Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I made a chili. I used something relatively akin to mindphlux's recipe and it turned out quite well.

4 lbs brisket
2 each Ancho, California, Guajillo, and Pasillo peppers toasted and ground into powder
4 chipotles in adobo, deseeded and chopped
2 yellow onions
5 cloves garlic
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 qts beef broth
1 can Red Hare Watership Down Brown Ale
Splash of whiskey

I chopped up the brisket into 1/2 cubes or so, browned them off in an enameled dutch oven. Once that was all done, I threw in the diced onions and let those caramelize a ton. I added the garlic and then the chili powder and let that get fragrant. After that I added in the tomato paste and chipotles and cooked that down for a bit. Added the meat back to the pot, poured in the beer and a quart of stock and let it simmer away. I added the other quart of stock gradually throughout the rest of the cooking process as the chili reduced. Towards the end I added some extra adobo sauce, a splash of rye whiskey, and salt.

I ended up taking the chili off the simmer around 8 hours or so, as I had hungry people waiting for some. I would have let it go longer, preferably, as the texture wasn't exactly where I wanted it.

Next time I'll change up the chilies that I used, as I think the Ancho/Guajillo/Pasilla combo was a bit too similar to one another. Might swap one of those out for an Arbol, or something else. I'll probably also add a second can of beer, the whole (small) tin of tomato paste, and more garlic next time (whole head), and just add all of the liquid from the get go (as long as it fits).

This was my first time making chili, and my guests were happy, so overall I was pleased. It wasn't 100% what I wanted myself, but people enjoyed it so I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sounds awesome. Did you add any cumin? That's a huge part of chili.

Here are a few things you might want to consider. These aren't criticisms, just things I've found that work for me or have been meaning to talk about:

1. Try bone-in short rib. I love the way it turns out. Just take the giant chunks, brown each side, and then let the whole thing simmer until the meat falls apart. The bones add a lot of meaty flavor.

2. Use the beer to deglaze the bottom of the oven after you're down browning the beef, onions, and garlic.

3. I've had a lot of success using a blender to combine the dry ingredients. It also saves a lot on time. I like to deseed the dried peppers, toast them along with cumin seeds, and then toss the whole thing into a blender. Once they're nicely powdered I add the tomato paste, onions, garlic, chipotles in adobo (I just use the whole can), and use enough beef broth to get everything incorporated.

4. A lot of people (myself included) like to add sausage in with the mix. Like a pound of chorizo to go with the 4 pounds of beef. I'm still debating this myself (I worry I'm adding too much fat) but it's fun to try.

5. One thing I read that was really interesting was from Alton Brown's meat sauce recipe. He uses an ounce of finely chopped dried porcini mushrooms, saying it really contributes to the meaty flavor. I've been meaning to try this myself and see the end result.

6. Other fun flavor additives include dark chocolate (couple of squares), molasses, or cinnamon. Not enough to overwhelm the flavor, but add some complementary spice.

Kudos on your chili!

Saint Melmoth
May 1, 2007
If they are our brothers, why can't we eat them?--12 Famous Buddha Minds School
I recently changed my chili recipe up after about 10 years of making it the same way as ever and have been very happy with the results:

Ingredients
1 lb. ground turkey (or, you know, whatever)
1 lg onion, diced small
3-4 cloves garlic, folded, spindled, and mutilated
2 ancho chiles, seeds and stem removed, torn to smallish bits
1-2 chipotle chiles and 2 tsp of the adobo they're packed in
2 Tbs. ground cumin
1 Tbs smoked paprika
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 can lovely American or Mexican lager (I used Bud Lite)
1 Tbs. molasses (I like the less sweet, more funky, "robust" kind for this)
1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
2 14.5 oz cans pinto beans, drained (or kidneys or, you know, whatever)
3 small corn tortillas, torn into hunks or a good double handful of tortilla chips, crushed
salt
pepper

Preparation
Pour 3/4 c. of boiling water over the ancho pieces, cover with plastic wrap and let steep for at least 5 minutes (I did this in a pyrex measuring cup which makes it easy, but TMTOWTDI, I'm sure) Put the tortillas, tomatoes, chipotles, adobo, and the anchos and their steeping water in a blender and process on puree for 30-60s until very smooth. Put aside.

Brown your ground meat in your chili vessel of choice over high heat. Remove the meat from the pot and drain if needed (one more reason I like turkey). Cook the onion and garlic in the pot with a little oil and a dash of salt until the onion is thoroughly softened. Add the oregano, paprika and cumin, and mix in thoroughly. Cook for a minute to bloom the spices, then pour in the beer. Boil off the alcohol and scrape up the fond from the pot. Add the mixture from the blender and add the meat back to the pot. Stir everything together and taste it. You may want to use less than a tablespoon, but now is the time to add the molasses. Then taste again and add some salt--about half as much as you think it needs. Bring the mixture to a strong simmer, turn the heat to med. low and simmer for about 40 min.

Add the beans, stir them in and cook for 15-20 min (depending on the beans in question--some benefit from more, most don't). Taste it again, and add salt, pepper, etc. to taste. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream (or greek yogurt), and cold beer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used a sirloin awhile back because they were on sale cheap and didn't really like the texture. Anyone one used sirloin?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

wormil posted:

I used a sirloin awhile back because they were on sale cheap and didn't really like the texture. Anyone one used sirloin?

Haven;t tried sirloin, but i can definitely recommend cross cut beef shanks! I liked the texture better than my previous batch because the meat fibers were a bit shorter than the batch i did with Short Ribs and was therefore easier to eat.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
These last four pages makes me want to get back into the chili game.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Around here, a supermarket considers itself well-stocked if it has both types of fresh chili (red and green), so it's pretty much impossible for me to get all these fancy varieties of chili you guys are talking about. I've ordered some dried chilies though (Cascabel, Chipotle, Arbol, Ancho Grande, Serrano) to make chili powder (for the first time, planning on using that Alton Brown recipe). Would I be better off only using powder or should I throw some mystery chilies in the pot as well? Can dried chilies be used whole instead or are they only for making powder?

The fresh chilies they sell around here don't have much flavour, and the amount of burn varies quite a bit. For some absurd reason they usually have a nice chart on the packages listing various types of chili according to burn, which tells me absolutely nothing since they refuse to say what's in the package (unless I'm an idiot and "red chili" is actually a specific variety of chili). Here's a picture, if anyone cares to guess at a name:

The package says they were produced in Spain, packaged in the Netherlands and sold in Norway, so they've traveled quite a bit.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Apoffys posted:

Around here, a supermarket considers itself well-stocked if it has both types of fresh chili (red and green), so it's pretty much impossible for me to get all these fancy varieties of chili you guys are talking about. I've ordered some dried chilies though (Cascabel, Chipotle, Arbol, Ancho Grande, Serrano) to make chili powder (for the first time, planning on using that Alton Brown recipe). Would I be better off only using powder or should I throw some mystery chilies in the pot as well? Can dried chilies be used whole instead or are they only for making powder?

Not sure about using them whole, but I typically remove the seed/stems, pan toast, rehydrate in hot water and then toss in the blender (with enough of the water from hydrating to get the consistency I want in the sauce). Works like a champ for any chili needs. Now if I want to add fresh peppers, that's a whole other animal, but typically in that case I'm using Jalapenos, pablanos and such rather than anything too off the wall.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Made Iron Leg's chilli, except replaced the ground with 1/4lb chopped bacon, and the bulk of the meat is chuck and beef heart. Beer was a New Belgium Portage Porter. No beans. Tasted it after the cooking stage, it is fantastic. The bacon is like butter, the chuck falls apart, and the beef heart is hearty and toothsome without being chewy or too fibrous. However, the whole thing is in the 'refrigerator' stage of cooking now, which from my research, is just as important. I hope the flavor soaks into the meat a bit more. The spiciness is moderate, very warm, not sharp at all. I love it.

To be served tomorrow with skillet cornbread and a side of black beans if anyone so wishes. For a little chilli cookoff the Red Cross is holding.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zaepho posted:

Not sure about using them whole, but I typically remove the seed/stems, pan toast, rehydrate in hot water and then toss in the blender (with enough of the water from hydrating to get the consistency I want in the sauce). Works like a champ for any chili needs. Now if I want to add fresh peppers, that's a whole other animal, but typically in that case I'm using Jalapenos, pablanos and such rather than anything too off the wall.

I do this method as well, I like it even better than chili powder since it's not gritty at all in the finished dish. (although usually I use chicken stock instead of water). It's a good place to incorporate some spices and other ingredients that are good blended as well (Tomatos or tomato paste if using, etc)

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Just made this:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html

And I have to say, just increase the amount of pork by 1.5x and this is a pretty loving awesome chili. If you make it as written it's spicy bordering on very spicy. I added a couple more chipotles and I top each bowl with a helping of El Yucateco Kutbil-ik because I like it tongue-numbingly spicy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I've never done but am intrigued by the idea of using a spice paste target than just ground powders. How does it differ and how long does it last? How should it be stored? Does freezing affect the flavor or can/should it be canned to preserve? I am starting to grow my own peppers and would like a method of preserving them for quick deployment into a chili at any time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How many chiles do you guys use in a 5 pound batch? I have a bag of ancho mulato, pasilla negro, and chile de arbol and I'm wondering how much to add from each (along with how much cumin seed). Normally I make chile powder and save the excess but I want to try doing a paste this time with just enough chiles and cumin to make the recipe.

Going to try a really bone-heavy recipe this time. 4 pounds of bone-in shirt ribs and a pound of neck bones. Tentative plan is to brown the poo poo out of everything, let it stew in the dutch oven for 3 hours, and then pull out the bones. I'm also going to try the powdered porcini mushroom idea from Alton Brown, adding an ounce to the recipe. MAXIMUM MEAT FLAVOR.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2015

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

If you mean 5 pounds of meat, I usually end up with between 0.5 and 1 cup of deseeded, torn up dried chilies that I rehydrate and blend with ~1 T toasted cumin seeds and 8 cloves of garlic for that amount of protein, plus several cups of chopped fresh chilies of different kinds that I add separately.

Two weekends ago I chilied and holy poo poo porters are awesome in chili. Before I always used a stout or a brown lager, but my eyes have been opened.

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 17, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, sometimes I forget just how deep and wide the SA forums are.

Right, so, I've been using a spice mix that I adapted off of the Carroll Shelby stuff (read: shamelessly thieved) for years, and want to kick it up a notch.

What levels of "doing it the right way" am I looking at, here? Whole spices, roasted and fresh-ground into masala every time, or are we cool with ground cumin and garlic powder?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Whatever works for you is what works best. Seriously. Personally I find toasting whole cumin seeds and then blending them works really well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Not familiar with that spice mix, but I find if I am going to be toasting some dried peppers to make a spice mix from then I might as well toast my cumin seeds too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Throw a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips into a chili near the end of the cook. Trust me, it is awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or a square or 2 of unsweetened baking chocolate.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

confirmed. is good. I've done it with cocoa powder, too.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Saint Melmoth posted:

I recently changed my chili recipe up after about 10 years of making it the same way as ever and have been very happy with the results:

Just wanted to say I tried this recipe, with the turkey and without the beans (also with regular paprika since I didn't want to buy smoked just for this) and it turned out pretty nice using a slow cooker. I need to fiddle with it a bit(probably more salt, I'm very bad about getting correct amounts of salt into things), but overall I'm quite pleased. Thanks for the recipe. :v:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

Where do you live that you can get them that cheap? I have a hard time finding them for two bucks as it is.

atlanta.

no idea why they'd be any cheaper or more expensive than anywhere else, other than I live in a major city.

I habitually buy chipoltes in adobo almost every month because I'm like 'poo poo am I out of chipoltes? well, who cares - might as well, they're 69 cents!'

that said, I do chop them up and freeze in a ziplock too, because I rarely would ever use an entire can. also because apparently I'm thrifty enough to care about 34.5 cents worth of food.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

mindphlux posted:

atlanta.

no idea why they'd be any cheaper or more expensive than anywhere else, other than I live in a major city.

I habitually buy chipoltes in adobo almost every month because I'm like 'poo poo am I out of chipoltes? well, who cares - might as well, they're 69 cents!'

that said, I do chop them up and freeze in a ziplock too, because I rarely would ever use an entire can. also because apparently I'm thrifty enough to care about 34.5 cents worth of food.

I bought 7 cans online for 22 euro's (25 US dollars)...apparently the shops in my country don't think we need chipotles in adobo

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mindphlux posted:

atlanta.

They're like a dollar in Oregon. I see them for $0.79 and $0.69 most places.

I made my own once. It was a huge waste of effort - the canned ones were way better.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Does anyone else like the Chipotle in Adobo salsa they have? It's basically chipotles in adobo but puréed and deseeded, comes in the same size can. It's slightly less spicy but mad convenient.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

4. A lot of people (myself included) like to add sausage in with the mix. Like a pound of chorizo to go with the 4 pounds of beef. I'm still debating this myself (I worry I'm adding too much fat) but it's fun to try.

Are you talking the raw mexican style chorizo or the cured spanish style?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bob Morales posted:

Are you talking the raw mexican style chorizo or the cured spanish style?

Raw.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you do anything with the grease? I've wanted to try it for a while.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bob Morales posted:

Brown your beef with it

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Morales posted:

Strain and save it in the fridge like bacon grease or lamb drippings. I use it for frying or scrambling eggs, making a hash, and so on.

It doesn't stay good for long, so use it quickly.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

paraquat posted:

I bought 7 cans online for 22 euro's (25 US dollars)...apparently the shops in my country don't think we need chipotles in adobo

I've found them in one store locally for 5.99 a can.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There's this place called Texas Chili Parlor in Austin that makes some of the best loving chili I've ever eaten and I really REALLY want their chili recipe so I can play around with it and maybe make a version with beans in it or something.

Has anybody else eaten at this place? Can I get that recipe or a drat similar one? I've been itchin' to make me some chili for a long rear end time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

There's this place called Texas Chili Parlor in Austin that makes some of the best loving chili I've ever eaten and I really REALLY want their chili recipe so I can play around with it and maybe make a version with beans in it or something.

Has anybody else eaten at this place? Can I get that recipe or a drat similar one? I've been itchin' to make me some chili for a long rear end time.

I have eaten there, and this seems pretty right.

http://www.recipething.com/recipes/show/5857-texas-chili-parlor-one-x-chili

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh my god you are awesome. Gonna try that poo poo THIS WEEK.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
2 full cups of masa...? Even with that much meat, that's gonna be some seriously thick, corny chili.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Echeveria posted:

I've found them in one store locally for 5.99 a can.

You win

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

2 full cups of masa...? Even with that much meat, that's gonna be some seriously thick, corny chili.

Yeah I'm a little unclear as to why it calls for 10 pounds of meat, too. For six people.

EDIT: Hmm... is there something I can use in place of some/all of the masa harina?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 19, 2015

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah I'm a little unclear as to why it calls for 10 pounds of meat, too. For six people.

I like a nice strong chili, but a full pound of powder seems a bit much... I think that entire recipe is a little suspect...

EDIT: Hmm... is there something I can use in place of some/all of the masa harina?

Finely ground corn chips. Food processor if you can. You'll need to dial down your normally added salt accordingly.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
yeah I don't think chuck cubes are gonna break down all that well in just two hours. Unless it's a chili where the cubes are more like beef strew than chili consistency, but it doesn't look that way from photos.

but yeah that recipe seems a little whack. Why on earth would you go with water and just a half can of beer for that much meat?? Everything else seems off too. teaspoons of oregano and dried cilantro are going to be undetectable with 10lbs of meat. That's also a fuckload of worchester and masa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah I don't think chuck cubes are gonna break down all that well in just two hours. Unless it's a chili where the cubes are more like beef strew than chili consistency, but it doesn't look that way from photos.

but yeah that recipe seems a little whack. Why on earth would you go with water and just a half can of beer for that much meat?? Everything else seems off too. teaspoons of oregano and dried cilantro are going to be undetectable with 10lbs of meat. That's also a fuckload of worchester and masa

Which is a shame, because I just finished buying most of the ingredients earlier today. :(

Thankfully, I only got about 4 pounds of the meat, since that was all the grocery store had in stock, but it really bums me out that this likely isn't the recipe I was looking for now. Although I suppose a place called the Texas CHILI Parlor wouldn't voluntarily let a recipe like that out so easily.

Still really wanna make that fuckin chili, though.