Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone on CF noted the clock time is the same as the position in the title card for After Hours.

That seems like a perfect Criterion movie. An underseen but deeply-appreciated "minor" work from one of the great directors that would most likely just sit in a vault somewhere until it's tossed out in some bigger set with no extras or real special care in the transfer because it wasn't what the set was being sold on.

Now I'll be disappointed if it isn't. I loving love After Hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just to recap, here's stuff Criterion is known to be working on:

The Apu Trilogy
Why Worry? (Harold Lloyd)
Speedy (Harold Lloyd)
Harold Lloyd Talkies (box set)
Inside Llewyn Davis
The New World
The Fisher King
Othello (Orson Welles)
Limelight
The Kid (Chaplin)
A Master Builder
Midnight Cowboy
Odd Man Out
Muholland Drive
Boyhood
Burroughs

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Boyhood

I thought this was more of a "Linklater says he'd like to see it/Other Linklater films have been on Criterion" thing in the same way that Moonrise Kingdom/Grand Budapest Hotel are assumed to become Criterions at some point down the line? Paramount explicitly bought the license for home video and claimed they would not be collaborating with Criterion, after all.

EDIT: The main source for Criterion having Boyhood at some point is from a July 22 Q&A, which really doesn't say that at all:

quote:

Q: The Criterion Collection has worked with you before putting together special editions of your films. Is there a Criterion edition of Boyhood coming in the future and if so, can you talk about some of the special features we might see on the release?

Linklater: Yeah, we’ve got a ton of behind the scenes stuff. We made this in the era where everyone has a digital camera so we unearthed an interview from year one with Ellar, Lorelai, Patricia and myself, Patricia interviewed me in 2002. I hadn’t seen this since we shot it, Ellar had forgotten quite a bit of it but he got to see himself as a wide-eyed six year old. For people who like the movie, I think there will be a lot of cool little treasures.

The only yeah there doesn't exactly say whether it's a "yeah, a Criterion edition is coming in the future" or "yeah, I can talk about some of the special features", though it sounds a lot like the latter, despite the later question

quote:

Q: Have they talked to you about when they want to release it?

Linklater: I don’t know yet but it will be cool.

Which is pretty uncommittal.

That's not to say Boyhood won't make it out on Criterion eventually, but I don't think it's going to come out in the next year or two. Even Moonrise Kingdom, presumably coming out this year, is 3 years after the original Fox DVD release.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 3, 2015

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Just a heads up for the Criterion thread that I'm selling a ton of new/unopened Criterion DVDs & Blu-rays over in SA-Mart if anyone is interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692569

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BCRock posted:

Just a heads up for the Criterion thread that I'm selling a ton of new/unopened Criterion DVDs & Blu-rays over in SA-Mart if anyone is interested.

You raided their closet, didn't you?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BCRock posted:

Holy gently caress, why/how do you have all of those and not opened a single one of them? I'd go crazy sitting on that much cool poo poo and not poring over at least the included essays and junk.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
There are just too many to go through all of them, really. I have a second copy of all of the ones that I'm interested in that I've already opened or will be keeping.

I have like 1500 non-Criterion DVDs that I need to get rid of too at some point. As nice as it is to have them all, I need to free up some shelf space.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Have there been any developments in the reports of disc rot in criterions pressed in 2010? I just got a copy of Walkabout that looks fine, but I just remembered some discussion about that title and some others having quality control issues.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Have there been any developments in the reports of disc rot in criterions pressed in 2010? I just got a copy of Walkabout that looks fine, but I just remembered some discussion about that title and some others having quality control issues.

Email mulvaney@criterion.com for a replacement if it's not playing right.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

The New World
Here's hoping they include both cuts of the film..

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

The Kid (Chaplin)

Chaplin? drat, I was really holding out for Disney's The Kid.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Let's not poo poo-talk Jon Turteltaub, now

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone still has money after Criterion sales, Costco has a few new Criterions in stores for $20 each. While it might vary, I picked up It Happened One Night, La Dolce Vita, The Great Beauty & Tootsie.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Hardly news-news, but http://collider.com/before-sunrise-trilogy-criterion-ethan-hawke/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu upgrades for Renoir's The River, Sullivan's Travels, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle. New releases are Le silence de la mer (Melville) and Ozu crime silents.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#118 - SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (4/14 - BR/DVD)

New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary from 2001 by filmmakers Noah Baumbach, Kenneth Bowser, Christopher Guest, and Michael McKean
Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (1990), a 76-minute documentary made by Bowser for PBS’s American Masters series
New video essay by film critic David Cairns, featuring filmmaker Bill Forsyth
Interview from 2001 with Sandy Sturges, the director’s widow
Interview with Sturges by gossip columnist Hedda Hopper from 1951
Archival audio recordings of Sturges
PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans

#276 - THE RIVER (4/21 - BR/DVD)

High-definition digital transfer from the 2004 Film Foundation restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Archival introduction to the film by director Jean Renoir
Around the River, a 60-minute 2008 documentary by Arnaud Mandagaran about the making of the film
Interview from 2004 with Martin Scorsese
Audio interview from 2000 with producer Ken McEldowney
New visual essay by film writer Paul Ryan, featuring rare behind-the-scenes stills
Trailer
PLUS: An essay by film scholar Ian Christie and original production notes by Renoir

#475 - THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (4/28 - BR upgrade)

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Peter Yates, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Audio commentary featuring Yates
Stills gallery
PLUS: An essay by critic Kent Jones and a 1973 on-set profile of actor Robert Mitchum from Rolling Stone

#754 - ODD MAN OUT (4/14 - BR/2-disc DVD)

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
Postwar Poetry, a new short documentary about the film
New interview with British cinema scholar John Hill
New interview with music scholar Jeff Smith about composer William Alwyn and his score
Home, James, a 1972 documentary featuring actor James Mason revisiting his hometown
Radio adaptation of the film from 1952, starring Mason and Dan O’Herlihy
PLUS: An essay by critic Imogen Sara Smith

#755 - LA SILENCE DE LA MER (4/28 - BR/2-disc DVD)

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
24 Hours in the Life of a Clown (1946), Melville’s seventeen-minute first film
New interview with film scholar Ginette Vincendeau
Interview with Melville from 1959
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

Eclipse Series 42: Silent Ozu—Three Crime Dramas (4/21 - 3-disc DVD)

Walk Cheerfully
That Night's Wife
Dragnet Girl

My take... haven't seen the Ozus, and don't really care. Hatred for The River, perhaps irrational but whatever. Mild on Silence and Coyle. I like Sullivan and OMO, but not enough to buy them. Disappointing month for me.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
At this rate I'm going to stroll through the entirety of 2015 without spending a dime.

e: although if this leads to them re-releasing the other Jean-Pierre Melville films, then fantastic.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 16, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Friends of Eddie Coyle is a must-buy, don't even wait for a sale for me.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Wasn't Satyajit Ray somehow part of the production of The River which inspired him to make his own film? I remember there was some sort of connection between Renoir and and the young Ray.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Drooling for that Friends of Eddie Coyle Blu Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Wasn't Satyajit Ray somehow part of the production of The River which inspired him to make his own film? I remember there was some sort of connection between Renoir and and the young Ray.

Yes. Ray heard that he was in town and went to meet him. Renoir enlisted his help in location scouting, and encouraged him to pursue his idea for adapting Pather Panchali.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Started watching the blu-ray of The Blob and it is a really fun movie. Much bigger budget and more polished than I thought. The blu-ray looks amazing with a lot of pretty noise and really bright colors. Also the music is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHDvzGmmw0

Definitely worth a blind buy if you're on the fence IMHO.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Confession (1970; d. Costa-Gavras)?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh boy, I can't wait for the OJ Simpson box set!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Imagine if it was O.J. Simpson: Juice on the Loose. The one George Romero did in the 70s.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mod sassinator posted:

Started watching the blu-ray of The Blob and it is a really fun movie. Much bigger budget and more polished than I thought. The blu-ray looks amazing with a lot of pretty noise and really bright colors. Also the music is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHDvzGmmw0

Definitely worth a blind buy if you're on the fence IMHO.

The Blob was a favorite of mine growing up.

The 80s remake I remember being pretty good too. It gave nightmares to 12 year old me, at the very least.

If you're enjoying 50s scifi, check out Fiend without a Face, also on Criterion.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've been calling for a Nashville-style ensemble drama about the OJ Simpson case for years. Somebody needs to make this happen.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The Rose - Mark Rydell 5/19
Limelight - Charles Chaplin 5/19
State of Siege - Costa-Gavras 5/26
The Merchant of Four Seasons - Rainer Werner Fassbinder 5/26
The Confession - Costa-Gavras 5/26

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

The Rose - Mark Rydell 5/19
Limelight - Charles Chaplin 5/19
State of Siege - Costa-Gavras 5/26
The Merchant of Four Seasons - Rainer Werner Fassbinder 5/26
The Confession - Costa-Gavras 5/26

All these, plus Make Way For Tomorrow.

The features for Stage of Siege seem slim; maybe they should have boxed that up with The Confession and an upgrade of Z (which they surely are working on)?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 17, 2015

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Is it wrong that I open this thread once a month, don't see the Apu Trilogy and close it in disgust? When will they just release it already?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

zandert33 posted:

Is it wrong that I open this thread once a month, don't see the Apu Trilogy and close it in disgust? When will they just release it already?
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a November release for Christmas.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The restorations of the Apu Trilogy seems to be a huge project, so I'd imagine they want to make sure they're as perfect as possible.

At least they have nearly all other Ray films they have licenses to on Hulu. I really liked The Music Room, so I'm eager to see more of his films (besides the Apu films, what else is highly recommended?)

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I would 100% recommend Charulata and The Big City from the other Rays I've blind-bought.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh god yeah Charulata and The Big City are phenomenal.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Pratidwandi is my poo poo.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Another vote for Charulata.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Criminal Minded posted:

I've been calling for a Nashville-style ensemble drama about the OJ Simpson case for years. Somebody needs to make this happen.

Your wish came true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Crime_Story

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

The restorations of the Apu Trilogy seems to be a huge project, so I'd imagine they want to make sure they're as perfect as possible.

At least they have nearly all other Ray films they have licenses to on Hulu. I really liked The Music Room, so I'm eager to see more of his films (besides the Apu films, what else is highly recommended?)

The Big City is my #2 movie of all time. Charulata is #6. Devi is #72. I also highly recommend the "Calcutta trilogy" (Pratidwandi/The Adversary, Seemabaddha/Company Limited, and Jana Aranya/The Middleman).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
My Beautiful Laundrette seems to be the consensus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!