Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i literally cant understand how juicy j is so loving awesome

Magic.

thathonkey posted:

Big Sean has actually been making good music lately. Probably the biggest surprise of the year.

I, for one, never lost faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antequek
May 30, 2014
Does anyone know any good Hip-hop podcasts other than Microphone check?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Why is everyone acting so chill about one of the greatest mixtapes ever having a sequel :o

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Harley C posted:

Why is everyone acting so chill about one of the greatest mixtapes ever having a sequel :o

Yeah I've been listening to it. Juicy J just owns so much.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Here are the snippets for Dark Sky Paradise

http://thestashed.com/2015/02/16/preview-big-seans-dark-sky-paradise-album-stream/

All Your Fault (the third track) :stare:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Hey anyone here have suggestions for dj smokey or tommy kruise like artists? I know the obvious historical stuff like 36 mafia, but I'm looking for modern dudes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IOwX9Whrsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6hkr3jp8M

I want to download a whole bunch of stuff like this, possibly to use in mixes. This yung dripp mix has inspired me, the poo poo is amazing even if some of the mixes are a bit weak.

https://soundcloud.com/yungdripp/underwater-bando-mix

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It must be the end times if Big Sean is actually making an album people care about

(fwiw it's sounding good to me)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

thathonkey posted:

Yeah I've been listening to it. Juicy J just owns so much.

YEah this, don't skip it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

It must be the end times if Big Sean is actually making an album people care about

(fwiw it's sounding good to me)

2015 might finally be the year where all the artists I like put out their flagship piece of work. (All Your Fault and Blessings are going to get a loving retarded amount of spins on the radio and in my car)

Favorite....year....ever

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
It's funny considering every year sucks according to some posters

New Juicy J owns, and is a fun listen. Can it be summer already so I can blast this outside

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't think people complained about 2013 fwiw. But yeah in general every year is the worst/no music coming out/whatever, since people seem to forget anything that wasn't released 5 minutes ago.

I mean weren't some people complaining how this was a slow year, when it's not even the end of February?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
New Cyhi

http://rapradar.com/2015/02/13/new-mixtape-cyhi-the-prynce-bhp-2-n-a-a-c-p/

Flames....

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
2013 was a good music year, 2014 was just ok :shrug: this year seems promising but we wont know until fall

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Don't sleep. Joey FATTS ' Ill Street Blues

ps :siren: Fash and Exile :worship:

pps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKsR6yRmhdo

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

That Fashawn track is a loving problem holy christ :stare:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What the hell. Fashawn and Alchemist released an EP together in December? Is it good? Is the production more classic, Mobb Deep Alchemist or is it like new age Action Bronson Rare Chandeliers Alchemist?

I guess Fashawn's sophomore album is coming out next week. Boy Meets World was good but fans of that whole west coast clique of artists may overrate BMW more than anything else has ever been rated. Champagne and Styrofoam Cups was okay but the album art was way better than anything on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank you Juicy J for BD&L2

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

2013 was a good music year, 2014 was just ok :shrug: this year seems promising but we wont know until fall

I feel bad for you if last year was "just ok"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

I feel bad for you if last year was "just ok"

care to clarify?

also:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thank you Juicy J for BD&L2

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

care to clarify?

also:

All I'm saying is I guess if I can throw together a top 10 tapes/albums on any given year, that's way better than "just ok". Different tastes play into it obviously, so ymmv. There was a wealth of good poo poo posted around the time we were posting our faves for the year

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What the hell. Fashawn and Alchemist released an EP together in December? Is it good? Is the production more classic, Mobb Deep Alchemist or is it like new age Action Bronson Rare Chandeliers Alchemist?

It's good, give it a listen.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

All I'm saying is I guess if I can throw together a top 10 tapes/albums on any given year, that's way better than "just ok". Different tastes play into it obviously, so ymmv. There was a wealth of good poo poo posted around the time we were posting our faves for the year

Yeah i guess i should've said 2014 was fine but 2013 was better, talking about all genres not just rap here

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

Anybody can do that but that doesn't make the year good. Like if that rich gang tape was perceived as a top tier tape of last year that's pretty bad.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ahem, "that rich gang tape" was a top tier tape last year and every year. But yeah last year was pretty meh, the year before was good and I think people acknowledged that at the end of the year

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah 2014 was pretty poo poo. Yeah, there were definitely some standout projects but a lot of the more anticipated releases didn't really deliver and there weren't a ton of premiere mixtapes either. 2015 on the other hand has been pretty good so far and we're less than 50 days in.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

RBX posted:

Anybody can do that but that doesn't make the year good. Like if that rich gang tape was perceived as a top tier tape of last year that's pretty bad.

Maybe I'm just easy to please v:shobon:v

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The only reason for 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJwKKKd2ZYE

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfIdtm-OC8

greatest Thug stuff ever was 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

What are peoples' thoughts on Your Old Droog? I thought his self titled album was one of the best things to come out in 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

It was really funny watching Nas stans (not on here) hail his early music as Nas continuing to be the greatest ever, swearing up and down it was him, and then backpedaling once it came out who he was. That was cool.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit

quote:

The Facts:
  • November, 1998: Lil Wayne signs to Cash Money.
  • February, 2003: Young Money is officially launched. Lil Wayne owns 49% of Young Money, Birdman and Cash Money own the other 51%. All copyrights, fees, profits, etc. will be similarly split between them. Lil Wayne is not able to sign artists to Young Money without Cash Money's approval.
  • January, 2005: Disputes lead to contract re-negotiations. Under the new version of the deal (a.k.a. the "Settlement"), Wayne is obligated to produce additional albums and in exchange gets a higher royalty rate. This means that the rift between Wayne and Cash Money is nothing new. In fact, it's been going strong for nearly a decade now.
  • July, 2006: Yet another re-negotiation raises Wayne's advances and obligates him to do two Cash Money "duet albums." And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Like Father, Like Son exists.
  • June, 2008: Wayne and Cash Money agree that the release of Carter III fulfills the obligations of his original 1998 deal. After the re-negotiations to that original deal, he now owes four solo albums and one duet album.
  • 2008: Wayne and Cash Money agree to extend their Young Money joint venture an additional five years. As part of that agreement, Cash Money agrees to keep $1 million in an account at all times to pay Young Money recording expenses and overhead, and agrees to pay Wayne his 49% share of the Young Money profits monthly.
  • June, 2009: Drake signs to Young Money/Cash Money. Under the terms of the deal, Wayne would get one-third of the net profits generated by Drake. This means Drake officially signed to YMCMB a few months after So Far Gone dropped, although he was certainly in talks with them well before. [Side note: Aspire Records, a label started by Wayne and Drake's manager Cortez Bryant, is also listed as Drake's label.]
  • April, 2009: Yet another re-negotiation. Cash Money agrees to pay Wayne a $10 million advance for each solo album: $8 million at the start of recording, $2 million at completion. Also, they agree to extend the Young Money/Cash Money joint venture until June of 2015. Cash Money agrees to pay $200K a quarter for Young Money "overhead" expenses.

The Allegations:
  • Cash Money has not paid the $200K quarterly or kept the $1 million expense account agreed to in the 2008 and April, 2009 agreements.
  • Cash Money has NEVER provided Young Money with accounting of how much money Drake has made (and therefore the amount Wayne is owed under his 49% share). And yes, according the lawsuit, that's never, as in never ever, as in "has failed to provide a single accounting in respect to the exploitation of Drake's recordings." That's crazy talk.
  • Under the terms of the 2003 Young Money/Cash Money joint venture, Cash Money was required to get approval from Young Money for any marketing expenses over 300K. They routinely failed to get that approval, spending millions in marketing expenses. Simply put, Cash Money allegedly spent millions marketing Young Money artists and projects without Young Money's approval, even though Young Money would owe 49% of those expenses under the terms of the 2003 deal.
  • Cash Money has allegedly registered the copyright for Young Money music solely under the Cash Money name, instead of splitting the copyright between Young Money and Cash Money.
  • Cash Money has allegedly routinely refused to sign artists Lil Wayne wanted to sign.
  • Cash Money has allegedly failed to pay those involved in making Young Money albums, opening up Young Money to numerous lawsuits. No poo poo.
  • In terms of Wayne's solo deal with Cash Money (so not Young Money), Cash Money allegedly refuses to show him accounting statements regarding money he's potentially owed.
  • December, 2014: Lil Wayne turned in a completed version of Carter V. Cash Money allegedly refused to pay him the $2 million album completion advance, and had only so far paid him $2 million of the $8 million recording advance owed to Wayne under the terms of the 2009 agreement.

What Lil Wayne Is Asking For:
  • A total of $51 million. That $51 million is the sum total of several parts: advances owed, money owed Wayne for his solo music, money owed Wayne for Young Money music, etc.
  • Because Cash Money has so thoroughly failed to follow the terms of the original 1998 deal, Wayne's solo deal with Cash Money should be considered finished moving forward.
  • Because Cash Money has so thoroughly failed to follow the terms of the 2003 joint venture deal, Young Money's relationship to Cash Money should be finished moving forward.
  • Lil Wayne should have all proper copyrights restored to himself and Young Money, and should be paid adequately moving forward for music recorded under the original deals.
Cliff-notes:
Wayne re-negotiated his contract with Cash Money several times. They had beef behind the scenes.
CM never produced accounting of what Wayne owes or is owed, including his artists like Drake.
Wayne is suing for money and to get out of his contract with CM.

I really want CM to go down for all the dirt they have done. Not cause I'm a hater but because they made money their bragging point and they don't share it. After how they did Juve and Mannie Fresh, I don't have any love for them.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Y'all think Theophilus London worth going see thursday for 30$?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:agreed: can we get more shmoney dance gifs itt please?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is too good. I wanna see how birdman tried to weasel his way out of it and crashes and burns.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Baby is a pederast. I hope Young Thug is staying safe given Birdman's affinity to twink opiate addicts.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah thanks for posting that rundown temple good stuff. gently caress birdman

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Y'all think Theophilus London worth going see thursday for 30$?

you live in montreal? use your money wisely at chez paree instead

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

A $10m advance :drat: that will never not be crazy to me

Robert Analog posted:

Baby is a pederast. I hope Young Thug is staying safe given Birdman's affinity to twink opiate addicts.

He's hosed (prob literally) but isn't he signed to 1017 and some other label? Like hasn't he just been signing contracts to multiple labels? I need someone to do a loving dissertation to understand his contract situation.

I thought his affiliation with cash money was signing them as his manager, which would let him release rich gang as free music and then birdman could eat off money he makes touring because he won't be legally allowed to release an album under the label. Anyone know?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Robert Analog posted:

Did Young Thug even escape his contract with 1017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

He's hosed (prob literally) but isn't he signed to 1017 and some other label? Like hasn't he just been signing contracts to multiple labels? I need someone to do a loving dissertation to understand his contract situation.

I thought his affiliation with cash money was signing them as his manager, which would let him release rich gang as free music and then birdman could eat off money he makes touring because he won't be legally allowed to release an album under the label. Anyone know?

That's my understanding of the situation but I'm not 100% sure either.