Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Furism posted:

Fair enough, but I reckon that if you only check the class, attributes or talent pages I don't think it should spoil anything. You'd think people would put big "SPOILERS HERE" notices on the spoilery pages though :(

I wouldn't bother with the wiki because no one updates it after each new build and the info on there is usually weeks or months out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Litany Unheard posted:

I wouldn't bother with the wiki because no one updates it after each new build and the info on there is usually weeks or months out of date.

Still, he could get a feel for the role of each class etc. I don't think he wanted theorycrafting diffs from different builds etc. But I take your point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Still, he could get a feel for the role of each class etc. I don't think he wanted theorycrafting diffs from different builds etc. But I take your point.

Yeah at this point all I have is a vague impression that there are classes, at least some of which can use guns. From what reading I have done it seems like even the basic game mechanics have been subject to a LOT of revision during the development process, so I'm not sure where to go for a sense of what actual gameplay is like in the current beta or will be like on release.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah at this point all I have is a vague impression that there are classes, at least some of which can use guns. From what reading I have done it seems like even the basic game mechanics have been subject to a LOT of revision during the development process, so I'm not sure where to go for a sense of what actual gameplay is like in the current beta or will be like on release.

What you need to know is that each build is valid - you can play a Dumb Wizard with lots of Strength and that wouldn't be a gimp build. So stick to what class appeals to you, do your best when you create your character, and you'll be fine. You cannot gently caress yourself at character creation in this game (unlike in, say, Neverwinter).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Furism posted:

What you need to know is that each build is valid - you can play a Dumb Wizard with lots of Strength and that wouldn't be a gimp build. So stick to what class appeals to you, do your best when you create your character, and you'll be fine. You cannot gently caress yourself at character creation in this game (unlike in, say, Neverwinter).

Unless, right now, if you play as a ranger apparently.

But to be honest, right now I'm playing a build that seemed like a fun idea and I am making it work for me. I may not be the highest damage dealer but I am having fun either way.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've done it. Playing a gun cipher is a feast or famine sort of thing - since focus is tied to damage, you get it in great big infrequent chunks. So you either get a shot or two off at the beginning of combat and then unload with all sorts of mind powers, or you lead with mind powers and then wait patiently to reload your gun and fire it before you can use more. Talents that maximize your focus pool work well with that build, since they give you a bigger gas tank to fill and deplete. But getting caught flat-footed and being forced to start off with a spell can make you a bit less effective.

Oddly enough after skimming the wiki this idea seems more appealing than most! So few games have blunderbusses and psychics that a build combining the two would at least be fresh!

I take it you'd want the Greater Focus talent? Operate as a sort of medium range support & crowd control character?

The stats are sortof hard to figure out. Do you still get a Might bonus even to things like crossbows and guns?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The stats are sortof hard to figure out. Do you still get a Might bonus even to things like crossbows and guns?
Yes.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Might applies to all damage and healing that you do, including ranged weapons, wands, fireballs, and weapon swings.

I don't know if it affects magnitude of buffs like the paladin's burning weapon aura, or the damage that your summons do like the chanter's skeleton summon invocation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, sorry to keep asking basic questions, but the wiki is suprisingly unclear on some things.

I take it dual weilding and "weapon sets" are a thing? So, for example, I could do a Cipher with Sabre and Stiletto as one weapon set, and Pistol as the other? Would high Intellect increase the duration of the Sabre's bleed? And presumably of the Cipher's CC? And then if I took "weapon set: Ruffian" I'd get accuracy benefits with the Sabre, Stiletto, and Pistol? Would that be a decent, workable build then? Blast once with the Pistol and then charge into melee?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Hopefully all the basic stuff will be in a manual as usual, I seriously don't want to read any wiki before I even get to play the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Ok, sorry to keep asking basic questions, but the wiki is suprisingly unclear on some things.

I take it dual weilding and "weapon sets" are a thing? So, for example, I could do a Cipher with Sabre and Stiletto as one weapon set, and Pistol as the other? Would high Intellect increase the duration of the Sabre's bleed? And presumably of the Cipher's CC? And then if I took "weapon set: Ruffian" I'd get accuracy benefits with the Sabre, Stiletto, and Pistol? Would that be a decent, workable build then? Blast once with the Pistol and then charge into melee?
Dual wielding and weapon sets (full left/right weapon sets like IWD2's, not just right-hand slots as in BG) are a thing, though like in most games you can't wield a pistol and a melee weapon (though pistol/shield is workable). I don't know if intellect affects duration effects native to weapons but it does affect character abilities and spells. Actually at this point it's a bit unclear what the stat effects are going to be, they've been tinkered with significantly (which I'm fine with, ultimately - try and make a hard-set collection of unbalanced stats work and you get Wasteland 2's character system), but high-duration builds are ideal for crowd control or DoT-focused characters.

Dual / pistol cipher is a decent build, but depending on stat spread and equipment choices, you'd probably be pretty squishy in melee. Using heavier armor to make melee more amenable will slow down your pistol reload times pretty drastically but if you're using fire-and-forget tactics, it can probably work.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 18, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lordfrikk posted:

Hopefully all the basic stuff will be in a manual as usual, I seriously don't want to read any wiki before I even get to play the game.

The game has tooltips on everything and an in-game encyclopedia that explains all of the stats and terminology. So most people should be fine to dive in and learn as they go.

And as far as viable builds, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're playing on at least Hard difficulty. On Easy and Normal I'm sure any build, however sub-optimal, should be good to go, especially if you have a full party backing your main up. Just do what seems fun to play.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Oddly enough after skimming the wiki this idea seems more appealing than most! So few games have blunderbusses and psychics that a build combining the two would at least be fresh!

I take it you'd want the Greater Focus talent? Operate as a sort of medium range support & crowd control character?

So your'd probably want:

Soul Whip + 20% damage
Greater focus (probably)
Gunner (faster reload speed for the gun)
Weapon Focus Rogue (+5 ACC for Stiletto, Blunderbuss & Pistol)
Dual Weapons if you want to switch to that at some point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hahaha, and I can buy into the backer beta? Well, that was $25 I probably should've just waited and not spent. Onwards to [whateverthisfantasyplanetiscalled]!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really want that hero edition. Is this game on sale with a coupon on gmg or something like that?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It seems sort of weird that if I have my 2 camping supplies and I find another in a dungeon I can't pick it up. Or I can, but it instantly vanishes. Which means I'm sort of compelled to not pick it up, and then run half way back across the dungeon to refill once I use one of the two I'm carrying. Wouldn't it be simpler just to let us have it and go to 3 as a bonus?

EDIT: Also, tiny bug, if you have a purchase queued up and then go to sleep at the inn the "YOU HAVE A PURCHASE QUEUED UP!!!!" warning dialogue appears as floating text with no wooden background over the bedroom/fireplace screen.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 18, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fintilgin posted:

It seems sort of weird that if I have my 2 camping supplies and I find another in a dungeon I can't pick it up. Or I can, but it instantly vanishes. Which means I'm sort of compelled to not pick it up, and then run half way back across the dungeon to refill once I use one of the two I'm carrying. Wouldn't it be simpler just to let us have it and go to 3 as a bonus?

EDIT: Also, tiny bug, if you have a purchase queued up and then go to sleep at the inn the "YOU HAVE A PURCHASE QUEUED UP!!!!" warning dialogue appears as floating text with no wooden background over the bedroom/fireplace screen.

That's actually a feature representing your character's subconscious desire for that item but their hidden fears about their money situation.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That's actually a feature representing your character's subconscious desire for that item but their hidden fears about their money situation.
The realism ... it is horrifying!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah that doesn't sound right. The behavior for that probably needs another look.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 18, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Any general tips for starting fresh in the backer beta?

What's my quickest route to getting a gun for my Cipher? Would like to find a Saber also.

The build I seem to be leaning towards is 18 dex/18int, Old Vailian background for mail armor, stiletto, rapier, stuns and charms for the Cipher abilities, Draining Whip, Weapon Focus: Ruffian.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

What's my quickest route to getting a gun for my Cipher? Would like to find a Saber also.

The build I seem to be leaning towards is 18 dex/18int, Old Vailian background for mail armor, stiletto, rapier, stuns and charms for the Cipher abilities, Draining Whip, Weapon Focus: Ruffian.

Dex is currently busted and slows your attack speed instead of speeding it up, so leave it at 10.

Edit: And if you're having trouble with any of the fights, remember that you can create a sixth party member by using the Adventurer's Hall at the inn. An extra set of hands goes a long way.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 18, 2015

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Go and visit the back room in the Tannery, don't take no for an answer. Then head into the 'basement' and carry on to you meet your first group of human enemies at that point you should have a some of each of the weapons you want.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For a very good gun you should follow the Pig's Vengeance quest to its conclusion.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trying very hard to figure out just what sort of class I'm going to start out with. I know I absolutely want my first character to have a gun of some type eventually, but I also want to run a cypher and the last time I tried that my character didn't do so good.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
That's because you were not spamming Soul Shock ;)

BTW: After you cast an Invocation, does anyone know if there's supposed to be a long delay before the next chant begins? Because after casting an Invocation it takes quite a while to start chanting again.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 18, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sensuki posted:

That's because you were not spamming Soul Shock ;)

I always have all my characters clustered up near the enemy, I don't know how that'd be good.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I always have all my characters clustered up near the enemy, I don't know how that'd be good.

Soul Shock is Foe only AoE.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, unlike mage spells (and some priest spells), cipher AoEs only affect enemies. Ciphers are really beastly.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sensuki posted:

Soul Shock is Foe only AoE.

Can anybody confirm that the only way to know if a spell is foe only is from the description? I'm under the impression that if the description says "enemies" then it's foe only, if it says "targets" then it's everyone?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

You can tell in the game as well, because when you target the AoE, the selection circles of the units it's going to hit will change to a targeting reticle. There may be some inconsistencies in the spell descriptions but "Foe Only AoE" is usually designated in the ability/spell stats up the top when it describes the size of the AoE.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Aeonsim posted:

Go and visit the back room in the Tannery, don't take no for an answer. Then head into the 'basement' and carry on to you meet your first group of human enemies at that point you should have a some of each of the weapons you want.

Ok! edit: Well that seemed rude, but then I guess the guys were bad anyway. Did I skip something important?

Basic Chunnel posted:

For a very good gun you should follow the Pig's Vengeance quest to its conclusion.

That's the one with the Ogre? Edit: which way do I go to start that one? The clues just say "the wilderness" but that doesn't really narrow it down. edit: nevermind, think I figured out where to go.

Litany Unheard posted:

Dex is currently busted and slows your attack speed instead of speeding it up, so leave it at 10.

Edit: And if you're having trouble with any of the fights, remember that you can create a sixth party member by using the Adventurer's Hall at the inn. An extra set of hands goes a long way.

Oho! And I guess with this build I probably want Might anyway, to boost damage, rather than attack speed, since I'm planning on fire and forget with the gun. And as a Human I can go 19 might / 19 Int.

How can I tell what my Cipher's max focus is?

Litany Unheard posted:

Any particular class recommendation? Maybe a backup healer I guess? Health bars seem to go up and down faster than [crude joke]

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 18, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, the Ogre quest nets you a nice blunderbuss.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I wish we could drop the same shield in two different weapon sets - so only the main weapon is swapped.

Has anybody built a Damage Avoidance Rogue? My idea would be to get a Spear + Shield rogue acting as an off-tank. I asked before in the thread but haven't had time since then to try it myself.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

It is my understanding that a few of the Rogue's more defensive abilities are not working correctly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One more question, on skills --

So long as one person in my party has the requisite skill level, I'm good? So for example my guy doesn't really need Mechanics because the BB rogue has it at a pretty decent level already?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not sure if the full game is going to be like that too, but based on the beta:

1) Skills/attributes/traits in dialogue always only check the PC. There might be additional party member checks, but they're separate, additional options.

2) You can select the character for skill/attribute checks in the little text adventure interactions. A recent stream also showed a party-wide check: one of the six part members failed an Athletics check and became fatigued.

3) You don't really benefit by having more than one character have an active usage skill like Mechanics, given only one character will be doing all the unlocking/disarming.

Sorry if it's unclear, I'm a bit sleep deprived.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Ok! edit: Well that seemed rude, but then I guess the guys were bad anyway. Did I skip something important?

That's the one with the Ogre? Edit: which way do I go to start that one? The clues just say "the wilderness" but that doesn't really narrow it down. edit: nevermind, think I figured out where to go.

Any particular class recommendation? Maybe a backup healer I guess? Health bars seem to go up and down faster than [crude joke]

Talk to the Villagers selling stuff and the people in the Inn (Bar keeper and Noble) and it will start to become clear.

Ogre: You get a nice weapon but you've got to fight your way through 40 something enemies to get to it, explore the Crossing.

Druid can be used as a back up healer. Paladins also have 1 or 2 abilities that can do some healing.

One thing you should do is use scouting/stealth a fair bit (have it on all the time out of combat and use the fast game mode to move quickly). There are a fair number of goodies hidden around the maps that you'll only ever find in scouting mode, secondly many of the traps in the game can one shot the weaker characters in your party if you trigger them.

As long as one of your party has enough of a Skill then for things like traps and locks you'll be fine.
Scouting/Stealth and Athletics are the ones where everyone tends to need a bit it if your planning to use it a lot, in the case of athletics it also extends the adventuring day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does the adventuring day / passage of time actually matter in any way or is it pure flavor?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There might be some quest that uses the day/night cycle in the full game, but it's mostly flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Wait, since when can you buy into the beta? Where is this?

• Locked thread