Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

or if your transaction volume does anything other than stay really low
it's up to a million dollars free, I cannot imagine that most merchants get anywhere near that

also what are you talking about in regards to cashing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

free ross.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. Hate.

hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is some freaking win :D

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

theflyingorc posted:

it's up to a million dollars free, I cannot imagine that most merchants get anywhere near that

also what are you talking about in regards to cashing out

probably the fact that both pay significantly less than "market rate" (lol) for bitcoins

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

As a Millennial I posted:

hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is some freaking win :D

you dummy

that's from discworld

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crankit posted:

regarding ssd/raid 0 chat, do raid controllers and drivers now properly support trim commands, because i remember that was a problem when trim was still new with ssds but i haven't cared because i already had an ssd not in raid

Yes, though I can only vouch for Intel's server RAID controllers and my personal experience with mdadm at home

mdadm always reminds me of mdma

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

LongDarkNight posted:

AM = asic miner? :wth:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
i sat thru a 9 hours soverign citizen lecture that was more enjoyable than 15 minutes of antonpoop

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

you dummy

that's from discworld

are you familiar with the phrase "trap sprung"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BobHoward posted:

the drive controller keeps that mapping data on those very same flash chips. flash is the only nonvolatile storage available, it's used for everything that has to be remembered across powerdown.

I was under the impression that the flash controller chip had a small bank of NOR flash onboard so that it would know exactly where to look for that data on the flash chips. I could of course be wrong but counting on a particular section of a flash chip be 100% error free is a recipe for lower yields due to the random nature of cell failures caused by the manufacturing process.

Phoenixan posted:

i suppose as long as you back up your poo poo, it's fine, but the thing is, not enough people back up their poo poo and do this anyway because "BUT IT INCRASES MY READ/WRITE SPEEDS"

also backing up their poo poo seems to be a major way that bitcoiners get their bitcoins stolen.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Shifty Pony posted:

also backing up their poo poo seems to be a major way that bitcoiners get their bitcoins stolen.

Wow, that gave me the idea that this would be a fun link to try, and it already delivered at the top of the list
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/search?q=dropbox&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

Trezor Mistake posted:

Took a photo with my mobile device of the written Trezor settings, Pass phrase, Pin, 24 word seed. Then right away I realized it uploaded to my dropbox to a non shared camera upload folder. I deleted the photo from there within seconds, and changed my Pin code right away as well. Do I still need to worry about anything? I know how to wipe and change recovery seed and what more but I am always nervous to do it. Any advice would be great

e: Doesn't look like anything got swiped, but we all know how secure dropbox is. Actually, looks like http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/search?q=backup&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all probably leads to more fun

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 18, 2015

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

capitaines d'industrie not understanding profit margin or the "supply" half of "supply and demand" itt

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

im seeing this on reuters but nothing anywhere else. but if true this means laffs for the bitcoin price in the future. hoping this isn't a reuters fuckup re-reporting on last year's auction

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

quote:

White scamer
Today at 01:16:43 PM
I don't know much about this site..
but i think this is white scammer
More than 90% people loose their bitcoin only 10 % people get profit
Be aware ..

http://cointelegraph.com

scam accusation against a bitcoin news site :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

im seeing this on reuters but nothing anywhere else. but if true this means laffs for the bitcoin price in the future. hoping this isn't a reuters fuckup re-reporting on last year's auction
Not if Tim Draper buys them for over the current asking price again.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

He looks like am android

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sharknado slashfic posted:

He looks like am android

no spoilers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
when will bitcoin crash again I'm getting tired of waiting

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

he could do that and STILL lower his dollar cost average!!!!! !!!!! !!!!!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
One of my friends just mentioned a game he's working on or playing wasn't really paying attention, I heard the name Satoshi and froze...

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

One of my friends just mentioned a game he's working on or playing wasn't really paying attention, I heard the name Satoshi and froze...

no court would convict you

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i agree. murder your friend.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

hasn't he confirmed that he's been buying on the open market in the last few months? if buying this tranche cut down on that for awhile, it could still have an effect

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

rjmccall posted:

hasn't he confirmed that he's been buying on the open market in the last few months? if buying this tranche cut down on that for awhile, it could still have an effect

i don't remember this if it was posted

soon all bitcoins will be owned by tim draper

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The bitcoin singularity

The bingularity

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I have a feeling bitcoiners would not realize this is satire

http://www.theonion.com/video/overcome-stress-by-visualizing-it-as-a-greedy-hook,17828/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The bitcoin singularity

The bingularity

these are two v different things tyvm

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theflyingorc posted:

you dummy

that's from discworld

You're both wrong. It's from Diamond Age.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I would have said system shock 2

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ever wonder where all those video cards went when they burned out from mining?

http://gpushack.com/

How do you know they're probably ex-mining rig cards?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I guess Nvidia was the one that was slightly less optimal for hashing? Is it safe to upgrade my video card yet as long as I buy new? Has the price returned to a reasonable mean yet?

Their return policy has got to be nonexistant or they're gonna get hit so hard with people asking why all the memory is dead on all those poor abused cards. I'm actually getting mad at the idea that anyone is getting any money back out of their terrible bitcoin setup investments and passing on the depreciation to used hardware buyers.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/12/09/barry-silbert-edges-out-tim-draper-with-48-000.html?page=all

he did say something about needing to buy on the open market, but i can't find confirmation he's actually done so

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Krinkle posted:

I guess Nvidia was the one that was slightly less optimal for hashing? Is it safe to upgrade my video card yet as long as I buy new? Has the price returned to a reasonable mean yet?

Their return policy has got to be nonexistant or they're gonna get hit so hard with people asking why all the memory is dead on all those poor abused cards. I'm actually getting mad at the idea that anyone is getting any money back out of their terrible bitcoin setup investments and passing on the depreciation to used hardware buyers.

with ASICS out, using graphics cards is basically pointless now. the effect of bitcoin mining on cards should be almost completely nonexistent at this part.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

rjmccall posted:

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/12/09/barry-silbert-edges-out-tim-draper-with-48-000.html?page=all

he did say something about needing to buy on the open market, but i can't find confirmation he's actually done so

tim draper buys them in person from some shady junkie in a walmart parking lot, duh

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

confirmed and complete with illustration

http://www.forbes.com/sites/katevin...richts-bitcoin/

who profits from bitcoin? USG

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nagato posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Nagato posted:

just 85 days until sentencing :kimchi:

• Locked thread