Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My greatest fear is that the ms big data system will become sentient, and its only frame of reference for developing a personality will be endless xbox live chat streams.

Skynet talks like a 14yo with aspergers and is a mysoginist and a racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

All of the terminators have designations consisting of combinations of 69, 420, and 666.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My greatest fear is that the ms big data system will become sentient, and its only frame of reference for developing a personality will be endless xbox live chat streams.

Skynet talks like a 14yo with aspergers and is a mysoginist and a racist.

Connecting via XBox Live? That's a CAL-dlin'.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We've come a long way since Furbys

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
So I am in telecom, and the space I am in is moving towards the cloud. Most of the big companies are trying to get into the cloud space and become SaaS companies instead of hardware/software providers. Seeing this, I think that I need to get more focused on the cloud. What studying/certs do people recommend? I have access to CBT Nuggets, and am thinking about the VMWare stuff, and there is a chance my company will pay for a VMWare certified course, so that could be a start. If I wanted at some point to be more about the cloud instead of the crappy software I support, what am I missing? Storage? Networking?

*This post specifically made to be funnier to cloud/butt users.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

So I am in telecom, and the space I am in is moving towards the cloud. Most of the big companies are trying to get into the cloud space and become SaaS companies instead of hardware/software providers. Seeing this, I think that I need to get more focused on the cloud. What studying/certs do people recommend? I have access to CBT Nuggets, and am thinking about the VMWare stuff, and there is a chance my company will pay for a VMWare certified course, so that could be a start. If I wanted at some point to be more about the cloud instead of the crappy software I support, what am I missing? Storage? Networking?

*This post specifically made to be funnier to cloud/butt users.
VMware's a good start for getting your feet wet in virtualization. Competently administering VMware means you'll be touching a number of different technologies, including lots of storage and networking. However, VMware is not "the cloud." They're rapidly becoming irrelevant as parent company EMC shifts their weight behind Cloud Foundry, Pivotal's platform-as-a-service offering, instead.

"The cloud" means public cloud. Private cloud is almost irrelevant. Learn Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure and the application patterns that are successful on either of these platforms. This means becoming cross-disciplinary in every aspect of the software lifecycle.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well, EMC screwed the pooch here in Portugal. Our biggest ISP, Portugal Telecom, had a service done by EMC. Replacing one of 2 controllers, the malfunctioning one. Weeellll, the technician kind of pulled out the wrong one. Cue panic as some of the biggest hosting clients lost all their connectivity for 40+ hours (including the biggest ticket selling website in Portugal and the most visited newspaper website). Turns out something went wrong when bringing it back online and they had to escalate to EMC US. Turns out sometimes (always) Disaster Recovery is worth it if you can pay for it.

gently caress, Portugal Telecom is a bad company (unrelated, just ranting here). It's the Portuguese Microsoft when it comes to middle management. Couple that with nepotism due to the State having had a golden share for a lot of years and you have the perfectly hosed up company. And now, we're selling it to the french.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

VMware [...] They're rapidly becoming irrelevant

Wait, what? Really? And yeah, I did read all of the rest of your post; I've just never picked up any hint of that at my position (which just occasionally requires tinkering with our vSphere). That's kind of a bummer to hear.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Misogynist posted:

VMware's a good start for getting your feet wet in virtualization. Competently administering VMware means you'll be touching a number of different technologies, including lots of storage and networking. However, VMware is not "the cloud." They're rapidly becoming irrelevant as parent company EMC shifts their weight behind Cloud Foundry, Pivotal's platform-as-a-service offering, instead.

"The cloud" means public cloud. Private cloud is almost irrelevant. Learn Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure and the application patterns that are successful on either of these platforms. This means becoming cross-disciplinary in every aspect of the software lifecycle.

When you say "private cloud" are you referring to On-Prem servers? How do you feel about health of future of hybrid clouds?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

When you say "private cloud" are you referring to On-Prem servers? How do you feel about health of future of hybrid clouds?

Private cloud is an on-prem cloud, but it could be two on prem data centers linked. See for example Azure Pack (not Azure, Azure Pack). It brings elasticity and self service to your Data Center, if you wish to have those.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'll give it to you: Public clouds will be used a lot by startups and companies/individuals like that but the big companies who can afford the CAPEX for on prem solutions will always prefer that. The thing is, people might start using public clouds a lot because it's cheaper, but sooner or later there'll be a huge hack on Microsoft/Amazon's public cloud servers and we can all foresee what that will bring.

That's why I think that Hybrid Cloud has it's space. Hybrid Clouds will be used, but carefully. You can use online storage for backups, DRaaS, something like that, but you try to limit as much as possible having everything outside your company. That's just my 2 cents though.

Also, SaaS. I think that's going to be huge. IaaS, not for the big boys, they'll still spend a lot of money on equipment.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Goddamn that Lenovo debacle.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My coworkers called me crazy when I told them they'd rue the day they didn't build a fresh-format image for our lenovo laptops.

Suck on it fuckers :boom:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I'm not sure I agree that private clouds are irrelevant. There are an awful lot of enterprises with ERP architectures that won't or can't move everything into a public cloud. For example my current client is an ivy league college and while they are trying to move as much as they can into AWS, they will never get all of their data sources migrated off of their current on-premises systems and can hope for a hybrid cloud at best. There are as well a great many such enterprises with private clouds who will not even attempt the move to public offerings due to lingering fears about public cloud intrusions. I think it may be premature to call time of death for the private cloud vendors. The market segment probably won't grow that much but VMWare would not be the first relic to stick around well past its prime.

Having built a VMWare private cloud though I would not jump at the chance again. Between the various cloud implementations and the industry dialogue about DevOps we're in a sort of IT development singularity that I don't see settling down in 2015 at least, and lots of cool things are coming of it. I know I'd rather be focusing on that side of things, but I also know guys who are VMWare storage experts who love polishing the same skillset to increasingly impressive levels. I guess what I'm saying is you can pick your poison this year.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
All very interesting. I do business phone system support, and the trend for larger systems is virtualization. This is in part because everyone is doing it, and also because most of the big players don't want to be in the hardware game any more. What this means is that there are private cloud type offerings for large customers, which include either a complete hardware system with storage, network, server, etc, or a CD that installs everything needed on their existing infrastructure. For smaller customers, hosted solutions are becoming a thing, with IP phones on site, and everything else managed remotely.

My concern is that when I look for jobs, most of the time when I see 'admin the phone switch' requirements, those are secondary to windows admin, network admin and other main functions. I think this will get worse in the future, especially if this is just going to be another program running in the data center. I need to either specialize in some more specific functions (call routing, call center, IVR), or get more into the infrastructure side.

Very interesting that I have barely heard of AWS, but there are certs and training for it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Private Clouds are useful, hybrid clouds are useful, public clouds are useful.

Depends on the implementation, but they all have their applications.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For us, our client contracts forbid us from using public cloud infrastructure (much to my annoyance as scaling would be so much easier.)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Wait, what? Really? And yeah, I did read all of the rest of your post; I've just never picked up any hint of that at my position (which just occasionally requires tinkering with our vSphere). That's kind of a bummer to hear.

I'm a bit less bullish on cloud (in the AWS sense of the word) than Misogynist. In startup land it's certainly the hot poo poo and growing like gangbusters. But there is still a loooooooooooooooot of legacy stuff out there, billions and billions of dollars worth, that will never ever ever be ported to the cloud. That is where VMware makes its fortune and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. With all the "pets" that are not suitable for running as disposable, stateless cloud instances. And/or companies that can't or won't let anything leave the data center for (real or imagined) regulatory and compliance reasons.

VMware's growth is probably tapering off as everyone who wants very stable, very expensive traditional virt already has it by now. But I don't see all the massive Fortune 500 companies and government agencies divesting themselves of all of their legacy apps and jumping in with both feet to a glorious microservice future in the public cloud.

As MagnumOpus said while I was posting this, I find ~cloud~ much more interesting and exciting, so it's where I've chosen to focus. But I don't blame anyone for staying in VMware land. IMHO it's going to be pretty stable and reliable employment for a long while. Just like all the millions of people writing Java code are still in demand, despite Java's "hype" having worn off at least 10 years ago.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its another tool in the box and you're nuts if you think everyone is just chomping at the bit to jump onto AWS/Azure

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orange sky posted:

Private cloud is an on-prem cloud, but it could be two on prem data centers linked. See for example Azure Pack (not Azure, Azure Pack). It brings elasticity and self service to your Data Center, if you wish to have those.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'll give it to you: Public clouds will be used a lot by startups and companies/individuals like that but the big companies who can afford the CAPEX for on prem solutions will always prefer that. The thing is, people might start using public clouds a lot because it's cheaper, but sooner or later there'll be a huge hack on Microsoft/Amazon's public cloud servers and we can all foresee what that will bring.

That's why I think that Hybrid Cloud has it's space. Hybrid Clouds will be used, but carefully. You can use online storage for backups, DRaaS, something like that, but you try to limit as much as possible having everything outside your company. That's just my 2 cents though.

Also, SaaS. I think that's going to be huge. IaaS, not for the big boys, they'll still spend a lot of money on equipment.

Is a "private cloud" necessarily a bunch of VMs with HA/FT? Or is it spinning up your own IaaS?

Haven't there already have been big public hacks? Bash bug, Xen Hypervisor, etc

I'm feeling a majority of small business will still largely move most of their data to cloud especially with things like Windows 365. Larger organizations will probably split their infrastructure and a lot of Sysadmin work will be spent tying on-prem and cloud services together.

Does this affect all Lenovo products including the "Think" business line?

Gyshall posted:

Private Clouds are useful, hybrid clouds are useful, public clouds are useful.

Depends on the implementation, but they all have their applications.

This true but there's going to be a huge decrease in private clouds or on-prem hardware.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Is a "private cloud" necessarily a bunch of VMs with HA/FT? Or is it spinning up your own IaaS?

Depends which of the 9 million definitions of cloud you choose. But to me, HA/FT is the opposite of cloud. Even if those VM's are hosted in someone else's data center. "Cloud computing" (again, to me) is IaaS. Massively scalable and elastic, relatively unreliable, extremely cheap.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Anyone with Qradar experience in here? I just got handed, as the person who was "running" it got canned, Qradar that hasnt really been setup at all. I've been pouring through the documentation but its pretty cut and dry and doesnt expand on a lot of stuff. Anyone know of some good intro reading into administrating Qradar, be it post/article/something? My first task is to get in there and get it storing 13 months worth of logs but after reading the manuals it suggests using Flow/Event retention, which the defaults are set for and havent been touched since November 2012.

Kinda freaking out cause I've worked with and poked around in Qradar before for some work stuff but have not had to run something this important, especially for a boss who is freaking out cause its an emergency that they just discovered the last guy was doing nothing. Though now that I think about it my anxiety lessens a little cause if that guy skated for 2 and a half plus years surely I can fake it for a month or two while I learn this drat thing.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 19, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

It's your own IaaS, generally. And FT is a clusterfuck.

~cloud~ doesn't care about HA or FT. Your application should gain resiliency through horizontal scaling, not protecting special snowflake machines.

Tab8715 posted:

None of these violated Azure/AWS security zones or allowed you to see other customer's data.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm feeling a majority of small business will still largely move most of their data to cloud especially with things like Windows 365. Larger organizations will probably split their infrastructure and a lot of Sysadmin work will be spent tying on-prem and cloud services together.

SaaS is definitely a thing, especially for smaller businesses.

bull3964 posted:

For us, our client contracts forbid us from using public cloud infrastructure (much to my annoyance as scaling would be so much easier.)

Scaling is the same with private clouds as long as you have the excess hardware. If they have no room to scale at all, why are they bothering to use private infrastructure?

MagnumOpus posted:

I'm not sure I agree that private clouds are irrelevant. There are an awful lot of enterprises with ERP architectures that won't or can't move everything into a public cloud. For example my current client is an ivy league college and while they are trying to move as much as they can into AWS, they will never get all of their data sources migrated off of their current on-premises systems and can hope for a hybrid cloud at best. There are as well a great many such enterprises with private clouds who will not even attempt the move to public offerings due to lingering fears about public cloud intrusions. I think it may be premature to call time of death for the private cloud vendors. The market segment probably won't grow that much but VMWare would not be the first relic to stick around well past its prime.

Having built a VMWare private cloud though I would not jump at the chance again. Between the various cloud implementations and the industry dialogue about DevOps we're in a sort of IT development singularity that I don't see settling down in 2015 at least, and lots of cool things are coming of it. I know I'd rather be focusing on that side of things, but I also know guys who are VMWare storage experts who love polishing the same skillset to increasingly impressive levels. I guess what I'm saying is you can pick your poison this year.
VMware barely registers on the private cloud segment. Traditional virt is not the same thing as "private clouds", and nobody is calling for the death of private cloud vendors, just that VMware is too late to that market to get the kind of commanding share they have in traditional virt.

Polishing "VMware storage" skills is like polishing any other skill which is no longer growing. It's valuable in some regard, but you're not learning anything that's gonna keep you on the cusp of what's happening in 5 years. It's arguably the same position that traditional UNIX admins (Solaris, AIX, whatever) are in, and that mainframe guys were in when UNIX started taking marketshare from them. It's not going away, but it's not a growing market segment anymore, and you're slowly relegating yourself to a pigeonhole.

orange sky posted:

I totally agree about the on-premises buildouts, capex vs. opex, and sensitive data arguments.

Tab8715 posted:

It usually means Openstack, Cloudstack, Eucalyptus, maybe vCloud, and a few other small players on -premises, yeah.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
How is private cloud any different from just running your own data center where you host your internal applications. Am I missing something here, or is it just a retarded buzzword that management invented to convince other management to not completely outsource their existing infrastructure. "Cloud? We already have Cloud! And ours is private!"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Lenovo Think* isn't affected.

Private Cloud is whatever program you put on top of your vcenter / xen / "software-defined datacenter" (new buzzword!) to allow automated provisioning and management - it encompasses IP allocation, a pretty GUI, capacity tracking, ownership, and deployment of various VMs.

Cloudforms (Redhat), Cloudfoundry (VMWare), Openstack (Rackspace), Cloudstack (Citrix), Eucalyptus, are all private cloud products and they all suck in various unique ways. Unfortunately, learning one of these products is like learning a specific application - the knowledge does not generally transfer.

Unless it goes all the way down to the hardware layer (Openstack), HA/FT is generally handled below what you'd think of as the "Cloud Layer".

Edit: Beaten by evol

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 19, 2015

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
:yotj:

Year of the Job?

Okay, my references checked through and I now have an offer to work with an MSP that I mentioned earlier this week. This has by far been the quickest and most painfree employment process I've ever been through, with 1 week from initial contact to offer extension. Of course it's a service desk, serving hedgefunds and the fianncial sector, and it's a 3pm to 12am shift, but I think it's a firm step in a good direction.

on this whole butt thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntPxdWAWq8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Right now the reports are saying there's no way to be sure which model lines are affected or not. Your best bet is to look for the cert in the cert manager for trusted roots.

Here's a site to determine if you are "infected"

https://filippo.io/Badfish/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

evol262 posted:

Scaling is the same with private clouds as long as you have the excess hardware. If they have no room to scale at all, why are they bothering to use private infrastructure?

That's the rub, hardware procurement and installation. Takes time away from things that I would much rather be doing plus makes us more inflexible to peaky demand.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Something that's a real problem that's being ironed out still is that the "private cloud" is now a very complex application you have to have a team to manage / tweak / maintain. It has it's own patches and updates which need to be managed and deployed, and one fuckup can spell doom for your entire basket. And the products are so new that they haven't gone through a decade of shakedown like vmware / xen has. You also end up crossing your fingers and deploying into production because a testing environment for these products is not cost effective, and sometimes there is no actual way to export / import data into the application for real software lifecycle dev/qa/prod promotion, or an automated install for disaster recovery. Lookin' at you, CloudForms.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 19, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

psydude posted:

How is private cloud any different from just running your own data center where you host your internal applications. Am I missing something here, or is it just a retarded buzzword that management invented to convince other management to not completely outsource their existing infrastructure. "Cloud? We already have Cloud! And ours is private!"
It's using the same principles you'd use for running on AWS, internally.

Bhodi posted:

Private Cloud is whatever program you put on top of your vcenter / xen / "software-defined datacenter" (new buzzword!) to allow automated provisioning and management - it encompasses IP allocation, a pretty GUI, capacity tracking, ownership, and deployment of various VMs.
Actually, "private cloud" isn't this stuff. Foreman (as an example of lifecycle management) is not "private cloud" software. While all of the bits do end up talking to Xen or KVM or Hyper-V or vSphere, and you can manage things from there, "private cloud" usually means:

• IPs allocated as "floating" blocks which are publicly accessible, with segmented (VLAN, VXLAN, whatever) private networks for machines to talk to each other
  • Billing and accounting for internal tenants
  • API driven. GUIs don't matter
  • Hopefully some API mechanism for autoscaling
  • Deployment handled by prebuilt images which are configured with cloud-init, with anonymous names, that go away when you stop them
Most of the same stuff, but the way you phrased it makes it seem like XenCenter or vCenter is the same

Bhodi posted:

Cloudforms (Redhat), Cloudfoundry (VMWare), Openstack (Rackspace), Cloudstack (Citrix), Eucalyptus, are all private cloud products and they all suck in various unique ways. Unfortunately, learning one of these products is like learning a specific application - the knowledge does not generally transfer.
Openstack is backed by everyone, basically. Cloudforms/ManageIQ is lifecycle and hybrid cloud management. Openstack is our cloud product.

The knowledge transfers as much as networking knowledge transfers off Cisco. Software-defined networking/storage/etc concepts transfer really well, as does cloud-init and automated provisioning, and scaling, and...

Bhodi posted:

Unless it goes all the way down to the hardware layer (Openstack), HA/FT is generally handled below what you'd think of as the "Cloud Layer".

Edit: Beaten by evol

~cloud~ machines should not be HA or FT at all. If it misbehaves or the machine does, kill it and bring up new ones. Let your application load balancers and service discovery handle resiliency and scaling. If your application needs "HA" or "FT", it is not ~cloud~

bull3964 posted:

That's the rub, hardware procurement and installation. Takes time away from things that I would much rather be doing plus makes us more inflexible to peaky demand.

This isn't a rub. Private cloud installations should already have the hardware procured and installed, waiting for instances.

Bhodi posted:

Something that's a real problem that's being ironed out still is that the "private cloud" is now a very complex application you have to have a team to manage / tweak / maintain. It has it's own patches and updates which need to be managed and deployed, and one fuckup can spell doom for your entire basket. And the products are so new that they haven't gone through a decade of shakedown like vmware / xen has. You also end up crossing your fingers and deploying into production because a testing environment for these products is not cost effective, and sometimes there is no actual way to export / import data into the application for real software lifecycle dev/qa/prod promotion, or an automated install for disaster recovery. Lookin' at you, CloudForms.

Also note that Cloudforms isn't software lifecycle management. For the Red Hat portfolio, you should be looking to use Satellite for that. Yes, really. There is no "one size fits all" product, and it definitely wouldn't be Cloudforms/ManageIQ

evol262 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
This thread is so helpful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This thread basically shows me how much I don't know. It's a lot.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Bhodi posted:

How come? Aren't they all essentially accomplishing the same goal?

I'm coming from a "pet" background and I'm a little confused when I hear we need to make cattle. When I hear an application needs to be scaled I think of increasing vCPUs, RAM, I/O or splitting database, services, to run on multiple servers.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 19, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where the hell does a normal business live in all of this? My CRM software doesn't need to scale to 1000 nodes at the drop of a hat to serve the needs of the business, I just need to install it and it needs to work. Where does an app like that live?

I've tried to "puppetize" a shop of mostly pets and I felt like I was wasting my time the whole way through, because I was spending a week hacking together manifests to build a server that I could build in less than a day (a server that gets replaced every 5 years). So yeah if I'm building some huge webapp that will have thousands of users I see it, but where does that leave the rest of IT?

Are we all just dinosaurs waiting for somebody to replace our business software with a cloud service and put us out of a job?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

evol262 posted:

VMware barely registers on the private cloud segment. Traditional virt is not the same thing as "private clouds", and nobody is calling for the death of private cloud vendors, just that VMware is too late to that market to get the kind of commanding share they have in traditional virt.

This makes a lot of sense, because to the telecom vendor I am specifically thinking of, cloud and virtualization mean VMWare, or XEN,or whatever they can use cheaply. They are usually ahead of the game phone system wise, but have made some very questionable technology choices in the past. The fact that their next big thing is based on aging technology is par for the course.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

~cloud~ machines should not be HA or FT at all. If it misbehaves or the machine does, kill it and bring up new ones. Let your application load balancers and service discovery handle resiliency and scaling. If your application needs "HA" or "FT", it is not ~cloud~

This is what I don't understand, how can I just delete an application/instance and throw an an updated configuration file without causing some outage or losing any data?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

How come? Aren't they all essentially accomplishing the same goal?
  • Cloudfoundry is Platform-as-a-Service. These services (OpenShift, GAE, and Heroku are also in this space) basically provides containers with managed environments so you don't need to worry about the OS. Just deploy your Java or Python or PHP or whatever, and something else handles the rest.
  • Cloudforms is hybrid cloud management, which broadly gives you a one-stop overview of where all your machines are in AWS, Openstack, vCenter, and whatever else all in one place, and lets you provision new ones across any of them.
  • Openstack is Infrastructure-as-a-Service. It's networking, compute, and everything else. It's a platform you can build things on which would need a long overview to tell you how to actually use it
  • Cloudstack is Citrix's also-ran solution when they thought they could stop Openstack early. It's a non-player at this point, basically
  • Eucalyptus aims to provide a 1:1 mapping between AWS and private clouds, with exact API and offering matching. Openstack offers a lot of the same stuff, but the API is different, which means you can't re-use all your scripts and stuff. You can with Eucalyptus

Tab8715 posted:

I'm coming from a "pet" background and I'm a little confused when I hear we need to make cattle. When I hear an application needs to be scaled I think of increasing vCPUs, RAM, I/O or splitting database, services, to run on multiple servers.

You're still basically increasing CPUs and memory available by creating a bunch of smaller machines. Think about it. If you had an application which was maxing a 4U server, and you couldn't scale up anymore, how would you scale out? Apply the same principles, but realizing that the vast majority of applications hardly use anything most of the time, but may need the ability to burst rapidly during [payroll or QE cycles or large builds or frontpage of Reddit]. Plus you may want to be able to click a button to give your developers new machines that are exactly the same. Then use those same images for building the app and deploying it, so you never heard "works on my machine"

There are a lot of good talks on "breaking up the monolith". SOA and microservices are hard, but developers should worry about that. Service discovery through Consul or etcd or other "swarming" solutions let machines establish who's part of the cluster and who's doing what without user intervention and with very little code. Then you front it with HAproxy or whatever to split connections up from your public IP to various webservers, and those, in turn, use pooled connections to something like cassandra or mongodb or whatever that can scale out better than traditional database servers. Or traditional DBs that you have running master-master

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

FISHMANPET posted:

Are we all just dinosaurs waiting for somebody to replace our business software with a cloud service and put us out of a job?

Not if your company still wants a throat to choke.

Once (implausible) uptime requirements and (more importantly) immediate critical response become high-priority items, ~the cloud~ shits the bed.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SubjectVerbObject posted:

This makes a lot of sense, because to the telecom vendor I am specifically thinking of, cloud and virtualization mean VMWare, or XEN,or whatever they can use cheaply. They are usually ahead of the game phone system wise, but have made some very questionable technology choices in the past. The fact that their next big thing is based on aging technology is par for the course.

All of these solutions are running compute on top of existing hypervisors (VMware, Xen, KVM, whatever). You're using different management and provisioning than vCenter or whatever, though.

Commoditizing hypervisors and killing vCenter's importance is why VMware might be in trouble, not that virt is going away. Cloud and virt go hand in hand.

Tab8715 posted:

This is what I don't understand, how can I just delete an application/instance and throw an an updated configuration file without causing some outage or losing any data?

Puppet, chef, whatever to provision it. Your frontends be provisioning connections to the database or swarm when they come up, at which point they can just start accepting connections and go. There are solutions for gracefully restarting instead of doing 100 frontends at once, if you want them.

It basically requires a new development/deployment methodology, and this is where devops is coming out of, large in part.

FISHMANPET posted:

Where the hell does a normal business live in all of this? My CRM software doesn't need to scale to 1000 nodes at the drop of a hat to serve the needs of the business, I just need to install it and it needs to work. Where does an app like that live?

I've tried to "puppetize" a shop of mostly pets and I felt like I was wasting my time the whole way through, because I was spending a week hacking together manifests to build a server that I could build in less than a day (a server that gets replaced every 5 years). So yeah if I'm building some huge webapp that will have thousands of users I see it, but where does that leave the rest of IT?

Your CRM doesn't need to, but your build and dev servers may need to.

If you build it, they will come. Or might come. You were in a university setting, right? What if you could give all the CS/CE/EE students their own VMs, exactly the same, with all the right software, as soon as they registered? What if they could create new ones themselves? From different templates if they needed different stuff?

Traditional applications and traditional virt aren't going away, but there's a definite market for "other" stuff, even in normal businesses.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Not if your company still wants a throat to choke.

Once (implausible) uptime requirements and (more importantly) immediate critical response become high-priority items, ~the cloud~ shits the bed.

No, it doesn't. You do it the same way as always. You run your applications in different geographical locations so you can lose one and keep going in the other. Your applications are already built so losing pieces is not a critical problem. Go look at Netflix's "Chaos Monkey"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

There's certainly a lot LESS value in all of this if your app literally just runs on one server and isn't a lot of work to configure. There's still benefit in having your app's "installation checklist" exist as executable code instead of a document on a wiki, though. You can test the build quickly and easily. Once you've tested it, you know it works and will continue to be done correctly 100% of the time. Making all your changes through config management means you can't forget to update the documentation; the config IS the documentation. If some shitlord manually edits the config, Puppet or w/e will change it back next time it runs. You can keep the whole thing in version control so you can easily answer questions like "huh, performance got a lot worse last Tuesday. What if anything did I change?"

Purely selfishly, you're also putting a very very high demand skill on your resume, too!

edit: And yes, <random CRM app> probably could be outsourced to a SaaS vendor pretty effectively. Which is why long term you want to be focusing on things that won't.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Tab8715 posted:

Article was recently update with:

quote:

[Update: Lenovo has released a list of models that may have had Superfish installed.

G Series: G410, G510, G710, G40-70, G50-70, G40-30, G50-30, G40-45, G50-45
U Series: U330P, U430P, U330Touch, U430Touch, U530Touch
Y Series: Y430P, Y40-70, Y50-70
Z Series: Z40-75, Z50-75, Z40-70, Z50-70
S Series: S310, S410, S40-70, S415, S415Touch, S20-30, S20-30Touch
Flex Series: Flex2 14D, Flex2 15D, Flex2 14, Flex2 15, Flex2 14(BTM), Flex2 15(BTM), Flex 10
MIIX Series: MIIX2-8, MIIX2-10, MIIX2-11
YOGA Series: YOGA2Pro-13, YOGA2-13, YOGA2-11BTM, YOGA2-11HSW
E Series: E10-30]