Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Mantle posted:

I'm not quite sure the radio analogy is a good one. According to the principle of reciprocity, the base station should be able to pick up the handheld signal just as well as it can transmit to it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)

Doesn't that just mean that a given antenna can transmit and receive equally well? I'd think if you have two antennas with different capabilities, the weaker one could be at a range where it could receive from the more powerful, but not be able to transmit back.

When I was a park ranger there were plenty of times a portable could receive from a base radio but not transmit back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

Doesn't that just mean that a given antenna can transmit and receive equally well? I'd think if you have two antennas with different capabilities, the weaker one could be at a range where it could receive from the more powerful, but not be able to transmit back.

When I was a park ranger there were plenty of times a portable could receive from a base radio but not transmit back.

I think the theory is that the weaker one is transmitting more weakly, but the stronger one is also more sensitive, so it can pick up the weaker signal. I don't know how it works in practice and there could be other factors involved.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Those who really want high upload speeds, what do you use the high up speeds for? :filez: ? Is there a real benefit to the casual browser/game player as long as it's not stupid low and laggy?

Uploading video, streaming, backing my poo poo up, video chat, uploading release binaries, hosting game servers, accessing my music/videos/ebooks/etc from my laptop when I'm away from home.

Yeah, someone who's "just browsing" doesn't need much upload, but any sort of content creator or "power user" -- and there's a lot of both these days -- is going to need a lot more than 1Mbit, and even 10Mbit is pretty cramped. And in a lot of places there still aren't many (or any) options between "residential link with as much download as you want but lovely upload and caps" and "commercial link with loads of upload and a four figure price tag".

I'm on 25/10. By sinking a lot more money into it I could double or quadruple my download rate, but it's more upload I want and I can't get that unless I get a business connection.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm 60/20 and I'd never go back to a sub-5Mbps upload. Backups are online and set-and-forget.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Hmm, well... you need upload capacity to handle the acknowledgment of packets from your (TCP) downloads, but that's about the only time you could declare you need a specific minimum. With a 25Mbit connection, at least 1.25Mbit is spent just sending ACKs, so you could have some room with 5Mbit up.
Backups and stuff are a pretty drat good use case, but I also don't really know what good a lot of upstream is for unless you're serving content.

Plex is a nice thing I set up for myself and close friends/family, and I do store photos and stuff online, but if I'm honest, there's little point to my 50Mbit upstream these days (I'm on 50/50).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slidebite posted:

Question I've been meaning to ask about upload/download speeds.. not necessarily :canada: specific but just in general.

Why is upload generally so much lower than download. Is it a technical limitation? Is xDSL in particular more limited?

Those who really want high upload speeds, what do you use the high up speeds for? :filez: ? Is there a real benefit to the casual browser/game player as long as it's not stupid low and laggy?

Twitch superstardom bro. 320p is about all you can do in this country. The cartel is holding back Canadians from claiming their rightful place in the HD live-streaming world. :madmax:

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

Out of curiosity to those people talking about switching to Telus, why wouldn't you just use Teksavvy DSL in those places?

After taking into account the fact that Telus essentially gives you a bunch of money for signing up in the form of a hefty discount for 6 months, and Teksavvy makes you pay a bunch of money in the form of modem and installation fees, it takes 3 years for Teksavvy to be a better choice price wise. For the 25Mbit plan anyway.

Start.ca breaks even in 20 months, which is better. Lightspeed is similar.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

if you let Telus cancel your service with another provider they give you like $100 too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Frankly, in Ontario at least Teksavvy's service (both the actual internet service and the support provided for it) has not been that great for some time.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

infernal machines posted:

Frankly, in Ontario at least Teksavvy's service (both the actual internet service and the support provided for it) has not been that great for some time.

Well their service is only as good as the company providing it.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Mantle posted:

Where are you located? I'm interested in the Vancouver market as well.

I don't know anything about the delivery method other than they said is all on-net.

Very far away. Windsor Ontario :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Figured this would be a good place to ask. My dad is fed up with Rogers cable/internet after their 5th price hike in 2 years and is now looking to switch. Ive been trying to help him find a good alternative but options are limited here in Barrie (Ontario). Rogers, Bell, Comwave and Teksavvy seem to be the big players and they all range from piss poor to questionable at best. Should I just recommend Teksavvy as the least worst option and hope it works out or am I just missing a shiny golden nugget in the turd that is Canadian Internet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TekSavvy is the most polished turd, unless you're the bourgeoisie and can get actual fibre.

TekSavvy
30/5, 400gb cap - $54.99

Rogers
30/5, 270gb cap - $79.99
+ Shomi - +$8.99 & counts against your cap

Small Business plan
30/5, Unlimited cap, 3 year term - $64.99

Not even a contest, and I'd rather deal with TekSavvy's tech support than Rogers'. gently caress them and the cartel.

Rogers delenda est.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Oh I can get fiber in Victoria. Here's an updated quote from Shaw. lol.

Shaw posted:

I have amended my pricing on the 25Mbps service and added options for 10, 15 and 20 below.
code:
XXX YYYY Street                3 Year  5-Year 
10 Mbps Internet Fiber Gateway $601.00 $552.00
15 Mbps Internet Fiber Gateway $760.00 $713.00
20 Mbps Internet Fiber Gateway $836.00 $784.00
25 Mbps Internet Fiber Gateway $951.00 $891.00
·       Pricing includes Unlimited Usage Plan.

·       Pricing includes Static and Dynamic IPs

·       Proposed service is 100% on Shaw facilities (On-Net)

·       One-time installation fee of $1,000.00 applies

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is that per a month? So affordable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The shareholders didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques, my man.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's for a business connection with an SLA, a semi-guaranteed MTTR and unlimited data, so yeah that pricing isn't particularly unreasonable at all.

Even for 10Mbit you're not likely to get a business class service for under $350/mo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

The shareholders didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques, my man.

Just letting the CEO write big ones to themselves.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

That's for a business connection with an SLA, a semi-guaranteed MTTR and unlimited data, so yeah that pricing isn't particularly unreasonable at all.

Even for 10Mbit you're not likely to get a business class service for under $350/mo.

The lovely part of it is there is no residential fiber. It's either $600/mo or nothing. Where are the options for non SLA and capped fiber?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There aren't any, presumably because they don't feel there's a sufficient ROI. Basically if you want fibre it's a business class service.

Hell, even here in Toronto there's only a dozen blocks or so in very high density new condo developments that have FTTH. It's relatively expensive to build and 99% of consumers are just going to compare the price to whatever DSL or Cable service they have now, practically speaking no one cares about symmetrical connections for home use.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For those in Telus land with Teksavvy, they're able to offer 50/10.

Teksavvy posted:

I have some great news for you in you are in our Telus footprint out West! Effective immediately, we are now able to provide the 50Mbps DSL to those that qualify. Here is the pricing details:

- 50/10 Pro - $53.95 (400GB)
- 50/10 Unlimited - $59.95 (Unlimited)
- $25.00 Speed change fee charged on next invoice

Currently, we only have the non-bonded package available however we are looking further into offering the 25Mbps bonded solution in the near future.

As it stands right now, this new service is not available on our website or general sign-up channels (phone, web forms, etc...). If you are interested in upgrading, you will need to post in the Direct Forum (»TekSavvy Direct) with your account information an which package you want. We will manually process your order and provide updates through the Direct Thread you create.

The modem requirements are the same as the 25Mbps package which supports the use of the following modems:
- ALU 7130
- Actiontec V1000H
- ZyXel VSG1432

The installation shouldn't require a truck roll however if there is one needed, we will inform you once we receive confirmation.
$60 unlimited? Yeah, I'll give that a shot thanks.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

For those in Telus land with Teksavvy, they're able to offer 50/10.

$60 unlimited? Yeah, I'll give that a shot thanks.

Does anyone know if this would be available in Edmonton? I'm on Teksavvy Cable 50 but poo poo, sign me up for those prices and usage caps, even if I have to eat a hit on the new modem and install

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would be surprised if it isn't available everywhere in Edmonton as long as your line noise/distance is OK. I'm down in Lethbridge on their 25/5 plan and I'll definitely be trying for this. It's less than $10 more over my unlimited 25/5.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm paying like 85 for 50/5 300 GB so this is a no brainer

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Keep in mind you'll have to buy the dsl modem as well which will be a $200-ish touch, but you'll save that in a year as long as their prices don't drastically go up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Holy crap, $60 for unlimited 50/10? Apart from the modem purchase what is the catch? I'm worried the service will be flaky, basically.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Holy crap, $60 for unlimited 50/10? Apart from the modem purchase what is the catch? I'm worried the service will be flaky, basically.

At the end of the day, you're limited to the service/line Telus is able to provide to your house, and basically the only way to know if it'll be good at your house is to bite the bullet, or ask Teksavvy what kind of line stats people around you get.

Ignoring the Telus variable though, there is no catch, truly unlimited. I have Teksavvy's unlimited DSL in the East and used 1TB the first month I got it after being stuck on 50GB/mo and I didn't hear a peep, regularly use 500GB/mo.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 21, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Teksavvy via Telus infrastructure has been really good to me. I only had 1 issue early in my dealings but it was due to Telus infrastructure, not Teksavvy. I've been rock solid with them since. I'll be jumping on this for sure as long as I qualify.

e: Potential hook up/transfer fees, etc.

ee: To be clear, they are only doing this "unofficially" for now according to their forum in DSL reports. You have to post in their direct tech support forum with your account info to sign up. Not sure if they'll give it to you if you're not already a customer but who knows :shrug:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29874663-DSL-Telus-50Mbs

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 21, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
drat I'm jelly of those plans. I pay nearly that for 45/5 and 350gb, and that's only because my plan is grandfathered in at start.ca.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

8ender posted:

drat I'm jelly of those plans. I pay nearly that for 45/5 and 350gb, and that's only because my plan is grandfathered in at start.ca.
:lol:

I'm sure Telus will cry to the CRTC about their internet pipes being clogged up and need to raise the tariff as soon as they're able too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have the 50/10 with Telus now and it is like $80 for 400GB. Great service, if I can get the same for 60 and unlimited I'd be laughing.

Telus does keep giving me free tv though - gotta phone in March and threaten to cancel it again, see if they re up another three free months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Supposedly according to the qualification tool that Teksavvy uses, I'm not qualified for 50/10 in my 6 year old house/neighborhood. Sort of surprises me but who knows.

They're putting in a ticket with Telus to check for sure as I guess there have been issues with their tool in the past, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

+ Shomi - +$8.99 & counts against your cap

Hahah why am I not surprised in the least? Kind of a shame it doesn't because that'd only be more evidence for how bullshit caps are.

I'm kind of surprised they aren't just offering it for free, or AT LEAST cheaper then netflix, as I'd imagine that'd be a good way to steal market share from them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Hahah why am I not surprised in the least? Kind of a shame it doesn't because that'd only be more evidence for how bullshit caps are.

I'm kind of surprised they aren't just offering it for free, or AT LEAST cheaper then netflix, as I'd imagine that'd be a good way to steal market share from them.

the crtc actually had to enforce this, previously bell and rogers were trying to give their steaming services a pass on the cap while still counting netflix usage, which is plainly anti-competitive.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

the crtc actually had to enforce this, previously bell and rogers were trying to give their steaming services a pass on the cap while still counting netflix usage, which is plainly anti-competitive.

Yeah, basically this. I'm actually all in favour of counting those services against transfer caps. Bell is actually in the process of wasting taxpayer money to try and contest this decision, I'm hoping it'll somehow backfire horribly and have IPTV requalified as actual Internet traffic, thus crippling Telus and Bell's stance for data caps.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I didn't think about it that way, but now I understand why, thanks.

Now I'm rather surprised the CRTC got off their asses to bother.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

According to Teksavvy I would need to go bonded to get 50/10 service, which they do not presently offer :(

So brings up a question though, what is the metric they use to figure that out? Noise? Distance? I live in a fairly new neighborhood (late 00s) and I think the DSLAM is about 2 blocks away. My 25/5 connection is rock solid.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

According to Teksavvy I would need to go bonded to get 50/10 service, which they do not presently offer :(

So brings up a question though, what is the metric they use to figure that out? Noise? Distance? I live in a fairly new neighborhood (late 00s) and I think the DSLAM is about 2 blocks away. My 25/5 connection is rock solid.

Probably the service availability database provided by your telecom company.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Any spill over on the horizon from the states FCC classification ruling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Any spill over on the horizon from the states FCC classification ruling?

I don't think there is any legal spill over, but it does help educate the population when we see it in the news and can create political pressure.