Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah bif that really doesn't make sense at all. It's a huge leap of logic. Why wouldn't scum just let us lynch him today and let them target someone else tonight?!?

Well, yes that is a weak spot. I'm certainly not sure of it, but that's the first thought I had when I had my eyes on FS anyway, and that's what he came up with. And to be fair, no one has bothered casting one vote on Coq yet all day. It's certainly not as sure of a thing as it looked at the very start of the day. The scum might not want to risk their necks trying to get the lynch fully started up again.

Especially after Tirade's post. I thought that post only helped seal the idea that if Coq was really scum, we might not have had such a close call there, almost switching right over from Anidav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

hmm, is Coq getting all buddy-buddy now that I'm wavering and choosing a different target than him, and just boosting up my still pretty half-baked theory? Or is he right to support it, cause I'm actually onto something and FS doesn't like it? I wonder

The former, at a guess.

I reckon he pulled similar yesterday with Tirade, after I had a go at one of Coq's posts and tirade ended up voting me. Coq followed suit.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I can only really articulate right now the people I have good feelings about.

Beet is doing the Lord's work
Milky is probably town, I agree that posting frequency on D1 is a poo poo metric when there's nothing to analyse which is a feeling I tried to express yesterday about how I don't actually know what to do on D1. His freaking the gently caress out over his night action and snap targetting Tirade was weird but I think it came from a legit place.
Tirade tried to put some breaks on the Anidav turbo which makes no sense as a Scum move.

I need to re-read and think again.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Well, yes that is a weak spot. I'm certainly not sure of it, but that's the first thought I had when I had my eyes on FS anyway, and that's what he came up with.

Well to be fair, that sounds more like trying to find evidence to fit your theory than the other way around.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kat Delacour posted:

Tirade tried to put some breaks on the Anidav turbo which makes no sense as a Scum move.

I've done it. It's an easy way to try and get townie points just based on thinking about the pure game mechanics (let's wait and get more info, guys! Cause that's good for the town to not stop discussion!), rather than making any actual opinions on people's cases.

Er, not to throw shade on Tirade cause it is a good townie thing to do as well. And I liked that last post of his. Just saying, if you see that in general, it's not worth thinking it clears somebody. It can make sense as a scum move

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The only problem with measuring posting volume is if you start posting lots you get called out as a white noise poster instead, so you can't win :(

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
Given how incredibly quiet they are and how they're not voting, do we have anything to lose in lynching bbq?

Rightly or wrongly, I'm not suspicious of Bif at all.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Gwynplaine posted:

Given how incredibly quiet they are and how they're not voting, do we have anything to lose in lynching bbq?

Considering the last Auspolformers game that is a very dangerous position. I don't necessarily think Bif is scum either but I'm still suspicious.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Gwynplaine posted:

I'm not sure if mr bbq would even notice if he was lynched

EDIT: Wait, so if I was scum and I said nothing, I could fly under the radar and just knife people willy nilly at night. But to be a townie requires more active participation because many of the roles require you to protect/investigate people which requires engagement in conversation, so to not do so makes you a bad townie. Is this correct?

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 18, 2015

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

hiddenmovement posted:

He would definitely notice.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't think lynching poo poo participants is a good idea if that's the only reason you're lynching them.

But hey since you're obviously reading the thread enough to interject so immediately maybe you should do something.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

hiddenmovement posted:

EDIT: Wait, so if I was scum and I said nothing, I could fly under the radar and just knife people willy nilly at night. But to be a townie requires more active participation because many of the roles require you to protect/investigate people which requires engagement in conversation, so to not do so makes you a bad townie. Is this correct?

Hidden, you're really, really, REALLY not allowed to edit your posts.

You're very new so this is your one warning, but don't do it again.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gwynplaine posted:

NEVER SAY THAT, THAT IS THE MOST SUSS THING EVER!

##vo-

Oh wait, that didn't work out well with newbie Avshalom.

hiddenmovement posted:

Haha, this just might be my favorite argument of the day. But hiddenmovement, make sure you don't ever edit your posts in Mafia.

(It looks like he only edited to add new information at the bottom)

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I saw the original and they definitely only added to it. But yeah, never ever.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
hiddenmovement's posting history:

*oh hey I don't know what's up*

*yeah, lets vote for these (later to be confirmed townies)*

*oh yeah I have this really cool ability but i'm such a noob lol, don't lynch me*

*let's lynch this random guy now"

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kat Delacour posted:

Considering the last Auspolformers game that is a very dangerous position. I don't necessarily think Bif is scum either but I'm still suspicious.

Yeah, it was much easier to get a feel of things when I wasn't caught up in it myself. Once you're actually in the cave, your compass starts spinning, I guess.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The only problem with measuring posting volume is if you start posting lots you get called out as a white noise poster instead, so you can't win :(

No, it's about actively contributing. Just posting to 'check in' is as pointless as not showing at all. Come, post, put forward theory. Pick a target, comb their posts or ask them questions. If things are odd, build a theory around that (not the other way around like I just mentioned to bif).

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Kat Delacour posted:

I don't think lynching poo poo participants is a good idea if that's the only reason you're lynching them.

But hey since you're obviously reading the thread enough to interject so immediately maybe you should do something.

Yeah, IRL problems yesterday :( I'm catching up now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Matthew Beet posted:

The former, at a guess.

I reckon he pulled similar yesterday with Tirade, after I had a go at one of Coq's posts and tirade ended up voting me. Coq followed suit.

Look, I'm fully prepared to accept that my input is worth gently caress all right now, so I'm happy to stay out. I genuinely agreed with Tirade and Bif's arguments, however.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Bifauxnen posted:

Well, yes that is a weak spot. I'm certainly not sure of it, but that's the first thought I had when I had my eyes on FS anyway, and that's what he came up with. And to be fair, no one has bothered casting one vote on Coq yet all day. It's certainly not as sure of a thing as it looked at the very start of the day. The scum might not want to risk their necks trying to get the lynch fully started up again.

Especially after Tirade's post. I thought that post only helped seal the idea that if Coq was really scum, we might not have had such a close call there, almost switching right over from Anidav.

People may not yet be voting for Coq - but he is currently on the top of a lot of people's poo poo list. If Coq is town and I was town I would be wanting to encourage these thoughts - not discourage. Evidence of people stating today that they think Coq is suss

Those On My Left posted:

I think Mills was going pretty hard after Coq.

So we're left with the usual WIFOM scenario. Either Coq is scum and contributed to Mills' death because he didn't want Mills to continue to lead the charge against him, OR ... *sigh* ... that's just what the scum want us to think.

black_tangled posted:

SKY COQ - Definitely sus plays yesterday. Now role claiming saying he gathered information.

Bold ones are best suspects IMO mostly due to not knowing more about them.

Kat Delacour posted:

I agree that Mills was killed because he posted like he was very very certain of coqs scumminess and he was drat pursuasive too. Coq has come in with "I know something you don't know ner ner I've got a secret" as his only defence so far.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Yikes. We're off to a bad start.

I know what it is, I've just never eaten it due to lack of opportunity. And my thoughts on Skycoq remain largely unchanged.

Sky talked up his abilities yesterday, tried to run out the clock on the hammer when it seemed he was in danger, and continually pushed a "You'll be Sorry" defense. All of this smells to me like a rat cornered.

However, when today rolls around:

I don't think that a wise townie would role-call so heavily, without the knowledge that they were safe from the scum.

Call it intuition, but I do not trust Sky Coq.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I agree with this. Coq, if what you were going to say is public knowledge, say it anyway.

My statement should read if I was "scum" I would want to encourage these thoughts.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Freudian Slip posted:

People may not yet be voting for Coq - but he is currently on the top of a lot of people's poo poo list. If Coq is town and I was town I would be wanting to encourage these thoughts - not discourage. Evidence of people stating today that they think Coq is suss

Come to think of it though, since Tirade and Coq were moving together on trying to vote Beet yesterday, that might help explain why Tirade's come in now with this great theory for why Coq is town.

It did sound like it made some sense, though. Let me try and think it through a bit more carefully. Tirade theory is basically: Anidav was already a super easy lynch for the scum.

So if Coq is also town: Scum wouldn't have had to bother trying to rush onto Coq instead. This would imply that much of that fast bandwagon shift was townie-led. Some of the handwringing afterwards could have been scum then, and when things got close at the wire, it wouldn't have really mattered to them who got it. (This is why I was looking at TOML's hammer behavior for a sec, if Anidav and Coq turn out to both be town)

If Coq is scum: Also implies that much of the fast bandwagon shift to Coq was townie-led. There's trying to not move in a bloc, but derailing a good easy lynch to swing things onto your own teammate is a whole nother level. Scum would have been very surprised by the fast move and wondering what to do, trying to hold steady on Anidav without looking too obvious about it.

I'll flesh this out a little more in a sec once I can actually see who fits where.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Edit is not a quote : Is that a modkill Gaspy?

Sorry town

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

FS what did we JUST say about editing posts?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

SKY COQ posted:

Look, I'm fully prepared to accept that my input is worth gently caress all right now, so I'm happy to stay out. I genuinely agreed with Tirade and Bif's arguments, however.

I dunno, man. You could always try throwing us a bone in the form of an effort post, or some genuine analysis starting from first principles, or something, instead of hanging back and being cryptic. As it stands, I'm standing by last night's vote for you and will be repeating that behaviour tonight.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Yeah - reread what I posted and thought I was quoting it.

Too much caffeine - I will take a modkill if deemed neccessary

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Freudian Slip posted:

Edit is not a quote : Is that a modkill Gaspy?

Sorry town

ffs, fs.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Freudian Slip posted:

Yeah - reread what I posted and thought I was quoting it.

Too much caffeine - I will take a modkill if deemed neccessary

You get a warning too because you also didn't add anything but seriously quit it.

George is gettin' frustrated.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asphyxious posted:

George is gettin' frustrated.

Oh yay, you did get my joke about the kung pao chicken! :buddy:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

:golfclap:

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Thanks dude,

I was even going to point out to HiddenMovement that this is why you have to repost poo poo and not just edit your mistakes.

I really thought I was just quoting my previous post and clarifying what I meant at the bottom.

Bif I would like to hear this theory of yours

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh yay, you did get my joke about the kung pao chicken! :buddy:

I have never watched an episode of Seinfeld.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SKY COQ posted:

This seems more like you're pleading the fifth tbh.

If you're town, look who is arguing for your death! There is a good chance they're scum, and if you die we can look at who you butted heads with. If you just shut up and take it it'll be easier for the scum players to just go "aww gee my bad, but all he really did look suss"

dj-bbq posted:

hiddenmovement's posting history:

*oh hey I don't know what's up*

*yeah, lets vote for these (later to be confirmed townies)*

*oh yeah I have this really cool ability but i'm such a noob lol, don't lynch me*

*let's lynch this random guy now"

Going after a very obviously new player making new player mistakes is a safe way of covering your rear end after being called out for being too quiet, dj-bbq

I went through hiddenmovements posts and he just comes across as incredibly new and inexperienced. I doubt it's an act, as he edited his post and that's way too risky a stunt to pull. However, he might still be scum. His actions are justifiable as "no idea what he is doing", but they are on average suspicious too.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Tirade (1): Milky Moor

Not Voting (16): Bifauxnen, black_tangled, dj-bbq, Freudian Slip, Gwynplaine, hiddenmovement, Kat Delacour, Matthew Beet, MysticalMachineGun, Old Dirty Cumburgs, SKY COQ, Small Keating, Splode, Those On My Left, Tirade, whats for dinner

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 18th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 5 hours, 19 minutes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The town has had a bad first day - 3 members killed, including two of the most vocal (Anidav and Mills).

Since absolutely 0 scum were killed yesterday we have 0 confirmed scum - which means any posts by the murdered were purely townie speculation, so we can't get much from them. What we need to look at from yesterday's posting is people's reactions to any accusations made by Anidav, Mills and Mithanderp.

To that end, Mills was posting pretty heavily in favour of voting for Coq. We know Mills was town, so at the very least it wasn't a scum trying to out a townie.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I think that the town tore itself apart and the scum just sat back and watched

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Coq says his information, if revealed will only benefit scum. I realise I am both a new player and not a great thinker but I can't think of what that information could be, nor how much of a difference it could make given that we have no real edge or leads on the scum anyways.

The revealing of information, and how people react to it will move things forward, might even turn something up.

If it might stop him getting lynched, it'd be worth a shot, right?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Wait I'm reading the rules and I don't see how a player is able to reveal information, do they do it upon death or something?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

Wait I'm reading the rules and I don't see how a player is able to reveal information, do they do it upon death or something?

A player "reveals" information when they post something like "I'm a cop, I investigated mills, he was town"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Gwynplaine posted:

Coq says his information, if revealed will only benefit scum. I realise I am both a new player and not a great thinker but I can't think of what that information could be, nor how much of a difference it could make given that we have no real edge or leads on the scum anyways.

The revealing of information, and how people react to it will move things forward, might even turn something up.

If it might stop him getting lynched, it'd be worth a shot, right?

Yeah it's literally some of the same stuff Gaspy posted in his flavour text this morning. Picked too popular target last night, etc etc.

SK - your idea is very good and I am doing that thing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

There are a lot of roles and ones like watcher or cop show *certain* information which is often obscured in some way by other rules. Basically you are often really limited in the kind of info you get when you perform an investigation. For example tracker would watch a player and know if they performed a night action on someone else. But that may or may not form a complete picture, depending on what else happens that night.

If Coq is not scum, then it's valid, and revealing more will just show scum more about his role, so probably not worth doing.

• Locked thread