Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
They've had a lot of success with their game downloads recently, so it's a pricing experiment as much as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know the original Revelations had this model in japan. It's a shame, too, because I would have liked that game a lot more if it was just uninterrupted exploration of the boat, RE1 style, instead of constantly stopping for chapter breaks/cutaways to other characters with their own inventories and bigger guns.

I mean obviously a lot of that was to accommodate their version of Mercenaries, which is really fun, but still.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I only recently got around to playing Revelations and it was pretty fun but it was after I finished Remake so the whole time I just kept thinking how great a setting that ship would have been for classic style RE game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I only recently got around to playing Revelations and it was pretty fun but it was after I finished Remake so the whole time I just kept thinking how great a setting that ship would have been for classic style RE game.

Exactly. :(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I know the original Revelations had this model in japan.

No, it didn't. The episodic plot structure was a nod to a specific kind of Japanese drama, but it was always a traditional disc/cartridge release.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

No, it didn't. The episodic plot structure was a nod to a specific kind of Japanese drama, but it was always a traditional disc/cartridge release.

Oh.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've played just about every RE game but only ever beaten RE1 and RE4 but for some reason I'm quite looking forward to Revelations 2.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've taken leave of my senses and am also looking forward to Revelations 2.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm hyped as poo poo for Rev 2 because Barry and Claire and a creepy prison island AGAIN and man oh man

I even bought the $40 version like a chump.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Wanderer posted:

Edit: I lied. There's a new Japanese trailer.

One of the producers said in the Game Informer cover story of Rev 2 that the British woman on the PA system in the gameplay footage is another character from past games, and is one that you'd have to be pretty hardcore to recognize. Somehow a big chunk of the fans have decided it must be Alexia, back for another go.

I'm guessing it's one of the Wesker children, personally, or the "Jenny K" who's mentioned in a file in RE5 as the only person who managed to escape Spencer's assassination squads.
That "one final test" line and blond hair makes me think of Annette Birkin, unless thats some reference to an earlier game I'm not aware of. Death has not been a significant barrier to characters before!

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Relin posted:

That "one final test" line and blond hair makes me think of Annette Birkin, unless thats some reference to an earlier game I'm not aware of. Death has not been a significant barrier to characters before!

Hedging my bets on Alex Wesker, especially after the shot of the finger perusing the photo of Albert Wesker. Her being holed up on an island doing research fits with the file found in Lost in Nightmares.

Also adopting a slight accent seems to be a Wesker thing to do.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Steam achievements for RE 5 reference the DLC that only the consoles got so I guess Capcom wisely and upgrading everyone to the Gold version of RE 5 when the Steamworks patch hits. As for the mysterious woman in Revelations 2, the whole setup for the game reminds me pretty heavily of Code Veronica. Claire waking up on a prison island, Barry arriving hours later to rescue family, the twisted game that one of the human inhabitants of the island seems to be playing with them. So my bets are on Veronica Ashford somehow still being alive while the guy in the photo is Alex Wesker.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

Hedging my bets on Alex Wesker, especially after the shot of the finger perusing the photo of Albert Wesker. Her being holed up on an island doing research fits with the file found in Lost in Nightmares.

Same here. Although, the hair does remind me of Alexia. Maybe they're just the same character and no one knew?? She was a clone right? Or Umbrella had the opportunity to clone her... Who knows, my brain can't handle this poo poo anymore.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

I thought Alex Wesker was a man? Now I really hope it's him/her.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Alexia Wesker. The plot thickens.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Alexia Wesker. The plot thickens.

That's what I'm saying!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

A lot of fans had latched onto the idea that Alex Wesker could be a woman a couple of years ago, since he/she is never referred to with a gendered pronoun in the files in RE5 that mention his/her existence. I think it had something to do with speculation about RE6. One of the producers ended up shooting them down, but there's nothing that says they couldn't have changed their minds about it, since Alex hasn't shown up at all since then.

Then again, there are 13 names given in "Lost in Nightmares" that are at least suggested to be surviving members of the Wesker Project, and three names on it are women. It could just as easily be Laura or Felicia Wesker.

If I was going to put money down on it being Alexia in RE:R2, I'd be more inclined to guess that she survived the explosion in CV somehow. Off the top of my head, the way she arrives on the platform where you fight her at the end of the game made it look a lot like she spawned a new body rather than actually traveling there (IIRC, she just drops out of a tentacle), so they'd be well within their rights to claim that the "real" Alexia bailed while she had the chance.

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011

Wanderer posted:

If I was going to put money down on it being Alexia in RE:R2, I'd be more inclined to guess that she survived the explosion in CV somehow. Off the top of my head, the way she arrives on the platform where you fight her at the end of the game made it look a lot like she spawned a new body rather than actually traveling there (IIRC, she just drops out of a tentacle), so they'd be well within their rights to claim that the "real" Alexia bailed while she had the chance.

She seems to poo poo out some sort of blank clone that reforms itself into her during that fight and it never speaks a word (though given her track record of actual lines versus mad laughter that's probably a good thing) so it's less of an asspull to say that wasn't the real Alexia than Wesker's revival. Which became completely unnecessary since REmake gave him a decent option for survival without regenerating from massive trauma to the heart and lungs within 5 mins of a self-destruct sequence just as planned.

:shrug: Resident Evil.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Still waiting for Wesker to just Kool-Aid man his way out of the lava, tbh

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I kinda wish I could play Code Veronica before Revelations 2, since it seems more likely that the two games are related, now.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
What about Jessica? Seems like the obvious answer to me, what with the hanging plot thread at the end of RE:R.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

It had better loving not be

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hell, it could be Rachel. That lady Gina who dies five minutes into the game has the same last name, and Rachel never actually dies.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The devs have been saying that nothing from the first Revelations game ties into this one, so.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Doesn't sound like the same woman who shouts "Me and my sweet rear end are on the way!" while her partner is being mauled by wolves.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

Hell, it could be Rachel. That lady Gina who dies five minutes into the game has the same last name, and Rachel never actually dies.

Whoa, what? Are you talking about the first or second game here, because if it's the first I definitely missed something. I killed Rachel every time I saw her, but I guess they didn't give her some kind of funerary rocket death FMV thing, so I suppose she could still be poking around, although the whole ship exploded so that seems unlikely.

Golden Goat posted:

Doesn't sound like the same woman who shouts "Me and my sweet rear end are on the way!" while her partner is being mauled by wolves.

I really enjoyed Revelations since it brought the gameplay back closer to what I was looking for, but the way it handled female characters was loving atrocious. I get what they were trying to do with her, but between that and her diving suit, all I could think was "What the gently caress, Capcom?"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just finished Chris' campaign in RE6 and ended up enjoying it quite a lot! The enemy encounters in chapter 4 were pretty intense and fun, and the final chapter challenging enough to make me waste all my ammo and ending up defeating the last boss with the knife. I enjoyed the story better than Leon's as well - Chris actually almost had some kind of character arch! Piers sacrificing himself by injecting the virus was both bad-rear end and actually pretty sad. Even if the whole thing was really campy I ended up caring a bit for both characters, since the writers actually tried. Anyway, the last couple chapters had just the right mix of seriousness and campy bromance, and I'm feeling better going into Jake & Sherry's chapter. Halfway through the game now!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nails posted:

Whoa, what? Are you talking about the first or second game here, because if it's the first I definitely missed something. I killed Rachel every time I saw her, but I guess they didn't give her some kind of funerary rocket death FMV thing, so I suppose she could still be poking around, although the whole ship exploded so that seems unlikely.

The last time Rachael shows up in the first Revelations is if you visit an area you don't technically have to during Episode 10, when you're going up to the bridge as Parker. They never do anything that would suggest her permanent death, and then the ship sinks. Rachael's still in play.

Nails posted:

I really enjoyed Revelations since it brought the gameplay back closer to what I was looking for, but the way it handled female characters was loving atrocious. I get what they were trying to do with her, but between that and her diving suit, all I could think was "What the gently caress, Capcom?"

I've seen worse, honestly. Jill gets her fairest shake she's ever had in Revelations, since she's more competent than anyone else in the game; Jessica's acting ditzy because she's the double agent, and Rachael is pretty bad but everything about her is in the service of making her into a creepier boss fight.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

The last time Rachael shows up in the first Revelations is if you visit an area you don't technically have to during Episode 10, when you're going up to the bridge as Parker. They never do anything that would suggest her permanent death, and then the ship sinks. Rachael's still in play.

Maybe, but it wouldn't make much sense, honestly. I mean, you put her down several times, and as far as I remember, there's nothing special about her infection. It's just a standard T-Abyss thing, and while she's pretty persistent, she doesn't seem to have much sentience left. If anything, I think we're to presume her death is permanent because the ship exploded after the last time she got put down, and then sunk. There's not really any plot threads left necessitating her survival, and she wouldn't be able to hide in plain sight like Wesker could. I'll be pretty surprised if she ever shows up again.

Wanderer posted:

I've seen worse, honestly. Jill gets her fairest shake she's ever had in Revelations, since she's more competent than anyone else in the game; Jessica's acting ditzy because she's the double agent, and Rachael is pretty bad but everything about her is in the service of making her into a creepier boss fight.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. Jill says some pretty dumb stuff in parts, but like you said, she's pretty much the most compentent person on the team. I didn't have too many problems with Racheal, but Jessica's character mostly came off as awkward pandering nerd service. If they did indeed say the first game won't relate at all to the second one, I guess it doesn't really matter, because none of them will show up in the next one. I think it would also be weird for Alexia to be the big villain in the new one. That said, I never finished Code Veronica or even got far enough into the game to ever see her, so I have no idea how they wrapped that story up.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nails posted:

Maybe, but it wouldn't make much sense, honestly. I mean, you put her down several times, and as far as I remember, there's nothing special about her infection. It's just a standard T-Abyss thing, and while she's pretty persistent, she doesn't seem to have much sentience left. If anything, I think we're to presume her death is permanent because the ship exploded after the last time she got put down, and then sunk. There's not really any plot threads left necessitating her survival, and she wouldn't be able to hide in plain sight like Wesker could. I'll be pretty surprised if she ever shows up again.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair. Jill says some pretty dumb stuff in parts, but like you said, she's pretty much the most compentent person on the team. I didn't have too many problems with Racheal, but Jessica's character mostly came off as awkward pandering nerd service. If they did indeed say the first game won't relate at all to the second one, I guess it doesn't really matter, because none of them will show up in the next one. I think it would also be weird for Alexia to be the big villain in the new one. That said, I never finished Code Veronica or even got far enough into the game to ever see her, so I have no idea how they wrapped that story up.

She got blown to pieces by a high powered energy rifle and then incinerated when the base exploded. It won't be Alexia. It could be another Ashford though.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Wanderer posted:

She might still be in play, but she was caught in a sinking ship and presumably isn't all that intelligent anymore. I figure she'll be Lisa Trevor'd and the last we'll see of her is an annoying and difficult boss-fight in a side-game, if we're lucky.

(also at least in my copy of the game, Rachael's triggering is odd. The part you mentioned can oddly enough be triggered by Jill a chapter previously I believe, which sucks because the guide I was following didn't mention that and suddenly I have an angry Rachael kicking my rear end because I took a different route than I was supposed to. EDIT: I think she even gets dialogue for it, so it's not just a bugged copy or something.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She got blown to pieces by a high powered energy rifle and then incinerated when the base exploded. It won't be Alexia. It could be another Ashford though.

Watch it be Veronica Ashford now that the Plagas existing sets a precedent for historical mutants and "zombies."

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Nails posted:

"What the gently caress? Capcom."

There ya go

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nails posted:

Eh, it's a brand-new virus and Rachael's about six times more durable and persistent than anything else on the ship for some reason, plus she's one of only two infectees in the game that can still talk afterward. Capcom may not get around to its dropped plot threads quickly or directly, but since RE6 picked up on dropped threads that were 14 years old, I'm not comfortable saying "never."

If Capcom's said they aren't referencing anything from the first game in Revelations 2, then fine, that's fair, but I thought it was weird they'd reuse the name "Foley" twice in rapid succession unless there was meant to be a link.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Wanderer posted:

Eh, it's a brand-new virus and Rachael's about six times more durable and persistent than anything else on the ship for some reason, plus she's one of only two infectees in the game that can still talk afterward. Capcom may not get around to its dropped plot threads quickly or directly, but since RE6 picked up on dropped threads that were 14 years old, I'm not comfortable saying "never."

If Capcom's said they aren't referencing anything from the first game in Revelations 2, then fine, that's fair, but I thought it was weird they'd reuse the name "Foley" twice in rapid succession unless there was meant to be a link.

I can't imagine why they would call it Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and not have something linking back to the first game, but then again it's Capcom. All I remember hearing was that it was potentially an antagonist from an older game or a side-story, so maybe it's someone from Resident Evil Gaiden or Dead Aim or something? By the time the game drops and we start playing it, once we find out who it is we're probably all going to be like "WELP" and it'll have been someone impossible to guess. Or someone that makes no sense.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Nails posted:

I can't imagine why they would call it Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and not have something linking back to the first game, but then again it's Capcom. All I remember hearing was that it was potentially an antagonist from an older game or a side-story, so maybe it's someone from Resident Evil Gaiden or Dead Aim or something? By the time the game drops and we start playing it, once we find out who it is we're probably all going to be like "WELP" and it'll have been someone impossible to guess. Or someone that makes no sense.

The long-awaited return of Rebecca Chambers, who was behind everything the whole time.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Nails posted:

Nicholai's back?

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Apparently there was a DVD released with Revelations in Japan that had Jessica delivering a report to Excella Gionne. We don't really know the exact time period that Revelations 2 takes place, so maybe it's another Gionne or even Excella if it takes place before her death. All we really know about the antagonist so far is that she looks human (based on some screen shots of the back of her head I guess?) and that she knew Wesker at some point. It also sounds just stupid enough to be possible.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Jake's campaign in RE6 was pretty entertaining but the avalanche and bike sections were pure bullshit. The bike section a little less so once I learned to use the breaks more often. It seems like the campaign would be a nightmare in coop. The final boss fight was pretty fun but REALLY easy, especially compared to Chris'.

EDIT: It's not like they were impossible - it took maybe 5 or 6 retries to beat the avalanche section - but it's just really badly designed. It beats even the bike section in the first Bayonetta in terms of shoddy racing sections.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nails posted:

Apparently there was a DVD released with Revelations in Japan that had Jessica delivering a report to Excella Gionne. We don't really know the exact time period that Revelations 2 takes place, so maybe it's another Gionne or even Excella if it takes place before her death. All we really know about the antagonist so far is that she looks human (based on some screen shots of the back of her head I guess?) and that she knew Wesker at some point. It also sounds just stupid enough to be possible.

Revelations 2 is in 2011, so Excella's been dead for two years.

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: It's not like they were impossible - it took maybe 5 or 6 retries to beat the avalanche section - but it's just really badly designed. It beats even the bike section in the first Bayonetta in terms of shoddy racing sections.

It used to be even worse, if you can believe that. The snowmobile section took me a good 20 tries in the launch version of the game.