Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Uthor posted:

This and Torque on my Android phone works great.
BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_C8u5ub1NBVD51

What if I didn't have an Android or a IPhone? Would http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Reset-Check-Engine-Scanner/dp/B007OZ2VC4 be a good buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

AmyL posted:

What if I didn't have an Android or a IPhone? Would http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Reset-Check-Engine-Scanner/dp/B007OZ2VC4 be a good buy?

If you perchance have a Windows Phone I've gotten the one linked before to link up to my phone but haven't tested it extensively. I just tried a free version of an app and I didn't have any codes stored at that time, but all the other stuff worked.

edit:
Here's a standalone unit for cheap with 3,000 reviews.
http://smile.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My neighbor has a F150, maybe 5 or 6 years old. He maintains it, he's not a jackass or anything. A month ago, his one wheel sheared off about half the lugs. He got it to the shop, they told him the remaining lugs on that wheel were loose. Now just yesterday, he was driving and his driveshaft broke clean in half. Like right in the middle. The tow truck driver mentioned something about the drive shaft looking like it was sawed partially through. He hasn't heard back from the shop yet on the matter, but he is convinced someone is trying to kill him. I can't imagine who, he is a nice guy who minds his own business and manages a small hardware store. So I haven't heard of driveshafts snapping like that, especially just driving down the road. Is that something that could happen? Is this just a string of bad luck and reasonable mechanical failures?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, if you look at the drive shaft, it should be pretty obvious if it was actually partially sawed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Well, if you look at the drive shaft, it should be pretty obvious if it was actually partially sawed.

Seems like banging around on the ground might make that determination difficult, but at the same time... driveshafts on stock six-year-old trucks just don't fail like that :psyduck:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Getting A pretty loud creak in my 08 civic front suspension when I go over speed bumps or hit the bottom of an incline. Anything I should look at first? The struts seem otherwise fine other than making the noise. It is winter, but I am pretty good about clearin out any compacted snow from the wheel wells.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

When in doubt, check the sway bar. They tend to be the source of suspension noise up front, and they're easy to check, might just need a little grease in the mounting bushings. When they dry out they make noise over bumps.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cool I will take a look this weekend. It's a "REE-UH" sort of noise as the struts compress and release.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check the balljoint, too. If it is dried up (no grease) and/or rusted, ask me how that ends if you ignore it for long enough.

I think those are a different design from the 90s ones so at least the entire weight of the vehicle isn't on the balljoint, but it's bad to let them seize regardless.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A friend of mine was just quoted $1600 for a bad catalytic converter on a 2003 Camry. They said they had to replace both cats. He thought that was insane and found the exact parts for less half what they quoted. Strangely they're letting him bring his own parts and will do the labor. Does this whole situation sound odd? Were they trying to rip him off on parts? I'm not sure he should continue doing business with them, but he's okay with it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If they only have a certain brand in stock, then that's fine.

Also remember, mechanics are a business and need to make a little money.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FogHelmut posted:

A friend of mine was just quoted $1600 for a bad catalytic converter...he found the exact parts for less half what they quoted.

In addition to what was already stated, they could have been trying to sell him OEM or 50-state cats.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

A friend of mine was just quoted $1600 for a bad catalytic converter on a 2003 Camry. They said they had to replace both cats. He thought that was insane and found the exact parts for less half what they quoted. Strangely they're letting him bring his own parts and will do the labor. Does this whole situation sound odd? Were they trying to rip him off on parts? I'm not sure he should continue doing business with them, but he's okay with it.

They'll probably charge him a little more on labor to make up for their cut on parts. Your friend will probably still end up paying less than the original quote. Not sure why this happens, possibly regulations on the sale of cats, maybe your friend just found someone who beat "their guy."

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

If they only have a certain brand in stock, then that's fine.

Also remember, mechanics are a business and need to make a little money.

Geoj posted:

In addition to what was already stated, they could have been trying to sell him OEM or 50-state cats.

This is possible.

Extra posted:

Businesses charging a 100% markup on parts isn't ripping customers off it's part of running a business and paying people reasonable wages. Overhead isn't free especially in the case of a garage. I'm genuinely shocked they're OK with the customer bringing their own parts. If the customer brings in the wrong or a bad part have fun chasing after them about paying for the labor anyway and getting a lovely libelous yelp/google review. Plus if customers keep bringing in their own parts I'm guessing parts suppliers to the business aren't going to be too happy.

Internet continues to gently caress over small business as the company who can get the lowest price from the manufacturer/distributor wins.

If you want to do the work yourself that's fine but don't whine about the cost of poo poo you're too lazy to do yourself and try to hassle a business into doing it cheaper.

The fact that they let him bring his own parts is definitely what surprises me. Are you talking 100% markup over wholesale? Or over parts store? I'm not really concerned with the details of why shops charge what they do (2 hours "book labor" on something that takes 30 minutes in real life), but assuming its the same parts, we are looking at a 200% markup over the internet store. And if not, then it doesn't matter, but 100% over retail is also insane.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hoo boy don't look up what that $800 pair of glasses I sold your mother costs if you think 100% markup is insane. There's a reason 100% markup is called Keystone pricing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Hoo boy don't look up what that $800 pair of glasses I sold your mother costs if you think 100% markup is insane. There's a reason 100% markup is called Keystone pricing.

You're saying the shop goes down to the PepBoys, buys it retail, then doubles the price? I've never seen that. Maybe 20% above what someone would pay retail.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I guarantee that $800 pair of glasses cost me less than $40, sometimes less than $20.

I'm not saying anything specifically, but the price is what the market will bear. If they're pricing things at twice retail, then it must be working for them to have the habit of doing so. Not saying it's right, but it's up to each business owner to decide how they're going to make their profit, and which market to cater to.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It could be that the shop just conviently forgot to remove the core charge for the cats. That would go a long way to explaining the markup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On a similar topic, I talked to an AutoZone regional representative, and he stated the reason for not loaning out the scantools was because it's considered performing repairs without providing an invoice (?) which violates the rules of the bureau of automotive repair. Not sure I 100% buy it but it was a more clear answer than I've ever heard. Someone else can try getting an answer out of the other chains.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just a follow-up issue with my broken sideview mirror (2009 Hyundai Elantra).

This is my current (broken) sideview mirror. Notice the hole for the fastener circled in green.

Here's my aftermarket replacement. It's missing that third hole. :suicide:

Should I return this replacement mirror? Or, is it still usable?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

melon cat posted:

This is my current (broken) sideview mirror. Notice the hole for the fastener circled in green.

What does the hole line up with?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:suicide:

*checks thread title*

hoo boy that sure is a stupid question. I am going to try to be nice here.

You're looking at the back of the mirror. And the other side of the thing it mounts to on the door. Those aren't things you compare. Note that there isn't a big round cutout around the electrical connector in the middle, either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like one of the holes for the plastic triangular trim lugs. It has nothing to do with the mirror, the mirror is only held on by the three 10mm bolts.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.
My mother just bought a 1985 GMC Sierra 4wd pickup. I'm trying to figure out what type of oil filter it takes but I don't know if it's a 6- or 8-cylinder. All I know is it's carbureted. Can anyone help please?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Almost certainly a V8, I can't imagine they stuck a 6 in there during the 80s. Count how many spark plug wires it has.

Edit: Woah, a V6 was available. That must've been a loving dog. Still probably a V8.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Godholio posted:

Almost certainly a V8, I can't imagine they stuck a 6 in there during the 80s. Count how many spark plug wires it has.

Edit: Woah, a V6 was available. That must've been a loving dog. Still probably a V8.

Do all the V8's use the same oil filter?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the only two V8s (that aren't the diesel) listed on Rockauto are both small-blocks and only differ internally. They both use PH5 (or equivalent) oil filters.

I find it strange that the 4.3 didn't use the same filter, even though it's based on the SBC as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the only two V8s (that aren't the diesel) listed on Rockauto are both small-blocks and only differ internally. They both use PH5 (or equivalent) oil filters.

I find it strange that the 4.3 didn't use the same filter, even though it's based on the SBC as well.

They probably figured that while they were saving money cutting down an SBC to make a v6, they might as well save some more money and make it use an oil filter off an iron duke or something.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is the 4.6 also related, or is that the odd man out?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

:suicide:

*checks thread title*

hoo boy that sure is a stupid question. I am going to try to be nice here.

You're looking at the back of the mirror. And the other side of the thing it mounts to on the door. Those aren't things you compare. Note that there isn't a big round cutout around the electrical connector in the middle, either.
No, I think you've got it mixed up. The picture I posted isn't the back of the mirror. I've compared the old and new parts side-by-side, and the aftermarket replacement I got is definitely missing a hole for one of the panel's three fasteners.

Mister Kingdom posted:

What does the hole line up with?
The hole lines up with one of the three plug-style fasteners that are inside of the mirror's panel (which also houses the speaker). It's not pictured in the snapshot I linked, unfortunately. But the aftermarket part is definitely missing a third hole. :suicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do me and everyone else reading this an enormous favour. Remove your broken mirror from your car. Then take a picture of both mirrors side by side with the mating surface facing the camera.

To clarify: the image where you have circled a hole in green is a picture of the door. Not the mirror. The only parts of the mirror on the inside of the door is the connector and the three studs with 10mm nuts on them.

e: the only other possibility I can see here is that the factory mirror has a plastic dowel that slips into that hole and the aftermarket mirror doesn't. In which case: don't worry about it and just put the mirror on the car.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 20, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

melon cat posted:

No, I think you've got it mixed up. The picture I posted isn't the back of the mirror. I've compared the old and new parts side-by-side, and the aftermarket replacement I got is definitely missing a hole for one of the panel's three fasteners.

The hole lines up with one of the three plug-style fasteners that are inside of the mirror's panel (which also houses the speaker). It's not pictured in the snapshot I linked, unfortunately. But the aftermarket part is definitely missing a third hole. :suicide:

Go take it to a shop like I said to in the first place. There is a reason I said that. I do not have it mixed up, I'd put money on it. In fact I noted that you're comparing the back of the mirror to the door, which you said right after saying I was comparing the wrong things. I mean, I've only changed mirrors out on something like a dozen different kinds of cars now, and never took more than 15 minutes to do any of them.

Also, what Slavvy said...

I don't give a poo poo that it's "missing" one of the holes. It literally doesn't matter. So is the factory one, I bet, if you would spend the time to pull it off. You are comparing two parts that don't need to be compared, because you don't understand what's going on and the reason there are two holes in the part is because that part of it is close enough to the door mounting footprint that the plastic clips for the interior panel would interfere, while the top hole misses the mirror assembly entirely because it steps back above it. If you spent another 2 minutes to unbolt the mirror and compare and/or just bolt the new one on and move on with life, you would notice this, instead of wasting our time with another incredibly dull question that shows you don't know what you are doing at all.

I'm sorry dude but I am completely out of patience. I've answered a LOT of your questions in this thread and the previous one. You worry about poo poo like keeping your axle nuts covered, like it matters (hint: it doesn't), and it takes you an hour (even after being told how to do it) to fail to remove a plastic trim piece that it takes most people 30 seconds to pop out. I get that you want to do this, but it might be time to admit to yourself that you have no idea what you are doing and should stick to things you are good at, or just take extra time and pull it apart and spend some time thinking about how the things fit together and why something was designed that way before asking questions. For example, I have absolutely no aptitude for singing or gymnastics, which is why I'm not insistently annoying the good people in the threads on those subjects with pointless questions no one else needs to ask.

Rant over.

Just to drive my point home, I found an original factory OEM part on ebay. Look at the first and third shots in this picture. Note that it is exactly as I said, and exactly like the part you are not putting on because you didn't bother to pull the old one off and compare before asking yet another useless question, then telling me I'm wrong about this. After all, I have no idea what I am talking about and have never done this before.

(click for big)

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

melon cat posted:

Did you try putting it on and seeing if it will work? It would take less time than me typing this post, and I would bet it is fine. That hole corresponds to the area above the raised mounting area with the studs and would not need additional clearance for the trim clips. It is only like 3mm thick plastic there anyway so that would mean no space to make a relief hole without drilling a hole all the way through the part.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:drat:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Go take it to a shop like I said to in the first place. There is a reason I said that. I do not have it mixed up, I'd put money on it. In fact I noted that you're comparing the back of the mirror to the door, which you said right after saying I was comparing the wrong things. I mean, I've only changed mirrors out on something like a dozen different kinds of cars now, and never took more than 15 minutes to do any of them.

Also, what Slavvy said...

I don't give a poo poo that it's "missing" one of the holes. It literally doesn't matter. So is the factory one, I bet, if you would spend the time to pull it off. You are comparing two parts that don't need to be compared, because you don't understand what's going on and the reason there are two holes in the part is because that part of it is close enough to the door mounting footprint that the plastic clips for the interior panel would interfere, while the top hole misses the mirror assembly entirely because it steps back above it. If you spent another 2 minutes to unbolt the mirror and compare and/or just bolt the new one on and move on with life, you would notice this, instead of wasting our time with another incredibly dull question that shows you don't know what you are doing at all.

I'm sorry dude but I am completely out of patience. I've answered a LOT of your questions in this thread and the previous one. You worry about poo poo like keeping your axle nuts covered, like it matters (hint: it doesn't), and it takes you an hour (even after being told how to do it) to fail to remove a plastic trim piece that it takes most people 30 seconds to pop out. I get that you want to do this, but it might be time to admit to yourself that you have no idea what you are doing and should stick to things you are good at, or just take extra time and pull it apart and spend some time thinking about how the things fit together and why something was designed that way before asking questions. For example, I have absolutely no aptitude for singing or gymnastics, which is why I'm not insistently annoying the good people in the threads on those subjects with pointless questions no one else needs to ask.

Rant over.

Just to drive my point home, I found an original factory OEM part on ebay. Look at the first and third shots in this picture. Note that it is exactly as I said, and exactly like the part you are not putting on because you didn't bother to pull the old one off and compare before asking yet another useless question, then telling me I'm wrong about this. After all, I have no idea what I am talking about and have never done this before.

(click for big)

If you can't answer stupid questions without getting mad, then don't.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ozmiander posted:

A) kastein knows more about cars than most of us, telling him not to answer questions is pretty stupid in itself.
B) There's stupid, and then there's stupid. Sorry you don't like it, but the exchange that just happened is nearly literally the "how do I get out of a well guys" exchange so famous here.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, you'd have to be a saint to not get frustrated answering that, I got a bit miffed just reading it.

We know Kastein is no saint, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

I've been answering his questions for literally years without that kind of response. I don't like being told I am wrong by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about when I know I'm right and further, can prove it. My apologies.

You know my response to stupid questions is not normally like this, the most I give people is usually a little ribbing, which is what I expect in turn when I ask a stupid question.

If IOC feels I have said anything amiss, he can probate me. I'm not arguing it further.