What other games would y'all recommend down the same vein? I imagine the walking dead game is an easy suggestion, but she's not much for horror or zombies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

You can bottle out of bottling a oval office. And by oval office I mean person, who may be your best friend or worst enemy, partly depending on how far north you are.

I want to frame this post. In a good way

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

Texibus posted:

Howdy, bought this game for my boo over Christmas as her first video game experience and she loved it! Sadly, the next episode isn't due out till late March I guess? What other games would y'all recommend down the same vein? I imagine the walking dead game is an easy suggestion, but she's not much for horror or zombies.

Wolf Among Us is great.

Stay away from the Telltale Jurassic Park game. I wish it were a good game, but it just isn't.

Other than that, the old Lucasarts Monkey Island and Indiana Jones adventure games are where this game got its roots and you should play them if you haven't.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tales from the borderlands might be an option and you can always do the back to the future or home star runner series too.

Just be warned that back to the future and homestar runner are more puzzle like (she'll have to wander around and find items on her own but it'd be a little easier than monkey Island.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate Borderlands but Tales From the Borderlands is really really good. It has more of an illusion of interactivity and exploration than their other recent games.

But holy poo poo they are really loving up the release schedule when we've had two GoT games but the second TFtB hasn't dropped yet. :psyduck:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks guys, she's dipped her toe in the terrible water of video games and I think this will get her a little deeper in to the pool.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Texibus posted:

You probably already knew this, but just in case you didn't: there are 2 episodes out right now.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I did! I bought her the season pass I think because she had both and burned two them in two days. I know this because I got a call starting with," I'M PISSED!" I was like ooooh poo poo what did I do.."That game you got me is to be continued and the next episode isn't out yet!"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yoshimo posted:

I believe that's "bottled it."

That's correct.

precision posted:

I hate Borderlands but Tales From the Borderlands is really really good. It has more of an illusion of interactivity and exploration than their other recent games.

But holy poo poo they are really loving up the release schedule when we've had two GoT games but the second TFtB hasn't dropped yet. :psyduck:

I agree, didn't like Borderlands 1 but got Tales due to the recommendations on this thread, and it almost made regret selling my copy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Texibus posted:

Even so, I think the Walking Dead would be a good one to check out anyway. It's a really good story and easy to get someone into gaming, and like with pretty much all zombie bullshit, the zombies are a backdrop who just pop in now and then for tension. It gets a little gruesome, but I don't really think of it as a horror game. And there are two full seasons to blow through.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Texibus posted:

I thought Life is Strange was pretty good, but that only has 1 episode out of 5 so far

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Red Red Blue posted:

I thought Life is Strange was pretty good, but that only has 1 episode out of 5 so far
Oh, seconding that! The first episode is off to a great start. Plus the game is heavier on the exploration and interactions, which I love. It's kinda like Gone Home (which you also might want to check out) + Telltale's Walking Dead/Game of Thrones + Dreamfall: Chapters, with some high school angst thrown in. Don't know if that last part will be a positive or negative for you though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh, seconding that! The first episode is off to a great start. Plus the game is heavier on the exploration and interactions, which I love. It's kinda like Gone Home (which you also might want to check out) + Telltale's Walking Dead/Game of Thrones + Dreamfall: Chapters, with some high school angst thrown in. Don't know if that last part will be a positive or negative for you though.

it will also punish you with a hipster soundtrack

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I've been holding off on playing episode 2 for a while, I started yesterday and I really want to like this game but whenever there's a Mira sequence I feel immediate boredom and just want to ALT+F4 out of the game asap. Mira is just super boring to me, it felt like everything she did in episode 1 was completely meaningless and the 'court intrigue' feels fake given that we know none of it is gonna play out in any significance manner as far as any of the characters she interacts with other than the coal boy and the other handmaiden are concerned. Asher was cool, Rodrick was pretty cool as well, Mira really breaks the flow of the game for me.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
You... gently caress potatoes?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
They must be trying to get the next episode out in time for the next season of Game of Thrones. Looks like episode 3 is already wrapping up and going through the rating systems.

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...J4B1Q%253d%253d

And I guess Asher and friends are going to run into Khaleesi?

https://twitter.com/lauraperusco/status/575333861204303872

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Episode Three Launch Trailer

:siren:Coming Out:siren:

March 24th, 2015
PC/Mac, PlayStation 4 & 3 (US/SCEA)

March 25th, 2015
Xbox One & 360 (Worldwide), PlayStation 4 & 3 (EU/SCEE)

March 26th 2015
iOS & Android-based devices

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Wait holy poo poo tomorrow? Don't we usually get more forewarning?

That's a decent turrnaround time though, or maybe I'm just feeling whiplash from the 4-month wait for Borderlands episode 2.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

korrandark posted:

Episode Three Launch Trailer

:siren:Coming Out:siren:

March 24th, 2015
PC/Mac, PlayStation 4 & 3 (US/SCEA)

March 25th, 2015
Xbox One & 360 (Worldwide), PlayStation 4 & 3 (EU/SCEE)

March 26th 2015
iOS & Android-based devices

wait, can you download this game for your mobile? Why didn't I know this before? :negative:

Is it the same game?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Dolash posted:

Wait holy poo poo tomorrow? Don't we usually get more forewarning?

That's a decent turrnaround time though, or maybe I'm just feeling whiplash from the 4-month wait for Borderlands episode 2.

We usually get about a week, but I'm not complaining. :woop:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo new GoT, tales from the borderlands and life is strange within a week of each other? This has been a good few days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, that was quick.

Although I must say, I'm enjoying the Borderlands game much more for some reason, most likely the humor. I find Mira's scenes to be boring as hell. Hopefully with Asher coming back, it'll pick up a bit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mira just feels so ineffectual. Which dealing with so many powerful people in King's Landing as a handmaiden to the future... consort to the king? Queen? I guess is about right.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I dunno. She does stab the poo poo out of a dude near the end of episode 2. That has got to count for something.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Dogen posted:

Mira just feels so ineffectual. Which dealing with so many powerful people in King's Landing as a handmaiden to the future... consort to the king? Queen? I guess is about right.

Honestly, I get the opposite impression. She's wheeling and dealing with the people that control the whole country, just by association - making deals with Tyrion matters so much more than any action you take at Ironrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is a crazy week between this, pillars of eternity and the
dragon age dlc

• Locked thread