Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I checked out sometime after he said some body shaming poo poo about fat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

kizudarake posted:

What'd you think of Stephen King's Thinner?

I never read it but I really liked Dedication

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Interesting that you are intimate enough with the subject to know that there is magic that is blacker than Gypsy magic and yet you took time out of your esoteric studies to watch a comic book show.
So which is magic is blackest? And how are you defining 'black'.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EmptyVessel posted:

Interesting that you are intimate enough with the subject to know that there is magic that is blacker than Gypsy magic and yet you took time out of your esoteric studies to watch a comic book show.

American Horror Story: Coven had some of the blackest magic ever and was also some of the best TV I've ever watched

Zushio
May 8, 2008
On the topic of Constantine is John portrayed in it as a very powerful mage who uses as little magic as possible and relies on con artistry (like in Hellblazer) or is it BALLS TO THE WALL UBER MAGE SPELL SLINGING ACTION (like in the new comics)?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

EmptyVessel posted:

You know their point is that "gypsy" is a racial slur right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zushio posted:

On the topic of Constantine is John portrayed in it as a very powerful mage who uses as little magic as possible and relies on con artistry (like in Hellblazer) or is it BALLS TO THE WALL UBER MAGE SPELL SLINGING ACTION (like in the new comics)?

A bit of both. He uses magic regularly, but he's not lobbing fireballs about like a superhero. He fucks up often enough and it's only really the weak tricks that work every time. The Twatcave is the biggest weakness, for reasons previously mentioned.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Idran posted:

Not quite - Gypsy/Gipsy can be used as a racial slur but that's context dependent. It is also applied to several different unrelated groups. See here.

Constantine was obviously making an esoteric joke anyway - "Gypsy" is etymologically derived from Egypt, which is where European gypsies were once thought to originate. The original name for Egypt was Khem/kmt which translates as Black. Simple.

:ssh:No occultist worth his salt would make the basic dualist error of thinking Black = Bad. "Osiris is a Black god".

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

American Horror Story: Coven had some of the blackest magic ever and was also some of the best TV I've ever watched

This is a fantastic troll all around.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Constantine movie is a fun little movie. I really enjoyed it. It just has absolutely nothing to do with the comics.

Peter Stormare was absolutely fantastic as Satan.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Idran posted:

It really isn't, and even if it was, it's pretty dumb to turn off a TV show just because a character said a bad word. Is American History X a bad film because Edward Norton says "friend of the family" a whole lot?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It really isn't, and

lmao

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's not a slur in America, which is where the show is written, produced and aired, but by all means continue to spaz out about it.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
It's pretty standard vernacular even if Romani or Irish Traveler would be more accurate. It's like "coloured" in that its mostly used by people who don't know better rather than actual bigots. Actual bigots use "gyppo" or "pikey".

The curse-casting gypsy trope is a bit lazy I grant you but this is fantasy comic book land where everyone does magic all the time, so gently caress it, why not?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's pretty standard vernacular even if Romani or Irish Traveler would be more accurate. It's like "coloured" in that

lol

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Personally I stopped watching Constantine with the one where he was dismissive of otherkin

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Words have different meanings in different places.

It's like how some people say Scottish when they mean British.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

It really isn't, and even if it was, it's pretty dumb to turn off a TV show just because a character said a bad word. Is American History X a bad film because Edward Norton says "friend of the family" a whole lot?

AHX is bad for a host of other reasons besides that.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Frostwerks posted:

AHX is bad for a host of other reasons besides that.

Do tell

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

It's pretty standard vernacular even if Romani or Irish Traveler would be more accurate. It's like "coloured" in that its mostly used by people who don't know better rather than actual bigots. Actual bigots use "gyppo" or "pikey".

The curse-casting gypsy trope is a bit lazy I grant you but this is fantasy comic book land where everyone does magic all the time, so gently caress it, why not?

I loving hate pikeys

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Reivax posted:

I loving hate pikeys

*fookin

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
*'ate

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Please don't eat the Romani

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

death .cab for qt posted:

But DO help them with their UFO problem.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That one guy must have been really offended by Snatch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

death .cab for qt posted:

That's pikelets, not pikeys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kizudarake posted:

Archer season 6, episode 4 ends with a really nice Coen Brothers-esque shot with music that calls back to Fargo. The episode is set in Wisconsin.

Fargo is set in Minnesota. If anything it's a joke about Alison Tolman.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fargo is set in Minnesota. If anything it's a joke about Alison Tolman.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are p much the same state

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Minnesota and Wisconsin are p much the same state

This is a great way to lose important body parts in either state.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only way anything important will ever end up in either of them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait is gypsy actually a racist term? Isn't that just what they're called? Have I been unknowingly racist for my entire life?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait is gypsy actually a racist term? Isn't that just what they're called? Have I been unknowingly racist for my entire life?

Yes, No, Yes.

Gypsy was a term applied to them because Europeans thought their dark skin meant they came from Egypt. In actuality their people originated in India and call themselves Romani.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm a bit confused as well, because I thought the racist thing was using 'gypped' as a verb meaning 'scammed'.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gypsy was good. Lots of catchy songs imo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I know in my country the dutch term for Gypsy is the official one, but calling a person "a gypsy" is still somewhat insulting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Who gives a poo poo, take it to D&D, post more subtle moments and less PC stuff.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Old James posted:

Yes, No, Yes.

Gypsy was a term applied to them because Europeans thought their dark skin meant they came from Egypt. In actuality their people originated in India and call themselves Romani.

Huh, I had no idea. There aren't too many Romani in Texas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's (another) one of those things Europeans made racist and ruined for everyone.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Romani/Gypsy is like Indian/Native American, not that hard to figure out why it's a faux-pas :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Indian actually tends to come out on top as the preferred term whenever studies/surveys/etc. are done.