Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeah! European Union!!!!(?)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Look at those cables.

How do you even live with yourself, you filthy animal?

.random
May 7, 2007

Is that... Is that a shower curtain on the right?

Is your computer desk in the bathroom? It is, isn't it? Don't you dare lie to me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I was trying to figure out how to manage my bundles of cables under my desk and behind my TV, and I was tired of dumb expensive options.

I found these on Amazon pretty cheap and I think they'll be a better looking cable management solution than my bike hooks modification to my desk.

I'll post pics when it arrives and I install it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

There are lots of cable trays for the same price if your goal is to attach something to the desk and put cables in/on it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

stuxracer posted:

There are lots of cable trays for the same price if your goal is to attach something to the desk and put cables in/on it.

Not quite. I also wanted something that could hold a power strip under my desk, and a laptop behind my TV.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Not quite. I also wanted something that could hold a power strip under my desk, and a laptop behind my TV.

So you're screwing it to the VESA mounting points?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wasabi the J posted:

So buy that metal tray and use this to secure it:
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Brand-Industrial-Strength-Pkg-Black/dp/B003CEXPSA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424137619&sr=8-2

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So you're screwing it to the VESA mounting points?

Yeah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cool. I wasn't sure based on the diagram.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah! European Union!!!!(?)

I am an EU federalist, nationalist, and patriot

evobatman posted:

Look at those cables.

How do you even live with yourself, you filthy animal?

When I sit at my desk I can't see them, therefore they do not exist.

.random posted:

Is that... Is that a shower curtain on the right?

Is your computer desk in the bathroom? It is, isn't it? Don't you dare lie to me.

Those are traditional eastern european curtains, do not make fun of my heritage please.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got my dad to build me this desk, made it out of an old palate (cept for the 4x4 legs). Seeing what some of you guys have I'm wishing I had it made longer, although in my old apartment this was about as much room as I could allot for it. I'm waiting now for him to build the hutch, but I think what is going to happen sooner is an in-desk mount for the PC itself. I'm thinking a box mounted under the desk to the right of where the monitor is, a hole cut with a plexiglass door inserted on the surface of the desk. That's why the door is hanging off now, trying to size up how big I want it to be. Really this shouldn't be all that technically difficult should it?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

codo27 posted:

I got my dad to build me this desk, made it out of an old palate (cept for the 4x4 legs). Seeing what some of you guys have I'm wishing I had it made longer, although in my old apartment this was about as much room as I could allot for it. I'm waiting now for him to build the hutch, but I think what is going to happen sooner is an in-desk mount for the PC itself. I'm thinking a box mounted under the desk to the right of where the monitor is, a hole cut with a plexiglass door inserted on the surface of the desk. That's why the door is hanging off now, trying to size up how big I want it to be. Really this shouldn't be all that technically difficult should it?

Honestly I'd think about moving your components to a smaller form factor case.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly I'd think about moving your components to a smaller form factor case.

Leaving aside the cost/benefit ratio of SLI for the moment, I think he would require too much internal volume to go any smaller.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Finally, read through the whole thread. Time to contribute.

Seen from the left.

Seen from the right.

It is what it is, part of IKEA's JOURNALIST from back in 2005 or so. Shelves everywhere around me, but since 9/10 people that come in here think my shelves (and the rest of the room) are messy, I'm not giving you pictures of that. Too many neat freaks and minimalists in here anyway. Wouldn't want to give you heart attacks or something. Quite happy with it, except the right monitor, which is aprox. 15 years this Winter. I'm still considering getting one that matches the Samsung to the left. Shouldn't be too expencive, even though I live in Norway (and everything here is pricey, especially for people without a steady and / or medium income).

Also, not too much cable flutter anymore (I may have posted here back in 2009), and what's there, is mostly in the darker areas in the back, which I never see anyway, because why should I take my eyes away from the screen?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Datasmurf posted:

Finally, read through the whole thread. Time to contribute.

Seen from the left.

Seen from the right.

Does the raised wooden platform that your monitors sit on force you to sit at an angle at the desk or is it intentionally turned that way? Seems awkward to have part of the keyboard hanging off the desk.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sup work bench buddy. Looks good.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

dema posted:

Sup.

Post your (actual) desktops: Convincing people to buy Gladiator workbenches as computer desks since 2008.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

$500 :aaa:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-72-in-W-x-25-in-D-Maple-Top-Adjustable-Height-Workbench-GAWB06MTZG/204246902

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

RhoA posted:

Does the raised wooden platform that your monitors sit on force you to sit at an angle at the desk or is it intentionally turned that way? Seems awkward to have part of the keyboard hanging off the desk.

Nah, no angle. Keyboard is just hanging off the desk in that picture. Usually I have the desk sticking more out from under the main desk / raised wooden platform / what have you (I see the white desk more as a giant keyboard tray than a desk, really), and if I fold down the "feet" on the keyboard, it fits snuggly under there, but that never happen, unless I need some extra centimeters of space for whatever reason. Though, I seldom sit straight, I'm usually in a reclined position with my feet on a stool under the desk, since that - for some reason - feels better on my back and neck than sitting in an upright position for hours upon hours.

Also, I have to say, that my desk seldom is so clean. It's usually flooded with bills to pay, tools, vaping devices, empty bottles and what have you, but I decided to do some cleaning before taking the picture, and also because I was looking for a tiny post it with an IP for a Minecraft server.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Everything I was looking at that was adjustable height is like a $200 premium on normal.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here ya go: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Fold-Out-Wood-Workbench-Common-72-in-Actual-20-0-in-x-72-0-in-WKBNCH72X22/203083493?N=5yc1vZc2g3

I kid of course. The only way I'd even think of getting a $500 desk is if this $200 Ikea Jerker jerked its last jerk, I was in an economic situation agreeable to the acquisition of "nice things" and even then, I'd probably make myself wait a year. But it'd probably be worth it, it looks like a really solid piece of furniture, and almost as deep as this thing. Budget desks are shallow, apologetic things these days.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 20, 2015

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Here ya go: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Fold-Out-Wood-Workbench-Common-72-in-Actual-20-0-in-x-72-0-in-WKBNCH72X22/203083493?N=5yc1vZc2g3

I kid of course. The only way I'd even think of getting a $500 desk is if this $200 Ikea Jerker jerked its last jerk, I was in an economic situation agreeable to the acquisition of "nice things" and even then, I'd probably make myself wait a year. But it'd probably be worth it, it looks like a really solid piece of furniture, and almost as deep as this thing. Budget desks are shallow, apologetic things these days.

This is in a new office bookmark folder for like a year now, when I move next year it will be mine... Think about how much time you spend at your desk, it is a pretty solid place to spend.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I think I paid $400. I'd only recommend it if you live downtown in a major city and don't have the resources to make your own (which you could do for $50-$200 depending on who you know). It is nice having a giant deck that holds more than a ton and will never break or need to be replaced.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah they go on sale like appliances do. Sears has them for 350 right now. The legs are really heavy duty., but you can buy close for a little cheaper ~$250
http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/work-benches/open-leg/adjustable-height/workbenches-adjustable-height

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Have sinced changed the wallpapers (did it for a razer competition a while back)

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

dema posted:

Thanks!

Chakron posted:

Post your (actual) desktops: Convincing people to buy Gladiator workbenches as computer desks since 2008.

I wouldn't have known about them without this thread.

Got mine on sale just as I moved into a new place just as my old desk was partially destroyed in the move. A perfect storm of greatness! Last desk I'll ever need.

I even built the walls to accommodate it's 96 inch width.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Have sinced changed the wallpapers (did it for a razer competition a while back)

What do think about 3 monitors? Would you do it again? What are you using for a video card?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Safetyland posted:

What do think about 3 monitors? Would you do it again? What are you using for a video card?

That's my current set up. I really like a 3 monitor setup, but utilising really just depends on what I'm doing. For gaming ill have middle monitor for games, right one for streaming software/general poo poo, then on the left will have whatever I'm watching.

Currently using an inno 3D gtx970 all monitors hooked up to that

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think he should get three matching monitors?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Moey posted:

I think he should get three matching monitors?

Yeah it irks me a bit too, however the outside 2 were bought together and i cant find them anymore, looks like they dont make them

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah it irks me a bit too, however the outside 2 were bought together and i cant find them anymore, looks like they dont make them

I'm in the same boat. I have a differing middle monitor. I could replace it, but the outside two in my setup are decent Dell IPS Panels I got for a stupid deal, and I don't want to replace my still-good-Asus in the middle. If I get a good price on another Dell...likely will at that point.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

stuxracer posted:

Yeah they go on sale like appliances do. Sears has them for 350 right now. The legs are really heavy duty., but you can buy close for a little cheaper ~$250
http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/work-benches/open-leg/adjustable-height/workbenches-adjustable-height

The list price may be lower, but it's $150 in shipping alone. :negative:

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Since you don't game across all three monitors, is having the same model for all three that necessary? I use two different monitors and haven't really noticed it being that much of a problem. Sure there are differences in image quality and color between the two, but since I don't tend to do many things across both monitors at the same time, I don't really notice it that much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

RhoA posted:

Since you don't game across all three monitors, is having the same model for all three that necessary? I use two different monitors and haven't really noticed it being that much of a problem. Sure there are differences in image quality and color between the two, but since I don't tend to do many things across both monitors at the same time, I don't really notice it that much.

It doesn't bother me too much, its more just the top of them don't line up, the middle one is slightly higher up, they are all the same brand so I guess that's something.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For you guys with dual monitors... the biggest annoyance about them for me is that I can no longer just vaguely and broadly whip my mouse pointer up to the upper right corner of the main screen to close programs like I used to because if I do, the cursor just flies over to the right-most screen.

Are there any programs that sort of let you add an artificial mouse pointer stopper to the upper right edge of the main screen so I can keep absentmindedly flipping the cursor up and over to click and close programs?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Alt-f4

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

have whatever window you want to close on the right screen..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GreatGreen posted:

For you guys with dual monitors... the biggest annoyance about them for me is that I can no longer just vaguely and broadly whip my mouse pointer up to the upper right corner of the main screen to close programs like I used to because if I do, the cursor just flies over to the right-most screen.

Are there any programs that sort of let you add an artificial mouse pointer stopper to the upper right edge of the main screen so I can keep absentmindedly flipping the cursor up and over to click and close programs?

You could always move the right hand monitor down by a tiny amount in the monitor layout dialogue (screen resolution in Windows 7). Click on the right hand monitor and press the down arrow key once, then OK out of it.

For what it's worth I have had 7 Taskbar Tweaker installed for ages, and I set it so I can middle click programmes on the taskbar to close them, like you would with a tab in a browser.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 21, 2015