Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
Given how often people have said I'm either doing a brilliant imitation of being a hopeless newb and am actually scum OR that I'm actually the worst player ever, I actually kinda wish I was scum at this point.

Fact is, I am just that bad.

Now, I realise that is probably a hugely scummy thing to say. I wouldn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Bifauxnen posted:

oh, Splode's been weighing in more as well, not sure if that's from him being scum too or because he seems to join in with a lot of stuff.

Splode, did you actually check how many links matched up to what TOML said was going on?

No, that would have required reading effectively, the entire thread.

It's possible he's misrepresented people in there, and if you can find that post it!

It's not that I'm not suspicious of TOML or beet, it's that out of the three of you, your posting is the most suspicious. With the spotlight on you, you're posting more and it's all very defensive or aggressive against your accuses, and it's coming across as a bit of a panicked self defence. Considering how few votes there are for you (2), it seems like a bit of an over reaction.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Not quite. I was pretty genuinely annoyed then for a while, but this one is way more fun cause I'm town with nothin' left to lose :frogc00l:

Except, you know, the game

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Splode posted:

No, that would have required reading effectively, the entire thread.

Yep, convenient that.

quote:

It's possible he's misrepresented people in there, and if you can find that post it!

I already posted one example. Small Keating didn't look 100% pleased with his presentation either. Guess you didn't find anything suss? I hope you at least checked over your own posts?

quote:

It's not that I'm not suspicious of TOML or beet, it's that out of the three of you, your posting is the most suspicious. With the spotlight on you, you're posting more and it's all very defensive or aggressive against your accuses, and it's coming across as a bit of a panicked self defence. Considering how few votes there are for you (2), it seems like a bit of an over reaction.

Maybe I'm trying to protect BBQ, the precious, precious mostly-absent shitposting scum! :buddy:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Realtalk though, sorry for being obnoxious but if I can't get you guys to actually believe me and vote along on a TOML train, I'd just really like to see what else they want to put on the table and how far they'll got to try and convince you guys to join their cause instead.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Yep, convenient that.

I already posted one example. Small Keating didn't look 100% pleased with his presentation either. Guess you didn't find anything suss? I hope you at least checked over your own posts?

Maybe I'm trying to protect BBQ, the precious, precious mostly-absent shitposting scum! :buddy:

Oh come on, you didn't read every linked post either, did you. I don't think I was unfairly represented, but I didn't cross examine his comments with my posts either.

You're right in that it isn't a good way to dump information, as it's better to quote all of the posts you're examining. Maybe a deliberately hard to read effort post is a novel scum tactic, but it does leave him open to people tearing him apart for misrepresenting people.

anyway, the only reason I said it was a pretty good summary is the portraits he painted of the various posters didn't seem radically different to my own, nothing stood out as unusual. I'm sorry I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb but I'm not the one clutching at straws here.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Bifauxnen (2): Those On My Left, Matthew Beet
Those On My Left (1): Bifauxnen
dj-bbq (1): Tirade, Small Keating, Milky Moor, Milky Moor, Milky Moor, Tirade, Milky Moor
black_tangled (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Matthew Beet (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen

Not Voting (8): black_tangled, dj-bbq, Freudian Slip, Gwynplaine, hiddenmovement, Milky Moor, Splode, Tirade

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 19th, 2015 at 9 p.m. EST -- that's in about 3 hours, 42 minutes.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
About to head home - but if TOML is scum then he has certainly upped the workload compared to the average a scum with that massive effort post. Scum usually wouldn't need to do something this detailed.

Thanks TOML - I will have more than a glance through it when I get back from swimming.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Realtalk though, sorry for being obnoxious but if I can't get you guys to actually believe me and vote along on a TOML train, I'd just really like to see what else they want to put on the table and how far they'll got to try and convince you guys to join their cause instead.

The biggest problem I've had with this battle is that nobody has presented a clear cut list of things people have done to attract all this attention

What I can see is this:

Beet
- Honestly this one looks like bif just OMGUSing. He is defending TOML by attacking bif though. Her main argument is that his only case is against her.
- Seems to be taunting bif a bit, which I haven't seen him do in other games.

TOML
- Wall of text was deliberately hard to read, allowing toml to easily misrepresent people
- TOML has been quiet (according to Bif, I disagree though) and has been doing lots of irrelevant posting (game mechanics, that time where he "helpfully" posted the post counts without comment, day 1 rubbish)

Bif
- By going hard on TOML, bif is defending dj-bbq (though publicly says he is scum)
- Bif is very very defensive, and has swung her vote around between her attackers (beet and toml).
- Bif thinks dj-bbq is scum, but doesn't want to vote for him because he is "useless". I don't understand why she'd be keeping scum alive?

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

My scumdar is totally wack, I led lynches in the last few games (Milky, Kommando) which have been 20 kinds of wrong and gotten me lynched. I think the last time I hit on scum was by accident. Even in this game the person I argued most for was Anidav and we all know how that went down. So yeah, I suck. I thought I'd try an approach of staying in touch with the game with regular posting but this also hasn't worked out.

SO that said, my summary of the last day:

Bifauxnen - Seems to be flipping out (only 2 votes against her) which is a bit too defensive. Earlier got called out on trying to gather more information on roles. But otherwise she, Splode and Beet are the ones keeping play alive when the rest (myself included) are ... not so much. I think she might just be acting out of frustration right now.
black_tangled - not a great player, not leading lynches
dj-bbq - I am trying hard not to just lynch on the basis of reducing the pool of players, because if this night kill rate continues we have to be a lot more careful with lynches.
Freudian Slip - as I said yesterday I believe FS is town, nothing has happened that changes
Gwynplaine- kinda paranoid. Probably town freaking out about how the gently caress to play this game when people just seem to magic up theories and reasoning out of nowhere and you are totally lost and confused but needing to contribute and oh god what do I do.
hiddenmovement - has role claimed. Hasn't posted at all today.
Matthew Beet - playing very high profile if scum. Done a couple big effort posts. Has been making some good points on bif this afternoon.
Milky Moor - probably town
Small Keating - hiding in the shadows here. Managing to escape a lot of the heat that the other low posters are getting on the basis of some pretty minimal effort and sort of gets credibility (in TOML's post) for sticking to his vote for Coq. I guess consistency is better than flip flopping.
Splode - If he is scum he is doing an amazing job. High posting, being quite argumentative, putting himself out there.
Those On My Left - honestly his style feels really different but maybe due to time pressures.
Tirade- probably town based on Milky

At this stage I'm holding off on voting but I'm leaning towards bbq, hidden movement, and of the noisyer players, SK.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Keep in mind, my post is more of a collection of the arguments being thrown around. I personally don't think TOML's wall of text was a scum play, as it's way too much hard work for a scum player. You'd have to carefully analyse your team mates in a fair way but without giving them away, while subtly misrepresenting people. It's a lot of work for little pay off.

Instead, I think it was just a really inefficient effort post.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bif: Yes, I've read up TOML's effort post up to milky then had to fly off to get kids from childcare. Clicked on some of the links but not all. I'll try go back and look closer.. but :

Freudian Slip posted:

About to head home - but if TOML is scum then he has certainly upped the workload compared to the average a scum with that massive effort post. Scum usually wouldn't need to do something this detailed.

Thanks TOML - I will have more than a glance through it when I get back from swimming.

No poo poo. bif accusses toml of being scummy for not effort posting / scum hunting.

Toml effort posts and gets called scummy for doing too much effort.

This is a real thing that his happening right now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Splode posted:

- Bif thinks dj-bbq is scum, but doesn't want to vote for him because he is "useless". I don't understand why she'd be keeping scum alive?

If Beet and TOML (oh, and b_t now, funny how she agrees so much with TOML) agree that BBQ looks like scum I'd happily vote along with lynching him instead and letting them get on with their bus ride.

But I wanted to draw out another threat to get some actual reactions from them for once, and it seems to have worked.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

If Beet and TOML (oh, and b_t now, funny how she agrees so much with TOML) agree that BBQ looks like scum I'd happily vote along with lynching him instead and letting them get on with their bus ride.

But I wanted to draw out another threat to get some actual reactions from them for once, and it seems to have worked.

How is this town behaviour?

"If they lynch who I like i'll leave them alone".

in other words

"No, anyone but me".

What I called your bluff and voted bbq? What if he flips town. What then Einstein?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My bluff? Do you think BBQ is town? Do you want to save him?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

in other words

"No, anyone but me".

What I called your bluff and voted bbq? What if he flips town. What then Einstein?

Also, I'm hardly leaving you alone. You think I'm gonna just drop the case if we get a lynch on BBQ? I think he's scum too, not as useful as you or TOML, but if he's scum and we can get a lynch on scum, let's lynch some scum. I was worried that nothing else would happen and we'd have no clue who he was distracting us from, but now that I got a better idea and made a big stink about it I'd be much happier about getting on with that now.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

*blinks*

reads original post again,

reads bif's reply again

:psyboom:

You're (deliberate?) attempts to misinterpret people's posting is reminding me of those chatbots that just respond to the last sentence with no memory of the conversation as a whole.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

How else am I supposed to interpret "What if he flips town"? Thanks though Splode, keep it coming.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
We've had no one share the results of their nights actions, right? Who wants to be brave?

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

dj-bbq posted:

We've had no one share the results of their nights actions, right? Who wants to be brave?

Eeeek.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Alright this is a farce.

Bif, I have no idea what your position is, you just seem to reply to everyone with "ah HA! gotcha now!"

But it doesn't matter. I don't know who's running the distraction campaign (could be you, could be beet, could be TOML), but it's a distraction.

dj-bbq posted:

Dj-bbq is now asking people to role claim.

##vote dj-bbq

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm only somewhat sure on a couple of posters alignment. BBQ sure isn't one of them. Aside from his post count, what is the actual case on him? Why not Hidden Movement who has only voted once (anidav) has 19 posts and hasn't' even posted today. Why BBQ over Hidden? BBQ and Hidden are probably on equal as far as I'm concerned in being vote worthy.

Now how about you answer the above questions and not try and avoid these ones too:

Matthew Beet posted:

in other words

"No, anyone but me".

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

How else am I supposed to interpret "What if he flips town"? Thanks though Splode, keep it coming.

I don't know maybe you coud answer the actual question i asked and not answer with another question

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

kinda paranoid?! That's a very munificent diagnosis! Thanks.
I hope for everyone's sake that I never end up as a vigilante in one of these games.

But yeah. You're bang on. I want to contribute, or even help. But I am wicked outta my depth. Still having a ball though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

dj-bbq posted:

well this has put you up a notch over hidden. still not quite at bif levels though. :colbert:

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Gwynplaine posted:

kinda paranoid?! That's a very munificent diagnosis! Thanks.
I hope for everyone's sake that I never end up as a vigilante in one of these games.

But yeah. You're bang on. I want to contribute, or even help. But I am wicked outta my depth. Still having a ball though.

I know that feels.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
To start with, apologies for the low post rate, work is busy and has also banned SA which doesn't make for useful posting. I've caught up with TOML's effort post and Beets as well. Actually understanding what the hell it all means is another issue - there's a lot of poo poo to digest. My main thought is that with beet and toml going up against bif, this is the first time we've had two groups actually throwing poo poo at one another rather than two options for group lynching near the end of the day - probably a good thing for scum-hunting as we can deduce that it's either two groups of townies or town vs scum but probably not two lots of scum.

So, toml posted a shitload, but how valuable is it? It really seemed to be a fairly ironclad indictment of bif when I first read it on my phone. But actually, he's taken a lot of liberties interpreting motive that's not drawn out if you look at the actual posts. Bif posts on d1 something that slows the lynch on anidav and that's treated as a scum move, yet others (e.g. me) slow it and it's a point in our favour.

I don't have time to go through and fact check toml's fact checking but there's other points that stick out. For instance, all of toml's points about bif being suss are kind of a stretch. "Bif seems antagonistic" - in a mafia game? A real loving surprise there. He ends up picking beet as town despite him playing the same ineffectual game as bif and adding zero to the team. A good play by throwing SK on the scum list too, without any good arguments for it. I've argued for dj-bbq but now I'm not so sure, given that he's now on toml's poo poo list which I have less and less faith in. I reckon for tonight I'll side with bif, if things somehow don't pan out I'll re-evaluate tomorrow. And dj, you can thank me later.

##vote Those On My Left

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm only somewhat sure on a couple of posters alignment. BBQ sure isn't one of them. Aside from his post count, what is the actual case on him? Why not Hidden Movement who has only voted once (anidav) has 19 posts and hasn't' even posted today. Why BBQ over Hidden? BBQ and Hidden are probably on equal as far as I'm concerned in being vote worthy.

Now how about you answer the above questions and not try and avoid these ones too:

I think it's convenient how you 3 are all picking hiddenmovement out of the silent group and NOT bbq. But onto the questions.

My townie behavior was to avoid just going "yup, since BBQ is the scum let's stop talking now." So I called you guys out and got more and more suss as to how all your casing efforts have been pretty sparse except for looking at me, one of the few noisy people still standing. I honestly do figure BBQ is scum, who assumed he'd be next up for the lynch today and hasn't done much of anything, and so he was going to just get bussed by you guys. So I made some noise before everyone left just went "welp, okay, since BBQ's the scum our work here is done now! Hammertime!"

If BBQ flipped town, I'd be loving annoyed because I did think you or TOML would be better to lynch and I tried, but it couldn't get there. And I'd expect to get lynched the next day instead, hopefully that wouldn't be too late for the others to react to my flip.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Tirade posted:

I don't have time to go through and fact check toml's fact checking but there's other points that stick out. For instance, all of toml's points about bif being suss are kind of a stretch. "Bif seems antagonistic" - in a mafia game? A real loving surprise there. He ends up picking beet as town despite him playing the same ineffectual game as bif and adding zero to the team. A good play by throwing SK on the scum list too, without any good arguments for it. I've argued for dj-bbq but now I'm not so sure, given that he's now on toml's poo poo list which I have less and less faith in. I reckon for tonight I'll side with bif, if things somehow don't pan out I'll re-evaluate tomorrow. And dj, you can thank me later.

##vote Those On My Left

This.

Also, having reviewed Gwynplaine's posting, i'm slightly confident they are town (more so than others). If get the noose tonight, let this be my legacy.

##vote Those On My Left

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, this is a fair bit to digest. Let me ruminate.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

I think it's convenient how you 3 are all picking hiddenmovement out of the silent group and NOT bbq. But onto the questions.

okay i'm at wits end, you're being deliberately obtuse. I compared the two because BBQ has 20 posts and hidden has 19. The opposite works on your bif, why are you ignoring hidden movement?

quote:

My townie behavior was to avoid just going "yup, since BBQ is the scum let's stop talking now." So I called you guys out and got more and more suss as to how all your casing efforts have been pretty sparse except for looking at me, one of the few noisy people still standing. I honestly do figure BBQ is scum, who assumed he'd be next up for the lynch today and hasn't done much of anything, and so he was going to just get bussed by you guys. So I made some noise before everyone left just went "welp, okay, since BBQ's the scum our work here is done now! Hammertime!"

If BBQ flipped town, I'd be loving annoyed because I did think you or TOML would be better to lynch and I tried, but it couldn't get there. And I'd expect to get lynched the next day instead, hopefully that wouldn't be too late for the others to react to my flip.

You called us out yesterday. We answered you when we got time today. You even asked to see my post on you and FS so I did. Now you're not happy it's only on you.

You've ignored what I said earlier when I pointed out you've only started this towards me when I made the point to WFD or whoever it was that if there was ever a vote out of FS or you, you were the scummier of the two. Like clock work you've not stopped since then.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
Beet

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

The set up against toml reminds me too much of the last two lynching we had.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

okay i'm at wits end, you're being deliberately obtuse. I compared the two because BBQ has 20 posts and hidden has 19. The opposite works on your bif, why are you ignoring hidden movement?

You called us out yesterday. We answered you when we got time today. You even asked to see my post on you and FS so I did. Now you're not happy it's only on you.

You've ignored what I said earlier when I pointed out you've only started this towards me when I made the point to WFD or whoever it was that if there was ever a vote out of FS or you, you were the scummier of the two. Like clock work you've not stopped since then.

Partly because hiddenmovement has made a lot of genuinely newbie things, like not realizing he couldn't edit posts, and partly because BBQ has shown that he's NOT just absent, he's around but chooses not to contribute.

As for you, normally I'd be worried about getting into a shitfight with you because you're out there starting stuff just as much as me. But yesterday I started to get worried that you were putting out way too little, just sitting back and taking it easy so you can pick at me instead. If you're a big active town scumhunter, why have you been spared? I can figure why I have, because I've been lost and not making progress, until now. And because you guys were setting me up as the next frame job anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

If you're a big active town scumhunter, why have you been spared?

Lol nice try.

Why has milky been spared? Why have you been spared? Why has toml been spared?

Stop this cult of personality thing we have going in mafia auspol. I had a go at gaspy for it last game and I'll repeat now what I said then:I don't think I'm very good at mafia at all and I've sure as poo poo never said that I am.

Actually, speaking of last game, why was I left to the very end ? The very last game that happened bif, the one where I was town? You should be able to answer that Bif.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

If bif and beet were scum in cahoots this would be a pretty good smokescreen.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gwynplaine posted:

nobody is that good at mafia

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gwynplaine posted:

Not really, because setting each other up so the death of one exonerates the other is a pretty typical scum play.

With how the numbers are stacking up fairly evenly, I'm going to suppose that there are scum involved with the votes as they currently stand, but that it's unlikely for them all to have voted on the same person.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'm heading off to trivia soon, so I won't be posting as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Not really, because setting each other up so the death of one exonerates the other is a pretty typical scum play.

With how the numbers are stacking up fairly evenly, I'm going to suppose that there are scum involved with the votes as they currently stand, but that it's unlikely for them all to have voted on the same person.

Milky. Any chance you can, in the next ten minutes or so, indicate who you're intending to vote for?

• Locked thread