Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

I'm out for dinner for the next couple hours, getting a vote in now in case I can't later.

I had a read through What's For Dinner and although there is nothing amazing standing out to me, it seems he's our best bet for a lynch today, and I think coq is being genuine about his role.

##vote whats for dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

##vote whats for dinner

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Milky Moor posted:

Tirade was not bused.

I have already said that Tirade was either protected or I was blocked, jailed, whatever.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The bussing idea was just spit balling theories how the information we had could fit together.

I much prefer TOML's theory now of a paranoid gun owner. Is there anything that would disprove that theory?

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."

dj-bbq posted:

I still haven't figured out the :justpost: strategy yet

Every previous game I've played I've been in a faction with a group document to talk in, now I'm all alone

Well, I'm the only person whose vocalised any real suspicion. So it's not like you're going to be lynched. Even with that in mind, if I get nightkilled that will hardly implicate you either as no one would think someone would be foolish enough to nightkill their only detractor.

Which as actually quite comforting, as that puts absolutely no value in me being killed. Between my wild theories and inexperience I'm probably more good to them alive. Honestly, I'm worried for bif and fs.

I hope coq survives another night honestly. See where that goes.

I have a sinking feeling I have out done myself in terms of stupid posts.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

whats for dinner (3): Those On My Left, Splode, black_tangled
SKY COQ (1): Small Keating
Tirade (1): Milky Moor

Not Voting (12): Bifauxnen, dj-bbq, Freudian Slip, Gwynplaine, hiddenmovement, Kat Delacour, Matthew Beet, MysticalMachineGun, Old Dirty Cumburgs, SKY COQ, Tirade, whats for dinner

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 18th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 2 hours, 56 minutes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've got a bit of a bad feeling about this whats for dinner case, (unless he shows up soon to start scumming up the joint in defense), but it might be worth chasing if we got nothing else. If he did flip scum, that'd at least clear that nagging voice out of my head about why TOML and b_t are both sold on it.

But if he flipped town, oh darn! We just didn't know any better ideas! Sorry guys! I'd really like to hear some more ideas on who the other options could be. Get some more people in here scumhunting.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Barbecue's behind it all!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In trying to understand Milky's absolute certainly that it wasn't a misplaced townie action I have probably confused myself, or may just end up confusing the game here. The only possible reason I can come up with for his certainty is that the GM response included both the target name and "action failed" outcome, because if I understand the role correctly being bussed would return an outcome for someone else. That Tirade himself responded to basically say "I get it, don't target me dumbass" either means Milky & Tirade are a team putting on a big show, or Tirade has an innately deflective role. Gaspy being gaspy, my money is on townies and natural deflection.

Coq is definitely a deadman walking but he's also a bellweather death. That is, in death his card flip reveals more about the other players than anything he could get done with his power now he's roleclaimed. Moreover, as an alive unknown he just throws a lot of confusion into the mix - is he alive because he is scum or is he alive to make us think he's scum. You big dummy. However, I also don't want to start voting on it because I wanna hear other people's feels on this and I know a Coq train could build up momentum quickly.

I don't know what to think bout Bif and FS.

Gwyn calling to lynch people effectively at random is really stupid newbie stuff or a scum windsock. Either way I don't think it's helping.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder Bif, I think Whats For Dinner came out of nowhere and am especially concerned that the people doing the voting are all building excuses to not have to stick around and defend their choices.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Kat Delacour posted:

In trying to understand Milky's absolute certainly that it wasn't a misplaced townie action I have probably confused myself, or may just end up confusing the game here. The only possible reason I can come up with for his certainty is that the GM response included both the target name and "action failed" outcome, because if I understand the role correctly being bussed would return an outcome for someone else. That Tirade himself responded to basically say "I get it, don't target me dumbass" either means Milky & Tirade are a team putting on a big show, or Tirade has an innately deflective role. Gaspy being gaspy, my money is on townies and natural deflection.

Coq is definitely a deadman walking but he's also a bellweather death. That is, in death his card flip reveals more about the other players than anything he could get done with his power now he's roleclaimed. Moreover, as an alive unknown he just throws a lot of confusion into the mix - is he alive because he is scum or is he alive to make us think he's scum. You big dummy. However, I also don't want to start voting on it because I wanna hear other people's feels on this and I know a Coq train could build up momentum quickly.

I don't know what to think bout Bif and FS.

Gwyn calling to lynch people effectively at random is really stupid newbie stuff or a scum windsock. Either way I don't think it's helping.

I am the Eden-Monaro of nightkills.

Not convinced on Whats for Dinner yet, but will chime in towards 9 if we need a hammer etc.

Agree on not lynching low content posters, though it will become a more attractive strategy as the game wears on.

I tend to believe that the Milky/Tirade exchange is absolutely innocent, but I'm not sure which intersection of roles could have provoked such a strong reaction from Milky.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Freudian Slip posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. The bussing idea was just spit balling theories how the information we had could fit together.

I much prefer TOML's theory now of a paranoid gun owner. Is there anything that would disprove that theory?

It's a very rare and powerful role for the town.

I think we have two scum teams.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Decepticons and Constructicons, clearly.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Or combaticons, even.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
it's just cons all over the place

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really don't quite understand the "what's for dinner" argument, because it seems to hinge on the fact that he's suss on Coq (I argue, for good reason) and because he has a low postcount (which could be for any reason). It seems like a band-wagon vote, and it's not enough for me.

That said, I feel like bifs makes a good point about FS, mostly because he got so defensive after Bif's post.

Freudian Slip posted:

We seem to be going around in circles Bif.

I didn't lay low last night. I voted for Anidav because at that point there was only white noise and Anidav starting to melt down. I knew I was going out in the evening and wanted to vote before I left. I was happy with the vote then and thought the vote would be over quickly. I didn't get back home till after hammer and was surprised by the amount of posting.

Today I have had more to go beyond the white noise of yesterday. I have been fairly strident that we shouldn't lynch Coq today because of the role claim he has made. I have also shown that a poo poo town of people have him as their prime suspect. If he makes it tomorrow, he will have to clarify his role and then we can see whether someone contests his role. In the meantime, we should focus on finding someone else.

In terms of Mills, yes Mills did vote for me and I said that the whole mafia team would have to be noobs to kill him because they were scared that Mills was on to them. Mills himself talks about the fact that he usually has a good idea who is scum by day 2. I think the scum decided not to give him the chance. This is just a theory though.

As for Mith, I believe TOML's theory now is the best as Mith would have been using her power to watch someone. If they were a paranoid gun owner - that would explain how she was killed. I no longer think bussing was involved - at the time I was trying to link Milky's Tirade post with Mith's death.

ie. Milky tries to kill Tirade, but Tirade and Mith were Bussed so he killed Mith instead and wonders why Tirade was still alive.

The only thing that makes me question the paranoid gun owner theory is that Milky is fairly adamant that Mith was not killed by a townie power.

Freudian Slip posted:

a poo poo tonne of people have him as their prime suspect.

A lot of what FS seems to be saying is contradictory. He's claiming that he's anti-Coq lynch, but the second suspicion falls on him, he makes it a point to highlight (twice!) that Coq is the town's prime suspect. This smacks so strongly of deflection. Which is it, FS? Are you Anti-coq lynch or pro? If it's the former, why are you so keen to remind everyone that he's been the town's prime suspect? If you're for it, then saying you're against it is a pretty poor defense!

Honestly, I'm not buying what you're selling.

##vote Freudian Slip

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Reminding people that coq was the towns prime suspect when the town has an unusually high newbie count might actually be a pro-coq point.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Gwynplaine posted:

Reminding people that coq was the towns prime suspect when the town has an unusually high newbie count might actually be a pro-coq point.

I am very pro-Coq

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If it gets to 8pm without any further feedback or suggestions I'm voting for Coq for the reasons outlined above. This encroaching curfew and lack of posting is very frustrating.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'll have to vote shortly due to gym such.

##unvote

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

whats for dinner (3): Those On My Left, Splode, black_tangled
SKY COQ (1): Small Keating
Freudian Slip (1): Old Dirty Cumburgs
Tirade (0): Milky Moor, Milky Moor

Not Voting (12): Bifauxnen, dj-bbq, Freudian Slip, Gwynplaine, hiddenmovement, Kat Delacour, Matthew Beet, Milky Moor, MysticalMachineGun, SKY COQ, Tirade, whats for dinner

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 18th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 51 minutes.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've been convinced by others excellent in depth posting:

##vote Freudian Slip

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, for now, I'm going this way. May change my vote if I'm back in time and there's some better ideas.

##vote Freudian Slip

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

well that's annoying, I got home after thinking on the drive over that I'm tired of this info paralysis with trying to read into everything way too elaborately, and that I might try and stew on the FS thing a while longer. Just trusting that I've made enough of a stink for now that if there's anything worthwhile in there, it'll probably come to light more clearly a bit later. Seeing that some others have voted along with it without any more significant comment is just making me nervous.

So if you guys are just going to follow me around for now instead of posting more scumhuting, I'm just go on that bad feeling I had instead. I don't like how b_t said what's for dinner is the "best bet" out of a big field of nothing.

##vote black_tangled

TOML is giving me a similar feeling for what it's worth.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

While I agree that speculation and scumhunting are valuable, nothing gets the posts flying like some votes. I voted for FS based on some good posts by others and my own suspicions - let's see what that brings out.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Bifauxnen posted:

well that's annoying, I got home after thinking on the drive over that I'm tired of this info paralysis with trying to read into everything way too elaborately, and that I might try and stew on the FS thing a while longer. Just trusting that I've made enough of a stink for now that if there's anything worthwhile in there, it'll probably come to light more clearly a bit later. Seeing that some others have voted along with it without any more significant comment is just making me nervous.

So if you guys are just going to follow me around for now instead of posting more scumhuting, I'm just go on that bad feeling I had instead. I don't like how b_t said what's for dinner is the "best bet" out of a big field of nothing.

##vote black_tangled

TOML is giving me a similar feeling for what it's worth.

There is a weak case for whats for dinner, it's not entirely random. Suddenly charging in with the hammer is always suspicious, and while his justification was ok, it's been pretty much his only post all day.

I guess now that I think about it, it's only suspicious if Coq is scum, and if Coq is scum then it makes more sense to vote for him

##unvote

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

While I agree that speculation and scumhunting are valuable, nothing gets the posts flying like some votes. I voted for FS based on some good posts by others and my own suspicions - let's see what that brings out.

Yes, there is that. I think my experiment is just going push me right back towards flinging votes all around the place early on. I was worried I just made a lot of noise that turned out to be ultimately meaningless, but this alternative has been misery in comparison

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Agreed, and I'm at the pub so making sure I vote in case I don't get back in time.

##vote Freudian Slip

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

dj-bbq posted:

Agreed, and I'm at the pub so making sure I vote in case I don't get back in time.

##vote Freudian Slip

I think there's a big difference between throwing around votes to provoke a reaction and forming a bandwagon based off one posters shaky, speculative case.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

so far dj-bbq has

responded today immediately when somebody said he was quiet

thrown shade at the most obviously new player I've ever seen (seriously hiddenmovement, didn't you go have a look at earlier games before this one? It helps you pick it up much faster)

And then jumped on a shakier bandwagon than both the wagons yesterday.

##vote dj-bbq

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Alright, I'm back. I'm going to read over these votes for FS.

##unvote

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I've got he an effort post assembled on my computer but had to leave it for the moment while I put the kids to bed.

It was me basically looking firstly at both Bif and FS, then I had started on hiddenmovement and WFD and was also looking at MMG.

Going off memory for the moment, out of bif and FS it was a weird back and forth. Bif has made a couple of assumptions that were poor, one which I called her on one (scrounging for evidence to fit the theory). Overall nothing stands out beyond those two examples.

FS posts are kind of a non event. Nothing terrible stands out except for wanting to latch onto what I thought was an off hand comment by toml that is a more complicated explanation for last night (and the milky and Tirade exchange) when there are more simple explanations that you'd assume first.

Also Both FS and Bif have suspected coq and tried fleshing it out and have also come to (from memory) different conclusions.

Gonna go look at MMG because I can't remember what I was thinking.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

That said, I feel like bifs makes a good point about FS, mostly because he got so defensive after Bif's post.

A lot of what FS seems to be saying is contradictory. He's claiming that he's anti-Coq lynch, but the second suspicion falls on him, he makes it a point to highlight (twice!) that Coq is the town's prime suspect. This smacks so strongly of deflection. Which is it, FS? Are you Anti-coq lynch or pro? If it's the former, why are you so keen to remind everyone that he's been the town's prime suspect? If you're for it, then saying you're against it is a pretty poor defense!

Honestly, I'm not buying what you're selling.

##vote Freudian Slip

Here's a hint for new players. There is a question mark at the bottom left of each poster. If you click it - it filters the thread down to just those posters posts. ODC, if you had clicked this you could have read the posts Bif was talking about and I wouldn't have to block post them!

Freudian Slip posted:

Lol - so your theory is I am trying dissuade people from lynching Coq early in the piece so that scum can kill him tonight. Why wouldn't I just let the train build and near the end drat him with faint praise? That would save scum having to kill him at night and they can chose another townie instead.

I am trying to make sure that we don't lynch him because he has made I believe an important role claim. Lets not help scum by killing him today.

Coq could still be scum, but he has painted a huge target on his chest with his role claim that if false will make him an easy target down the track. If he is not who is claiming he is, the true character can let us know tomorrow so as not to endanger themselves tonight (which maybe Coqs play if he really is scum since he knows that he is high on people's suss list)

Freudian Slip posted:

People may not yet be voting for Coq - but he is currently on the top of a lot of people's poo poo list. If Coq is town and I was town I would be wanting to encourage these thoughts - not discourage. Evidence of people stating today that they think Coq is suss

+A whole bunch of posts of people who think Coq is scum+

My statement should read if I was "scum" I would want to encourage these thoughts.

Freudian Slip posted:

If you look at my earlier posts about Coq you will see that he has made a fairly specific claim.

Now making a role claim early is bad no matter if you are town or scum.

1)If you are town, it paints a big target on your chest for a night kill.

2)If you are scum, it is likely that another town player will have that role and call you out on this. This means you will get lynched eventually. For scum its a desperate play. At the moment, if he is scum it is very likely that someone has the role he has claimed. As town we don't want to reveal themselves today - because we will be back at point one.

Either way Coq is a deadman walking. On the balance of things he is probably town, so lets not help scum by lynching him today.

Now if you guys read those set of posts and still feel that I am somehow both in favour and against a lynch on Coq today. I don't know what to say.

I do find it interesting that some of the quietest players have also come out to bandwagon this post.

I also find it interesting that ODC is voting based on Bifs posting and MMG and DJ BBQ are voting on ODC's post. Yet Bif isn't voting for me.

In any case for any sane town out there, lets not vote for Coq today, he is a dead man walking whether he is scum or more likely town. Lets not do the scum's job for them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah, the sudden rush onto FS from more quiet posters (Milky included) when my looking into him is still just so convoluted felt kind of lazy and unnerving to me. I had a stronger gut suspicion for b_t and TOML after they seemed to move together on WFD, but the fact that dj-bbq has now also joined on the FS wagon after my objection (and suggested he's not going to be around to change it) just gives me even more of a bad feeling that I might be going down a dead end here.

He's not contributing anything original, but that popping up earlier when he was mentioned suggests it's not from a lack of watching what's going on. Maybe I'll vote with you Splode, for -

black_tangled posted:

Alright, I'm back. I'm going to read over these votes for FS.
##unvote

Maybe you should try stating what your own picks have been during the day instead, or explaining the WFD case better if that's really your favorite one. I suppose I'll leave my vote where it is.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

I've got a bit of a bad feeling about this whats for dinner case, (unless he shows up soon to start scumming up the joint in defense), but it might be worth chasing if we got nothing else. If he did flip scum, that'd at least clear that nagging voice out of my head about why TOML and b_t are both sold on it.

I'm not 100% sold on it, but I'm not 100% sold on anyone. That doesn't matter. In Mafia, town's main tool is the lynch. Always lynch. Always be voting.

As I don't really buy the vote on Coq, it's my responsibility to put forward an alternative. I've done the best I can - I tried to feel out some other suspicions (including a suspicion of you, Bif) and wound up on WFD.

I see a bit of a train has happened on FS. I'm going to eat some dinner now (turned out my dinner/drinks engagement was just for drinks, and so I have a bit more spare time on my hands than I expected). Once I'm back I'll read the case on FS and see if I want to switch.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Can you expand on this a bit?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

I've been convinced by others excellent in depth posting:

##vote Freudian Slip

I too would love you to point out these "excellent in depth" posts

:allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hahahaha, TOML and b_t I will save you both some time and tell you that my FS case was crafted from reading (perhaps too much) into Mills having that one suspicion, and just getting myself all worked up into info paralysis. Maybe there is something there, but it's too shaky for now that by the time I got home, I thought it wasn't worth moving on yet after all, just putting my thought process out there in case future info suggests it's not totally bonkers.

If you guys think there's some merit in it, then someone in that whole group better come up with a better explanation than what I've already given, and fast, cause I am no longer sold on it at all.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Yeah, my play thus far has been quite scummy, I've got no defense. It just hasn't been a good couple of days to sit down and play mafia.

I admit that I'm focusing pretty hard on Coq because of the role stuff, but Mills was also suss on him early in the piece. I don't know if the scum nightkill was to try and put more shade on Coq or just a case of wanting to get to him before he got too persuasive.

The other reason I'm leaning toward voting for Coq is because Mills and Bif were both leaning pretty hard on him and they drew some connections that I didn't. I'm still no good with the whiteboard and red string but I'm trying!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

just gives me even more of a bad feeling that I might be going down a dead end here.

I don't think FS is suss enough for a vote honestly. If I had to choose out of either of you I'd vote you first, to be honest.

That said, the speed at which this vote has grown is interesting and FS getting lynched would be an interesting test on flip to see who voted for him and how quickly they did so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

The thing is Mills is like a flasher in the park on D1. He flashes people with a vote for them to see how they react and can read more into it. I was already away for the night so I didn't get a chance to react.

It's a great way for someone who knows how to read people to throw people off their game when there is only white noise about.

• Locked thread