Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
soon all of his energy will be absorbed into the blockchain ad he will truly become bitcoin jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

A Pinball Wizard posted:

uhhh thats exactly what blockchain.org does

That's a detail in the comedy I'd somehow missed. Or refused to believe?

With a full list of every transaction, wouldn't it be possible to track down a fair number of every person who bought stuff on SR? Or every person (or at least wallet) that bought a wooden bitcoin dong?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

OB_Juan posted:

With a full list of every transaction, wouldn't it be possible to track down a fair number of every person who bought stuff on SR? Or every person (or at least wallet) that bought a wooden bitcoin dong?

why are some of your letters bigger than others

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

OB_Juan posted:

there are 2 main things preventing this

1: you don't know who controls an address unless they prove it. there's not even a way to know if an address is controlled by ANYONE, which is why we don't know for certain if Satoshi even has access to his dragon hoard

2. you can send coins through tumblers to anonymize them, though this is not foolproof

but yeah if I pay you a coin out of my account and you know the receiving address of bitcoinbuttplugs.com you can look and see if I also gave them money at some point

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

OB_Juan posted:

With a full list of every transaction, wouldn't it be possible to track down a fair number of every person who bought stuff on SR?

yes

e: there are pretty interesting theoretical attacks such as http://www.scmagazine.com/researchers-present-method-to-deanonymize-bitcoin-users/article/386520/

Rick Ross Ulbricht fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 18, 2015

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Compulsive use of the shift key. Don't disorder shame me, neurotypical.

theflyingorc posted:

there are 2 main things preventing this

1: you don't know who controls an address unless they prove it. there's not even a way to know if an address is controlled by ANYONE, which is why we don't know for certain if Satoshi even has access to his dragon hoard

2. you can send coins through tumblers to anonymize them, though this is not foolproof

but yeah if I pay you a coin out of my account and you know the receiving address of bitcoinbuttplugs.com you can look and see if I also gave them money at some point

Still, this crys out for someone good at dealing with huge piles of data to do something with it.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 18, 2015

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

It is possible but still hard because you don't know which addresses are owned by which people and there are services to scramble them around so you can't link addresses to purchases easily.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you can obfuscate your transactions by basically generating a whole bunch of fake transactions that shuffle coins together, preferably with coins from other sources, and happen to eventually drop the right amount in the right addresses. it's usually called tumbling or mixing or shuffling or something like that

in theory it creates plausible deniability: even if someone manages to tie you to the originating address(es), you can claim that your involvement ended there, because you bought something from someone else and it was them who did the rest, honestly officer

i don't think this has ever been seriously tested, though

and ross supposedly didn't do it when transferring from the sr wallet to the wallet on his laptop, so welp

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
mark stop syphoning andreas's soul :ohdear:

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

OB_Juan posted:

Compulsive use of the shift key. Don't disorder shame me, neurotypical.

Still, this crys out for someone good at dealing with huge piles of data to do something with it.

quote:

“I suspect that the online drug marketplace is a passing fad because it’s too traceable, too vulnerable to hacking,” said Mr. Weaver at the International Computer Science Institute. Once Bitcoins are converted to another currency, the government can subpoena the records of the exchange where the transaction took place and harvest all the information it needs. “Bitcoin isn’t really a ‘coin’ as much as a distributed, public balance ledger,” Mr. Weaver added, “with every balance and transaction recorded.”

Hence Bitcoin’s wry new nickname in legal circles: “Prosecution Futures.”

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Magrov posted:

Hence Bitcoin’s wry new nickname in legal circles: “Prosecution Futures.”

:eyepop:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

rjmccall posted:

in theory it creates plausible deniability: even if someone manages to tie you to the originating address(es), you can claim that your involvement ended there, because you bought something from someone else and it was them who did the rest, honestly officer.

Currency of the future.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

in theory it creates plausible deniability: even if someone manages to tie you to the originating address(es), you can claim that your involvement ended there, because you bought something from someone else and it was them who did the rest, honestly officer

this might keep you out of jail but it will definitely not stop the gubbint from seizing your butts

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A comment in the "We Deserve A Better Bitcoin Experience Than Circle" thread.

quote:

We run a Bitcoin service in France (La Maison du Bitcoin) where we accept credit card payments. You have no idea about the level of sophistication scammers are achieving in order to manage to bypass our KYC!

To open an account remotely, we require identification papers and proof of residence.

But of course, we started to receive stolen IDs from unsuspecting people and we decided to ask for a land line phone bill so we could call them.

What did they do? They bought local skype numbers and faked phone bills.

Then we decided to ask for selfie, so we could be sure we were in contact with the real person. You think it would be enough to stop scammers? Well, no!

They went to a new level.

They published false job positions offers in some parts of France where people are desesperate to get a job. Basically a receptionnist position in a hotel. Then they tell job applicants they will be paid using some kind of new electronic money, and that the first step of the process would be to open an account on our service (using a webmail they provide, on which they control the passwords).

So we started to receive strange requests of account opening from people who didn't seem to have clue about what Bitcoin is. By doing some enquiries, we discovered the scam and had to contact the national job agency to have them remove the false offers!

But you'll ask, WHY do they go such length to buy bitcoins with credit cards? Not because they want to clear stolen cards, but because they have organized crime rings stealing (other) IDs and opening accounts in small bank branches. Then they proceed to contract instant consumer credits (something like 3000 EUR), and they can only pay using virtual credit cards (no cash withdraw).

These virtual cards are not stolen, are verified 3D secure, and only months after the accounts has been emptied banks wake up and start crying fool. Then the police comes, see that all the money has been processed by a small Bitcoin service, and guess who's the primary suspect for this massive scam? Well, us.

That's why all bitcoin services have (or should have) crazy customer verifications, so they can protect their own rear end.

quote:

The interesting thing about this story is, the weak link here that made these scams possible in the first place was the inherently weak security of the credit card system.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
mods, "prosecution futures", tia

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Magrov posted:

“Prosecution Futures.”

mods, this is a matter of some urgency

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

thirded

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

mods, this is a matter of some urgency

i think all the mods died:(

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
smythe is at work

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

trucutru posted:

A comment in the "We Deserve A Better Bitcoin Experience Than Circle" thread.

that second guy legit makes me mad

no you idiot, the stolen bitcoins are the part that the bank isn't able to fix. the credit card part gets fixed!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A Pinball Wizard posted:

being a literal nazi isnt against the law

no, it isn't, but people should know.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

no, it isn't, but people should know.

remember the first amendment binds the government and not the people, which means that if a literal nazi starts spouting off it's your patriotic duty to sock him one

captain america would be proud

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
weev is a literal honest to god American hero

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

remember the first amendment binds the government and not the people, which means that if a literal nazi starts spouting off it's your patriotic duty to sock him one

captain america would be proud

agreed, weev is a piece of poo poo, but the government cant take "hes a literal nazi" into account when sentencing him for computer crime

gently caress i dont even know what im arguing except that sentences in the us are ridiculously long for no gain

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

...! posted:

I just burnt 0.56 btc (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by n1nj4_v5_p1r4t3

This morning I went to a friends to take care of their dogs while they were gone. The dogs outdoor water source was dark and nasty, so I thought I would change it. While doing so, I slipped, got my shoes soaked and didnt notice my phone fell out of my pocket. Left, searched for phone, came back hours later, and found my phone in the mud. dried it up with a paper towel, took it apart, dabbed out the inside, then was going to put it in the toaster on low. I turned the toaster on, put it in, then forgot to turn the toaster off when it reached temp. I started smelling it, ran over, it was to hot to pull out with my hands so I used my shirt as a glove. the plastic is all warped, the screen bulged and probably cracked. No back up. I am a triple idiot. Is there anyway to save the info on this phone? That is probably a question for another sub. Should I just store it in a ziploc bag until its worth trying to recover? fml

Every day I find a new way to be an idiot.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

welp new thread title found

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

theflyingexecutive posted:

before his sentencing he did an ama that basically said "gently caress the usg, id do it again tomorrow but worse, no regrets" which may have had smth to do with it
they cited this in the sentencing, yes

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

didn't know mr bean was on reddit now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Powershift posted:

And then bought out the domain of one of the news sites exposing them.

I didn't hear this last part. Was that coinfire?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

welp new thread title found

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I didn't hear this last part. Was that coinfire?

Yeah, they literally just got it back 5 hours ago.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

Currency of the future.

also, in the brave future of miners ignoring transactions that lack significant tips (no fees!), tumbled transactions will be vastly more expensive than non-anonymous ones, and services like bitcoin fog will probably have a daily service charge

so yeah,

OB_Juan posted:

Currency of the future.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Rick Ross Ulbricht posted:

holy poo poo he looks bad :stonk:

he looks like an alcoholic

i should know

i was one

also here's a thing

quote:

Someone was talking about a bitcoin commercial. What if the premise of bitcoin was even if you didnt know the language of the country you are in, you can still communicate via bitcoin since its global. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 42 minutes ago by GrounBEEFtaxi

Maybe a girl of an asian country and maybe an american male or european and they both meet. There is a little problem with communication obviously but the point is is that it can make travel look alot easier since bitcoin will be a common transacting language.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

there's also the fact that the public ledger means that a law-abiding citizen has no financial privacy unless blatant money laundering is legalized. you could easily stalk someone living on bitcoin, especially if they reuse addresses. you'd see how much funds they have, where they're sending those funds to, etc. and unlike a bank account, you don't need a subpoena to get those records.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
this weev guy sounds pretty poo poo and I wish he was still in prison

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Magrov posted:

“Prosecution Futures.”

theflyingorc posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Greyhawk posted:

Someone was talking about a bitcoin commercial. What if the premise of bitcoin was even if you didnt know the language of the country you are in, you can still communicate via bitcoin since its global. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 42 minutes ago by GrounBEEFtaxi

Maybe a girl of a south american country and maybe an american male or european and they both meet. There is a little problem with communication obviously but the point is is that it can make travel look alot easier since bitcoin will be a common transacting language.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Greyhawk posted:

i should know

i was one

also here's a thing

it's like esperanto, but without communication and instead you're shoving money in a lady's face, hoping she figures out what you want.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Greyhawk posted:

i should know

i was one

also here's a thing

same, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Greyhawk posted:

i should know

i was one

also here's a thing

so bear with me here, the commercial takes place in Brazil...

• Locked thread