Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."
If they're scum I don't think they're trying to throw eachother under a bus. I think they're hoping to lead us to a confused town that votes for no one. No lynching. More night kills.

It seems like an obvious thing to mention, but for people who have been useful and had good theories about multiple people. It seems weird that they haven't been killed. If they're not scum, then we may need to consider anyone they haven't suspected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Those On My Left posted:

Milky. Any chance you can, in the next ten minutes or so, indicate who you're intending to vote for?

I am, in all honesty, leaning towards Bif, although I'm not going to put my vote down just yet. Bif's behaviour reminds me of her scum play, however, part of me can't believe that she's scum again. Of course, if these roles weren't randomly assigned, then Gaspy might've done that to throw people. In the end, it's not something I can prove either way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Gwynplaine posted:

If they're scum I don't think they're trying to throw eachother under a bus. I think they're hoping to lead us to a confused town that votes for no one. No lynching. More night kills.

It seems like an obvious thing to mention, but for people who have been useful and had good theories about multiple people. It seems weird that they haven't been killed. If they're not scum, then we may need to consider anyone they haven't suspected.

It's not weird that they haven't been killed. If they're suspected people who are scum, and get killed, then it becomes another argument against those suspects. Of course, they could be killed to do just the opposite - the whole wine in front of me idea.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Tirade posted:

So, toml posted a shitload, but how valuable is it? It really seemed to be a fairly ironclad indictment of bif when I first read it on my phone. But actually, he's taken a lot of liberties interpreting motive that's not drawn out if you look at the actual posts. Bif posts on d1 something that slows the lynch on anidav and that's treated as a scum move, yet others (e.g. me) slow it and it's a point in our favour.
I just want to point out that this is, in fact, mafia, and I am a player in it, and so you were never ever going to get from me (or from anyone, really) an objective historian archivist summary of posts. A large part of this game is gut feeling, and interpreting other people's posts. So, uh, yeah, I'm not some perfect objective observer with a view from nowhere, and my post is laced with my own interpretation of things. It can't really ever be otherwise.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Gwynplaine posted:

I'm too dumb to know what to actually look for. But barbecue is too quiet. Now I realise they're known for this but they keep on springing up only when directly challenged and offering little in the way of insight or scumhunting.

I'm not offering much either, but bbq's meant to be an experienced player.

For all I know they're a roleblocker and just quiet and stoic and good at their job.

I'm just not sure what else to go with.

I don't know why, but this sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
I have to say I was initially surprised that Bif wanted to pull attention away from the DJ-BBQ bandwagon and onto The Hunt for the Red Octobeet, a longer bow to draw overall and especially when she acknowledged BBQ is probably scum (his posting history is rat poo poo and a mirror image of Cumburgs). He may be a relative newbie, but scum is scum as someone back there helpfully pointed out and he was the best outright lead we had at the time.

However, I will admit that the resultant shitfight has brought up some interesting data in the form of effort posts and analysis both for and against TOML and Beet; I agree with Beet that the cult of personality should be stopped in its tracks and all avenues investigated, but in saying that I have now considered those avenues and now can't escape the feeling that in arguing for TOML or Beet or BT as scum, Bif is actually presenting as pretty scummy herself and as a veteran player is a more important scalp than BBQ.

The irony.

##unvote

##vote Bifauxnen

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Alright. gently caress this, let's dance.

I WILL CRUSH BIFAUXNEN WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

It's not weird that they haven't been killed. If they're suspected people who are scum, and get killed, then it becomes another argument against those suspects..

I think they've been suspicious of enough people that they're death wouldn't mark any one person.

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know why, but this sticks out to me like a sore thumb.

In what way?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Matthew Beet posted:

Lol nice try.

Why has milky been spared? Why have you been spared? Why has toml been spared?

Stop this cult of personality thing we have going in mafia auspol. I had a go at gaspy for it last game and I'll repeat now what I said then:I don't think I'm very good at mafia at all and I've sure as poo poo never said that I am.

Actually, speaking of last game, why was I left to the very end ? The very last game that happened bif, the one where I was town? You should be able to answer that Bif.

Well hey guess what, I make dumb mistakes too, I was certainly making em the last two days. That's why I backed off on the FS thing, because my brain felt fried and the input I was getting looked like I was just totally on the wrong track. I also brought up my much more specific reasons for looking at TOML earlier. We know now that scum wouldn't care who out of Anidav or Coq got lynched at all. So TOML got to look all like he was really tortured about it and switching off Anidav after the hammer. You and him were both jumping around till the last minute which was a very risky play of a no-lynch, but not to scum who would've been happy with all 3 results.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

Alright. gently caress this, let's dance.

I WILL CRUSH BIFAUXNEN WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Awesome, thanks for getting into it, this is gonna be so fun. :buddy:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Awesome, thanks for getting into it, this is gonna be so fun. :buddy:

Eating dinner now, can't wait to come back and see y'all's reactions.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, I've locking in on Bif. I'm also suspicious of DJ-BBQ and Gwyn. Something about TOML seems off but I can't quite figure out what it is - mainly, I'm not throwing out the idea of weird scum plays given the sheer amount of casualties the town has suffered over the past few nights. I think, at this point, the scum can afford to be a bit theatrical.

If we have any more investigators, I hope they're clearing people. If we have any Doctors left, I hope they're protecting the right people.

Given the sheer number of town deaths at night, I'm not going to discount the idea of two sets of scum either. There's too many deaths otherwise and I doubt the scum would blow their one-shot powers on the first couple of nights, or have the ability to kill multiple people on each night in general.

##vote Bifauxnen

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
An arena is constructed out of scattered debris outside the command centre.

Bifauxnen "... when did you have time to make this....?"

Those On My Left: "SILENCE! One shall stand, one shall fall!"

And the two face off in Gladiatorial Combat!!

For the rest of the day:

-You may only vote for Those On My Left or Bifauxnen
- Hammer ends the day as per usual
- If hammer is not reached, the player with the majority of votes at the end of the day is lynched.

NOW, BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Uh, what just happened to votefinder?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh, you mean that's acutally an ability?! That's hilarious.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

oh my loving god

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

We call it Thunderdome. :shrug:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

*gets in a sucker punch while TOML's still eating dinner*

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Brilliant.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm just going to say I'm pretty sure TOML is town now but if this doesn't work, it's going to look really bad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Also, looking at Votefinder, you all need to cast your votes again.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yes, this has me slightly worried, I'm not familiar with this role but it appears it's likely for either alignment. It would naturally have to be, or you could just easily vote for/against the gladiator from knowing which side tends to have the role in the first place.

If TOML is town I think it was a bad move to lock me in with him when we could've agreed on BBQ. Welp, guess we'll find out.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Asphyxious posted:

NOW, BATTLE TO THE DEATH!!

:suspense:

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

You are so lucky bbq

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gaspy, I'd appreciate an urgent answer to my question as it may greatly affect my next choice of combat move. :getin:

black_tangled
Aug 2, 2004

Going to dinner now.

Bif, I'm afraid has been too random, defensive, called out for more information from town players, and her arguments have been dismantled by better players than myself. I think TOML has been more consistent and level headed.

##vote Bifauxnen

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
I stick by what I said before.

##vote Bifauxnen

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
gently caress, this screws my cunning plan. I'll repost it anyway, 2 secs.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Keep in mind that I was going to let this run until 8:30ish then post, but here goes.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
If my bigger post earlier sucked it's because I didn't have much time to write it and wanted to put in a not very subtle message in it. I was planning to effort post on bif being scum once I got home this arvo but both toml and beet got in first. I figured, rather than waste the rest of the evening, let's see if we can't get an alternative option for some scum to come join in on?

So I wrote this horrible and not very convincing post that hopefully hasn't caught out anyone thinking critically about this game, but contained a SUPER SEKRET CODE so I can absolve myself of its horrible logic later on (first letter of second word in sentence):

quote:

To start with, apologies for the low post rate, work is busy and has also banned SA which doesn't make for useful posting. I've caught up with TOML's effort post and Beets as well. Actually understanding what the hell it all means is another issue - there's a lot of poo poo to digest. My main thought is that with beet and toml going up against bif, this is the first time we've had two groups actually throwing poo poo at one another rather than two options for group lynching near the end of the day - probably a good thing for scum-hunting as we can deduce that it's either two groups of townies or town vs scum but probably not two lots of scum.

So, toml posted a shitload, but how valuable is it? It really seemed to be a fairly ironclad indictment of bif when I first read it on my phone. But actually, he's taken a lot of liberties interpreting motive that's not drawn out if you look at the actual posts. Bif posts on d1 something that slows the lynch on anidav and that's treated as a scum move, yet others (e.g. me) slow it and it's a point in our favour.

I don't have time to go through and fact check toml's fact checking but there's other points that stick out. For instance, all of toml's points about bif being suss are kind of a stretch. "Bif seems antagonistic" - in a mafia game? A real loving surprise there. He ends up picking beet as town despite him playing the same ineffectual game as bif and adding zero to the team. A good play by throwing SK on the scum list too, without any good arguments for it. I've argued for dj-bbq but now I'm not so sure, given that he's now on toml's poo poo list which I have less and less faith in. I reckon for tonight I'll side with bif, if things somehow don't pan out I'll re-evaluate tomorrow. And dj, you can thank me later.

##vote Those On My Left

i.e. scum trap disregard

Bif you can get knotted, scum.

##unvote

##vote Bifauxnen

Hopefully most if not all the people who have joined the TOML wagon can be put in the scum camp.

A few other points that go against bif.
1) The "scum but useless scum" has always and continues to be a really dumb argument.
2) TOML was dead on in that in the last game bif reacted almost exactly the same way when gaspy effortposted against her.

TOML I've got a few suggested changes to your scum / town list but I reckon it's about 80% there.

Least scum: Milky Moor, TOML, Beet, probably Splode, probably FS
Most scum: bif, gwynplaine, probably SK, probably dj-bbq.
Unsure: black_tangled, hiddenmovement

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

This whole situation.

##vote Those On My Left

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dammit Gaspy, where'd you go. :mad:

TOML, when you get back, since this is a done deal one way or the other now for us (probably me), just answer me, if everything about your case on me was wrong, and I flipped town, where would you look next?

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

Votefinder is a bit hosed. I am going to try again and see if it registers my vote.

##unvote

##vote Bifauxnen

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Tirade posted:

Least scum: Milky Moor, TOML, Beet, probably Splode, probably FS
Most scum: bif, gwynplaine, probably SK, probably dj-bbq.
Unsure: black_tangled, hiddenmovement

Suspecting me of scum at this point can't help your credibility.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Actually, I should put that question to everyone. If TOML's case on me was totally wrong and I flipped town, where would you look next? Would you think TOML is next to go and that he's taken advantage of this to get me for sure instead of BBQ? Or that he made an honest mistake, and I got myself in this mess cause I should've been looking elsewhere? Or something totally different because I'm waaay off track?

Your votes right now are easy to decide, locked in either/or. So keep scumhunting for the next stage. It may end up being quite useful in the near future.

...maybe. GASPY! :mad:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hahahahaha

##vote Bifauxnen

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh yeah, gotta recast my vote too, whoops

##vote Those On My Left

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Votefinder seems to be borked but I think I count 5 votes on me now. The townies amongst you might wanna wait till I can get some rules clarification.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

If my bigger post earlier sucked it's because I didn't have much t[/btime to write it and wanted to put in a not very subtle message in it. I was planning to effort post on bif being scum once I got home this arvo but both toml and beet got in first. I figured, rather than waste the rest of the evening, let's see if we can't get an alternative option for some scum to come join in on?

So I wrote this horrible and not very convincing post that hopefully hasn't caught out anyone thinking critically about this game, but contained a SUPER SEKRET CODE so I can absolve myself of its horrible logic later on (first letter of second word in sentence):

[b]b

Check my secret message :smugndar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gently caress bb code on the phone.

It was meant to spell out that's dumb.

Now it's I who are am dumb.

• Locked thread